Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, here's North America a couple decades following the events of that map. I did have a writeup and everything, but for some reason I don't feel like posting it (probably because I didn't read it over again a few times to make sure there weren't any errors and I'm not really in the mood for that, either), so just ask if you have any questions.

View attachment 381102

This is great work. I hope to see your take on The Oneshot American Civil War. :)

Warning, Axis victory:

Russian remains:
upload_2018-4-11_10-38-58.png

In olive is The soviet union, in Red is Nazi Germany and in green is the Japanese empire.

African Theater:
upload_2018-4-11_10-39-55.png

After Hitler betrays Italy (Green) and finishes conquering Europe, Italy flees to its empire in Africa and expands. Britain (Red) becomes Fachist after it declares peace with Germany and expands its empire declaring an imperial federation. The states in the middle (Olive) form an allience to not get invaded by Britain or Italy.

That's pretty much the idea I had.
I do have to wonder about the part of Nebraska in the southeast that vanished beneath the water in your second map. And why Maine is still underwater. The water from it would be enough to smash everyone nearby (as well as potentially mess with the local shellfish population with all the less-salty water frontman he flooded World being into the local environment), but I do not believe it would stick around. Still, you destroyed Eastern Canada, which is what really matters. I am unsure that Lake Ontario would end up in that way though. A bit higher above sea level than the St Lawrence. Still, mass flooding sat time can be like trying to make a map of Greenland or Antarctica without ehglaciers in them. You never know just how far the exposed land will rise without all of the weight pressing down on it, and if there will be pockets of lakes kept around.

Nebraska somehow being a state again after having been flooded almost entirely with brackish water seems a little unlikely :p
They needed another Union state.

Last edited:
A. don't know what the Soviet union looked like back then
Srsly? :p
And I think, that loss of Abyssinia is ok. It can get invaded/rebel before they conquer Egypt and Sudan (or after they were invaded by Germany)... After all, to control all of North Africa would be hardcore, if not impossible, even without constant contra-guerilla fighting in mountainous Ethiopia... Maybe I would just "correct" border between Ethiopia and Eritrea (something like this: https://sites.google.com/a/centerfo...ns-of-wwii/abyssinian-crisis/hoare-laval-pact)
And one more note: if Italy get Abyssinia, I think she should get Somalia too (even if I am not sure about relations between Somalis and Italians during thirties and world war...)

But "exiled Italy" in Africa is interesting idea, however improbable. Maybe culture based more on Ptolemaic/pharaoh Egypt than roman empire? Attempt to incorporate Arabs (Berbers, Tuaregs...)? Maybe islamization of Italians? (caliph Mussolini? :biggrin:)

And I think, that loss of Abyssinia is ok. It can get invaded/rebel before they conquer Egypt and Sudan (or after they were invaded by Germany)... After all, to control all of North Africa would be hardcore, if not impossible, even without constant contra-guerilla fighting in mountainous Ethiopia... Maybe I would just "correct" border between Ethiopia and Eritrea (something like this: https://sites.google.com/a/centerfo...ns-of-wwii/abyssinian-crisis/hoare-laval-pact)
And one more note: if Italy get Abyssinia, I think she should get Somalia too (even if I am not sure about relations between Somalis and Italians during thirties and world war...)

But "exiled Italy" in Africa is interesting idea, however improbable. Maybe culture based more on Ptolemaic/pharaoh Egypt than roman empire? Attempt to incorporate Arabs (Berbers, Tuaregs...)? Maybe islamization of Italians? (caliph Mussolini? :biggrin:)
the Italians already had most of Somali before WWII, so if they kept Ethiopia they would presumably keep that part as well. Things really come down to timing. Hitler liked Mussolini and he thought most Italians were Germanic. If there is an invasion for Italy (which immediately puts every other ally of the Germans on guard) then will Italians be prevented from leaving or be pushed out? Outside of Jews and politicoins, I don't think people will be sent to concentration camps by the Germans, though they might push out the populations of Sicily and Naples (except maybe in the city itself), sending everyone to Africa.

Well, as I stated, Hitler betrayed Italy after the war ended (except for the war with Russia) and Italy was pushed back by the German empire until they were out of europe, they also betrayed their other continental Allies, establishing controll over europe and if you think that those two maps were crazy, just wait for America tommorow.

Warning, Axis victory:

Russian remains:
View attachment 381280
In olive is The soviet union, in Red is Nazi Germany and in green is the Japanese empire.

African Theater:
View attachment 381281
After Hitler betrays Italy (Green) and finishes conquering Europe, Italy flees to its empire in Africa and expands. Britain (Red) becomes Fachist after it declares peace with Germany and expands its empire declaring an imperial federation. The states in the middle (Olive) form an allience to not get invaded by Britain or Italy.
I assume these are two of your first maps? And that you're pretty new to the Alternate History scene as a whole?

Don't worry, you'll improve over time. Lord knows that if I could improve, you can, too.

I assume these are two of your first maps? And that you're pretty new to the Alternate History scene as a whole?

Don't worry, you'll improve over time. Lord knows that if I could improve, you can, too.

Well, I am obsessed with maps but I have only been on the site a few months and the scene for about a year or so, plus couldn't find the soviet union at that time and I'm trying to stand out from an already over used trope. Do you see anything wrong wqith it in perticular?

Well, I am obsessed with maps but I have only been on the site a few months and the scene for about a year or so, plus couldn't find the soviet union at that time and I'm trying to stand out from an already over used trope. Do you see anything wrong wqith it in perticular?
Ah, yes, the eternal struggle to find a good base, I remember those days. Here's a base map of the USSR from after the war, but it should still be more suitable https://wh1k8zidop.inscname.net/games/images/811175_edited+soviet.jpg

As for flaws in the map, the biggest one I see instantaneously is in Africa, where most of the olive land would not have been independent at the time, under control of various colonial power, part of which was under Italian (Italian Somaliland) and another under British (South Sudan, British Somaliland, Nigeria), the rest being (Vichy) French. With Russia, I personally believe it's up to the creator's interpretation to how much of the USSR Germany and Japan could actually take and control.

As for the aesthetics, I wouldn't say they're half bad, I would even say kind of good, much better then what I started out with.

Ah, yes, the eternal struggle to find a good base, I remember those days. Here's a base map of the USSR from after the war, but it should still be more suitable https://wh1k8zidop.inscname.net/games/images/811175_edited+soviet.jpg

As for flaws in the map, the biggest one I see instantaneously is in Africa, where most of the olive land would not have been independent at the time, under control of various colonial power, part of which was under Italian (Italian Somaliland) and another under British (South Sudan, British Somaliland, Nigeria), the rest being (Vichy) French. With Russia, I personally believe it's up to the creator's interpretation to how much of the USSR Germany and Japan could actually take and control.

As for the aesthetics, I wouldn't say they're half bad, I would even say kind of good, much better then what I started out with.

Can't really use that base but for your other concern: the Olive land rebelled after France went all Nazi and Germany's eventuall anexattion of it. The British and Itallian land did the same especially after Britain became Fachist and Italy began expanding its african territory more. For Russia, i assumed that it would be reasonable that Japan could take a bit of the side and the bottom, especially while being Asia and Germany stole a lot of russia's land, witht the Russians establishing a firm border a bit after Moscow. Yes, I did dwo this in one go, except when mapchart.net decided to restart.

New version of MVEMJ basemap and Venus basemap
Oh man, this is absolutely magnificent. Is there a version with an unterraformed Mars and a partially/fully terraformed venus? And can I use this in my Khan Victorious? Its absolutely perfect for the map I've been wanting to do of 2090! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.