Map Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.
KjUfxca.png

An unfinished map from a concept for a book I was writing. The book itself was more of a romance between a British Indian Army Officer and an American woman, but to properly flesh out the world these characters existed in, I wrote an extensive lore to back it up. This is supposed to be the world circa 1890.

The background of it all, the POD if you will, is the total expulsion of the French from North America. This leads to butterflies that causes a more radical Sons of Liberty, culminating in a 1775 raid on the Boston Harbor where they capture a Royal Navy sloop and bombard the harbor merchantmen and shell the local army garrison. With the revolutionaries more radical, the American Insurrection (as it's known in this TL) does not garner much support from even the more "radical" independent-minded Americans. The British are quick to stomp out the Insurrection and it fades out into the background. Some of the issues are resolved with the Dominion Act of 1789, creating the Dominion of North America - the first of its kind - out of the North American colonies under British possession. Basically how Dominions were IRL. This paves the way, later on, for future dominions in India (following the Indian Insurrection), Australasia, and elsewhere.

In Europe, the Bourbons never fell and thus France remains a kingdom. In 1848, the Holy Roman Empire collapsed under the weight of a popular uprising in the Hapsburg Hungarian and Slavic lands, as well as German uprisings throughout the area. Hungary declares independence during this period as well, crowing one of their own as the King and deposing the Hapsburg. The Austrians, forced from pretty much everywhere except Austria itself and its possession of Bohemia-Moravia, enter into talks at Frankfurt which end up forming the German Confederation, which is a little more powerful than in IRL. As of 1890, the states have collected (as depicted on the map) between the Austrian-led south in yellow, and the Prussian-led north in grey. The weird looking tumor thing in pale is Bohemia-Moravia, part of Austria through a personal crown possession of the Austrian monarch but not technically part of the German Confederation. Currently it looks like there will be a war between the German states, which I was going to call the 'Bundeskrieg,' or the Confederation War, which would eventually cause the Great Powers of Europe to fall in line on one side or the other, causing basically the World War.

The Ottoman Empire disintegrated in what is known in this world as the Eastern Crisis in the late 1840s, around the same time as the 1848 Spring of Nations, mirroring the real life reasons for the Crimean War. In this world, the Russians were helped by the French and British instead of being attacked by them. During the Eastern Crisis, the Balkan erupted into national revolutions as the European great powers bore down on the Ottomans, with the Greek revolutionaries marching all the way to Constantinople where they crowned Ypsilantis as Emperor of the Romans. Bulgaria, Romania, and the Serbians rose up as well and tore away what they could in the fray and anarchy. In the end result, the British, French, and Russians divided the Levant into their own zones, becoming colonies in the latter half of the century.

Scandinavia was united relatively recently in this world, like the 1870s, through British diplomatic machinations to thwart French plans to unite Italy under the Bourbons ruling the Two Sicilies. Italy still remains disunited as ever, but it looks as though things might very well come to blows sooner or later.

Some things to note would be the significance presence of a Zulu Empire in South Africa, contending with a Dutch colony in Zuid-Afrika. Mexico declared independence as it did, ruling as the Mexican Empire. Texas seceded in an independence war as it did IRL, British settlers rising up against the Mexicans but preserving their sternly-fought independence. Through this same war, the Yucatan peninsula rose up and fought against the Mexicans, falling under British protection.

The fact that your map does not show Portugal dominating over Brazil, Angola (and the lands between Angola and Mozambique) is very disturbing to me.

A map for a future Youjo Senki/CnC timeline i'm planning: It follows Tanya following a successful stopping of the Francois at Brest, leading her to - even more - fame and glory and her dealing with the alterations in the timeline caused by the time traveling Schugel erasing French Hitler from the timestream. So without further ado, here's the first of what will hopefully be a number of maps showing my plans for this TL.

Germania Detail.png

A map for a future Youjo Senki/CnC timeline i'm planning: It follows Tanya following a successful stopping of the Francois at Brest, leading her to - even more - fame and glory and her dealing with the alterations in the timeline caused by the time traveling Schugel erasing French Hitler from the timestream. So without further ado, here's the first of what will hopefully be a number of maps showing my plans for this TL.

