Q-Bam Historical Map Thread

Nothing on foundation/dissolution but you might want to take a look at artificialCartogrpher's map as bookerawhittaker on DA
DA Link
That's genuinely one of if not the most well put-together Q-BAM I've seen, and I actually used it for cross-referencing to refine Kolchak's internals for China

Adding to what Entrerriano said, I don't think there can be an exhaustive list of Tusi, in the sense that it isn't possible. Tusi could have been down to simple villages and everywhere from that up to small kingdoms, there were several organs of the state with overlapping and conflicting authorities, some which even ruined official accounts that were going to the others.

There has even been at least one attempt to ask the Dalai Lama and his representatives for lists of these polities without any results.

I've uploaded my progress so far on 1884 to DeviantArt, but I want to go back over China, specifically all the Tusi states.
https://www.deviantart.com/vanillabigm/art/1884-Preview-918335216

Does anyone have a comprehensive list or map of Tusi states and their foundation and dissolution dates?
The best thing that we can really do without using up too much time is to go through as many of the wikipedia pages, primary sources, and secondary sources, but then we'd just be doing or own research at that point.
Although, if we really chose to, we could try making our own list of Tusi based on anything we can find, and we can put it into a google doc or something

I've started on something like that, not finished though (this does mean I'm now running three concurrent projects)
Yeah I understand where you're at with that. In fact, I'm currently doing 5 different projects, and I've stunted progress in a lot of them because I stop to work on another or make another, coupled with general real life busy work I've got. So just remember to record your ideas and be patient, and you'll manage your projects more effectively and efficiently.

With this project, community effort helps immensely so don't be afraid to ask

It always pains me to see the Australian colonies bare in maps, so for future reference (these are from my current 1884 project) here are the counties of the South Australia, Victoria, and Tasmania colonies.
1655295363701.png

Hey, me, back after forever.

I've been absolutely struggling with getting bogged down and sidetracked, I had started my 1912 map nearly a year ago at this point, this is a question for those who are able to make maps so quickly. How do you go about making your maps, what program, how do you do your research, and what are some valuable sources (The list on Althistorywiki has not been touched in ages). How do you actually go about making the map, how do you stay motivated, how much a day do you work, etc etc etc.

Crazy Boris

Banned
Hey, me, back after forever.

I've been absolutely struggling with getting bogged down and sidetracked, I had started my 1912 map nearly a year ago at this point, this is a question for those who are able to make maps so quickly. How do you go about making your maps, what program, how do you do your research, and what are some valuable sources (The list on Althistorywiki has not been touched in ages). How do you actually go about making the map, how do you stay motivated, how much a day do you work, etc etc etc.

I use Paint.NET, I have a file with a blank Q-BAM and several layers of references, including terrain, rivers, modern borders, and the borderpool, adjusting visibility and opacity on them to trace when needed. I also keep plenty of patches saved, including Bob Hope’s excellent coastline stuff, that I can put in a new layer.

For research, Wikipedia is my number one source, it’s usually got most of the info I need. If a page doesn’t have what you’re looking for, try it in different languages. The English page for Bulgarian subdivisions is lacking, but Bulgarian Wikipedia has great maps, same for Spanish Wikipedia if you want info on Colombia and Venezuela. Statoids is a good one for divisions, but there are some holes in its data (I couldn’t find districts of Hong Kong before the 1970s, for example), and there’s no maps, but descriptions are provided to help out. The David Rumsey collection is huge and helpful, but doesn’t have anything after the 1960s. The Hisatlas maps are a great source if you can find them, but be sure to have a PDF reader that can zoom in really close for some of them. Euratlas Periodis is amazing, it’s only 21 maps, one every hundred years between 1 AD and 2000, but the detail on them is stellar. Worldstatesmen can be helpful with its chronologies of events for different territories. YouTube videomappers can be really helpful, but just in case, I like to double check things I’m not certain of, not everyone who makes those maps is great at it, and even the best ones make mistakes, so be careful. And when all else fails, google is my last resort, you might not get anywhere and find nothing, but you might get lucky and find a good resource buried in the web. And finally, don’t discount offline resources too, atlases and history books can have plenty of helpful maps you can use for reference, especially books focused on one region or country, a quick visit to the library could provide more than several hours trying to coax a map from the depths of Google.

