4ea779391e84d6e60f7a8e3cde4386316a4c5c6dr1-1280-800v2_uhq.jpg

The coat of arms of the Latin Empire.​
Technically that's a banner of arms. And it was only used after the loss of Constantinople to the Nicaeans. That is under Phillip of Courtenay and his successor Emperors-in-exile.
(See here for why:
)

But a good post nonetheless!

Technically that's a banner of arms. And it was only used after the loss of Constantinople to the Nicaeans. That is under Phillip of Courtenay and his successor Emperors-in-exile.
(See here for why:
Byzantium Arms )
I wasn't aware of this, but thanks for pointing this out. Though I think the Latin banner of arms was also influenced by the banner that Baldwin's brother, Henry of Flanders used.

But a good post nonetheless!
Thanks for the compliment! I'm glad you're enjoying it so far. Do you have any thoughts in regards to this timeline so far? Any suggestions/ideas on what direction(s) it could take?

I found those maps very detailed. Though I wasn't aware who created them. Thanks for letting me know. I'll be sure to check out his work. Do you know if he has maps and other resources pertaining to the 19th century, as I was also doing more research for my Napoleon II Timeline.
Unfortunately he has no maps on the nineteenth century, really any time after the middle ages. However he does have lists of monarchs and a few genealogies (e.g. Austria, Russia) for the time period if you want to see. His maps of the ancient and medieval period are excellent, though, the most detailed collection I've ever come across. For example, he has a series of maps of the Latin Empire you can use for this Komnenos TL. Want to know what the Latin Empire looked like in 1212? How about 1228? He has a map for that!
Here is a link to his website: Link
I was very much intending for Alexios VI to try and fill that role as a Byzantine Diocletian/Aurelian restoring the Komnenoi to the throne and ending the anarchy. In the beginning I had him compared to his grandfather Andronikos, as Alexios will have some parallels in his policy as he's forced to be shrewd and ruthless to restore his realm and rebuild it from the ground up. I think in the next chapter I might cover Bulgaria and maybe the Alexios' consolidation of the Empire in Trebizond. Though I'm not sure which one to do first.
Very interesting. I imagine bureaucratic and organizational reforms to be pursued which is what Diocletian did to restore order.

Bulgaria seems like a good idea to do first, in my opinion. You just wrote one on the Latins so it makes sense to discuss the Bulgarians before returning to Trebizond. Looking forward to it regardless!

I wasn't aware of this, but thanks for pointing this out. Though I think the Latin banner of arms was also influenced by the banner that Baldwin's brother, Henry of Flanders used.
No worries. Took me by surprise when I first found out. Easy to see how the various banners and arms influenced each other though. Especially if you lay a gold cross over the arms of Henry!
Do you have any thoughts in regards to this timeline so far? Any suggestions/ideas on what direction(s) it could take?
Personally I'd like to see
1) how this empire resists dominance by the Turks
2) the impact on the periphery: Bulgaria, Epirus, Naples, the Crusader States, and remnants of the Latin Empire

Very interesting. I imagine bureaucratic and organizational reforms to be pursued which is what Diocletian did to restore order.
Yeah. While the Komnenoi historically were more aristocratic in outlook, in terms of Alexios' characterization, he's more contemptful of them as he views them as responsible for the Empire's collapse and the exile of him and his brother. He's something akin to a Stannis Baratheon of Rhomania in terms of his outlook and approach to governance. In this regard,I think many of the Byzantine Aristocrats might fear him like they did Andronikos.

Bulgaria seems like a good idea to do first, in my opinion. You just wrote one on the Latins so it makes sense to discuss the Bulgarians before returning to Trebizond. Looking forward to it regardless!
Yeah I was thinking of that as well. I intend to flesh out Kaloyan, as a major political figure here. When studying this period of Eastern Roman history, Kaloyan always fascinated me, as he was one of the most formidable Bulgarians Tsars since Khan Krum who only failed at taking Constantinople because the Walls of Constantinople were too formidable.

No worries. Took me by surprise when I first found out. Easy to see how the various banners and arms influenced each other though. Especially if you lay a gold cross over the arms of Henry!
Yup! Though the fate of the Latin Empire fascinates me. I personally think that it might have been more successful and longer lasting as a polity had Boniface of Montferrat been made Emperor. He likely would have presented himself as more "Byzantine" and had more legitimacy behind him.

Personally I'd like to see
1) how this empire resists dominance by the Turks
2) the impact on the periphery: Bulgaria, Epirus, Naples, the Crusader States, and remnants of the Latin Empire
The situation with the Turks will massively diverge by virtue of the Komnenians maintaining a stranglehold of the Black Sea trade with Sinope. I also have some major divergences planned for them as well.
The Mongols are coming!