View attachment 582825

Wait...does that mean that Tanya and Visha have gotten together?

Also, I really should read more of the LN. I'm still on volume 5.

In the LN? Not to my knowledge. In the TL/Fan Fic I'm planning? Yes, around the late 30's, early 40's.

That's what I meant.

I am aware that there is some...suggestions...of Visha having feelings towards Tanya in the manga. Otherwise, she is basically the most adorable bringer of death from above.

That's what I meant.

I am aware that there is some...suggestions...of Visha having feelings towards Tanya in the manga. Otherwise, she is basically the most adorable bringer of death from above.

Well as I said, they only get together in the late 30's to early 40's, well after they've both left the military and Tanya is in the middle of her first tenure as Chancellor. Although they don't make it public until after TTL's WW1 '46-'53. This is also made possible due to the repealing of Paragraph 175 in' 29.

View attachment 582825
Will be looking forward to this! Is it getting its own thread anytime soon so I can put it on watch?

Deleted member 108228

a_greener_ummah_by_ernacius_de4v48f-fullview.png

“We will not stop until the Ummah is reunified and purified, even if it means the death of every single kafir. They know what they have done to Allah’s creation, and should know what they have awoken within the Ummah.”

The Climate Crisis was the defining conflict of the twenty-first century, born out of the sown seed of climate change. The oceans swallowed the coasts, necessitating the evacuation of many coastal cities. The brief seasonal respites of spring and autumn faded further and further into the collective memory as the twin giants of scorching summer and biting winter grew ever harsher. The ocean swallowed entire coasts, and hurricanes harried what remained. The entire world was going through a crucible, and nowhere was this more evident than the most bedeviled continent, Africa.

As the climate crisis worsened, northern Africa, like much of the world, descended into chaos. The Sahara Desert swallowed the last remnants of the Great Green Wall, the old African Union’s attempt to halt the specter of desertification. The governments that had survived up until this point collapsed and the peoples they governed were forced to flee elsewhere. They mostly fled in two directions- one, they went with the Arabs to migrate to a divided Europe. The other migrant mass trekked into the Sahel, a decaying environment already teeming with suspicious and xenophobic citizens and unstable cities reaching critical mass. This would be the fertile breeding ground for the rise of al-Munazama.

Lagos in 2076 resembled a late-twentieth century cyberpunk speculative science fiction novel. The city’s authorities had long lost all real control on the streets, ceding it to gangs which ruled their parts of the city like medieval fiefdoms and profited off the apathetic population’s drug abuse. Life was hell for rich and poor alike, with no hope for any future. It was in these filthy conditions that a local mullah known to history as “Yakubu” formulated a response to the misery around him. He declared that the West- namely, its culture and technological strain, were responsible for the world’s dilapidated state. Though “Yakubu” was eventually killed during the Lagos gang wars, his writings would survive and spread throughout West Africa, with dangerous results for the region.

Eventually, armed groups influenced by Yakubu’s writings seized weapons from the armories of collapsing Sahel governments and began their march. They conquered Bamako, N’Djamena, and the northern reaches of Nigeria, before convening in Kundana and holding a Shura Council to unite the many rebel groups they had led there. After weeks of debate, they formed what would become infamous throughout Africa- al-Munazama.

―――

Officially the Organization for Truthfulness to the Prophet’s Recitations of the Word of Allah and the Continuation of Jihad, al-Munazama is one of the many children of the global climate crisis that has taken and continues to take countless lives across the world. The group’s reach extends from Bamako, former capital of the Republic of Mali, to the outskirts of Khartoum, further threatening what stability remains in an increasingly chaotic Africa. They are especially known for their intolerant view on non-Muslims, having committed genocide against animists in South Sudan and the Central African Republic.

