Rumsfeldia: Fear and Loathing in the Decade of Tears

Status
Not open for further replies.
Odds are American successor-states are going to be approaching France in how secular they are. In addition, fairly firm statements on how everyone is equal before the law regardless of race, colour, creed, gender or orientation. Probably lines to that effect will be written into Constitutions, along with stringent anti-discrimination legislation.

Uh....

Laws are well and good, but they don't matter if people choose not to enforce them.

OTL, the Constitution already guarantees a lot of those things. ITTL, the courts and the legislature didn't care as Rummy slowly subverted them, because he was pushing (on paper) their political agenda.
A good number of politicians (not just CV and Republicans, but more then a few Democrats and Libertarians) prove willing to trade their freedom and the independence of their political institutions for personal gain or for meaningless values.

You can pass all the laws you want, but if the people in power don't give a shit, it won't make a difference.

As I've said above, there needs to be an American version of De-Nazification, so that future generations avoid making the same wretched mistakes of their ancestors. You can't just have laws, you need a generation of people who will adhere to laws over any short term political interest.

What happened with Rumsfeld after the coup, though? Is he on a mental ward?
I'd have to say "disappeared for good". Like Beria was. His living serves no purpose, and they (the 'Republicans'/Corporatists) can't put him on trial - and the CVs aren't interested in show trials. Would be easier to kill him and ditch the body somewhere.

That's my conjecture, though.

Also @Bookmark1995 it would be incredibly hard to deny that Chicago got nuked; there's a giant fuck-off crater and a lot of wrecked buildings.

Then again, we had people denying the Sandy Hook shooting and the Holocaust, so you might have a point there.

Also @Bookmark1995 it would be incredibly hard to deny that Chicago got nuked; there's a giant fuck-off crater and a lot of wrecked buildings.

Then again, we had people denying the Sandy Hook shooting and the Holocaust, so you might have a point there.

What OTL (and especially ITTL) has taught me, is that people will choose to deny facts that don't fit into the narratives they support.

For someone who believes in the Good Book, it is going to be very difficult for them to accept what is done in their faith. While many will understand those things, others will use selective history and facts to either deny it, claim it was good, or simply say it was justified.

I'd have to say "disappeared for good". Like Beria was. His living serves no purpose, and they (the 'Republicans'/Corporatists) can't put him on trial - and the CVs aren't interested in show trials. Would be easier to kill him and ditch the body somewhere.

That's my conjecture, though.

I disagree that the CVs aren't interested in show trials.

If anything, they'll want to make an example of him to drum up support among their base in the Midwest and South as the Civil War heats up. Rumsfeld is a convenient boogeyman to anyone who wasn't a corporatist.

ITTL, what explanations will there be to explain many different places turning to shit?
Well, for a lot of South/Latin America, it's American support drying up due to the economy tanking badly. Pinochet IOTL stayed till 1990, and was lauded by some as an economic genius - even though all he was doing was cooking the books and working with American money. ITTL, the money dried up, and the tsunami of economic troubles from the 1970s (which was worse than OTL) wound up making things more precarious and more dependent on foreign aid and business investment - which dried up because the USA collapsed, Europe can't spare the dosh, and the USSR isn't interested in funding an anti-communist.

China's collapse is a result of unfortunate poor communications and US government returning to belligerency and disregarding realpolitik. OTL Presidents, for all their faults, knew to keep China as their ally to keep the pressure on the USSR. Agnew, thinking he knows better (when he really fucking didn't) proceeds to burn the bridges to China Nixon made, and then China's rising hostility towards the USSR (coupled with the suspicions caused when the USSR tacitly supported the coup against Kim Il Sung and the reveal it was giving subpar weaponry to the Chinese on purpose) caused the Middle Kingdom to turn in on its - and hand power over to the worst possible candidate.

Syria and the Middle East is a combination of poor US foreign policy decisions and an excessive support of Israel's interests against all common sense. It ruined or broke several nations in the region, discredited Sadat, and ruined any potential for peace. It also left the more vulturous governments a chance to try to spread their power, like Iraq and the Likud government.

Ireland's a mess because it's pretty clearly Rumsfeld trying to stir up the pot (as it was implied he tried in Canada and elsewhere), and South Africa is basically the US giving the apartheid a blank check and supporting the worst possible candidate in "Madness" Malan.

Another big reason is the crumbling of the Nuclear Taboo, which I'm still surprised any American president would allow. People started tossing WMDs on a more disturbingly regular basis, though I suspect the late 1990s and the 2000s would be a golden time for disarmament movements.
What OTL (and especially ITTL) has taught me, is that people will choose to deny facts that don't fit into the narratives they support.

