Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have no idea how happy almost all of these AH map ideas make me. I think I might come up with an AH map idea myself..

@rexnerdorum I love this. I love this so much. I'd love to make a similar "trillion worlds" type series, or even "franchise" this. Plus your worldbuilding is amazing! Each one feels fleshed out.

@rexnerdorum those are some of the most interesting maps I’ve ever seen! Big ups

Man, that is something I can get behind.

I'm in full agreement with him. It's cool seeing map after map relating to my church.

Thank you all for your kind words! I'd love to see more map series like this (using the name "Trillion Worlds Project" or not). I am somewhat knowledgeable about the LDS Church, seeing as that I'm a Mormon. I still learned a lot about LDS Church history in researching these maps (Fun Fact I Learned: Sam Houston loved Mormons and would have helped the LDS Church relocate to Texas, but Joseph Smith was assassinated before it could get off the ground. Houston was later instrumental in negotiating the end of the Utah War.). I would definitely love to see these done for things I am less knowledgeable about!

"The Sanders Regime?" Bernie as an American Stalin?

A touch OTL politics, no? :hushedface:

Sorry. I know you don't like OTL politics in the map thread (neither do I!). I named this guy "George Bernard Sanders" to make him legally distinguishable from OTL Bernie Sanders. Also, I thought naming him after George Bernard Shaw (an OTL troubled character) was funny. In any case, point taken.

Want to know another "eigentrope"? That god damn Rio Grande border for Texas.

Agreed. Here, I was lucky that the Texas border was decided before the PODs of these maps. Usually.

Zioneer

Banned
Man, that is something I can get behind.

I'm in full agreement with him. It's cool seeing map after map relating to my church.

Thank you all for your kind words! I'd love to see more map series like this (using the name "Trillion Worlds Project" or not). I am somewhat knowledgeable about the LDS Church, seeing as that I'm a Mormon. I still learned a lot about LDS Church history in researching these maps (Fun Fact I Learned: Sam Houston loved Mormons and would have helped the LDS Church relocate to Texas, but Joseph Smith was assassinated before it could get off the ground. Houston was later instrumental in negotiating the end of the Utah War.). I would definitely love to see these done for things I am less knowledgeable about!

My dudes, I'm Mormon too!

And I was thinking of doing a map where Mormons settle in Baja California and Sonora, but I'm not sure how to make a good map...

...but I'm not sure how to make a good map...

My best advice on how to make a good map is to make a dozen awful maps. Even my "good maps" are pretty bad compared to most everything else here. I found a dozen small errors when I reread all my maps after I posted them.

I almost think there should be a thread of just "Places the Mormons Might Have Settled, But Didn't". This could help other AltHistorians be a bit more creative in their own maps.

with the Charismatic Alonzo G. Draper, one of the leaders of the New Englander Shoemaker's strike, taking the forefront.

leaving the newly declared "Worker's Republic of America", a union between the Mexicans and Americans to be at peace.

The new nation seems quite totalitarian to me - is that right? Is Draper a dictator, or even a quasi-genocidal mass murderer like Stalin? Are there any reactionaries left?

@rexnerdorum , I also love your "Mormon Series". Especially the "Mormons in China" one!

Map of "It Started Here", Directly before the Great War, or the People's War, depending on which side you were on. Taking place in 1912.

You should probably make the USA bright red if it's full scale communist, as now it can be confused with some of the British Dominions.

Also, which are the sides of the People's War, and who calls it such?

My best advice on how to make a good map is to make a dozen awful maps. Even my "good maps" are pretty bad compared to most everything else here. I found a dozen small errors when I reread all my maps after I posted them.

I almost think there should be a thread of just "Places the Mormons Might Have Settled, But Didn't". This could help other AltHistorians be a bit more creative in their own maps.
One map that I was kind of surprised not to see was "Mormons in New York (or thereabouts)". How would Mormonism developed/affected the world if Mormons hadn't moved west?