―――

“The kafir, the murtad, the polytheist; they all belong to the same house- Dar al-Harb, the house of war. Unlike Dar al-Islam, it is the house that shelters the enemies of Allah and his Prophet, peace be upon him, and challenges the divinity of Allah and his righteous followers. They turn away from his sacred words, choosing to instead believe in these pissant figmenations of the human mind. These ‘gods’ are nothing to Allah, and it is with his guidance that these polytheists will be destroyed. It’s not a matter of if they will be destroyed, but when. Allah’s will shall be enacted, no matter the cost. After all, they know what they signed up for by believing in false gods.”

“But when the forbidden months are past, then fight and slay the Pagans wherever ye find them, and seize them, beleaguer them, and lie in wait for them in every stratagem; but if they repent, and establish regular prayers and practice regular charity, then open the way for them: for Allah is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. [Quran 9:5]"

―――

Their advance, however, has not gone entirely uncontested. The government of Burkina Faso is still active and has been supplying local guerillas with a steady stream of weapons (if outdated) to stem al-Munazama’s tide. Centralafrican forces continue to threaten the Trans-African Highway, a critical supply line for the Siege of Khartoum. Even with the collapse of government authority in Nigeria, the Organization remains unable to take Lagos, despite daily attacks from within by sympathisers and sleeper cells.

Despite these developments, al-Munazama retains a steady territorial base and a continuous stream of new fighters. Despite the massacres in Juba, new fighters from among disgruntled Sahel refugees swell its ranks every day. It seems that the group’s ideological consistency prevented the factional violence seen in other fundamentalist groups such as the former Boko Haram.

What is unique about the Organization is that unlike many other fundamentalist groups, they wholeheartedly embrace technology to further the goal of fixing the Sahel. In their eyes, it is a way to rectify the crimes of ‘the crusaders and their puppet regimes,’ who caused the greatest crisis in human history. Technology, according to several smuggled documents, will ‘return humanity to the times of the prophet, as fixing the environment, upgrading humanity to survive, and resisting the crusaders, will allow mankind to abandon the crowded, decadent megacities of the present.

―――

“The world is asunder by the disastrous mandates the crusaders and their puppets have enforced on the oppressed peoples of the Ummah. While we cannot change the past, what we can do is advance Allah and the prophet’s dictats, for they guided many to victory against the crusaders. To do this, we must advance humanity to where it can survive a world that seeks to annihilate us. While this isn’t allowed in normal circumstances, the conditions that have been given to us demand desperate measures to be taken."

"Ye have indeed in the Messenger of Allah a beautiful pattern for any one whose hope is in Allah and the Final Day, and who engages much in the Praise of Allah [Quran 33:21]"

―――

The Organization has also inspired and allied itself with similar organizations throughout the continent. In the DRC, the “Forces for Earth’s Conservation and Salvation” have conquered much of the country and are marching on Kinshasa, backed by al-Munazama in an attempt to bring down United Nations presence in the region. In Liberia and Guinea-Conakry, the National Alliance for Ecology is considered a potential interest, but al-Munazama officials view it with scrutiny owing to the former’s Christian syncretism. In Gabon, the Dignified Democratic Party has gone out of its way to massacre members of United Nations-Gabon Shield.

―――

al-Munzama’s political survival is yet to be seen in the face of a growing counter-Islamist coalition seeking to restoring Western Africa’s legitimate government. Their innovations, however, are likely to survive and be globally disseminated in the following decades. Despite the harshness of their political regime, numerous bio-genetic innovations have originated from their territory, including the various modes used by the so-called “New Humans''- regeneration, night-vision, increased moisture collection, etc. In their war against the West, al-Munazama may have crossed the Rubicon in bioengineering, and the advances they have pioneered will change society in unforeseen ways.​

View attachment 582825

Obviously Berun is Berlin but what is the OTL analogue to Luitbaldstadt?

Makes sense. I'm surprised it ended up the largest city in the Reich though as opposed to the Rhein-Ruhr or Batavia/Jakarta.

After the fall of Germania '48-'49 to the Russy's many civilians fled to the Colonies to escape the communists - the ones that could escape intime that is. This trend continued after the war for a while.