For someone who believes in the Good Book, it is going to be very difficult for them to accept what is done in their faith. While many will understand those things, others will use selective history and facts to either deny it, claim it was good, or simply say it was justified.
Granted, they're going to be the minority - assuming there is justice in the world and saner people take over the helm of US Christianity. Catholics are still going to be angry, and they'll bring up the genocide if any apologists try to excuse the atrocities. Which begs a question, where's the US Jewish population in all this? I doubt the CVs would be any more tolerant of a "Christ-killer" than they are of "Papists".
I disagree that the CVs aren't interested in show trials.

If anything, they'll want to make an example of him to drum up support among their base in the Midwest and South as the Civil War heats up. Rumsfeld is a convenient boogeyman to anyone who wasn't a corporatist.
Basically a stick to beat their opponents with and to keep their formerly pro-Rumsfeld senators and congressmen in line, then? I suppose that makes sense.

ITTL, what explanations will there be to explain many different places turning to shit?

Well, for a lot of South/Latin America, it's American support drying up due to the economy tanking badly. Pinochet IOTL stayed till 1990, and was lauded by some as an economic genius - even though all he was doing was cooking the books and working with American money. ITTL, the money dried up, and the tsunami of economic troubles from the 1970s (which was worse than OTL) wound up making things more precarious and more dependent on foreign aid and business investment - which dried up because the USA collapsed, Europe can't spare the dosh, and the USSR isn't interested in funding an anti-communist.

China's collapse is a result of unfortunate poor communications and US government returning to belligerency and disregarding realpolitik. OTL Presidents, for all their faults, knew to keep China as their ally to keep the pressure on the USSR. Agnew, thinking he knows better (when he really fucking didn't) proceeds to burn the bridges to China Nixon made, and then China's rising hostility towards the USSR (coupled with the suspicions caused when the USSR tacitly supported the coup against Kim Il Sung and the reveal it was giving subpar weaponry to the Chinese on purpose) caused the Middle Kingdom to turn in on its - and hand power over to the worst possible candidate.

Syria and the Middle East is a combination of poor US foreign policy decisions and an excessive support of Israel's interests against all common sense. It ruined or broke several nations in the region, discredited Sadat, and ruined any potential for peace. It also left the more vulturous governments a chance to try to spread their power, like Iraq and the Likud government.

Ireland's a mess because it's pretty clearly Rumsfeld trying to stir up the pot (as it was implied he tried in Canada and elsewhere), and South Africa is basically the US giving the apartheid a blank check and supporting the worst possible candidate in "Madness" Malan.

Another big reason is the crumbling of the Nuclear Taboo, which I'm still surprised any American president would allow. People started tossing WMDs on a more disturbingly regular basis, though I suspect the late 1990s and the 2000s would be a golden time for disarmament movements.

I think there are also economic and structural reasons to. These are the reasons that can explain the collapse of the US.

The even more weakened economy created the atmosphere of extremism and crime, and this extremism overwhelmed the US Constitution.

I think there are also economic and structural reasons to. These are the reasons that can explain the collapse of the US.

The even more weakened economy created the atmosphere of extremism and crime, and this extremism overwhelmed the US Constitution.
Well, that's just a given. The whole point of this TL is that some very poor decisions, whether political, social, and/or economic, were made, and as such, people got desperate and went down a path they would never have considered otherwise.

I think the ITTL decline and fall of the United States will provide numerous lessons for future generations:

1) It is possible for the most "civilized" nations to take a massive leap backwards.

2) NO political system is infallible to malicious self-interest.

3) The failure to reform the political system.

4) The dangers of economic deprivation.

5) Any ideology is capable of reducing human beings to the level of insect, thus encouraging mass murder.

6) The corrosive power of xenophobia, bigotry, fanaticism, and greed.

7) The dangers of not compromising.

8) The destructiveness of pride.

9) Nothing good ever lasts forever.

Don't forget 10) Violence works both ways
Both the CV's and anti-CV sides had to shoot, stab and bomb it out to resolve the conflict

You mean, "those who live by the sword will often die by it?"
Very much. There will be far less militarist sentiment even though violence is considered a necessary evil (more emphasis on evil than necessay). On a related note, what would be attitudes twoards gun control post-war?

Very much. There will be far less militarist sentiment even though violence is considered a necessary evil (more emphasis on evil than necessay). On a related note, what would be attitudes twoards gun control post-war?

Well...its not like America is in any shape to be militaristic. Several states have seceded, the country is in ruin, and its reputation has been utterly blown to hell.

In the eyes of the world, America is like the prisoner who can't be trusted to have a toothbrush, or even have long fingernails.

But I think the issue of gun control might be a little more complicated.