They're will be some major divergences involving the Crusades since I have some interesting divergences planned for the Capetians, Hohenstaufens, and Plantagenets. There's gonna be some Plantagenet Blues if you catch my drift.

question as I am just an bit confused about something but will the empire be restored to its OLT borders
OTL borders?
Obviously you mean this right?
9Oyke-CGRTJxB_w11WoYtMJK3NiOzRJSTvBdSVqm8-w.png

But all joking aside, Alexios hopes he can restore all the Empire's de-jure territory prior to the Komnenoi's deposition. Though this doesn't mean he had his successors won't try to gain more territory if given the chance.

one last question will he try to set up an proper line of succession to the monarchy to lower the risk of civil war or has he already done that

OTL borders?
Obviously you mean this right?
9Oyke-CGRTJxB_w11WoYtMJK3NiOzRJSTvBdSVqm8-w.png

But all joking aside, Alexios hopes he can restore all the Empire's de-jure territory prior to the Komnenoi's deposition. Though this doesn't mean he had his successors won't try to gain more territory if given the chance.
not even justinian could in the otl but got some where there , neither did the constans II and constantine IV did in my timeline , but alexios could do it here its destenity

not even justinian could in the otl but got some where there , neither did the constans II and constantine IV did in my timeline , but alexios could do it here its destenity
Justinian likely could have taken all of Spain, more of Italy, and Southern Gaul had he not bungled up the Gothic War, and not needlessly provoked the Persians. This would also be dependent on there being no plague for the best result.

Though the situation of the 13th Century is quite different from the circumstances of the Late Antiquity/Early Medieval Era. I don't think the Romans could really expand that far as the West was now recovering and reaching parity with the East after the year 1,000. And the High Medieval Age was another period of Consolidation and renewal for these states. One such state was the Kingdom of Sicily under Frederick II which became a highly centralized and proto-Absolutist state.

one last question will he try to set up an proper line of succession to the monarchy to lower the risk of civil war or has he already done that
He'll try but nothing is really guaranteed at the moment. But as of now, Alexios has no sons, and its basically understood that this brother David will be the new Emperor should he die prematurely.

Justinian likely could have taken all of Spain, more of Italy, and Southern Gaul had he not bungled up the Gothic War, and not needlessly provoked the Persians. This would also be dependent on there being no plague for the best result.

Though the situation of the 13th Century is quite different from the circumstances of the Late Antiquity/Early Medieval Era. I don't think the Romans could really expand that far as the West was now recovering and reaching parity with the East after the year 1,000. And the High Medieval Age was another period of Consolidation and renewal for these states. One such state was the Kingdom of Sicily under Frederick II which became a highly centralized and proto-Absolutist state.

He'll try but nothing is really guaranteed at the moment. But as of now, Alexios has no sons, and its basically understood that this brother David will be the new Emperor should he die prematurely.
yeah i was joking but i dont agree fully that justinian would take out the visigoths as they where not so rotten compared to the 7th and early 8th century

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
@Basileus_Komnenos Hi, Great TL.
I would like to know what will happen with the genoese and the Bulgarians:
  • the former in OTL allied with the Nicea empire and while helping them by taking back Constantinople they basically raped the trebizondian empire for the black sea colonies, so i hope you are able to ally them( you need the genoese to beat the venetians) before Nicea does.
  • the latter, will soon clash with the Latins after they refuse the alliance offer from zar Kalojan, you might seek his alliance in order to take back the Greek holdings.... also if you are gonna try to conquer the Bulgarians much later, you have to act rightfully since the last time the conquered Bulgarians were treated as shit by the byzantine emperor, they rebelled.

I know the Copts will much prefer Roman rule over Mamluk one. That is their main trump card if reconquest of Egypt is to succeed as many sympathetic Christian uprisings could aid them. However what happens three, five or more generations after? Will they see themselves as the right believing heirs of Egypt beset by heretical Roman conquerors?

And clearly countries built on non-national foundations can exist and even thrive. But when the going gets tough things usually fracture along national lines and AH was no different.
The problem the Roman empire had was not really nationalism, but that it could be less religiously inclusive and tolerant than the ols Pagan Rome, or at times Persia or the Muslim powerrs, which is why monophysites for eg could prefer Islamic rule. A little more tolerance would go a long way

I am hoping the Romans fund Columbus and claim the Americas....... The Roman proince of Mexico has a nice ring to it....

yeah i was joking but i dont agree fully that justinian would take out the visigoths as they where not so rotten compared to the 7th and early 8th century
@Goldensilver81
I'm kinda split on this to be honest. Depending on how well the Visigoths unify around the King, as they had an elective monarchy, they could elect a militarily competent monarch like how the Ostrogoths did. The campaign in Hispania could turn into otl's Gothic War. But even so, there would likely be factions within Hispania that would likely throw open their gates to Justinian and Belisarius. Theoderic the Great near the end of his reign planned a massive crackdown on the Roman aristocracy and the Papacy because he was paranoid that they were conspiring with Emperor Justin I to reinstate Roman rule. Thankfully he died as soon as he did, because that would have likely sparked a catastrophic war between both the Ostrogoths and Romans which I doubt the Ostrogoths would have survived as such a move likely would have sparked widespread Roman revolts. Though Theoderic was ulimately right to be suspicious about this as there's evidence of correspondence between Justin I and various Roman Senators putting out feelers to see what the mood of Constantinople was about a possible Roman intervention in Italy.

