British Florida: the TL

Words of warning, I'm not American so I'm deep diving into some areas of history that I'm not overly familiar with.

Andrew Jackson sucks.

Nephi

Banned
Well, Washington's plan was originally to "civilize" the tribes of the southeast, and assumed that in the future, when they dressed like white men, prayed like white men, farmed like white men (with black slaves), and spoke like white men, that they would be accepted by white men. So yeah, I'd say you're bang on what the founders envisioned for the area.

Well yeah that's horrible and by now they'd probably not visibly exist but maybe being snuffed out like that is better than actual murder 😳 absolutely horrible a choice

The relationship with the Native Americans will be important, but that will fade as time passes and the land becomes thicker settled. I suspect that the wheels come off in the late 1820s and early 1830s as the southern land boom happened as per OTL.

The relationship with the Native Americans will be important, but that will fade as time passes and the land becomes thicker settled. I suspect that the wheels come off in the late 1820s and early 1830s as the southern land boom happened as per OTL.
Thanks for your continued input :)

I agree. Having the British and Americans to play off against each other might give them some breathing room, but when they inevitably go to war with one another, the natives quite literally get caught in the crossfire.

There may be more integration, and we could see the development of a metis-type culture, but yeah...I mentioned the OTL pop went from about 9k to about 40k of MS&AL from 1800 to 1810. By 1820, it was over 220,000.

British Florida could butterfly an Andrew Jackson presidency...but then the question becomes, is he replaced by a Henry Clay type who is against Indian Removal? Or by another Jackson type who campaigns on it?

I may be pessimistic, but I think that running a campaign for President on the basis of moving the natives west of the Mississippi is a winner.

Maybe the Choctaw and Chickasaw, by taking a pro-American stance, can illicit some sympathy...but ultimately I think their land is too valuable in the eyes of the Americans.

An interesting minor butterfly is that Mississippi would initially be settled from the Northwest rather than the Southwest ITTL, or also possibly MS&AL are split N/S rather than E/W. (Assuming they get split, which they may not).

Stars Aligning
Jay's Treaty eventually opened up the Northwest Country to American settlement.

As the Americans pushed further west, indigenous apprehension grew. Ohio became a state in 1804; the Chief of the Shawnee, Black Hoof, urged the Shawnee to adapt to American customs, with the hope that they would gain a Shawnee territory in the Northwest Country.

By 1806, however, Tecumseh's younger brother, Tenskwatawa, began travelling the region, preaching a message of resistance to the foreigners, and of adherence to traditional customs and values. His message began to spread far and wide, and he became known as "the Shawnee Prophet"

Several important Shawnee warleaders became converts of this religious movement, including Blue Jacket and Roundhead. Indigenous people from many tribes began to settle near Tenskwatawa's home (near modern Greenville, Indiana). As "Prophetstown" grew, American anxieties increased, and Tecumseh initially tried to balance the anxieties of both groups.

However, governor of Indiana Territory, William Henry Harrison, negotiated the Treaty of Fort Wayne (OTL 1809) with some of the indigenous leaders of the area, purchasing nearly 12,000 sq km of land in what would be come Indiana and Illinois.

The indigenous leaders in the area who weren't consulted were livid; the reaction in Prophetstown was outrage, and Tecumseh began travelling farther and wider to pull together a "Confederacy" which could stand up to American aggression.

After travels through Upper Canada, Tecumseh headed south from Indiana in the summer of 1811.

Earlier that year, the Great Comet of 1811 had first been spotted. It was visible to the naked eye in the United Kingdom by August, and became conspicuous in the night sky of the United States by September. At this time, Harrison marched on Prophetstown with over 1,000 soldiers, and eventually forced the natives to evacuate Prophetstown.

Meanwhile, Tecumseh continued his journey through the southeast. The Choctaw, whose lands were split by Britain and the USA, refused his overtures and insisted on neutrality; the Chickasaws had friendly relations with the USA.

But many of the Muskogee Creeks felt the same concerns as the Shawnee - apprehension at increased American settlement on their traditional lands, as well as consternation with the loss of traditional culture by many of their own; as Tecumseh negotiated with the Creek leaders in the fall of 1811, he pointed to the Comet - he said that he was the "Shooting Star" of the Natives, and that his brother, the Shawnee Prophet, had predicted that he would lead a successful resistance against the Americans.

As Tecumseh headed north at the end of Novemeber, 1811, he assured the debating Creeks that all his Brother's prophecies would be proven true - and assured them that the Creator would send them a great sign to know he spoke the truth. Many were of course skeptical, and in the weeks that passed, his fiery rhetoric seemed to fade as the chances of a 'sign' seemed slim.