The idea of an armed populace being the best defense against tyranny will certainly be very popular. The Western Manifesto states will certainly push the fiction that gun rights allowed them to resist the fascist evil of the CSA-probably ignoring the fact that they only were able to resist because Japan and California gave them the means to.

On the other hand those same liberal gun laws allowed the Holy Battalions to create their own police forces, and I imagine that armed CSA terrorists hiding out in the ruins will still be a problem, even if Coe and his minions bite it.

It might be like Switzerland, which allows people to own rifles, but ensures that lunatics don't get to hold them.

I think there will also be an emphasis on educating people about their constitutional rights, so as to guard them mentally against the corrupt antics of Rummy.

Hello everybody.

Drew (with input from me) put together the next part.

Although since it is big chapter, Drew could only put out the first part.

Anyways, here it is.

The Stars Fall Out (Part 1)

Saturday, July 1, 1989

The White House Situation Room

"Why do these Satanists continue to resist us in Congress?!" shouted Chief of Staff Tim Lahaye. "We've cut off their food, the lights, and the water! We have brought in brothers in Christ to demonstrate that good Americans will not fall for their heresy!"

"They planned ahead; must have stockpiled enough supplies to last them several months," Douglas Coe replied.

"Months!" shouted Acting President Symms. "But by that time, the Satanists will have gained a permanent foothold."

"Then let’s act in God's name," shouted Tim LaHaye, "and end this corrupt and spiteful obstruction by those who cannot understand the Truth."

"But then we will make these sinners into martyrs for the Satanists," Symms said, "It will embolden their followers to act-up more."

"Nonsense, Mr. Acting President," Coe shouted. "By casting down those sinners, we only embolden OUR cause. You can claim to have made the difficult choice of doing God's will, once our victory is complete."

Symms didn’t much like how Coe put so much emphasis on the Acting part of his title (especially considering that under the Constitution – at least as it used to be done – he should have been sworn in as President at this point. Of course, there was the whole eternal President thing: at this moment, Steve Symms saw nothing to be gained by arguing). He decided to walk the fine line between caution and obstruction.

"Are we ready for this?" the Acting President asked. "We have yet to subjugate Alabama and Cuba, much less California."

"Our decency campaign has netted us many, many sinners who must repent through labor," Tim LaHaye said with a proud smile. "We have enough of a workforce to sustain our crusade. All we need is the will to act. And by showing that these idolaters and idiots in Congress can't defy us, we will show others sinners that their cause is also futile."

"Mr. Acting President," Coe said, "shut down their feeble protest, and you shall enjoy God's favor."

"Very well," said Symms, rising from his chair and biting back his reluctance, "we will not let those fiends defy us." He walked out of the room.

-----

Acting President Steven Symms appears on television, declaring that the "Congress Satanists" have a deadline of 2 PM, July 4, to end their "unholy defiance", surrender, and repent for their sins. Or face the wrath of God.

"I do not believe that you are beyond hope, my misguided brothers. Leave the building, and you may once again regain the favor of the Almighty, but stay inside, and face his wrath."

The Puerto Rican Independence Referendum Takes Place.

The vote is 75 percent for independence, 19 for remaining in the United States, and 6 percent unsure. That same day, the Puerto Rican legislature declares the Commonwealth is now the Republic of Puerto Rico.

Baltasar Corrada becomes acting President.

"We shall pursue own our destiny, independent of the United States," said Corrada in a speech. "Even if the Washington government no longer believes in liberty, we will continue to uphold those traditions."

Sunday, July 2, 1989

For the first time, forces of the Chinese Caliphate engage with the military of the Republic of China 50 miles west of Wuhan. Despite being better armed, ROC soldiers are ultimately outnumbered by the fanatical Caliphate forces, and are pushed back toward the city. The battle shows how thinly stretched the ROC's military and administrative sources are across its shaky control over its mainland territories.

Facing a major war against an advancing Muslim horde, the ROC's attitude toward its territorial disputes with Korea and Vietnam and its negotiations with the United Kingdom over the status of Hong Kong and the surrounding territories both become a lot more flexible.

From the roof of a loudspeaker, Senator Birch Bayh issues a stern rebuttal to Acting President Symms' ultimatum, which is aired around the world.

"Acting President Symms declares himself to be brave and almighty. He calls himself a representative of God in his so-called speeches and discourses. These are not the words of a proud leader, but a desperate bully. The fact that he sees us, the representatives of the people, as threats to his power, shows that underneath that pious man is a weak coward.

We are the American nation, the proud and free Republic. In our refusal to cower and hide, we represent America and its ideals. You, Mr. Symms, if you send your thugs and mercenaries after us, you wage war on the very principles of this nation. And history shows that those who fight against freedom will lose in the end. Even now Symms, many others throughout this great nation continue to resist you. If we go down, many others will rise up.

