Alternate invasive/introduced species

Are there any other nasty little critters that people live in fear of spreading?

Africanised bees have had a few horrors made about them. Are they as scary in real life as their silver screen representation or is it just one of those things blown up for movies like sharks/Jaws?

Not really familiar with coyotes but I think they are a little larger than red foxes (if a lot heavier). And I have encountered red foxes on the borders of the city of london, which is the equivalent of lower Manhattan!
Bloody funny really, 3AM “that dog has something odd. Oh, it’s neatly carrying a doner kebab complete with napkin. Wait, that’s not a dog!” doesn’t get more urban than that.

In a lot of areas in the US coyotes and foxes have learned to walk with their tails up like dogs.

Sorry... okay...

Let us see... South African Penguins to Iceland. I think they might thrive.
Might be a tad cold, the areas where they live around Cape Town are normally 30C through summer, and don't drop below 6C on winter nights. The water temperatures would be pretty similar though. They're very cute to see around Boulders Beach, one of my in-laws got pecked when she tried to pet one.

I like Komodo Dragons in the Everglades.
there is a B movie titled 'Komodo', where a bunch of the critters are accidently set loose on an Atlantic island just off the southern coast of the USA... and of course, all of them quickly grow to the maximum 12' they reach in the wild and become a menace to life and limb of a poor bunch of humans who end up on the island. There's a government conspiracy of some sort just for fun, and a kid who was traumatized by an encounter with them years earlier who becomes the hero....

Chimpanzees in Florida. American Bison in Central Asia. Gorrillas in the Andean lowlands. Ostriches on the Great plains. Someone earlier said Siberian Tigers in Alaska but I can imagine a project similar to Pleistocene Park in Russia taking place in Yellowstone with Siberian Tigers. Elephants in South America. Penguins in the Artic to give Polar Bears an alternative food source. Kangaroos in Africa. Cheetahs in Australia.

Chimpanzees in Florida. American Bison in Central Asia. Gorrillas in the Andean lowlands. Ostriches on the Great plains. Someone earlier said Siberian Tigers in Alaska but I can imagine a project similar to Pleistocene Park in Russia taking place in Yellowstone with Siberian Tigers. Elephants in South America. Penguins in the Artic to give Polar Bears an alternative food source. Kangaroos in Africa. Cheetahs in Australia.
There's a few Ostrich farms in Northern Ireland. Get a few escapees and that's a different area for an invasive species.

I've also seen Llamas and Capybara at the Drakensberg Sun hotel in South Africa, which is quite high and temperate.

Driftless

Donor
To state the obvious... For most of these alternatives, you need a Yin for their Yang... That is some other organism that readily eats or otherwise controls the invader.

I know that this is a bit ASB, but there always Alligators in the New York City Sewers.
Turn the Urban Legend of Alligators brought up from Florida and then flush down the toilets into true events.

MatthewB

Banned
Cougars to Newfoundland, no not those MILFs picking up young oil patch workers, but Puma concolor, to deal with the moose.

402px-Cougar_range_map_2010.png

Russian mammoths to Canada, raised from the dead

They kinda sorta very distantly did like this when they introduced the muskox in Labrador (perfectly suited but never lived there because geography).

I don't know. Even if the coyote is adaptable, I still think it would across as a bit conspicuous in British cities.

Coyotes would take over the dominant predator spot in the UK and cull the foxes in 0.0. The main reason foxes and badgers are as commonly seen there is because humans exterminated other predators (notably the wolf). You don't see them as much in Eurasia and North America despite also living there or similar species being there. Also would hybridize with dogs and grow larger overtime due to the superpopulation of deer.

Unrelated to the above: every land vertebrate in Australia could probably become invasive in New Zealand. And that includes quite a few species that are critically endangered or were driven to extinction by humans.

I also thought about African fruit bats in South America. Specially if they carry ebola. And monitor lizards.

Canadian lynx to Siberia, European Russia, and Scandinavia.

Leopard seals to Canada would be devastating to the economy and ecology of Nunavut.

Iberian lynx to California and perhaps some regions of Chile and Argentina.

There's a few Ostrich farms in Northern Ireland. Get a few escapees and that's a different area for an invasive species.
There's also a bunch of rheas wandering around in parts of Germany after having escaped from local farms. I could see similar events happening elsewhere in Europe or in the US/Canada. Which makes me wonder why with all the llama/alpaca farms in the US there hasn't been a feral population established.

They kinda sorta very distantly did like this when they introduced the muskox in Labrador (perfectly suited but never lived there because geography).
They could be reintroduced to a lot of places in the circumpolar areas since muskox were driven to extinction by human activities in all but the most remote places of the Canadian Arctic.