In the early hours of December 16th, 1811, many residents of New Madrid, Missouri Territory, (in the southeast corner of the territory, on the Mississippi river and across from the Mississippi territory), were awoken with violent shocks. Wave after wave spread out from the area, until it seemed the entire Mississippi Valley was convulsing. Could there be a more clear sign of the Creator's will then the devastating earthquakes, which lasted with aftershocks until February, and that were, to this day, the largest ever recorded east of the rockies?

To many of the Muskogee Creeks - there could not be a greater sign of the righteousness of the cause of resistance.

Thanks for your continued input :)

I agree. Having the British and Americans to play off against each other might give them some breathing room, but when they inevitably go to war with one another, the natives quite literally get caught in the crossfire.

There may be more integration, and we could see the development of a metis-type culture, but yeah...I mentioned the OTL pop went from about 9k to about 40k of MS&AL from 1800 to 1810. By 1820, it was over 220,000.

British Florida could butterfly an Andrew Jackson presidency...but then the question becomes, is he replaced by a Henry Clay type who is against Indian Removal? Or by another Jackson type who campaigns on it?

I may be pessimistic, but I think that running a campaign for President on the basis of moving the natives west of the Mississippi is a winner.

Maybe the Choctaw and Chickasaw, by taking a pro-American stance, can illicit some sympathy...but ultimately I think their land is too valuable in the eyes of the Americans.

An interesting minor butterfly is that Mississippi would initially be settled from the Northwest rather than the Southwest ITTL, or also possibly MS&AL are split N/S rather than E/W. (Assuming they get split, which they may not).
Without the Battle of New Orleans, a Jackson presidency is probably butterflied away. Big question is what happens to Louisiana, with the British n Florida they're going to have a more vested interest in the area than OTL, and any war will see a British squadron right next to New Orleans to begin with, along with people who know the area and won't be walking into the area blind.

As i understand it, Jackson got lucky in discovering the british plans to attack New Orleans. Its entirely plausible for the british to show up there with only a little forewarning from Lafitte, meaning that the British would be able to land troops and supplies in a more ideal location

Without the Battle of New Orleans, a Jackson presidency is probably butterflied away. Big question is what happens to Louisiana, with the British n Florida they're going to have a more vested interest in the area than OTL, and any war will see a British squadron right next to New Orleans to begin with, along with people who know the area and won't be walking into the area blind.

As i understand it, Jackson got lucky in discovering the british plans to attack New Orleans. Its entirely plausible for the british to show up there with only a little forewarning from Lafitte, meaning that the British would be able to land troops and supplies in a more ideal location
Thank you both for these! I'm Canadian and was straight up taught that we won the Battle of New Orleans .

It turns out - no, no we didn't (nor did the British, which is what I mean).

The Canadas had about 6,000 British Soldiers on the eve of the war in 1812; the Floridas probably would have a similar amount? I would also think fewer is possible.

I think ITTL that St Augustine serves as the "Southern Halifax" prior to the alt war of 1812 (it will still move to Bermuda after), as was Britain's plan.

So St Augustine stands to benefit from the blockade - if it isnt burn down like York!

The butterflies are a factor in the southeast - the British presence could butterfly the Creek civil war that weakened the Creeks before they fought Jackson's militia. Or maybe not. Or maybe there is a Choctaw civil war?

It seems likely that the British have more indigenous support in the south than OTL, but would this be decisive? Given how things went in the Canadas...I kinda expect the Floridas to struggle mightily until reinforcements arrive...

And West Florida is north of 31 is probably going to have more American settlers than non-American settlers...

It seems like this alt war of 1812 may be bloodier and nastier than the one IOTL.

All this being said...it *still* means probably a better performance, eventually, by the British in the south - Britis Florida would be more populated and better prepared than Spanish Florida. A victory at New Orleans is certainly a possibility! Mr Stenhouse was maybe actually teaching alt history!

The British are going to want to keep New Orleans if they can take it;

The Americans are going to want to keep West Florida if they can take it.

There are no clear answers to me yet, so if you have more information or suggestions, please, keep them coming!

The alt- Battle of New Orleans seems to be the key factor in the alt- War of 1812.

I've seen it suggested that IOTL the British may have tried to repudiate the Treaty of Ghent had they been victorious; if they suspected they had higher likelihood of being victorious they have have waited to negotiate.

British Florida will clearly be better defended than Spanish Florida was - but this may also have the effect of making the American South more heavily defended as well.