I dare you sir, to come at us.”

--------

Across the US, protests breakout in defense of besieged protestors, which are suppressed by CV authorities.

The Hughes Network airs The San Juan Battle

The film depicts George Washington waging war on "Godless Puerto Ricans," who have defied "His Will." Like the Righteous Battle, it claims to feature "natives" being "heroically" slaughtered and converted to Christianity.

Sidenote: The film is seen as an obvious attack on Puerto Rico's independence movement. What is notable about the film is its glaring historical inaccuracies. Among others, Washington never fought in Puerto Rico (which didn't join the US until 1898) and the "native" Puerto Ricans have Mexican traditions (like piñatas and sombreros).

After the film, Geraldo Rivera comments: "Washington showed the Puerto Ricans who is boss, and hopefully, this government can do the same."

In San Juan, an effigy of Rivera is burned by a pro-independence mob, underneath a banner that reads "Geraldo Quisling."

Monday, July 3, 1989

The Siege of Alabama begins to enter a new period of ferocity. The intensity of the bombing escalates, with major cities like Birmingham and Montgomery being particularly brutal.

However, among the conventional weapons are herbicides and other chemical weapons that are secretly being dumped in order to devastate Alabama's food supply.

Brazilian soldiers fall to military strikes by Democratic Amazon forces 25 miles west of the city of Goiana. The Brazilian government sends hundreds of thousands of troops to defend the city, which is strategically critical to the defense of the Brazilian capital.

This is followed by violent riots in the favelas of Rio and São Paulo, who are not only rioting over continued military defeats by the ruling junta, but also dictatorial policies and economic decline.

Tuesday, July 4, 1989

Holy Battalions and some DC police begin to advance on the Capitol Building at 2 PM, but are blocked by several pro-Capitol forces (mainly survivalist militias, renegade DC police, the Capitol Police who have remained loyal to the Congress and National Guardsmen, and private armed citizens).

For 3 hours, sporadic gun battles take place on the ground between these forces (as well as from the roof, as some of the besieged Congressman use their military prowess).

--------

The Steps of the Capitol

Chief of Staff Tim LaHaye stood frustrated by the continued gun battles between the Battalions and the defenders.

"Why does this continue?" LaHaye angrily asked a nearby Battalion. "Shouldn't the fiends have been dealt with by now?"

"Our forces are limited," the Battalion officer said with some frustration. "We must not only patrol the Capitol, but the slums populated by the unclean mobs. We can only send in-,"

"Enough!" Lahaye shouted. He pulled out a pistol and began firing impotently toward the doors of the building. "We must not show weakness."

--------

The White House

Douglas Coe looked out the window in disgust. He decided that the time for restraint had come to an end. He barked one word - “destiny” - into a walkie talkie.

At 5:15 PM, 6 Pershing Missiles are fired at the Capitol Building. The building is obliterated, and almost no members of Congress survive. Tim LaHaye, who in the confusion remained too close to the building instead of heeding Coe’s order to withdraw, is injured by some of the falling debris.

--------

The New York Times - July 4, 2014

A Witness Recalls the Obliteration of the Capitol Building

Michael Bromley

By the time of the Congressional Siege, I had become a staffer for several CV politicians. I was able to witness the obliteration of the Capitol from the Dirksen Building.

I witnessed the explosion outside my office window. That massive building, which stood for over a century and one-half, was turned to dust and rubble within a few minutes. Suddenly, there arose great, angry cheers from the CV politicians, who reveled in the obliteration of the so-called "Satanists."

Me, I was...confused, perturbed maybe. Truth is, I didn't see the destruction of the Capitol as anything but some distant enemy being destroyed.

Years later, many, many historians refer to the destruction of Congress as "the beginning of madness." They say that the obliteration of the building was the beginning of the terror, the genocides, the child soldiers, the use of nukes.

Of course, it is easy to assume that. The Capitol was an icon of democracy, the very symbol of centuries of Enlightenment ideals and representative government. And its destruction occurred on the day America declared itself free of British tyranny.

However, the madness was not in the destruction of the symbol of representative government, but in the reaction - the lack of reaction, specifically, of myself and millions of others.

Millions of us had grown up revering the Capitol, and the Constitutional government which it represented. In 1973, had Spiro Agnew attempted to send a militia to arrest the Senators and Congressman trying to impeach him, millions of Americans would have risen up against him, soldiers would have defected, and the nation would have shut down, especially if it had happened on 4th of July. In the years since it had withstood even the dark years of Rumsfeldian tyranny, the Congress somehow surviving even if so many of its members were declared to have had a nervous breakdown.