When making maps, I start in one region, usually wherever the main event of the map’s date is, and work my way outwards from there, one country at a time, but if one area is tough or repetitive, I’ll take a break and come back to it later. I start with national borders, then do subnational, then handle any irregularities like occupations, disputes, and rebellions. Rinse and repeat until the whole map is done.

For motivation, there’s no universal solution, it comes and goes, sometimes I’ll get distracted halfway through a map and quickly churn out an unrelated project, which can actually be good,since it’ll prevent me from getting burned out on a particular map. Don’t be afraid to take breaks if you need it, pushing yourself when you don’t have it in you is only going to cause trouble moving forward. When I’m dedicating most of my day to mapping, it can be anywhere from 2 to 7+ hours of work, depending on how much free time I have and how much I feel like going, again, don’t feel like you have to work on it constantly, take a break if you need to, whether it’s just a few hours or a week, a delayed nap is better than a rushed one.

Any more questions?

Kotoko city states were to the south of Kanem Bornu, Vassalized to it.

Tho we don't know their borders between themselves in this time period, they were all vassals to Kanem Bornu
@DaniCBP I don't know how much this would help but here's an earlier Map someone made of the Kotoko cities in the 19th Century, that's the only time I am sure we have clear info on the political borders between the city states, tho I am sure tid bits of where the border was can b found if you ask/know the right researcher.

There's also a pic that shows exactly how much of the region Bornu vassalized, which would actually matter to your Map.

View attachment 737886
Kotoko city states in 19th Century according to this map from the Chapter "Kotoko City States by Mogens Herman Hansen" from "A Comparative Study of Thirty City-State Cultures". These are the City states in the 14th century as described by European visitors and this is the original Map.
8btxogrpeqw81.png

If anyone thinks they can do the internals for Logone Birni or fix any errors they see, pls go right ahead. So Kotoko are main descendants of the Sao and according to the Paper their state formation began between 1100 and 1400 but given the Sao were pretty advanced themselves, this many be something like how the Swahili appear after an earlier City/Town state culture on the East Africa presumably ended.(Assuming towns like Rhapta were proper city/town states). Anyways, King Idris Alooma (1580 - 1617) vassalized and converted them to Islam.

It seems to line up nicely enough with this Map of Bornu Empire and its Kotoko vassals in 17th and 18th Century by another researcher so I assume its correct enough.

jh6vsw85q4o51.png

Kotoko city states were to the south of Kanem Bornu, Vassalized to it.

Tho we don't know their borders between themselves in this time period, they were all vassals to Kanem Bornu
If its any help, I found this, posted by u/Gargari 2 years ago on reddit

Historical map of the Lake Chad basin between the start of the reign of Mai (king) Idris Alauma of Bornu around 1570 and his death ca. 1600

CE6yK96.png

I include his notes
""A little bit of background:
To my knowledge, this is by far the most detailed map that exists on this time and region. In the process, I extracted information from about 35 academic publications (I could send these if requested) and have been in contact with a few professors who specialize on this topic. I was able to include some of the locations of towns from a old map from Palmer, but apart from that, I entirely had to put the pieces together from the numerous sources.

With this map, I hope to contribute to a popularization of this fascinating era of Human history. Due to eurocentrism in historical science, this region is arguably under-researched (although great scholars like Augustin Holl work hard on changing that) and there is almost no popular awareness about this époque, although it is all but boring. There is almost no easily accessible literature for persons that aren't informed about the issue and even the Wikipedia pages on this part of history is an absolute mess.

And yeah, I'm proud like crazy about this work, the process of creating it was really intense and consumed a lot of time, but I'm quite happy with the result.""

link to page