As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Does anybody like the idea rupert murdoch taking donald trummps place of as buying out barum baily circus and the circus world themepark. If so would then build worlds of wonder in vegas or would ne be more likely to rethme circus world as worlds of wonder

PNWKing

Banned
I saw the cartoon schedule, and all I can think is that CBS, through DC, should buy TSR. They already have a relationship, considering that Screen Gems has made a Dungeons & Dragons cartoon.

I saw the cartoon schedule, and all I can think is that CBS, through DC, should buy TSR. They already have a relationship, considering that Screen Gems has made a Dungeons & Dragons cartoon.
As long as they don't make a division with a similar acronym, like Turner Sports Radio for instance, I'm cool with this.

Entertainment News for September 1984
Fans at the Hoosier Dome gave the Colts a standing ovation during player introductions ahead of their home opener. But as nice as it is to have an NFL team to call our own, there are still a few of us who kinda wished Pete Rozelle was more open to letting the team to change their name to the Indiana Joneses.
- The Indianapolis Star

NAMCO, parent company of Denver's NHL franchise, the Colorado Rockies, was outbid by Pat Bowlen for the sale of the NFL Broncos this past summer. Today (Septermber 17) NAMCO and Coors representatives will meet with NBA Commissioner David Stern to discuss their proposed joint-purchase of the Denver Nuggets before the season begins.
- The Denver Post

Jim Henson's "Muppet Babies" represents the start of a new era for both Henson and Hanna-Barbera.
- Entertainment Tonight

Disney purchases eighteen Commodore computers as part of its transition to the Computer Animated Production System, developed in conjunction with Amblin Entertainment and its computer graphics division Pixar. The CAPS computers will be distributed evenly between Disney's flagship feature animation department and Grantray-Lawrence, Disney's television animation division. Additional CAPS computers are being ordered as part of 20th Century-Fox's revival of its Movietoons theatrical shorts.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Warner Amex Satellite Entertainment rejects Rupert Murdoch's bid.
- TV Guide

Frankenweenie (1984 Film)
Frankenweenie
0*DkemY5tXwNLEm1Uk.jpeg

Released by Walt Disney Pictures on October 26, 1984

After a few long years behind the drawing board at Disney's animation department, Tim Burton could not wait to branch out in to live action filmmaking. After wowing Walt with his Vincent short, Burton got finally got his chance with a pet project he called Frankenweenie, a playful and lighthearted spoof of Universal's Depression-era horror classics.

Released in a double bill with the Vincent short, Frankenweenie tells the tale of Victor Frankenstein (Barret Oliver), a boy who liked to make home movies of his beloved English Bull Terrier named Sparky. At school, Victor is envied by his middle school classmates, his next door neighbor Elsa van Helsing (Sofia Coppola), the overconfident Toshiaki (Jonathan Ke Quan), the mischievous Edgar (Jerry O'Connell), the gullible Bob (Jeff Cohen) the "weird" and eccentric Yvonne (Tiffany Brissette) and the vain and jealous Nassor (River Phoenix). However, Sparky's career as a movie star is short lived when he his hit by a car, leaving Victor distraught and depressed. The next school day, Victor learns from Mr Rzykruski (Vincent Price) about electrical impulses, inspiring him to exhume Sparky's body to bring him back to life, which he does.

Once Sparky is reanimated, Victor is pleased with the result of his hard work. Unbeknownst to Victor and his parents (Daniel Stern and Shelly Duvall), Sparky spent his first day back from the dead on a stroll through the neighborhood, frightening Elsa by casting a shadow on her playhouse window. As a result, the adults are thrown in to a paranoid panic. Back at school, Edgar tricks Victor in to revealing how he revived Sparky. As a result, Yvonne's kitten Mr Whiskers becomes a mutant Bat-Cat, Toshiaki's turtle grows in to a Gamera, Bob's sea monkeys become mutant amphibians, and a hamster mummy once belonging to Nassor is thrown in to the mix for good measure. In a stupid move to hopefully calm the frightened local PTA chapter, the school fires Rzykurski for supposedly encouraging the kids to unleash their creations on the neighborhood, and replace him with a butch and strict Gym Teacher (Sigourney Weaver).