Yet in 1989, when it was destroyed, there was no great uprising, aside from in the Libertarian West and the Northeast.

This was a sign that madness had already consumed the majority of us by July 1989, that we could be desensitized toward such a vile act. Perhaps it began with Rumsfeld, who was able to convince the majority of Americans to tear apart their Constitutional rights, accept the loss of workers' rights, murder wounded soldiers, scrap alliances with democratic states, and sell our infrastructure to the highest bidder.

Perhaps it began on July 4th 1976, when America's celebration of 200 years of independence turned into a day of tragedy, when fundamentalist Muslims unleashed cruel terrorist attacks upon us out of anger for American intervention.

But, by 1989, madness was already the norm in America. The terror and death that followed was merely that madness brought to a logical conclusion.

Wednesday, July 5, 1989

Acting President Steven Symms praises the Holy Battalions for the obliteration of a "major obstacle" to Godlessness.

"But the job is only half-done. Now we must begin to reward the faithful, and punish the sinners, and make our nation ready for His return to the Earth."

In the Supreme Court, the CV politicians who were not part of the Siege of Congress meet and vote on the creation of the New Godly Amendments. In practice, the CV politicians wish to incorporate the Ten Commandments and the February Laws into the Constitution. They also vote to rename the United States of America to "the Christian States of America."

The vote is unanimous, and an Article V convention is to be declared, with 35 state legislatures needed to ratify the New Constitution and new name for the country.

Violent riots break out across the Union over the Obliteration of Congress and the creation of the Godly Constitution.

Governor Spiro Agnew launches a ferocious attack on the Symms administration, denouncing the destruction of the Capitol Building, and the Godly Constitution.

"Symms and his acolytes have gone from being mere authoritarians to the very opponents of Liberty with this barbarity," says Governor Spiro Agnew before the New York State Senate. "I will not bow to the whims of this monster and his medieval malfeasance. And I can assure you, many other governors and millions of other citizens feel the same way."

Other Northeastern governors and many Libertarian Western governors also denounce this act.

Thursday, July 6, 1989

Steven Symms signs an executive order, expressing direct federal control over the "Satanic regions" for their "pro-Hell policies." They include the Northeastern States, the Western Manifesto States, Oregon, Washington State, Alabama, Arizona, Nevada, and New Mexico.

"These regions no longer deserve the distinction of being called states, for they believe in a chaotic, Satanic bacchanalia with their Godless conduct. Therefore, they must be brought to obedience in His name as we build a Godly union."

As the CV don't have the support to amend the Constitution (which would require 35 state legislatures at this point in time), Steven Symms rationalize that they can lower the number of needed states by de-certifying states that won’t be part of a process of amending the Constitution.

Friday, July 7, 1989

Protests take place across state capitals against both the destruction of Congress and the attempt to amend the Constitution to push Christian ideals. The protests are brutally suppressed by Holy Battalions.

Saturday, July 8, 1989

Pope Pius appears on television to denounce the Symms administration for its destruction of Congress, and calling its attempts at building Christendom a heresy.

Before Pius can finish his speech, the Basilica is besieged by protestors from Defenders of Rome. Claiming to have been outraged by the timidness of the Pope, they launch a sit down strike around the Vatican, saying they will refuse to budge until the Pope resigns in favor of a true “Defender of God”.

The strikers effectively trap Pope Pius inside the Basilica, and block other tourists, notably left-wing Catholic organizations from entry into the Holy See. Pius is politically cornered as he does not want to be seen as attacking Pius Christians. It is for this reason that Italian police are also reluctant to move in on these protestors.

Sunday, July 9, 1989

A bomb explodes in front of the White House. Though no one is injured, and the property damage is negligible, Steven Symms blames the attack on “Godless Heathens wishing to disrupt the most sacred Union,” and signs an executive order, creating the Extraordinary Executive Commission for Enforcement of Scripture and Protection from Heresy.

Years later, the origin of this attack is unknown, but it is believed that this was false flag attack to justify the creation of the American Inquisition.

Monday, July 10, 1989

Columbus, OH

The CEO of TRW was reading reports from the accounting department. In layman’s terms, he was enjoying his highest margins since the CVs had brought back a measure of order.

He was pulled away from his internal celebration by the ringing of his phone.

“Hello,” he said.

“Sir,” said his chief of security, “the Holy Freaks are in the lobby.”

“Why didn’t they call?” the CEO asked, annoyed. “If Symms wants something from me, he should’ve made an appointment.”

“Where’s your damn warrant,” shouted his chief, before he heard screams, shouts, and gunshots.

The CEO sat in shock for a few moments, before he heard the glass door to his office being broken into. He began feeling something he hadn’t felt in a long time: a chill down his spine. In stepped two Holy Battalion members.