Plus with Germania having a Meritocratic Government by default, there were less - let's just say issues with the natives, compared to OTL. Not to say that there wasn't racism at all, but Germania was more accepting than other World Powers at the time of the Scramble for Africa.

As for Jakarta aka Batvia and Rhein-Ruhr, well I mentioned that Luitbaldstadt was thr largest city in the entire union, not referring to the other member states.

Batvia is in second place, just behind Luitbaldstadt and is expected to overtake it by the turn of the millennium.

Last edited:
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 9.08.52 PM.png

The Global Coalition for Peace®

Presents

the
Settlement in Japan

The nations of Great Britain, Germany, and Russia are proud to jointly present this Settlement in Japan, a blueprint for establishing a lasting peace in the Home Islands of Japan. In accordance to the Lhasa Protocol, signed December 1991, the Coalition Powers have distributed the territory of the Home Islands into Zones of Administration, with the goal of promoting the rule of law, providing assistance to the local population, and accelerating the processes of rebuilding. Each of the Main Coalition Powers will be assigned responsibility into one Zone of Administration, the composition of which is as follows: a British Zone (Fukuoka), a German Zone (Osaka), and a Russian Zone (Sendai). The remaining territory, including the metropolitan area of Tokyo, is to be organized into an International Neutral Zone (INZO), governance of which is responsibility of the international community in conjunction with the local population. Several mechanisms and institutions have been planned to ensure a harmonious and effective administration for INZO (see INZO Section, Chapter 27). The map above provides a graphic guide into the exact shape of each Zone of Administration, as well as INZO. For further information, please consult the Index section.

Pursuant to the Lhasa Protocol, the following measures to ensure the existence of peace and friendly cooperation have been implemented:
1.- No nuclear weapons or any other kind of weapon of mass destruction are allowed within the Zones of Administration or INZO. This includes testing and experimentation of any kind.
2.- None of the Coalition Powers will try to exert their influence or violate the neutrality of INZO in any way. Action of this type must be interpreted as an act of war by the other Coalition Powers.
3.- The rights and dignity of the local population shall not be infringed, and the Main Coalition Powers must actively strive to promote the political and economic participation of the local population within their respective Zones of Administration.
4.- The presence of military forces within the Zones of Administration shall be limited to the bare minimum necessary to enforce the rule of law and to protect the local population. No military forces whatsoever can be within INZO.
5.- Any disputes between the Main Coalition Powers regarding their Zones of Administration shall be resolved peacefully, either directly between one another or through mediation provided by the International Neutral Court of Peace (INCOP), based in Tokyo.

It is the most primordial desire of these Main Coalition Powers that this Settlement will provide the framework for the establishment of a democratic, prosperous, and cooperative Japanese nation that will respect the rights and dignity of its inhabitants and actively collaborate in the creation of a peaceful tomorrow.

Last edited:

Faeelin

Banned
An unfinished map from a concept for a book I was writing. The book itself was more of a romance between a British Indian Army Officer and an American woman, but to properly flesh out the world these characters existed in, I wrote an extensive lore to back it up. This is supposed to be the world circa 1890.

Personally, I find British North Americas which somehow do not seize San Francisco Bay and California's gold weird.

The fact that your map does not show Portugal dominating over Brazil, Angola (and the lands between Angola and Mozambique) is very disturbing to me.
I wasn't able to finish it, but Portugal exists in a union with Brazil and does indeed own Angola.
Personally, I find British North Americas which somehow do not seize San Francisco Bay and California's gold weird.
More pressing matters elsewhere in the Empire at the time. In 1849 during the height of the Gold Rush they were fighting in the Eastern Crisis.

Faeelin

Banned
I mean you're free to handwave this however you want, it's just something I find plausible given America's actual expansion west and Britain's foreign policy.

@USJ - what are the Empire's allies ITTL?

What happened with Dacia, aka totally-not-Romania?

I'm assuming you're using the manga/novel's map (with the overly-modern borders) as a base, rather than the anime's map (in which the Empire controls more of the western Balkans)?

Status
Not open for further replies.