Keep up the great work bro!

What if America replaces France as Britain's ally/friendly rival and somehow ends up with some french overseas territories like guiana?

I noticed that Augustine's faith is listed as 'Episcopalian' - is the Episcopal Church established as a national church, or is the American monarchy nominally secular in similar fashion as the OTL republic? If the former, is the President the church's ceremonial head, and how would it then fit into the broader Anglican communion? I can't imagine the American king being ostensibly subordinate to the Archbishop of Canterbury and English monarch (in their capacity as head of the Church of England), even if only in spiritual matters, but I'm definitely curious as to how you've imagined religion in monarchical America developing, with or without an established faith.

Much like OTL, there was resistance to the establishment of a Federally established church, primarily from evangelicals and other dissenters. The Washington family is primarily Episcopalian (as opposed to "Anglican"), but are so out of family tradition and preference rather than out of national law. The US is unique in that it is a monarchy with no established church. Traditionally, the American monarch is coronated in Trinity Church in New York City by the Episcopal Bishop of New York, but he traditionally receives blessings from the major denominations. For example, the monarch receives a blessing from the nation's foremost Rabbi, president of the Triennial Baptist Convention, the Catholic Archbishop of New York, etc. It was a way of demonstrating disestablishment while still affirming the importance of religion in American public life.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, how's slavery ITTL?

Butterflies prevent Eli Whitney from moving South, and thus delays the invention of the cotton gin by several decades. Economic factors, as well as the precedent of Washington freeing his slaves upon his death leads to slave states, starting with Virginia, to begin programs of gradual manumission. By the 1850's, slavery is gone for all intents and purposes. Efforts similar to OTL American Colonization Society are slightly more successful, with New Virginia - think Liberia - becomes a semi-independent American protectorate in Africa.

Keep up the great work bro!

What if America replaces France as Britain's ally/friendly rival and somehow ends up with some french overseas territories like guiana?

Britain and America become closer ITTL for several reasons. 1) The Federalists have far more control than they did in OTL, and are successful in cultivating better relations with Britain. 2) Relations between France and the United States sours rather quickly with an even worse Quasi-War, which results in the United States seizing Louisiana. 3) Britain's need for the United States to serve as a check on French influence in the New World forces them to be kinder to their estranged cousins.

Plus, as America's prestige grows, intermarriage between the noble families of both Britain and American become more frequent, with Augustine II's mother being from the British royal family.

Democratic Party
Sorry, guys, for my absence. I will try to keep up with this a little better over the next few months. His something to hold you over.

The Democratic Party formed shortly after the formation of the monarchy, largely out of a coalition of Jeffersonian liberals and evangelicals such as Baptists, Methodists, and Presbyterians. Initially, while not formally a "republican" party, the Democrats were often accused of crypto-republicanism, a charge which probably had some merit at the time. The Democrats drew inspiration from Jeffersonianism, advocating for a strict separation of church and state and decentralization of federal authority. They also opposed what they perceived to be the growing power of Hamiltonian industrialists, emphasizing ruralism and yeoman agriculture. As to the issue of slavery, the party was divided, even among evangelicals. By the 1840's, the party backed Federalist attempts at gradual manumission, which inspired a short-lived pro-slavery splinter party that dissolved within a few years of forming. The party's greatest achievements was the defeat of proposals to establish state church[es], as well as the enshrinement of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution. Today, they are broadly social conservative/rural populist. They are currently in a shaky coalition with their traditional rivals the Federalists.

gsgw_004a.png

Mount Vernon, Sulgrave Place, House of Washington, King of the United States
Mount Vernon is the private residence of the Washington family in the United States since the Seventeenth century. George I inherited the estate from his half-brother Lawrence in 1752, and began work on the current house in 1758. Throughout his life, George always felt drawn back to the plantation. During his reign, he would seek to return to his plantation whenever possible, as the drudgery of daily rule proved taxing even to the dutiful king. Upon his death in 1802, George willed his plantation to his nephew and heir Bushrod I, and his slaves their freedom, a move which lead to manumission efforts throughout the early 19th century. Bushrod proved to be a lackluster manager of the estate, made difficult by the liberation of his uncle's slaves. His son Bushrod II managed to revive the estate, and turned it around into being a profitable venture.

Ironically, it was Bushrod II who moved the Washington family's focus more towards New York City, the nation's capital. He purchased a plot of land in northern Manhattan, and named the residence Sulgrave Place after the historical Washington estate in England. To this day, Sulgrave Place is considered the "official" residence of the Washington family due to its location in New York. Today, the royal family splits its time between the two residences, depending on if Congress is in session.
gsgw_006a.png

The House of Washington is the ruling house of the United States of America. George Washington founded the royal house as a result of the Constitutional Convention of 1787, which was convened in response to the perceived weakness of the Articles of Confederation. While limited by the Constitution, and checked by Congress, the Monarchy of the United States has considerable more power than most European monarchs, including the power of veto, abrogation, and even the dismissal and appointment of Presidents, though this latter power has been used only twice in American history. Royal intervention is considered a measure of last resort, usually during a political crisis.

gsgw_006b.png

I'm a huge sucker for American monarchy threads, so I'm definitely subbing to this. :) It's almost similar to another favorite North American TL of mine: The Course of Human Events.

How many states are there in TTL's version of the United States? Do you mind giving me a full list?

Sorry guys for my terribly late reply. It's been a little crazy lately (when hasn't it). I assure you this TL is not dead.

What is Liberia's relationship to the monarchy?

Liberia was formed as an American protectorate in Africa that soon had its own monarchy, the Duke of Liberia (an upcoming wikibox). The situation is similar to Sarawak: a predominately black country with a white monarch. Liberia is also far more stable ITTL, benefiting from greater investment in the region instead of being left off as an afterthought.

A tiny quibble: in the wikibox for Campbell, it is mentioned that he was Secretary of Labor not under President Eleanor Davis, but under Prime Minister Eleanor Davis, a position which apparently does not exist in this alternate America.

I'll be sure to fix it. Thanks!

I'm a huge sucker for American monarchy threads, so I'm definitely subbing to this. :) It's almost similar to another favorite North American TL of mine: The Course of Human Events.

How many states are there in TTL's version of the United States? Do you mind giving me a full list?

Man, that's an old TL. I've been on this site too long. :p

I'm working on a state list at the moment. I've yet to decide some internal boundaries, so watch this space.

Sorry guys for my terribly late reply. It's been a little crazy lately (when hasn't it). I assure you this TL is not dead.

Liberia was formed as an American protectorate in Africa that soon had its own monarchy, the Duke of Liberia (an upcoming wikibox). The situation is similar to Sarawak: a predominately black country with a white monarch. Liberia is also far more stable ITTL, benefiting from greater investment in the region instead of being left off as an afterthought.

I'll be sure to fix it. Thanks!

Man, that's an old TL. I've been on this site too long. :p

I'm working on a state list at the moment. I've yet to decide some internal boundaries, so watch this space.

Awesome! I can't wait!

Out of curiosity, was Hamilton more popular ITTL? He was rather pro-British and pro-monarchist IIRC

Oh, definitely. Hamiltonianism becomes more of the standard, since anti-monarchist sentiments either acquiesced to the Washingtonian monarchy, or fled the country. ITTL, Jefferson has fled to France, being far more sympathetic to revolutionary sentiments there.

Is monarchism and conservatism more commonplace ITTL? Or is America the exception, by and large? Does more of Latin America remain monarchist or is the New World more republican and/or liberal?