“What the hell is this?” the CEO asked the two approaching thugs, who gave him a dark look. Without warning, they grabbed him by the hair, and shoved him to the ground.

“I paid you a fortune!” shouted the CEO, fear and anger pouring through his voice.

“And you think this gives you power over us,” said one the Holy thugs, grabbing the CEO up by the hair.

“We serve a higher power,” said the other man, “and you have violated His word.”

The CEO struggled, before another blow to the head silenced him.

Tuesday, July 11, 1989

The CV-dominated Florida State Senate issues a charge of impeachment against Governor Jack Eckerd (R-FL) for “Godlessness and openness toward Satan”.

The procedure is marred by procedural violations, along with many non-CV politicians being prevented from entering the building by Holy Battalions. Within minutes of the impeachment, Jack Eckerd, and Lieutenant Governor Bob Martinez are arrested by CV, and deported to a CV “rehabilitation center”. The CV Florida Speaker of the House is inaugurated as governor, and promises to “cleanse the sins of the Florida state.”

Later inquiries reveal that Jack Eckerd’s impeachment (and show trial) was largely politically motivated. Eckerd brushed off numerous demands by the state CV to join the Christian Values Party. While Eckerd did participate in the February Laws, providing human chattel, he did not meet the quotas demanded by CV authorities.

Thursday, July 13, 1989

Hughes Network Report:

“Jack Eckerd, the deposed former governor and Satanic traitor, has confessed under oath to being a member of a pro-Satanic conspiracy that tried to bomb the President on July 9.”

CV “policeman”: We soon became aware of this conspiracy because of his refusal to enforce the Godly laws that the late President Robertson passed. Through interrogation and dedication, we have managed to crack that Satanist in all his evil. He also exposed numerous other conspirators among the Florida Republicans, of whom we are in the process of…apprehending.

Steven Symms and (behind him) SNICO Douglas Coe appear at a press conference, congratulating the brave Floridan Christians for their “dedication to His word.” The Acting President signs into law the creation of the Extraordinary Executive Commission for Enforcement of Scripture and Protection from Heresy to deal with this clear threat.

Later that day, Eckerd’s “confession” is played on Hughes Network, in which he confesses to a litany of insane crimes, including “parasitism, homosexuality, Satanism”.

July 13 is later said to mark date of the American Inquisition, or the American Purge.

July-August 1989

This period is said to be the most intense period of the American Inquisition. From July 14 to August 28, between 100,000 people are charged under various “moral crimes,” sentenced to either death, or hard labor.

On Hughes Network, hundreds of officials, many of them prominent Republicans and Rumsfeldians, are publicly tried, convicted and dispatched to prison. Among the more prominent figures who fall victim to the inquisition are former Defense Secretary William Kristol, former Vice President Jack Edwards, former House Speaker Trent Lott, Justices Byron White and William Rehnquist, Chief Justice Strom Thurmond, and former Indiana Governor Otis Bowen.

At the same time, a Constitutional Convention is being prepared among “moral states” for the ratification of the new Godly Constitution.

Ten Years of Terror: The Rumsfeldia-CV Period - Francis Fukuyama, 2002

The American Inquisition, like any show trial, was largely conceived to consolidatie power and achieve social control.

The central figure (and the man who came to be at the center of the CV power structure) was Douglas Coe, who ultimately ran the Inquisition. Tim LeHaye was said to be a part of the process until his temporary incapacitation following the destruction of the US Congress.

Coe’s main goal had been the creation of the Christian States of America. His Stalinist-lite purge coincided, not coincidentally, with the pushing of state legislatures and governors (those still considered by the Symms administration to be states) to ratify the new Godly amendments to the Constitution.

The other goal was to gain a measure of legitimacy from the deprived American population. By 1989, the Republican Party had become synonymous with Rumsfeldia, even among Republicans who were not directly part of the process. The persecution and arrest of those connected to Rumsfeld was said to help gain a certain level of support among the population seeking retribution for the period and its excesses. Many people, though wary of the CV, nonetheless applauded the arrest of many of Rumsfeld’s more prominent henchmen. (The number one villain was said to be rotting in a prison somewhere, until the unfixed day of his trial).

Others challenges to the power of the CV came in the form of religious leaders who opposed them and their policies; this campaign saw the beginning of the CV attack on Catholic and other religious institutions.

Another goal was to put more and more laborers to work building the CV war machine and to prevent the flow of migrants from being cut off.

The process of the show trial was simple yet brutal: the accused would be brought to an interrogator, who would push them to confess to an alleged crime and to provide names to other accusers.