It seems to me incredibly unlikely that the Americans would begin a war with Britain without reinforcing New Orleans.

IOTL, I think the Americans were unlucky not to take Windsor in the opening days; likely some British Fort like Natchez is taken - in an area close to the American border, in Choctaw country (who are neutral or American leaning), and with local militias split in their support.

I also see the Americans having some success in moving on Biloxi and toward Mobile from New Orleans.

I might not have to think *too* hard or dwell on it too long though, because likely everything goes Status Quo Antebellum.

The British will likely be looking at parts of West Florida as impossible to hold permanently; although they will be in no inclination to let them go without something in return.

This something might not be apparent at the time...

But, after the War, the Americans will still need a Treaty to fix the border with Spain/Mexico; and so the Americans are still likely to end up with a claim on the PNW - but ITTL, West Florida and/or New Orleans may be disputed.

I actually think the British at this stage are more concerned with keeping the Americans off the Pacific, while for their part, the Americans are more interested in New Orleans and the southeast than the PNW.

The British could agree to cede territories occupied & claimed by America in the southeast for the Americans dropping their claims to the PNW - or at the very least dropping their claims to land north of the Columbia river? (Giving Britain most of OTL Washington state?)

Thoughts?

There will also likely be thousands of Creek refugees moving into British territory; so West Florida north of 31 could become a Native State if kept in British hands? Perhaps in conjunction with a USA that doesnt adopt Indian Removal, and (north) West Florida is sort of the alt-Oklahoma?

Do we still get Florida Man in this universe?

A world where we can't laugh at Florida Man is a dystopia.
Possibly, since that phenomenon is actually the result of a pretty great law and not any moral failing on Floridians:

Edit: also, in this universe, "Floridian" may be pronounced "Flaw-region"

Last edited:
"When you get to a fork in the road, take it"
I figure it's better to forge forward and retcon if necessary than to get stuck in the weeds.

I'll start moving forward with an alt-Wo1812 where New Orleans isn't captured; I can explore how things would be different if New Orleans is captured after.

The immediate impact of the War was a severe disruption of the economy of the Floridas, which had been in full cotton boom.

Thousands of Creek refugees and their slaves are forced out of Georgia and OTL northern Alabama into West Florida, while during and after the War many pro-American settlers in the Floridas would move to the USA.

As in Canada, after 1815, the Floridas ban immigration from the USA for several decades in an attempt to keep the area under British control.

At first, the American economy had actually suffered more (due to the effects of the successful naval blockade on foreign trade), and had a harder time bouncing back...the USA would stay in recession until about 1821.

The slow recovery of the USA's cotton exporting in fact helps Florida's recovery. During this period, as burned cities are rebuilt and forts upgraded, Florida begins to evolve into a wealthy, developed colony.

And progress is being made, albeit slowly, toward abolition. In 1822, it became illegal in the Mississippi Territory to kill your own slave without good reason (which, believe it or not, counts as "progress").

In 1824, although public slave auctions were already rare in the British West Indies, they became illegal, as did splitting up families and couples by selling one of them.

These must be seen as very minor impositions on the owners to have some semblance of human dignity, but to some of the planters, it is seen as a constraint on the exercise of their capital. (Restrictions on their sale lead to a reduction in their value, meaning wealthy slave owners would have a financial incentive to move to the USA, where their slaves are worth more, because they have fewer restrictions governing their sale and treatment).

From around this time, the Planters who most enthusiastically support slavery are more likely than the population as a whole to move north into the USA. The phenomenon of course is most noted after the Act Abolishing Slavery in 1833, but it began at least a decade earlier.

Prior to these double effects - the banning of American immigration and the improvement of the conditions of slaves in the Floridas - there would be little to no discernible difference in the racial attitudes of white Floridians compared to their American brethren in Georgia, Charleston, or Mississippi.

This would begin to change, every so slowly, after the war.

Slavery in the West Indies, however, was no benevolent institution, and slave revolts would have been just as frequent and bloody in the Floridas as elsewhere.

As happened in many West Indian colonies and American states, Free people of colour may lose their rights of citizenship (or have them restricted) in the years leading up to the War of 1812 as the plantation economy is expanding.

In 1831, perhaps in response to a wave of violent slave rebellions in the West Indies, the British Parliament passed a law which guaranteed free people of colour the same rights of citizenship (with the same property qualifications) as free white citizens.

Due to undemocratic nature of the colonies and the property qualifications for voting, this didnt mean a substantial increase in the political power of free blacks at first - but it did put them on a sound legal footing they had lacked before. They were citizens, and they were allowed to live in Florida.

