Map Thread XIX

Status
Not open for further replies.
What happened to "we divorce you"?
Calbear does Coventry, Ian does Divorce, I believe. Anyways, for another place.
The Belgian Confederacy from Divergences of Darkness

I have to wonder what size this Belgium is that English and French is shown at the top of the page but not Flemish. After all, they are the ones who would have all the ships bringing people there. Also a lot of little islands that need to be filled in, like under the oddly OTL border of Vermont. Did you make the timeline or another?
I've been trying over the past couple of days to build up my mapmaking skills. This is what's come out, from my timeline, Moonlight in a Jar. There are more fine details I want to add, but I don't mind dropping this one for now.
Who found the Azores, Canaries, etc here? Iberians get there early on and lose further on or did the Arabs get them when there were still local Canadians and when the Azores were, I think, unpopulated? And are they under the control of Hizamid, Asmarid, or are any of them vassals? Ahhh, and all that water in Tunisia. Is that natural? Or does that show those salt plains?
A map (subject to change) of the setting of my TL, Sages, à la Chełm, at around the present day.
I am guessing the African Empire doesn't outright annex the Sawhrari remnants for political reasons? Such as it being taken as a claim onnthe rest of Spanish Morocco? Or if it just French Empire in Africa? If so, I cannot see them snagging the British Cameroons sort of area. Also, is there a UN in this world as well or some other group forcing the South Africans to give Namibia Walvis Bay and the Penguin Islands? Also have to wonder why Stanistan keeps the Persian Tajikistan but not the Turkic Kryszksktzstan. Ahhh, and Malaysia didn't gig out Singapore here? Suppose if they had it might have ended up annexed by China. Speaking of which, as they have a lot of their other territorial claims, they might have wanted to go for the one on the border with Tajikistan. Might not be worth the effort for them, but an idea that you might- Oh dear. Just saw the Ottomans. No doubt there isn't a story behind that. Odd name for Ethiopia, as I imagine they would keep to their old two thousand year old terms, rather than something from one or two bibilical references. Do you have the Caymans as Jamaican or Cuban here? I can't tell the color difference at the resolution on my iPad. I also think you gave the island that has the majority population for Equatorial Guinea to the African Empire. Seems they would have an easier time either annexing the mainland area instead or just snag both. Though might have been fun for Brazil or Angola to have São Tomé and Principe. Not related to the formerly Spanish areas, just a thought. Do this light purplish islands off Madagascar suggest Indian nfluence over some islands or just a color?

I've been trying over the past couple of days to build up my mapmaking skills. This is what's come out, from my timeline, Moonlight in a Jar. There are more fine details I want to add, but I don't mind dropping this one for now.

With which software did you made this please?

Thanks. Would I be able to alter boarders with these programs?
With Inkscape, you could open most maps on Wikipedia (provided they're in svg format) and alter their borders if you wanted to. However, all programs suggested on this page are digital art programs first and foremost. Depending on what you mean by "altering borders", even MSPaint can suffice.

I am guessing the African Empire doesn't outright annex the Sawhrari remnants for political reasons? Such as it being taken as a claim onnthe rest of Spanish Morocco? Or if it just French Empire in Africa? If so, I cannot see them snagging the British Cameroons sort of area. Also, is there a UN in this world as well or some other group forcing the South Africans to give Namibia Walvis Bay and the Penguin Islands? Also have to wonder why Stanistan keeps the Persian Tajikistan but not the Turkic Kryszksktzstan. Ahhh, and Malaysia didn't gig out Singapore here? Suppose if they had it might have ended up annexed by China. Speaking of which, as they have a lot of their other territorial claims, they might have wanted to go for the one on the border with Tajikistan. Might not be worth the effort for them, but an idea that you might- Oh dear. Just saw the Ottomans. No doubt there isn't a story behind that. Odd name for Ethiopia, as I imagine they would keep to their old two thousand year old terms, rather than something from one or two bibilical references. Do you have the Caymans as Jamaican or Cuban here? I can't tell the color difference at the resolution on my iPad. I also think you gave the island that has the majority population for Equatorial Guinea to the African Empire. Seems they would have an easier time either annexing the mainland area instead or just snag both. Though might have been fun for Brazil or Angola to have São Tomé and Principe. Not related to the formerly Spanish areas, just a thought. Do this light purplish islands off Madagascar suggest Indian nfluence over some islands or just a color?

In regards to the African Empire: It is a big federal state made out of former French colonies, and the only reason I had it have the British Cameroons was because I was working on a WIP basemap. Since that basemap is done, I have fixed it on the master copy. The Sawhari state legally has that thin strip of land and nothing else, mostly just serving to anger everybody involved.

In regards to South Africa: International pressure is a thing that can effect change, yes. I don't actually appear to know anybody with experience with this region, nor do I have any myself.

In regards to Stanistan: IOTL Kyrgyzstan is the only former Soviet Central Asian country with at least a semi-functioning democracy, while all the rest are dictatorships. I simply merged all the dictatorships.

