Alternate invasive/introduced species

A further cultural notion..... An AH re-wording for "Home on the Range"....
"Oh give me a home where the camel-ids roam... and the deer and the antelope pla-ay..."​
There were a number of Stories about Camels running around the Americans Deserts in the late 19th Century. They were suppose to be ones that escaped from the Army Camel Corp.
So if some of those stories were true and somehow some breeding pairs got together, we might have seen Camels as a invasive species.

Speaking of beavers, I remember reading an account of a beaver killing a man in Belarus; the beaver bit him on the leg and sliced an artery, making him bleed to death. Don't fuck with them.

Last edited:
Cassowaries in Florida/Deep South. PoD is the guy who owned the cassowary ranch and was killed by one has his cassowaries escape and now articles like "naked Florida man killed by cassowary" or "Florida man arrested for trying to make an alligator and cassowary fight" appear every so often in the media and Florida starts competing with Australia for "most dangerous wildlife".

Speaking of Australia, get some eccentric big game hunter type to bring in some lions from Africa so he can hunt them on his property and then have them escape so Australia can eventually have a few thousand lions roaming around the outback munching on kangaroo, emus, and sheep/cattle. I wonder if they'd be eradicated in time since they'd cause the ranching industry a lot of losses.

i've got a basic idea for my ASB ATL where, by TTL's present-day, the ecosystem of the Everglades has basically changed into a cross between the Nile and the Amazon, and that it includes the wholly-fictional introduction of piranhas to the regions

Oh my god, just imagine if some idiot decided to release the candiru into the US or Australia as some cruel prank.

Piranhas in the US would be pretty interesting.

Last edited:
another concept i have for invasive species in my ASB ATL--or rather, as a response to them--is that they're uniquely okay'd for sport hunting and native species are marked as protected. particularly, i've got the idea that wallabies in *Britain (which is actually a thing IOTL, to the detriment of the native capercaillie) are particularly subjected to this such that a given *British sport hunter who might appear has a wallaby-skin rug in front of his favorite chair

A British introduction of the fisher or wolverine could be interesting.

Siberian tigers in Alaska, and maybe it expands to Canada.

Last edited:
Can't believe I forgot something so obvious: cheetahs in North America, perhaps used to control pronghorn.

Well once upon a time there was a North American Cheetah (it was bigger than the modern ones) and that is why the Pronghorn evolved the way it did so there you go.

I like Komodo Dragons in the Everglades.

I'm aware that there were cheetahs in North America. That's why I think it'd be interesting to see them there in modern day.

Reminds me, there is a nature reserve in Russia called the Pleistocene Park, where an attempt is being made to recreate the mammoth steppe that once flourished in the area during the last glacial period. It's pretty interesting.

Reminds me, there is a nature reserve in Russia called the Pleistocene Park, where an attempt is being made to recreate the mammoth steppe that once flourished in the area during the last glacial period. It's pretty interesting.
agreed. every time i tried to make a "Pleistocene Park" in Zoo Tycoon, i based its species list on that and some others (another was the Elephant Odyssey exhibit at the San Diego Zoo, which itself is an interesting model for if one wanted to try Pleistocene rewilding in North America)

Driftless

Donor
I don't know. Even if the coyote is adaptable, I still think it would across as a bit conspicuous in British cities.

Coyotes sometimes supplant foxes as the all-purpose mostly carnivorous forager.

I once saw a coyote cross a very busy suburban 6 lane street(Lone Oak Road - Eagan, MN), running between two large shopping centers. We were waiting to turn at a stop light and watched this coyote jog up across the parking lot to the edge of the roadway. He briefly sat down, looked both ways and then crossed onto the grassy median, where he promptly sat down and waited for traffic to clear before he jogged over to grocery store on the other side of the road. The guy in the car with me said: "Jesus Christ.... My kids don't look that carefully when they cross the road...." As long as people aren't shooting at them, they don't fret about human proximity much.

Coyotes sometimes supplant foxes as the all-purpose mostly carnivorous forager.

I once saw a coyote cross a very busy suburban 6 lane street(Lone Oak Road - Eagan, MN), running between two large shopping centers. We were waiting to turn at a stop light and watched this coyote jog up across the parking lot to the edge of the roadway. He briefly sat down, looked both ways and then crossed onto the grassy median, where he promptly sat down and waited for traffic to clear before he jogged over to grocery store on the other side of the road. The guy in the car with me said: "Jesus Christ.... My kids don't look that carefully when they cross the road...." As long as people aren't shooting at them, they don't fret about human proximity much.

Oh heck, one walked into a Quizno's Subs in Chicago a fee years ago and they've been spotted in the Rock Creek Park in the District of Columbia. Those things are everywhere now.

I don't know. Even if the coyote is adaptable, I still think it would across as a bit conspicuous in British cities.
Not really familiar with coyotes but I think they are a little larger than red foxes (if a lot heavier). And I have encountered red foxes on the borders of the city of london, which is the equivalent of lower Manhattan!
Bloody funny really, 3AM “that dog has something odd. Oh, it’s neatly carrying a doner kebab complete with napkin. Wait, that’s not a dog!” doesn’t get more urban than that.

How about raccoons in the UK? I think they'd do pretty well there.
Racoons would do pretty well just about anywhere. They've been introduced to Germany and Japan and are causing no end of trouble there.
Other serious potential troublemakers from North America would be the coyote and the jack rabbit. Just ask any Australian members of AH how much trouble they're causing down under.
Some phones patients introduced to the United States, lions and cheetahs could actually thrive on the Great Prains of America if the were sufficient antelope and buffalos to hunt.
A few years ago Florida fish and Game pretty much pooped a brick when someone killed a Nile crocodile in the Everglades.
Fortunately it was still a baby and they don't think any more are out there, but it is a rather scary thought.

Last edited:
At the smaller end of the scale, we have a big problem with Spanish Slugs. Fire Ants, Yellow Crazy Ants, Potato Beetles etc are a huge pain in many places. European wasps are a horror show in Australia. Tiger mosquitoes :mad:

Are there any other nasty little critters that people live in fear of spreading?

Oh my god, just imagine if some idiot decided to release the candiru into the US as some cruel prank.

Are they the ones that swim up your pee when you're pissing into a river and lodge inside *there*?

All the nos in the entire world...