Of course, this gave some extra punch to the Act Abolishing Slavery.

Passed in 1833, the provisions of the act were that beginning on January 1st 1834, all slaves in the British West Indies, British North America and Cape Colony would become indentured servants - with an indenture of six years, ending 1840. During this time they would not be paid, but would be limited to 9 hours of work per day, six days per week.

Slaveowners were entitled to compensation. The amount per slave was approximately 20 pounds (although this varied quite substantially, depending, it seemed, on how well liked one was by the Crown).

This was deliberately set significantly lower than the market value to avoid smuggling and "breeding" for profit.

Another stipulation was that, to get your compensation, a slave owner had to travel to London.

(It should be noted that compensation paid to the slaves was never considered).

Because of the cost of a trip to London, this meant that only the wealthiest planters could realistically travel to London to get their funds.

Since emancipation had also changed the nature of their livelihood or stood to shortly - the former slaveowners were in fact just as likely to sell their properties in Florida and stay in England or move on to some other location with their compensation.

There was also, as previously mentioned, a strong incentive to move with your slaves to the USA.

In East Florida, a smaller percentage of whites are slaveowners, and therefore the numbers of those who leave are smaller proportionally.

In West Florida, a higher percentage of the white population were slaveowners, and therefore a higher percentage leave - the planters being disproportionately Anglo, this has the effect of slowing French language attrition in West Florida.

There were of course those who would take their compensation and use it to try to start new business ventures in Florida - other types of plantation or even railway and canal building.

As the "apprenticeship" period was winding down, absenteeism increased. This wasnt much of a problem, because the sale of planters' property had itself induced somewhat of a downturn in the economy, reducing demand for apprentice labour.

By the time the period ended, and the freedmen were able to walk off the plantations for good, a glut in the global supply of cotton had already resulted in a severe depression in the USA cotton belt, which would last into the early 1840s.

At this time, many of the freed slaves left the towns and plantations to join the already established freedmen's villages which had dotted the interior for decades.

And, as word spread in the southern states about the freedom on offer in the Floridas, a high stakes game developed between southern militias, intent on securing the border and preventing any slaves from escaping, and the slaves, who, increasingly throughout the 1840s and 1850s would risk everything to make it to liberty in Florida.

Last edited:
So what's more likely? The British offering Creeks compensation for their slaves? Or abolition leading to the Creeks becoming pro-American?

there would be little to no discernible difference in the racial attitudes of white Floridians compared to their American brethren in Georgia, Charleston, or Mississippi.

These must be seen as very minor impositions on the owners to have some semblance of human dignity, but to some of the planters, it is seen as a constraint on the exercise of their capital. (Restrictions on their sale lead to a reduction in their value, meaning wealthy slave owners would have a financial incentive to move to the USA, where their slaves are worth more, because they have fewer restrictions governing their sale and treatment)
I feel obligated to point out that this wouldn't be universal among planters, nany would have embraced the similar racial attitudes to the Spanish and French, among the most prominent of these being Zephaniah Kingsley, who married then freed his west African wife and whose mixed race children went on to run the Plantation after he left Florida for Hati when post-annexation Florida adopted the stricter racial laws of the US

And, as word spread in the southern states about the freedom on offer in the Floridas, a high stakes game developed between southern militias, intent on securing the border and preventing any slaves from escaping, and the slaves, who, increasingly throughout the 1840s and 1850s would risk everything to make it to liberty in Florida.
Also, this sounds likely to produce some slave catching squads willing to cross the border to try and kidnap blacks, whether or not they're actually runaways wouldn't bother them a jot. The St Mary river is a lot less imposing border than the great lakes & St Lawrence, especially since they then can retreat directly into the American south rather than travel through potentially hostile northern states

I feel obligated to point out that this wouldn't be universal among planters, nany would have embraced the similar racial attitudes to the Spanish and French, among the most prominent of these being Zephaniah Kingsley, who married then freed his west African wife and whose mixed race children went on to run the Plantation after he left Florida for Hati when post-annexation Florida adopted the stricter racial laws of the US
Absolutely. The law changes in 1831 confirming rights for Free blacks in Florida will be coming just as the rights for Free Blacks in the southern states are being restricted again; the existence of Florida ITTL creates a "release valve" in either direction, with the most opposed to racial equality and abolition more likely to move to the USA (although due to the numbers involved are not likely to have a noticeable impact on the culture), while you will see an underground railroad, as well as migration of Free Blacks, mixed race couples and perhaps even a few southerners with abolitionist sympathies begin to move into Florida, and over time the attitudes will begin to differ - which perhaps just accelerates the movement