05_Sofia_Coppola_Frankenweenie_1984_Tim_Burton.jpg

Later in the evening at the New Holland county fair, Elsa, who was supposed to be crowned the "Little Dutch Girl" for that year, is alerted by a flying Mr Whiskers that Victor and Sparky are in trouble, and so, Whiskers leads Elsa through the crowds for the exits. Meanwhile, an angry mob chases Victor and Sparky down several city blocks. By pursuing the boy and his dog, the mob leaves the county fair wide open for the other reanimated monsters to terrorize the festivities. Elsa finds Victor and the two team up to find Sparky hiding inside the windmill. When one mobster uses a cigarette lighter to see inside the windmill, the structure accidentally ignites. Sparky points and barks to the direction of an upper window through which Elsa and Victor jump to escape, but Elsa restrains Victor when he tries to go back for Sparky. The Windmill gives way and Sparky is once again, killed instantly. Recognizing Sparky's bravery, the townsfolk revive him with jumper cables and celebrate his second resurrection. Sparky gets a smooch from a Bride of Frankenstein-like poodle named Persephone, and our story ends.

Copied and pasted from the original American Magic thread.​

Last edited:
NAMCO, parent company of Denver's NHL franchise, the Colorado Rockies, was outbid by Pat Bowlen for the sale of the NFL Broncos this past summer. Today (Septermber 17) NAMCO and Coors representatives will meet with NBA Commissioner David Stern to discuss their proposed joint-purchase of the Denver Nuggets before the season begins.
- The Denver Post

Jim Henson's "Muppet Babies" represents the start of a new era for both Henson and Hanna-Barbera.
- Entertainment Tonight

Disney purchases eighteen Commodore computers as part of its transition to the Computer Animated Production System, developed in conjunction with Amblin Entertainment and its computer graphics division Pixar. The CAPS computers will be distributed evenly between Disney's flagship feature animation department and Grantray-Lawrence, Disney's television animation division. Additional CAPS computers are being ordered as part of 20th Century-Fox's revival of its Movietoons theatrical shorts.
- The Hollywood Reporter

Warner Amex Satellite Entertainment rejects Rupert Murdoch's bid.
- TV Guide
Namco owning one and a half sports teams? I like that brand of the unusual.

Hopefully, Bert and Ernie can be retired from Saturdays this time around.

Not gonna lie, I have pretty high hopes that the Movietoons revival does well.

Hallelujah!

On a sidenote, could we see a revival of The Fox and the Crow on CBS Saturday Morning, now that Screen Gems has been rebooted back to its roots?

PNWKing

Banned
I guess Coors makes sense because people drink beer at basketball games. But who owns the Zephyrs and could they sell to Coors? I wonder if Namco could privately fund the OTL Ball Arena with all the money from Pac-Man. For that matter, there's also the home rights to Pac-Man. I'm sure Walt, Jr. is talking to the Namco executives on that issue.

Entertainment News for October 1984
Critics agree that Muppet Babies is the best new series on Saturday Mornings.
- TV Guide

Animation legend Bob Clampett, 71, receives a pacemaker following a health scare this past summer. Clampett's recent public appearance was here at Comic Con, on behalf of CBS/Columbia Pictures Home Video, to promote the VHS/Beta/Laserdisc release of his Beany and Cecil cartoons.
- The San Diego Union

The Crumb Brothers, Victor Moscoso, Rick Griffin, Dan O'Neill and Gilbert Shelton hold firm in their support of fellow underground cartoonist Rocky Lorenzo. This comes after a warrant was issued by the Utah state attorney general for distributing obscene material at Salt Lake-area comic shops. If that wasn't enough, Lorenzo's thirteen year old son was removed from his Potrero Hill home with a black eye and burns on his arms and legs. With an additional eight men coming forward with accusations, the San Francisco City and County prosecutor's office now feels they can prove the 43-year old had been a violent homophobe.
- The Oakland Tribune

A Pac-Man arcade machine was spotted being carried on a dolly into the McNichols Sports Arena in a apparent sign that the NBA Board of Governors have approved NAMCO's joint-bid to buy the Denver Nuggets in collaboration with Coors Brewing Company. Pete Coors, 38, heir to his family's beer fortune has been elected to the board of directors of NAMCO's North American branch as the Japanese video game giant continues to plant its roots in the Mile High City.
- The Denver Post

The Coors/NAMCO partnership currently buying the Denver Nuggets could be an opportunity to tap into a market for video games for the 21 and up crowd.
- The Wall Street Journal

Critics agree that Muppet Babies is the best new series on Saturday Mornings.
- TV Guide

