Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sort of a sequel/reboot of a map I did a while back.

The Western "Roman" Empire at the height of the Saxon Era. Warring States period that followed the collapse at the end of the Frankish Era is a distant memory, especially now that the King in Carthage has finally accepted defeat and become a vassal state of the Empire. The Emperor in Aachen now dreams of taking Jerusalem from the Fire worshiping heathens in the east.
saxon empire.png

Mad Max alternate history:
upload_2018-4-28_9-27-59.png

In red is the chaos where no one really rules. In brown is the reformed Immortan Joe's empire, now the Senate. In green is Tasmania's empire. Tasmania survived the cataclysm and isolated itself, taking a defensive position until it retook Victoria. In olive is New Australia, the Australian capital territory also isolated itself until recently when it retook New South Wales. The Senate is currently looking to expand as it ran out of oil again so it needs more oil from outward sources. Tasmania mainly uses Hydroelectric and New Australia has made progress with solar.

Just a random little map, doing a bit of mucking around with alternate state names (some of which I freely acknowledge are pinched - thanks, Highlander, wherever you be!) and this little scenario by Hendrik Willem Van Loon, in which the Dutch get back New Amsterdam and it remains free of British control until it voluntarily joins the US in 1841. The story comes to an end come prohibition, when it turns out, due to some legal privileges New Amsterdam gained as part of price for accepting annexation, Prohibition is impossible to enforce there.

(I couldn't remember if the Dutch held any more than Manhattan itself, but I considered it unlikely that they would have been able to hold onto it during the US revolution if that were all of it, so I let them keep most of the Dutch New Netherlands core areas.)
They will likely need to be referred to as something different than NH on maps and for postal codes. Your map shows the issues, given New Hampshire also being present. I really can't see an independent country joining the US, only to change its name to something more similar to the semi-incorrect belief of what the Netherlands was called. I also doubt East Florida would keep that name if it is the only Florida around. I am guessing these details were from in the source material you used?

They will likely need to be referred to as something different than NH on maps and for postal codes. Your map shows the issues, given New Hampshire also being present. I really can't see an independent country joining the US, only to change its name to something more similar to the semi-incorrect belief of what the Netherlands was called. I also doubt East Florida would keep that name if it is the only Florida around. I am guessing these details were from in the source material you used?

'Pon consideration, I've changed it.

(Magnolia used to be west Florida, but changed their name when they went from territory to state. East Florida just kept its former moniker because they didn't want to have to change all the stationery).

Ahhh, getting me nostalgic for the Blackwall game.

I can only imagine the fun that happens in foreign relations based on race, due to the main zeuropewn ethnicity of the Brazilian Federation. I am wondering what Dixiecrat sort of people would feel to it. Or how things are working in South Africa here. Why are Lithuanians seen as grumpy in this world? Unless they want Belarus, they basically have all land they could reasonably claim.

Last edited:
Subject: Draft proposal for the electoral college after the admission of the British States

To: Governor of the State of Maryland

Dear Governor,

The President has requested the my Office explore how the admission of the United Kingdom to the United States of America would affect the United States Congress and therefore the Electoral College. I write to you in this email regarding the effect on the Electoral College.

The admission of the United Kingdom would add around 64 million people (provided the British census is accurate after the recent British Civil War) to the United States and would significantly change our electoral landscape. This is a first proposal of how the United Kingdom would be represented in the Electoral College.

In this proposal the United Kingdom has been divided into 7 states: London, Northern Ireland, Northumbria, Mercia, Scotland, Wessex and Wales. This is the list put forward in the secret discussions between our government and the government of the UK. Although the UK is divided into 4 parts currently, it was decided England would be too big to be admitted as one as it has a larger population than California. It was decided to divide England into large regions. This proposal would add 12 senators to the United States Senate.

With the increase in the population and the increase in representation in the Senate the electoral vote would increase to 551 votes. In our calculations this would mean the Electoral College vote for Maryland would decrease from 10 to 9 votes. The votes for other states is reflected in the map below.

I will send the background to why the United Kingdom is looking to join the United States soon. I remind you that this is all classified as these discussions are still officially secret despite the leaks to the media.

Yours sincerely

Amanda Rodriguez

Clerk of the House of Representatives

US & UK.png

Last edited:
Subject: Draft proposal for the electoral college after the admission of the British States

With an influx of that large of a population, I think it would be more likely that the House of Representatives would increase in total number, proportional to the UK's population. Selling a plan to the US with such a sharp drop in Representatives per state would be nearly impossible.

Cool concept though.

You mixed up Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Otherwise, cool map.

Prime Minister: "Ok, we'll join the US, but only if you swap the names of Wisconsin and Minnesota."

President: "Done."

Prime Minister: "And Northumbria becomes part of the Midwest."

President: "No problem. It seems that the definition of 'Midwest' is rather fluid anyway."

With an influx of that large of a population, I think it would be more likely that the House of Representatives would increase in total number, proportional to the UK's population. Selling a plan to the US with such a sharp drop in Representatives per state would be nearly impossible.

Cool concept though.
Food for thought: with the current cap of 435, he maximum number of states the US could have would be 145.

The Bulgars conquered most of the Balkans when the Persians conquered Constantinople. Not long after that, the Second Eastern Roman Empire a.k.a the Bulgarians "recaptured" Constantinople.

Bet they have legitimacy quarrels with the western Empire.

What's the year of that map, BTW?

Bet they have legitimacy quarrels with the western Empire.
Yeah, the Kaiser and the Tsar aren't exactly on the best of terms with each other, especially since the Tsar has a toehold in southern Italy. They mostly recognize the other's title, but it's mostly religious brotherhood and dealing with the Zoroastrian Russian Satraps that keeps them from coming to blows.
What's the year of that map, BTW?
1125 ad

I know I'm not making maps anymore, but I had some free time on my hands, so I made this. If the image is too big for you, you can also check it out here.

A world with a free Portuguese-Dutch Amazonia. It's... not a great time. All the story you can find in the image. Enjoy!

motf_175__amazonia__a_modern_day_tragedy_by_upvoteanthology-dca40pa.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.