@Basileus_Komnenos Hi, Great TL.
I would like to know what will happen with the genoese and the Bulgarians:
@pls don't ban me
Thanks! I love that username btw!

I plan on various divergences for the history of the Genoese. Without spoiling very much, think of the Komnenoi paralleling the Black Sea Empire of Mithridates "the Poison King" who dominated the Eastern trade during his reign. Honestly this is what the Komnenoi did to great effect in otl becoming a major trading power in the Black Sea. They were able to convince the Mongols to route all trade through them turning the 13th and 14th Century into a prosperous period while the rest of the Roman world burned. Though had Trebizond had been under competent leadership in otl its likely it could have kept Sinope and used its vast economic wealth to bankroll a large navy and army to begin steamrolling the Turks. This was happened in otl with the Palaiologoi at various points like when Alexios Philanthropenos began his campaign in the East. Andronikos III was also able to retake territory despite the general ineptitude of the government in Constantinople and the near perpetual fiscal crisis during the rule of the Palaiologoi. @Eparkhos has a timeline showing the realistic expansion the Romans could do if they were under competent leadership. The Empire of Trebizond has massive wealth, and if it had more militarily inclined leaders it likely could have had a way better time in Anatolia than in otl.

and the Bulgarians:
Two words:
KALOYAN STRONK! Lmao x'D

the former in OTL allied with the Nicea empire and while helping them by taking back Constantinople they basically raped the trebizondian empire for the black sea colonies, so i hope you are able to ally them( you need the genoese to beat the venetians) before Nicea does.
Well Trebizond was about to win in otl. They had everything going for it in otl. The Niceans were almost killed in their crib with Theodoros nearly being killed by Kakushraw I. Alexios in otl was dealing with a Turkish invasion when David went off on his own to try and march against the Latins where he was ambushed. Alexios in otl was captured by the Sultan's men while on a hunting trip and was basically horrifically tortured until the city of Sinope was surrendered to the Turks.

the latter, will soon clash with the Latins after they refuse the alliance offer from zar Kalojan, you might seek his alliance in order to take back the Greek holdings.... also if you are gonna try to conquer the Bulgarians much later, you have to act rightfully since the last time the conquered Bulgarians were treated as shit by the byzantine emperor, they rebelled.
True. I plan on having things diverge in a major way from otl in the mid 1200's anyway by the times the Mongols arrive so this issue will be solved by then.

And I am interested in how the Mongol Invasion of the Sultanate of Rum will affect TTL's Rhomania.
Seljuks: Mr. Rhomania I don't feel so good
Rhomania: Its free real estate

The problem the Roman empire had was not really nationalism, but that it could be less religiously inclusive and tolerant than the ols Pagan Rome, or at times Persia or the Muslim powerrs, which is why monophysites for eg could prefer Islamic rule. A little more tolerance would go a long way
Though I feel like Roman rule would have been more favorable to the Copts than otl's Mamaluks as that was when Arabization was accelerated due to the Mamaluk hostility toward the Copts.

well purple is a nice colour to be burued in apparantly....
@sarahz Agreed.

Its kinda sad that Justinian and Theodora's tombs were likely looted and stripped of all valuables by the Crusade. The Crusaders essentially dumped Basil II's corpse into the street and ransacked his tomb. Though fortunately his epitaph survives so we have some idea of what he looks like and some of the monuments of his era.

I am hoping the Romans fund Columbus and claim the Americas....... The Roman proince of Mexico has a nice ring to it....
Well not even the Ottomans were able to do this in otl. For something like this, the Romans have to expand westwards into to Northwestern Africa which might be hard. Plus if they're in that position, they'd likely prioritize conquering Eastwards to focus on Egypt and the more direct access to the Indian Ocean and overland trade routes in Central Asia/the Middle East.

Last edited:
I think you meant Baldwin.
Thanks for catching that! I just fixed it.

:cryingface: Quite sad indeed. Thinking about the sack depresses me.
Its okay while the Empire is dead, its glory and legacy are eternal. Plus Alexios has plans to deal with those heretical Latins and treacherous dynatoi and usurpers once and for all. I guess you might say Alexios might be equivalent to an Aurelian of the 13th Century.