Animation legend Bob Clampett, 71, receives a pacemaker following a health scare this past summer. Clampett's recent public appearance was here at Comic Con, on behalf of CBS/Columbia Pictures Home Video, to promote the VHS/Beta/Laserdisc release of his Beany and Cecil cartoons.
- The San Diego Union

The Crumb Brothers, Victor Moscoso, Rick Griffin, Dan O'Neill and Gilbert Shelton hold firm in their support of fellow underground cartoonist Rocky Lorenzo. This comes after a warrant was issued by the Utah state attorney general for distributing obscene material at Salt Lake-area comic shops. If that wasn't enough, Lorenzo's thirteen year old son was removed from his Potrero Hill home with a black eye and burns on his arms and legs. With an additional eight men coming forward with accusations, the San Francisco City and County prosecutor's office now feels they can prove the 43-year old had been a violent homophobe.
- The Oakland Tribune

A Pac-Man arcade machine was spotted being carried on a dolly into the McNichols Sports Arena in a apparent sign that the NBA Board of Governors have approved NAMCO's joint-bid to buy the Denver Nuggets in collaboration with Coors Brewing Company. Pete Coors, 38, heir to his family's beer fortune has been elected to the board of directors of NAMCO's North American branch as the Japanese video game giant continues to plant its roots in the Mile High City.
- The Denver Post

The Coors/NAMCO partnership currently buying the Denver Nuggets could be an opportunity to tap into a market for video games for the 21 and up crowd.
- The Wall Street Journal
Just wait until Garfield and Friends shows up. Then again, it's still too early to call on the likelihood of the show being a hit.

The implication that Walt Disney Sr. could live beyond Bob Clampett has me in a bit of a fanciful mood.

I get that you can't have the good without the bad, but this Rocky makes me wonder how many people turned their noses at the Moose, Squirrel, and Italian Stallion.

I say, could the likes of Mappy and Galaga be next in line for the arena? And for that matter, could we see a new wing in place there for the kiddies?

I'd like to see the stuff they'd cook up for them! Although, there are some OTL examples we could look into for the market, like Yokai Dochuki and Wonder Momo. Not to mention Fox's dub of Urusei Yatsura, which is still impressive BTW, could lead to a more adult-friendly audience for animation and gaming alike.

The Jungle Book (1984 Film)
The Jungle Book
9474_1.jpg

Released by Walt Disney Pictures on November 9, 1984

Inspired by the Rudyard Kipling Mowgli stories.

Directed by
Don Bluth

Executive Producers
Roy E. Disney
Wolfgang Reitherman
Whitey Larkin

Story
Pete Young
Steve Hulett
Ed Gombert
Vance Gerry
Burny Mattinson
Floyd Norman

Key Animators
Glen Keane
Gary Goldman
John Pomeroy
Ted Thomas
John Kimball
Ron Husband
Randy Cartwright
Ron Clements
John Musker
Mike Gabriel
Mark Dindal
Chris Buck
Henry Selick
Tim Burton

Musical score by
James Horner

Songs
"The Bare Necessities"
Written by Robert and Richard Sherman
Sung by Bill Murray

"You'll Be in My Heart"
Written by James Horner and Joe Raposo
Sung by Debbie Reynolds

"I Wanna Be Like You"
Sung by Brian Setzer and Bill Murray

"That's What Friends Are For"
Sung by Eric Idle, Freddie Starr, Daniel Abbott, Chad Stuart and Tony Jay

"Trust In Me"
Sung by Vincent Price

"The Elephant March"
Sung by David Ogden Stiers and the Disney chorus

"My Own Home"
Sung by Prisha Ram

Voices
Bill Murray as Baloo the Bear
John Cleese as Bagheera the Panther
Gavin Patel [1] as Mowgli the Man-Cub
Vincent Price as Kaa the Snake
Tony Jay as Shere Khan the Tiger
Brian Setzer as King Louie
Prisha Ram [1] as Shanti

The Wolves
George Takei as Akela
Ben Wright as Rama
Debbie Reynolds as Raksha

The Elephants
David Ogden Stiers as Colonel Hathi
June Foray as Mrs. Hathi
Seth Green (debut) as Hathi, Jr.

The Vultures
Eric Idle as Buzzie
Freddie Starr as Flaps
Chad Stuart as Ziggy
Daniel Abbott as Dizzy

[1] Fictional voice actors.