If they refused to confess, they would be subjected to varying degrees of torture. Some would be savagely beaten; others were waterboarded. There were even some instances of crucifixion (though short of death) to extract crimes among the more fanatical and/or sadistic interrogators. Some were motivated to confess by threats against their families (who were often detained anyways). Sometimes, a good cop was brought in, to assure the interrogated that “their souls could be saved.”

Once they confessed, they would be branded so the public would be made aware of their crime and later be subjected to a brief trial. The evidence, when provided, often had little to do with the fallacious charges, but a damaging fact, gained through surveillance about the accused that served to weaken his or her popularity of the victim.

The case of Former House Speaker Trent Lott was typical. On July 18, 1989, he was arrested on numerous charges, including “treason and corruption”. Over the course of a week, he was very savagely beaten and threats were made against his family. It was after three days of solitary confinement, however, that he finally confessed - and named dozens of his Mississippi colleagues.

On July 27, he was brought to trial in DC District Court (which soon became the central location for trials during the Inquisition) which was presided by over Jack Thompson, an attorney and anti-obscenity fanatic who became influential in Florida-CV circles.

After a long summation, Lott weakly confessed on camera to numerous ridiculous crimes. Afterwards, his treason charge was justified by the prosecutor with recordings of numerous phone calls to various embassies of European nations, in which he begged (unsuccessfully) for asylum. While this was itself not illegal, it demonstrated to many the willingness of a prominent politician to abandon his country.

Trent Lott was sentenced to death, though the court – in its “Godly Mercy” – suspended the sentence to one of hard labor, to be subject “to further review” depending on Lott’s behavior in prison.

Of course, there were many other people who were able to resist this torture. Among them were former Chief Justice Strom Thurmond and former Vice President Jack Edwards.

The latters’ resistance was particularly notable. The former Vice President had been recuperating from his nervous breakdown treatment in a Mississippi clinic when he had been charged with “Satanism and treason” On July 19. Despite nearly two weeks of torture and manipulation, he was able to resist attempts to interrogate him and implicate others.

Before his interrogator executed him by firing squad, he famously told him “God loves me” as an act of defiance. He died saying the Lord’s Prayer.

While many, like the leaders of TRW, often died begging for their lives, there were some, like Otis Bowen, who went to the noose with dignity.

Even the accused politicians who were able to escape the noose did not have it easy. Many were often branded “POL”, which denoted their status as politicians. Many of them were deported to labor camps, where they often ended up as the lowest caste of prisoners, as the forced laborers there often had even less sympathy toward Republicans then the general public, and fell victim to abuse and murder at the hands of gangs in these labor camps.

My Mark of Cain - Albert Brewer, 2005

For some time, I wondered to myself: why did it happen to me? What had I done to deserve it? Even when they did come for me, I never imagined I deserved this.

I realize now, that I had indeed deserved my Mark of Cain. The CV were right to call me guilty, and work me to death, and subject me to abuse. But not for their reasons.

I was guilty of indifference. I supported Rummy because I wanted his money. I turned my back on the Democrats because I wanted to keep my job. I did not speak up when Rummy ripped apart the Constitution, and for this, I deserved my fate.

Saturday, July 15, 1989

The state of Punjab, which is majority Sikh, declares itself independent of India. The Punjab state has suffered tremendous loss to the demands of the Indo-Pakistan war and from the inability of the Indian state to defend it against Pakistan attacks. The Punjab nationalists seek to breakaway from the crazed policies of the Gandhi government, and negotiate peace with Pakistan.

Sanjay Gandhi firmly denounces the Punjab secession as “pro-Muslim treason,” and sends in the army to put down the rebellion.

Angolan army forces launch a successful invasion of Southwest Africa. Due to shortages and internal rebellion, the South African forces are forced to retreat from a territory they have occupied since the end of the World War 1.

Sam Nujoma, leader of SWAPO, proclaims in independent Namibia in the city of Windhoek.

Monday, July 17, 1989

Free Zairian forces regain control of the city of Lubumbashi from warlords. This proves to be crucial victory in regaining control over the resource rich Katanga Province.

Wednesday, July 19, 1989

Utah Governor Norman Bangerter denounces the trials in Washington as a “savagery against God.”

“I consider myself to be a Christian, but these show trials, these kangaroo courts, are nothing more than a twisted fanaticism that mock his word.”

In Baton Rouge, LA, many Catholics protest the detainment of the Archdiocese by Rarick-Bell aligned Holy Battalions. These protests are suppressed by the Battalions.

Former Governor John Rarick oversees the detention of several Godless “Republican lawmakers.”

Thursday, July 20, 1989

After an election that left an evenly divided Knesset, Labour Party elder statesman Abba Eban manages to cobble-together a centrist coalition government that expels Likud from power. Many Israeli voters were appalled at the closeness of the Likud government with both the Rumsfeld Administration and its CV successor.

