As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

At the moment, the filmmakers working on Thor are trying to create Asgard with miniatures and matte paintings, so I'm not sure which other Marvel IP's could've still been made in the days before CGI.
Now that you mention it, I'm not so sure either.
If Columbia pictures can convincingly make Superman fly in 1978 then Disney could probably make Iron Man fly around convincingly in 1984.
Since it's the 80s you could make a cold war plot with Crimson Dynamo and Black Widow.
The plot could be similar to the OTL movie of Tony Stark getting captured and building the Mark I to escape. (Except this time he's captured by the Soviets and taken to North Korea.) Tony Stark makes improvements to the suit and making banter with JARVIS, Pepper Potts, and a blonde woman named Natalie Rushman (Who's actually Soviet spy Black Widow, who's been giving the Soviets Starks tech and aided in Stark's capture). Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. tells stark there's a Soviet spy in his close circle making Stark think twice about his trust of Pepper Potts and Natalie Rushman. It ends with a climatic fight with Tony Stark fighting the Crimson Dynamo and Nick Fury fighting Black Widow. Tony Stark defeats Crimson Dynamo and destroys the Soviet base recreating Stark's tech, but Black Widow escapes capture.

Now, if we can get Iron Man and possibly the Hulk and Black Widow made with miniatures and matte paintings...

Would Lou Ferrigno still be able to play the Hulk?
Would there be any technical innovations that could be introduced by an 80's Marvel film?

PNWKing

Banned
Would there be any technical innovations that could be introduced by an 80's Marvel film?
If Walt, Jr. could get his relationship with Steven Spielberg involved, so Spielberg can lend Amblin's Graphics Group to the movies. But now, I'm thinking in terms of things like remote-control systems to allow the effects to work.

If Columbia pictures can convincingly make Superman fly in 1978 then Disney could probably make Iron Man fly around convincingly in 1984.
Since it's the 80s you could make a cold war plot with Crimson Dynamo and Black Widow.
The plot could be similar to the OTL movie of Tony Stark getting captured and building the Mark I to escape. (Except this time he's captured by the Soviets and taken to North Korea.) Tony Stark makes improvements to the suit and making banter with JARVIS, Pepper Potts, and a blonde woman named Natalie Rushman (Who's actually Soviet spy Black Widow, who's been giving the Soviets Starks tech and aided in Stark's capture). Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D. tells stark there's a Soviet spy in his close circle making Stark think twice about his trust of Pepper Potts and Natalie Rushman. It ends with a climatic fight with Tony Stark fighting the Crimson Dynamo and Nick Fury fighting Black Widow. Tony Stark defeats Crimson Dynamo and destroys the Soviet base recreating Stark's tech, but Black Widow escapes capture.
Oooh! I like that.
And having it be in North Korea also gives an opening to tease the Mandarin...

Would Lou Ferrigno still be able to play the Hulk?
If he's too old then there's another huge muscle guy that just finished playing Conan......

PNWKing

Banned
Is Richard Rich going to leave Disney? I feel like Paramount would be great hiring him to make an animation studio. I want to see an adaptation of The Ugly Duckling.

Is Richard Rich going to leave Disney? I feel like Paramount would be great hiring him to make an animation studio. I want to see an adaptation of The Ugly Duckling.
Well, if he's still going to make an animated movie about swans, being with a company that sorely needs some new blood in the ink and paint department could help them both out.

Well, if he's still going to make an animated movie about swans, being with a company that sorely needs some new blood in the ink and paint department could help them both out.

Yes, Richard Rich is leaving Disney.

I dunno who's taking over at Paramount, but new management will more than make up for Mancuso's Mistake.

PNWKing

Banned
Is the Corman Film School still going to be a thing ITTL? Because I know who would be a perfect alumnus
Tommy Wiseau

The Mighty Thor (1984 Film)
The Mighty Thor
the_mighty_thor_142542.jpg

Released on July 6, 1984

Directed by
Richard Marquand

Produced by
Stan Lee
Ron Miller

Screenplay by
Alvin Sargent

Based on the characters created by
Jack Kirby
Larry Lieber
Stan Lee

Music by
Jerry Goldsmith

Production Companies
20th Century-Fox
Marvel Films

Distributor
Buena Vista Distribution Co., Inc.