The Jungle Book was the unofficial Disney debut of journeyman animator Daniel Abbott. His performance as a vulture parody of Frankie Goes Hollywood singer Holly Johnson was a last minute addition to the film's soundtrack. Abbott recorded his vocals simultaneously while undergoing an animation tryout with Eric Larson, the same man who mentored many of Disney's newer animators. After his vocal work on The Jungle Book, Abbott's pencil test made a good enough impression for Disney to offer him a position at 20th Century-Fox, which he accepted. At Fox, Abbott was reunited with former mentor Richard Williams for a project based on Gary K. Wolf's detective novel.​

Just wait until Garfield and Friends shows up. Then again, it's still too early to call on the likelihood of the show being a hit.

The implication that Walt Disney Sr. could live beyond Bob Clampett has me in a bit of a fanciful mood.

I get that you can't have the good without the bad, but this Rocky makes me wonder how many people turned their noses at the Moose, Squirrel, and Italian Stallion.

I say, could the likes of Mappy and Galaga be next in line for the arena? And for that matter, could we see a new wing in place there for the kiddies?

I'd like to see the stuff they'd cook up for them! Although, there are some OTL examples we could look into for the market, like Yokai Dochuki and Wonder Momo. Not to mention Fox's dub of Urusei Yatsura, which is still impressive BTW, could lead to a more adult-friendly audience for animation and gaming alike.

1) Garfield will be in good shape as Mark Evanier will still be part of it ITTL. As I mentioned a while back, I met Mark at a few comic conventions IOTL and he was a great guy to talk to. His reverence for Jack Kirby is also evident in a book he wrote called Kirby: King of Comics.

2) And you'll be delighted to know that Wolfgang Reitherman will be around for a while longer.

3) I'm sure there are plenty that can separate Mr. Lorenzo from the other Rockies. Put it this way, there are many OJ's, but only one Simpson. Likewise, there are many Johns but only one Kricfalusi and so on.

4) Yes, those will be there too. Other teams around North America will follow suit if the arcade at McNichols Arena proves to be a good revenue stream for both the Rockies and Nuggets.

"Obviously, everybody knew the name Namco from playing Pac-Man. In the 80's, almost every kid we went to school with suddenly wanted to work for Namco. I mean, their presence in Colorado and the impact they had in the community was THAT huge when we were kids."
- Matt Stone and Trey Parker; 1999 Interview

5) Don't forget about 20th Century-Fox's Games of the Century for Atari consoles.

1) Garfield will be in good shape as Mark Evanier will still be part of it ITTL. As I mentioned a while back, I met Mark at a few comic conventions IOTL and he was a great guy to talk to. His reverence for Jack Kirby is also evident in a book he wrote called Kirby: King of Comics.

2) And you'll be delighted to know that Wolfgang Reitherman will be around for a while longer.

3) I'm sure there are plenty that can separate Mr. Lorenzo from the other Rockies. Put it this way, there are many OJ's, but only one Simpson. Likewise, there are many Johns but only one Kricfalusi and so on.

4) Yes, those will be there too. Other teams around North America will follow suit if the arcade at McNichols Arena proves to be a good revenue stream for both the Rockies and Nuggets.

"Obviously, everybody knew the name Namco from playing Pac-Man. In the 80's, almost every kid we went to school with suddenly wanted to work for Namco. I mean, their presence in Colorado and the impact they had in the community was THAT huge when we were kids."
- Matt Stone and Trey Parker; 1999 Interview

5) Don't forget about 20th Century-Fox's Games of the Century for Atari consoles.
I'm still happy to know that. I just mentioned the show in that context because shows like it threw Muppet Babies on the backburner for a while.

After seeing the 1984 rendition of The Jungle Book, I am delighted to know that!

A fair assessment, to say the least.

Just checking. Speaking of which, maybe once the NES becomes available in the States, we could see a Namco Hockey title that crosses their iconic arcade stars together, like how you can fight against the Wii Fit Trainer as Pichu in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

Since Matt and Trey are in the books, would TTL's South Park have a joke that portrays Pac-Man as a pot user, given the association he has with both excessive eating and the state of Colorado?

I actually did forget about those games! And since both companies are Disney subsidiaries, I'm not surprised at all that the brand still got made.

PNWKing

Banned
I'm sure that Midway is looking into following Namco's lead with a purchase of the Cubs or Blackhawks, or possibly even the White Sox.