TL: Alan Keyes' End of History

Bob Dole's campaign for president after The National Enquirer wrote that Stone had placed ads and pictures in racy swingers' publications and a website seeking sexual partners for himself and his second wife, Nydia Bertran Stone, whom he married in Las Vegas in 1992. Stone initially denied the report.[29][30] On the Good Morning Americaprogram he stated, "An exhaustive investigation now indicates that a domestic employee who I discharged for substance abuse on the second time that we learned that he had a drug problem is the perpetrator who had access to my home, access to my computer, access to my password, access to my postage meter, access to my post-office box key."[29] In a 2008 interview with The New YorkerStone admitted that the ads were authentic.[
Oh, OH.Should of known considering what type of Creep he is.

Perot wins the popular vote, but Keyes wins the electoral college.

Also gotta say I dig anti-imperialist Perot. He had that instinct OTL but it wasn’t in focus like it is here.

Also anyone else suspect the Democratic Party might be facing extinction?

Since the recent news about Atwater, Stone's influence in the Keyes administration has risen, although he is not the manager of the 1996 campaign (that being Bill Kristol).

As David Letterman jokes, this just shows how conservative the Dole campaign is, they're firing a guy for having sex with his wife (and other people)...

You gave us VP nominee Hunter S Thompson, and outed Weinstien the rapist. Well done!

If there is a where are they update...
-Frank Cousins
-James Garner
-JC Watts
-Ken Hamlin
-Alveda King
-Colin Powell
-Doug Wilder
-George Allen

"Bush dies in the early 90s" is the darkest POD in all fiction because we never get this:

simpsons-nostalgia-140897932262.jpg

Personally, I find the choice of Hunter Thompson to be a bit out there, for several reasons:

1. Perot was a drug hawk, and would most likely reject Thompson for his hedonism.

2. I doubt Perot's ego would let him choose someone more famous then him.

But then again, this is a TL where Keyes is President so...

I think Nunn won't just lose the South, but he might even lose his home-state. He is too liberal for the average White Georgian, and too conservative for the average black Georgian, and Perot might act as a spoiler.

Perot and Thompson might sweep Alaska, Maine, and some Western states as well. He might even push some red states into Nunn's column, and some blue states into Keyes column. And Perot's party actually makes huge gains in the areas of political moderates.

The election could also be one where the Democrats lose Massachusetts, but one where the Republicans lose Texas.

Personally, I find the choice of Hunter Thompson to be a bit out there, for several reasons:

1. Perot was a drug hawk, and would most likely reject Thompson for his hedonism.

2. I doubt Perot's ego would let him choose someone more famous then him.

But then again, this is a TL where Keyes is President so...

I think Nunn won't just lose the South, but he might even lose his home-state. He is too liberal for the average White Georgian, and too conservative for the average black Georgian, and Perot might act as a spoiler.

Perot and Thompson might sweep Alaska, Maine, and some Western states as well. He might even push some red states into Nunn's column, and some blue states into Keyes column. And Perot's party actually makes huge gains in the areas of political moderates.

The election could also be one where the Democrats lose Massachusetts, but one where the Republicans lose Texas.
In HST's book about the 1992 campaign Better Than Sex: Confessions of a Political Junkie, he signs up as a Perot support and tries to convince Perot to pick his as his running mate right before he dropping out. Given that Perot considered several left-wing figures as his running mate, it's not a far-fetched as one would think.

Update 10
“With these latest results, we are now able to call that Alan Keyes will be reelected as president of the United States for another four years.”
-CNN, 11/7/96

aJDi5PX.png

“A Texan doesn’t quit. 21 is definitely better than 4.”
-Ross Perot on hearing the 1996 election result

“Well, that’s not gone well, has it?”
-Congressman Larry David

“It looks like the Democrats are in a catch-22. If they can’t go to the left, they lose. If they go to the right, they lose. No matter what they do, Ross Perot will think he’s the rightful president and Alan Keyes will stay as the boss of us.”
-Arsenio Hall

“I like to think that I would have won had I got the nomination.
-Senator Dave McCurdy

“Freedom is not an unlimited license, an unlimited choice, or an unlimited opportunity. Freedom is first of all a responsibility before the God from whom we come.”
-President Alan Keyes, 1/20/97

“Protests continue in Iran over the leadership of the conservative theocracy led by the Ayatollah Khamenei. Protesters have yelled ‘death to the dictator’, with some comparing it to the situation in 1979.”
-PBS Newshour

“The Iranian people will reject this neoimperialist movement that was likely financed with the money of Alan Keyes and his cronies.”
-Congressman Dennis Kucinich

“BIPARTISAN VICTORY FOR FEDERAL MARRIAGE AMENDMENT”
-Fox News, 5/4/97

“Democrats who supported the FMA are nothing more than partners for Alan Keyes and the Republican agenda.”
-Senator Claiborne Pell, 5/4/97

“Large ‘moral majority’ political organizations helped to support the FMA’s passing, with Democratic Senators being offered covert support. Public opinion in the states was also bad for support for same-sex marriage, with around a third giving their support depending on the poll. Senate Minority Leader Biden also called for a free vote on the issue, knowing that there would be major issues if that was not the case.”
-How Alan Keyes Destroyed America, 2018 online documentary

