Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VI (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I figured that they had some common grounds, they were both pro life for example, they were both Washington outsiders, and Carter was far from your typical liberal, I imagined that in a scenario where they were both ditched by their parties they can pragmatically become allies, for Reagan Carter is helpful to pull voters from Carey and to be more appealing in the South, and Carter realizes that this ticket is probably his last shot at a nationwide office
Hmm I mean that is true. They are more similar than other Republican v Democrat matchups.

Another sequel that probably nobody wanted but here it is

I made wikiboxes about President Carey and Vice President Bentsen, next time I'll be covering 1984 and 1988 elections
hughcarey.png
lloydbentsen.png

Inspired by a recent thread on Horatio Seymour winning in 1868:
Screenshot 2022-05-07 at 16-22-29 1868 A Very Startling Election.png

Grant doesn't run, so the Republicans nominate Joshua Chamberlain for President and the radical Benjamin Wade for Vice-President. Meanwhile, the Democrats nominate a war hero of their own, Winfield Hancock. Hancock wins a bare electoral majority with narrow wins in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Indiana. The Republican-held Congress throws out the electoral votes of Georgia on grounds of fraud, and in the contingent election elect Chamberlain and Wade. Shepherded by the powerful Speaker James Blaine, the Republicans implement their vision of reconstruction, and use the same trick they used in 1868 in 1876, preventing the "redemption" of the south.
This, along with some other hijinks, ultimately leads to a parliamentary United States and the abolition of the direct election of Presidents.

Last edited:
I've been enjoying this series a fiat bit. I'm curious, what are this TL's Greens like to be winning so many rural southwestern seats?
The Greens have some residual strength there OTL, lots of strong second or third-placed results. And ITTL after the Liberals fold into the Tories a lot of anti-Conservative vote and activists from the Liberals who OTL made it such a historically strong region for the Liberals and Lib Dems end up in the Greens, a big-tent party of opposition.

BRMRgCO.png

The 2019 UK General Election was held on Thursday 2 May 2019 to elect 650 members to the House of Commons of the United Kingdom. The incumbent Conservative Party, led by Tom Newton Dunn, was re-elected but suffered a significant swing against them, resulting in the narrowest majority government since 1974. With most election polling predicting a second large majority for the Conservatives, this result is widely considered to be the greatest upset since 1995.

The Conservatives in their first term had embarked on several radical policies under the umbrella of the "New Capitalism" agenda; signing free trade agreements with Japan and the United States, privatising several state industries and the government housing stock and heavily restricting immigration and the rights of temporary residents. In addition, the incumbent government had joined the UN-led intervention in the Ethiopian Civil War. Running on the slogan "Strong and Free", the Conservatives hoped to capitalise on the popularity of these measures and characterise the Labour Party as elitist and out of touch.

The Labour Party, led by former Defence Secretary Sarah Smith (and daughter of former Scottish First Secretary and EU Commissioner John Smith), campaigned against Conservative austerity and selloffs, while seeking to atone and apologise for the scandals of the last Labour government. Her strong performance in the campaign, especially at the two televised debates, was credited for avoiding expected losses for the party.

The third parties had mixed results; the New Unionists under Phillip Davies argued that the Conservative Immigration bill didn't go far enough and campaigned on "Common Sense", highlighting Newton Dunn's failure to repeal human rights legislation passed by Ashdown and Malik. The Scottish Nationalists suffered heavy losses due to the unpopularity of the Cunningham Administration in Scotland. The Greens ran a left-leaning campaign focusing on their opposition to Austerity; their leader, Aaron Bastani, had been one of the leaders of the "All Are Welcome" movement formed to oppose the Immigration Act. He heavily criticised the Labour Party for their weak opposition to the bill and support of the Ethiopian intervention, but faced constant controversy of his own owing to his frequent inflammatory comments on Orkut and other Minitel sites.

The unexpected result was blamed on many factors: the strong Labour campaign, a backlash to austerity and strong performances by third parties. But most notably early in the campaign the scandal that came to be known as the Central Office Affair dominated the headlines. Allegations that Conservative staffers had compiled dossiers of damaging and libelous information on opposition politicians and even some Conservative critics of Newton Dunn had lingered in the headlines for months. But the further revelation during the campaign that the source for much of these dossiers were far-right and fascist Minitel pages and outlets caused Conservative polling to drop significantly, forcing Newton Dunn to promise a full inquiry and dismiss Conservative Party Chairman Lord Fallon.

The New Unionists saw their best performance in history while Northern Ireland's Independent Republican Alliance saw their worst, squeezed between hardline Republican independents and the Northern Irish Labour Party. The election also set records for representation, with the highest number of female MPs, with 260 women elected, making up 40% of the House of Commons.

Who Governs Britain?
1978 UK General Election
1987 UK General Election
1995 UK General Election
2003 UK General Election
2012 UK General Election

A long wiki box, but a scene setter to a Scottish-based timeline I've been playing about with for a while. Since it's explaining the current setup of the TL decided to make it a long (and hopefully interesting) box. I've got ideas for it, so hopefully will expand on it in times to come. Enjoy.

Line-Break.png

4WSF6Qo.jpg

Last edited:
T8z0Itu.png

Edward Heath was a British civil servant and amateur sailor who famously disappeared while competing in the Sun-Globe Round-The-World Race, a single handed, round-the-world yacht race.

A decorated veteran of the D-Day Landings, Edward Heath initially worked post-war as a civil servant but his hobby of sailing soon turned into a full-time endeavor, inspired by several major yachting records and races achieved in the 1960s, participating in two transatlantic crossings the Sydney-Hobart yacht race. The ailing Sun newspaper, recently purchased by Robert Maxwell, sponsored a round-the-world yacht race and personally sponsored Edward Heath, portraying him as a patriotic hero as the most prominent British contestant.

While Heath and his yacht Morning Cloud started off ahead it soon fell behind, and his intermittent communications caused consternation amid concerns that his over-engineered yacht was ill-prepared for rough Atlantic weather and he had been pressured to set sail and continue sailing by his sponsors despite his own personal safety concerns. Heath's last radio transmission was broadcasted on July 17 1969; he has not been seen since. Despite an extensive international search (also sponsored by Maxwell), no trace of Heath or the Morning Cloud has ever been found. He was declared dead in December of that year.

Heath's mysterious disappearance has been the subject of much speculation and fascination from commentators and artists in the years and decades since. Conspiracy theories speculated that he had been abducted or killed by pirates or a naval vessel of a hostile power or that Heath, a former civil servant at the Ministry of Defence, was a KGB spy who used the race to successfully defect. It has inspired a number of books, stage plays and films, including a documentary, Deep Water (2004) and the feature film Morning Cloud (2011), in which Heath is portrayed by Hugh Grant.

Edward Heath is not to be confused with British musician and big band conductor Ted Heath, who died the same year.

A long wiki box, but a scene setter to a Scottish-based timeline I've been playing about with for a while. Since it's explaining the current setup of the TL decided to make it a long (and hopefully interesting) box. I've got ideas for it, so hopefully will expand on it in times to come. Enjoy.

This is a Turtledove winning infobox right here, if such a thing exists.

Status
Not open for further replies.