Special Effects produced by
Industrial Light & Magic

CAST
Miles O'Keeffe as Thor/Donald Blake
Alan Rickman as Loki
Michael Gambon as Odin
Carolina Blakiston as Frigga
Olivia Newton John as Jane Foster
David Prowse as Heimdall
Jean Claude Van Damme as Volstagg
Mark Rolston as Fandral
Charles Bronson as Hogun
Sybil Danning as Sif
Jack Palance as King Laufey

Based on the mythology of the ancient Vikings, The Mighty Thor leaped out of the imaginations of Jack Kirby, Stan Lee and Larry Lieber all the way back in 1962. Fast forward 22 years later, the God of Thunder was set for his theatrical debut in a summer blockbuster from Fox. The film chronicles Thor's feud with Loki as is spills from the realm of Asgard to Midgard, better known as planet Earth. Thor, the heir to the crown worn by his father Odin, is banished from Asgard when he uses excessive brute force to punish the Frost Giants for violating a millenia-old treaty, and sent to live among the mortals of Midgard, where he slowly adopts the alias Donald Blake. Back in Asgard, Thor's banishment cracks the door wide open for Loki's plan to unilaterally take over Asgard and unleash mischief on all of the Nine Worlds. When Loki and his henchmen arrive on Earth, it is up to Thor to engage his brother in battle and reclaim his rightful throne.​

@PNWKing
What was the critical reaction to Ghostbusters?
The reaction from critics was generally positive. The one thing that really stood out was Bill Murray's deadpan delivery. However, Gene Siskel felt that the Zeddemore character suffered from a lack of character development.

Has Dr. Who been screened in the US ITTL?
Most PBS affiliates began broadcasting Dr. Who around 1980.

What was the critical reaction to the Donald Duck special?
Mostly positive.

Is anyone interested in an adaptation of Ludwig Bemelmans' Madeline?
One studio that has shown interest in the property has been DiC.

Is anyone interested in an adaptation of Ludwig Bemelmans' Madeline?
One studio that has shown interest in the property has been DiC.
As someone who watched DiC's Madeline cartoon on Playhouse Disney and loved it as much as I did The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh growing up, I hope that the cartoon still gets made by them.

Entertainment News for Mid-July 1984
L. Ron Hubbard makes a surprising appearance at the Republican National Convention in Dallas.
- The Washington Post

Fox begins production on Iron Man. Based on the Marvel comic, the movie is slated for a summer release in 1985.
- The Hollywood Reporter

After the ouster of Frank Mancuso, Sr., the search for a replacement continues at Paramount. Norman Lear, Alan Ladd, Jr., Sherry Lansing, Francis Ford Coppola, Lawrence Gordon, Peter Guber and Kathleen Kennedy are among the outsiders being considered by the studio. Current Paramount board members Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer plan to leave the studio to become independent producers if they are not picked.
- Variety.

Citing creative differences and belligerence with management, Disney fires animator Rick Rich.
- The Associated Press

Berkshire-Hathaway, parent company of Orion, gives executives Lou Scheimer and Norm Prescott an ultimatum to improve the studio's sagging Saturday morning ratings.
- The Omaha World-Herald

Fox begins production on Iron Man. Based on the Marvel comic, the movie is slated for a summer release in 1985.
- The Hollywood Reporter

After the ouster of Frank Mancuso, Sr., the search for a replacement continues at Paramount. Norman Lear, Alan Ladd, Jr., Sherry Lansing, Francis Ford Coppola, Lawrence Gordon, Peter Guber and Kathleen Kennedy are among the outsiders being considered by the studio. Current Paramount board members Don Simpson and Jerry Bruckheimer plan to leave the studio to become independent producers if they are not picked.
- Variety.

Berkshire-Hathaway, parent company of Orion, gives executives Lou Scheimer and Norm Prescott an ultimatum to improve the studio's sagging Saturday morning ratings.
- The Omaha World-Herald
Might I suggest casting Michael Keaton as Tony Stark?

I think there are pros and cons to either outcome as far as Jerry Bruckheimer is concerned. As for my choice, I'd vote on Norman Lear, as he has the clout on the small screen to amp it up to the big screen.

I have a few ideas for original creations that could fit the mold of the times for Saturday morning. Mind if I PM you some?

Might I suggest casting Michael Keaton as Tony Stark?

I think there are pros and cons to either outcome as far as Jerry Bruckheimer is concerned. As for my choice, I'd vote on Norman Lear, as he has the clout on the small screen to amp it up to the big screen.

I have a few ideas for original creations that could fit the mold of the times for Saturday morning. Mind if I PM you some?

What are these pros and cons on Bruckheimer?

Yes, please PM me.

What are these pros and cons on Bruckheimer?

Yes, please PM me.
Well, if Bruckheimer is still part of Paramount, we might still get 80's mainstays like Top Gun and Beverly Hills Cop. However, if he and Don Simpson were to split away from the mountains, we'd get their iconic "tree forms by getting zapped by lightning" logo from the 2000's.

Okay. One message coming right up!