In regards to Malaysia: Yeah, Singapore is still a part of it, as is Brunei (for aesthetic reasons, honestly). @LawfulInsane has plans regarding the synchronization of Malaysian and Singaporean politics.

In regards to China: I'm not sure about how Tajikistan's claims look added to China; it kind of throws me off. It would not, however, break the internal rules I have set for TTL.

In regards to the Ottomans: When their empire collapsed, the western powers propped them up in Hejaz to keep being the caliphs.

In regards to Ethiopia: Rastafarians. That is all.

In regards to various islands: The Caymans are administered by the Holy Actual Caribbean Empire. I misjudged who Bioko belongs to (I thought it was either São Tomé or Principe), and so it has been returned to Equatorial Guinea. The light purplish islands off of Madagascar are just the Comoros.

upload_2019-9-8_11-0-33.png

The changes in the Nigeria area

upload_2019-9-8_11-0-45.png

How giving China its claims in Tajikistan would look

Who found the Azores, Canaries, etc here? Iberians get there early on and lose further on or did the Arabs get them when there were still local Canadians and when the Azores were, I think, unpopulated? And are they under the control of Hizamid, Asmarid, or are any of them vassals? Ahhh, and all that water in Tunisia. Is that natural? Or does that show those salt plains?
In this timeline, Al-Andalus survived. The islands of Macaronesia were discovered and settled by Moorish sailors and merchants, with the Azores coming last of them all. They are administered as a dependency of the Hizamids, who rule "on behalf of the Caliph and the Banu Umayya" (read: they're the real power, the Caliph being a puppet).

The water in Tunisia represents the salt bodies and chotts.

With which software did you made this please?
It was done in Photoshop.

In regards to Stanistan: IOTL Kyrgyzstan is the only former Soviet Central Asian country with at least a semi-functioning democracy, while all the rest are dictatorships. I simply merged all the dictatorships.

View attachment 486361
How giving China its claims in Tajikistan would look

I still can't help it, I automatically read that as Satanistan, and chuckle happily :evilsmile:

(2020) the Great African War.png

(2030) Post War Era.png

2020 and 2030 in my will-be-written-sometime(-probably) Timeline of "Prussian Napoleon" (at least thats what I call it). Showing the Great African War (consisting of Guinean Civil War, East Congolese Civil War (ending with the independence of Central African Republic), 3rd Nile War (main part of the war)), the Great Arab War (Unification of Yemen, Independence of Iraq and creation of the Arab Islamic Republic resulting from it) and the Rise and Fall of Indonesia. These are the 20th and the 21st maps. I think I will begin to actually write about this world or create some non-map auxiliary content (of course currently the only content is maps) some time later. Have to start University two weeks later so will probably not be able to do much on it.

Last edited:
syrialebanon.png

2021: President Bashar Al Assad's forces now control the majority of Syria, Rojava being granted autonomy for their covert cooperation with the SAA during the civil war. However, their border territories with Turkey are under direct SAR control in an agreement with Erdogan in exchange for withdrawal from the 32 km deep "Safe Zone" in the north in 2020. However, Turkey still maintains their occupation in their western Syria border. region The further struggles of the Turkish economy as the world plunges into a recession has hurt the AKP even more in polling as Erdogan's approval rating is just 24% with 60% disapproving. Two years still remain before the general election in 2023 although the graphs show there is nowhere but down to go for the AKP.

Iran and Russia still retain 6,000 and 2,000 troops respectively, with most Iranian troops serving in the Liwa Fatemiyoun and Liwa Zainebiyoun militias (Afghan Hazaras refugees in Iran make up the former with Shia Pakistanis filling out the latter's ranks). Russia and Iran have provided loans to the SAR for their reconstruction contracts, with the EU slowly warming to potentially extending a small amount of credit although the reliability of repayment is suspect with the SAR's poor finances. Russia's appeal to resolving the Syrian refugee crisis has finally landed, with more and more right wing anti immigrant populists being elected in Europe. However, it remains to be seen if Assad will allow an significant amount to retain, being concerned with the loyalty of potential returnees. Lebanon and Turkey are demanding Assad speed up the screening process, complaining that out of a list of thousands of refugees, often times only hundreds will be allowed to return. The US withdrew troops shortly after President Warren's inauguration, Idlib being fully captured by the SAA a few days before alongside the Erdogan-Assad agreement for SAR occupation of the "Safe Zone".

Allocation of seats in Africa for the UN Parliamentary Assembly. There are 2000 seats in total with 338 in Africa. Each country is guaranteed one seat. I am doing this for the rest of the world.

UNPA Africa.png

Allocation of seats in Africa for the UN Parliamentary Assembly. There are 2000 seats in total with 338 in Africa. Each country is guaranteed one seat. I am doing this for the rest of the world.

Nice! Approximately how many people does one seat represent in the countries where they are proportional instead of having one seat by guarantee?

And you've still got communist China and identical borders, both internal and national, for almost the entirety of the New World? Yeah, I'd say this is kinda ASB.

Ok you have a point with those. But technically there are some differences in the Carribbean and and I don't think Peruvian northern border is the same. But you are right maybe I should work on the Americas.

Status
Not open for further replies.