Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
If there is a gotten word that atrocities was uncovered in the CV-controlled United States, then there will be an international condemnation and Soviets and other countries could invade the United States if there are acts of human rights violations are uncovered and if happens, then the United States could turn into an Afghanistan-styled battleground where Christian terrorism spreads worldwide and becoming a major problem/concerns if persists.
Canada and Cuba are mentioned as already having done so in the Rummyhorror update.

I think all people have that attitude, to a certain degree.

Evil comes from how far you are willing to go to get what you want.
And that's why humility is a big thing with religions. You have to realize that no, you're not that important in the grand scheme of things, and other people have needs and wants too.

Pity that bit was subverted by the CVs.

As for deposing the Pope... I can see the Pope unwilling to let the Defenders of God win, and end up "in semi-retirement" (read: house arrest) in the Vatican while an "acting Pope" takes office temporarily for the DoG to take over. A modern-day Antipope, if you will.

As long as Rob Reiner doesn't do "North", I'll be a happy man.

So what's happening in Yugoslavia at this point? Tito been dead for years, and nobody else is strong enough to hold it together for long.

I can see the Pope unwilling to let the Defenders of God win, and end up "in semi-retirement" (read: house arrest) in the Vatican while an "acting Pope" takes office temporarily for the DoG to take over. A modern-day Antipope, if you will.
Either Pope Pius XII remains Pope and is still nominal head of the Church, in which case nothing much has changed other than the College of Cardinals having slightly more influence, or he resigns and the College picks a new Pope, in which case it probably won't be a DoR as trying to stage a coup d'etat is generally not looked on well. The DoR (ultra-conservative Catholics) really won't come out of this well. I could see Great Schism mark 2 being the result of all this.

Continuing from my last post, there are several ways this could go in the Catholic Church.
1) Pius remains Pope whilst in the Vatican and continues to fulfill his responsibilities from there. The DoR's siege is broken up by Swiss Guards/Italian police.
2) Pius remains Pope but moves the papacy to Avignon or Turin or another city nearby to escape the siege. There is historical precedent for this; Clement V did it in the 1300s but was pretty much the King of France's servant more than anything so he will have to be careful regarding those sorts of comparisons.
3) The DoR declare their leader an antipope. Not going to go down well as this isn't the 15th century and you can't declare yourself an antipope for shits and giggles.
4) The Pope resigns. Pretty much the same thing happens as if he'd died - College of Cardinals picks a new Pope and normal service is resumed.
5) The DoR secede from the church. Most likely to happen and likely leads to Great Schism 2: Electric Boogaloo.

I don't think one can declare themselves an antipope. More like declaring themselves the True Pope(TM) and everyone else disagreeing.

And that's why humility is a big thing with religions. You have to realize that no, you're not that important in the grand scheme of things, and other people have needs and wants too.

Pity that bit was subverted by the CVs.

Again, the CVs will be a very harsh lesson on why religious fervor and power should never mix with absolute power, especially in an age of total and industrial war. Because when you get power, you will do anything to preserve it.

Robertson and his kind were, at their core, selfish bigots just trying to justify their power, and putting them in power would inevitably be tragic.

As long as Rob Reiner doesn't do "North", I'll be a happy man..

That alone makes TTL a utopia.

If there is a gotten word that atrocities was uncovered in the CV-controlled United States, then there will be an international condemnation and Soviets and other countries could invade the United States if there are acts of human rights violations are uncovered and if happens, then the United States could turn into an Afghanistan-styled battleground where Christian terrorism spreads worldwide and becoming a major problem/concerns if persists.

Nope. The Soviets are busy focusing on their MBA style communism and withdrew from Afghanistan (if I remember correctly). Why even bother to invade the now-CSA? There's a gun behind every bush, it's just going to be an all-out bloodbath. In terms of realpolitik (not in terms of morality), it makes sense to just let the CSA destroy itself.

Nope. The Soviets are busy focusing on their MBA style communism and withdrew from Afghanistan (if I remember correctly). Why even bother to invade the now-CSA? There's a gun behind every bush, it's just going to be an all-out bloodbath. In terms of realpolitik (not in terms of morality), it makes sense to just let the CSA destroy itself.

I bet there is a bit of schadenfreude among hardliner Soviets, watching the capitalist pigs shooting themselves in the foot, tempered with pity toward the Americans fighting and dying for their lives.

Pretty much the biggest issue with invading the USA right now, even in its weakest state. If they really wanted to do a military intervention, their best bet would be to pump money and equipment into California, Canada, and Mexico and let those three fund the separatist forces. The CSA would be so drowned in brushfires, insurgencies, and civil war it won't be able to do anything for another decade, assuming they don't just collapse from war exhaustion.

Though if we're assuming a long shot and actually going for a full-out foreign intervention in war-torn America, it'll require at least a month or two of buildup and base-building in the "Frontline" nations - Canada, California, and Mexico, something the CSA is definitely going to notice. It also requires a ton of assumptions and preparations, like having an exit strategy, working with the locals, trying to set up a replacement government, etc... After which, you roll on down through the Great Plains, Texas, and New England, and possibly an amphibious landing from the Great Lakes. Even then, it's going to be a really rough fight.

To Summarize:
Great Patriotic War: The biggest sub-conflict in history, covering massive territories, using millions of troops, and causing millions of casualties, both military and civilian.
Foreign Intervention in SACW: "Hold my beer."

So the best bet at the moment to destroy the Americans is to give weapons to the other Americans fighting them.
I bet there is a bit of schadenfreude among hardliner Soviets, watching the capitalist pigs shooting themselves in the foot, tempered with pity toward the Americans fighting and dying for their lives.
I'd imagine it takes the edge off the bitterness of going semi-Capitalist themselves. Then again, given the better standard of living and increased influence, they may not mind.

So I'm wondering whether "My Mark of Cain" by Albert Brewer was post-war, or post-humous. Seems like it would be an interesting read as an autobiography.

I'd imagine it takes the edge off the bitterness of going semi-Capitalist themselves. Then again, given the better standard of living and increased influence, they may not mind.

OTL China has taken very well to capitalism, while still calling itself a people's republic. I'm sure their Ministry of Truth can come up with a way to justify their newfound wealth as "the achievement of the proletariat."

So I'm wondering whether "My Mark of Cain" by Albert Brewer was post-war, or post-humous. Seems like it would be an interesting read as an autobiography.

Post-war biography.

I found Drew's portrayal of Albert Brewer to be really poignant and sad.

A man who supposed to represent a New South became a symbol of Rumsfeldian reaction.

My idea was for him was to be a regretful Rumsfeldian: after experiencing hard labor and abuse, he would comprehend how he brought this upon himself, by helping Rumsfeld sink America into the depths of depravity.

Last edited:
Defenders of Rome: We defend the greatest Kingdom of all. The Kingdom of God, which is higher then any man, while Pius defends heresy and deviation.

As for deposing the Pope... I can see the Pope unwilling to let the Defenders of God win, and end up "in semi-retirement" (read: house arrest) in the Vatican while an "acting Pope" takes office temporarily for the DoG to take over. A modern-day Antipope, if you will.
As a Catholic, I can say that the defenders of Rome would be seen as schismatics, and not accepted. The vast majority of the faithful, even if they disagree with the Pope, would stay behind him.

Status
Not open for further replies.