Zioneer

Banned
So this is a reaaaaally crude map of an idea I've long had of "Mormons in Tijuana". I just took a public domain map of Mexico, and colored it in because I'm not sure how to do more. I have a brief write-up, but I'm lazily keeping most OTL events because for the moment, I don't know Mexican history that well.

kenxSxt.gif

The basic premise is that the Mormons settle in Baja California after some issue prevents them from settling in Utah, and a greater anti-American feeling among the Mormons (possibly the deaths of more LDS leaders at the hands of mobs), causes them to move southward, deeper into pre-1848 Mexico. They finally settle in what is then an empty spot of land, which apostle Orson Hyde names "Zarahemla", after a major city in the Book of Mormon. Throughout the years, Mormons participate in Mexican culture and politics, meddling in the various conflicts. They take part in the last ousting of perennial president Santa Anna, who promised the Catholic leadership that he would expel these troublesome Yankee Mormons, and later support Benito Juarez . As the years go on, they turn further and further away from Americanism, and as intermarriages with Mexicans increase, Mormon theology develops a peculiar Native Mexican nationalist tinge, with one apostle saying that the "first peoples of these lands will inherit this Promised Land, this Zion". Mormons also participate in a somewhat different Mexican Revolution (known as the "First Mexican Revolution"), allying with the more leftist warlords, with several Mormon apostles serving as commanders in this conflict.

As of ITTL 2018, Mormons are still a minority in Mexico, but comprise a majority in four states, noted in light green: Baja (OTL Baja California and Baja California Sur merged into one), Sonora, Sinola, and Chihuahua. In all other Mexican states, Mormons comprise about 5-30% of the population, with most Mormons living in northern Mexico. Mormons generally vote for economically leftist parties, and while there has not been a Mormon president of Mexico yet, the Mormons of Mexico have high hopes in Helaman Carranza, young and popular Governor of Sinola, and descendant of an early Mexican Mormon apostle, Venustiano Carranza.

Last edited:
It Started Here.png

Finalized map of "It Started Here", shown in the year 1912, before the war between the Two Oceans Entente, and the Two King's League Versus the Warsaw Accord and Worker's International.

Much of the background between my last explanation and the current year is given in the notes.

The new nation seems quite totalitarian to me - is that right? Is Draper a dictator, or even a quasi-genocidal mass murderer like Stalin? Are there any reactionaries left?

The WRA is pretty totalitarian, however it's not a dictatorship. Draper was a real person, and Draper, while Charismatic had dictatorial traits. The WRA is a pseudo-democratic Nation, the election system functioning similarly to modern Russia in OTL.

You should probably make the USA bright red if it's full scale communist, as now it can be confused with some of the British Dominions.

Also, which are the sides of the People's War, and who calls it such?

I prefer the Dark red, and those British Dominion's won't be much trouble in the next map.

The Worker's International calls it the People's War, along with a few communist states that popped up during and directly after the war.

upload_2018-5-18_18-13-36.png

A map of the Treaty of Paris that ended the American Revolutionary War. This time the British are a bit less generous. The series of green dashes is the unrecognized Republic of Vermont. The border up in the northwest is rather fuzzy due to the inaccuracies of the maps used at the treaty.

Last edited:
So this is a reaaaaally crude map of an idea I've long had of "Mormons in Tijuana". I just took a public domain map of Mexico, and colored it in because I'm not sure how to do more. I have a brief write-up, but I'm lazily keeping most OTL events because for the moment, I don't know Mexican history that well.
Talk about Supersized Colonia Juárez! How international is the church ITTL? and are there any significant number of American members?

And where would one locate TTL's Zarahemla on the map?

Zioneer

Banned
Talk about Supersized Colonia Juárez! How international is the church ITTL? and are there any significant number of American members?

And where would one locate TTL's Zarahemla on the map?
The ITTL Church has a greater presence in Oceania, Asia (mostly China, Korea, and the Philippines, all but China being OTL), and Central and South America, and a smaller presence in Europe, and the United States. Roughly about 12-18 million, depending on how one counts the membership.

And TTL's Zarahemla basically just replaces OTL Tijuana, right on the Mexico-California border.

Status
Not open for further replies.