Map Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why New Amsterdam? Why not New Netherlands? Otherwise great work! (Is New Ireland different from OTL Maine?)
New York was Renamed after the revolution to New Amsterdam on request of the Dutch. Rather than New Netherlands because the Dutch specified New Netherlands for the State and New Amsterdam for New York. The Columbian government kept the name New York but used New Amsterdam as the state name. And New Ireland is simply just a reminder to the large Gaelic Populations in not only Maine but also the entirety of New England as it was a hotspot for Irish immigration. New Ireland in all truth was just a conveineitnly named colony.

brandenburg's usa.png

COMPLETE MAP OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA

The United States of America is a nation formed from the former colonies of British North America. Most specifically, the Thirteen Colonies and the Province of Quebec. The colonies rebelled due to the high taxations following the World War and the Franco-British War / Theater of the war. The American Revolution, starting in late 1765, saw many stages of combat and alliances. Through-out much of the war, the Revolutionaries became allies with the Spanish, the Quebecois, and the Natives. The latter of these is of utmost importance in terms of American culture. Due to the lack of manpower during the early revolution (the French were sought after, but weren't particularly willing to send more troops following the bloody Franco-British War mentioned earlier), the colonists seeked help from the natives. They found allegiance with the Haudenosaunee Six Nations, who agreed to ally themselves with the colonists if they were protected by the future colonist state. The two peoples agreed in the Treaty of Onondaga, a treaty often cited as the beginning of the Native influence on the American culture. Due to the alliance, the two peoples became more and more united. Many colonists began bonding with the Native people, and intermarriage was beginning to occur by the end of the American Revolution in 1769. This positive influence encouraged the newly-founded American nation to instate more protected states, often called Indian States.

So what happens when they start competing for land? You've put the Shawnee on some of the best agricultural land in the Midwest, and the Cherokee on the South's largest gold deposits.
Indian states are, for all intents and purposes, identical to normal states. People moved to the Cherokee for gold, and to the Shawnee for farming.

View attachment 372063
COMPLETE MAP OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
This is a personal nitpick/opinion of mine, but Quebec really should be called Canada in cases where the province joins the ARW. Local identity was very much "Canadian" at this point among the French-speaking populace, while Quebec was effectively an exonym made up by the British centered on the city. Québécois identity is very much a 20th century thing.

Why 1931?

- 1910, btw.

That's the date of the map of the pre-65 English districts you'll generally find online.

I didn't have chance to look properly, but as a few examples Basildon and Billericay UDCs were only created from Billericay RDC in 1934 (there's a surprisingly large number of mistakes in that map as well once you start looking) wit the remainder going to Chelmsford, several small RDCs were also merged in Essex that year, and Southend was expanded as well.

That's the date of the map of the pre-65 English districts you'll generally find online.

I didn't have chance to look properly, but as a few examples Basildon and Billericay UDCs were only created from Billericay RDC in 1934 (there's a surprisingly large number of mistakes in that map as well once you start looking) wit the remainder going to Chelmsford, several small RDCs were also merged in Essex that year, and Southend was expanded as well.
but 1934 is after 1931.

Additionally, I've checked the county borders wit the ones from 1889 and i can't find that much of change.

but 1934 is after 1931.

Additionally, I've checked the county borders wit the ones from 1889 and i can't find that much of change.

I know 1934 is after 1931. The map there is labelled as 1931 but actually has a lot of post-1934 borders.

And it's not the county borders, its the borders within the counties.

It's literally a 'look up lots of local old maps, cross-reference with parish lists and draw the boundaries from that'

There's a reason why I offered to help with Britain.
Of course you can help with britain. I would like to make the map itself on my own, however, as I like making such kinds of maps, so would it be ok if you helped me with finding maps for the counties? :)

Of course you can help with britain. I would like to make the map itself on my own, however, as I like making such dmaps, so would it be ok if you helped me with finding maps for the counties? :)

Well, you could try Oldmaps.co.uk, then cross-reference with the various lists on Wikipedia, then you've got to find the old boundaries on the former.

I mean given the scale you should be fine doing it very roughly, but still.

Status
Not open for further replies.