“EMANUELI & PLURAL LEFT WIN”
-Le Monde, 6/1/97

“We were starting to feel that Heseltine could close in on us in the next general election. Tony and I began working on a SLD-Lab common program, and the rest is history.”
-NATO Secretary-General and former SLD leader Paddy Ashdown in New Labor - New Danger

“1997 will be the last election Britain has before the new millennium and it will be a point where we can decide to look to our past or to a new United Kingdom.”
-Tony Blair announcing the Progressive Alliance

“Tony Blair is going to go down as Britain’s most important peacetime leader - mark my words.”
-Lord Jenkins

“The Liberals have proved that they are sell-outs to the Labour Party in their European agenda.”

“Dr. Owen, how is this different from your support for Prime Minister Major between 1992-1993?”

“Who said that?”
-Press conference from David Owen

“Blair and Ashdown have this bizarre relationship where they view each other as the ‘great men’ who would tear Britain’s great historical identity away from it and have it be a wishy-washy EU puppet.”
-Peter Hitchens

“I think that after looking at this historic result, you can’t help but think the Tories will be out of power for the next 20 years.”
-Gerald Kaufman

“Our society is about fighting for our belief in democracy.”
-Governor-elect Jim Webb (R-VA), 11/4/97

“SECOND FAILED COUP IN VENEZUELA: 1992 PLOTTER CHAVEZ KILLED”
-The New York Times

“Hugo must have had a death wish. Not only did he kill himself, but he killed any hope of the left in Venezuela of defeating the establishment.”
-Former Venezuelan presidential candidate Francisco Arias Cárdenas

Last edited:
Ah, fuck. Alan Keyes for yet another 4 years. Here's hoping to Perot in 2000, I guess. No way the Democrats will actually succeed or chose a fun candidate (other than McGovern of course) given their track record in this TL.

Several observations:
-Keyes could get up to some stuff in Iran... which is concerning.
-FMA passing... hmm... any other social amendments proposed here?
-I see the SDP is still kicking around. How many MPs do they have at this point?
-I see Chavez failed again - does the the COPEI-AD duopoly continue here. This could make the 1998 presidential election interesting as before Chavez entered the frontrunner was the Mayor of Chacao Irene Saez... who was also Miss Universe 1981... that could lead to some butterflies...

Ah, fuck. Alan Keyes for yet another 4 years. Here's hoping to Perot in 2000, I guess. No way the Democrats will actually succeed or chose a fun candidate (other than McGovern of course) given their track record in this TL.

Well, considering that there is ITTL a documentary saying how Keyes "ruined America", it is likely he and the New Right might be facing a serious backlash, or at least his legacy will be tarnished by one serious scandal.

A liberal democrat could easily profit from that backlash.

“BIPARTISAN VICTORY FOR FEDERAL MARRIAGE AMENDMENT”
-Fox News, 5/4/97

“Democrats who supported the FMA are nothing more than partners for Alan Keyes and the Republican agenda.”
-Senator Claiborne Pell, 5/4/97

“Large ‘moral majority’ political organizations helped to support the FMA’s passing, with Democratic Senators being offered covert support. Public opinion in the states was also bad for support for same-sex marriage, with around a third giving their support depending on the poll. Senate Minority Leader Biden also called for a free vote on the issue, knowing that there would be major issues if that was not the case.”
-How Alan Keyes Destroyed America, 2018 online documentary

Federal Marriage Amendment? Goddamn that is a blow to civil right. Of course, considering that conservative Republicans have enjoyed five victories in national elections, it isn't that surprising.

How did the United Party do in down ballot races?

Well, considering that there is ITTL a documentary saying how Keyes "ruined America",
Well i don’t think that singalongs anything, it sounds like a Leftwing equivalent to a Dinesen D’Souza movie, probably even a sequel to Moores 1995 movie with Atwater. Knowing Michael Moore it’s likely to be filled with factual half truths and inaccuracies which the Right can use to dismiss the whole movie.

-Congressman Larry David
My good sir, I salute you.

-NATO Secretary-General and former SLD leader Paddy Ashdown in New Labor - New Danger
F.T.F.Y.

-Tony Blair announcing the Progressive Alliance
So is the Progressive Alliance just a formalized electoral pact between Labour and the SDP, or is it a novel political party that incorporates the platforms and hierarchies of its two predecessors?

“EMANUELI & PLURAL LEFT WIN”
-Le Monde, 6/1/97
Does Emanueli win the Presidency or is he the new Prime Minister?

“Our society is about fighting for our belief in democracy.”
-Governor-elect Jim Webb (R-VA), 11/4/97
Careful about listening too much to @Gonzo —that's how a man ends up facedown in some godforsaken corner of Belfast at 2 a.m. on a Wednesday with no pants and a lampshade over his head!

I still am thoroughly enjoying this TL. If Gonzo gets swamped with the wikibox making, PM me and I'll be glad to make one for you!