Friday, July 21, 1989

In Nazareth, American immigrants protest the internment of Arab Christians native to the city. These protests are suppressed by the Israeli army.

In Canada, SCTV airs a controversial skit in which a caricature of Israeli Prime Minister Milo, played by Joe Flaherty, declares all of Canada as having been “traversed by Moses”, and evicts Prime Minister Lougheed (played by John Candy) from 24 Sussex.

Saturday, July 22, 1989

In California, the Rob Reiner drama film The More Things Change is released to the public by Phoenix Pictures.

Ivan (Yakov Smirnoff) is a Russian man living in Moscow in 1979, who dreams of democracy. After being caught with a contraband copy of The Prince and the Pauper, he is detained and tortured by Soviet secret police. With the help of a friend, he is able to get fake papers needed to leave Russia and move to the US. While on a boat that will take him from Odessa to Turkey, he tosses his Soviet identity card in the garbage.

By 1985, Ivan is living in St. Louis, waiting tables and washing dishes at a fancy restaurant. Despite making little money, he is hopeful for the future, and has gained citizenship. He even meets a pretty hairdresser named Joanna (Sharon Stone).

While on a date with Joanna, Ivan encounters her sociopathic ex-boyfriend Fred, who menacingly warns him to stay away from Joanna. He tries to report Fred to the police, who unbeknownst to him have spotted him there, and Fred is revealed to be a member of the Liberty Legion.

Ivan goes to Joanna’s home to pick her up on a date, only to discover she isn’t there. She goes to her hair salon, who claim she disappeared while going out for lunch. When he comes back to the house, he finds a scared and crying Joanna, who reveals that Fred and his friends brutally gang-raped her, and she claims if she tries to report them, Fred will kill Ivan.

Ivan goes to work, only to find himself arrested by Fred for “Communist subversion.” Fred brutally tortures Fred by burning his face with cigarettes and sticking nails under his fingers. While waiting in jail (he technically is entitled to a lawyer, but due to a long waiting list, he must wait in prison as he cannot afford bail), he tormented by prisoners and guards for being a “Communist,” despite his pleas that he sought to escape communism.

In 1988, he is eventually released from prison in the Denton thaw. However, his experiences have left him with a deep hatred for America. After reuniting with Joanna, they and a group of friends agree to leave for California. The last shot of the film features Ivan angrily throwing his American passport into a river before getting in the car with Joanna.

Historical note: In Californian historiography, The More Things Change is considered to be the first true “Californian film”. Many of the actors and writers had been American exiles who had been living in Europe and Canada and had been influenced by the industry there. The film features what will eventually be called “Californian sensibilities,” like the casual depictions of nudity, swearing, and violence, which existed in cinema before the Rumsfeldian era but had been censored before California left the Union.

Sunday, July 23, 1989

For the first time since April, opposing US Army forces attempt to directly invade the state of Alabama. Army forces from the states of Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia launch a coordinated attack into the state. State forces seemingly crumple under the multi-pronged attack on the Heart of Dixie, as the only resistance is from relatively poorly armed militias.

Tuesday, July 25, 1989

Brazilian Civil War: The Battle of Goiania takes place. Nearly 400,000 Brazilian soldiers face off against an advance by 250,000 Amazonian soldiers on the outskirts of the Central Brazilian city.

Last edited:
I can already imagine how epic George Wallace's show trial will be if even gets one. He would probably spend the entire time ripping everyone a new one. He'll also probably get some neat last words.

Sunday, July 23, 1989

For the first time since April, opposing US Army forces attempt to directly invade the state of Alabama. Army forces from the states of Mississippi, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia launch a coordinated attack into the state. State forces seemingly crumple under the multi-pronged attack on the Heart of Dixie, as the only resistance is from relatively poorly armed militias.
And all Hell broke loose across the nation.

To elaborate on my previous comment, it is likely that with the collapse of the USA and the CV government having with domestic unrest, combined with the godawful military equipment that the US troops were given in the invasion, it is likely that with the aid of clandestine Soviet support (if Ryzhkov grows a pair) and possible establishments of international brigades like the ones that aided the Spanish Republic during the Spanish Civil War (by far-left European parties, Portugal and Italy being especially likely to send in volunteers even if the USSR does not), that the Cubans were able to quickly push out the Americans back across the sea to Florida where many US soldiers straight up rebel against the CV government after seeing their excesses and the news that they'll be sent back in. With the aid of the Cubans they try to liberate Florida from CV rule. Only to get nuked into oblivion with only the southernmost parts of the state remaining under direct Cuban rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.