Five shots a minute if, and only if, everything works. It's not been mentioned but about a minute is as long as they've ever been able to sustain it.

That makes sense, they have to have everything ready for the burst. Regardless, a time on target barrage of 42 cm guns will make the whole city shake

Now, depends in IF the Americans were stupid enough to send physical messages to who likely will pass into Argentinian history as "The New Year Fools's Fireworks Putsch"

Because if so, once the Argentinian Government finds it, the reaction is going to be borderline explosive.

The expulsion of All American Diplomatics, In addition to the freezing of all American assets in the country, pending reparations to ALL the deceased Loyalist Soldiers and Civilians wounded and killed in addition to the costs of the conflict in destruction of property.

And the MOST amusing? Argentina its likely to openly declare a formal Treaty of Alliance in all levels with Germany.... Business, Industrial, Commerce and Military Collaboration.... and as a final fuck you to Uncle Sam..... Grant Basing Rights to the Kaiserliche Marine and German Vessels in the city of Rio Gallegos in the southern Patagonia.

Considering the blatant intromisión of the North American Government in the Argentinian Republic, the only way for the Argentinians to ensure that they acquire the capability to keep the Yankees out will be to develop with extensive German aid their military industry and training of their Army.... After the remaining idiots that followed the Darwin Awards in the Congress's crater are excised from the armed Forces.

Granting Germany the right to create a military outpost for their ships, with the potential to create a Commercial Port in the South Patagonia further remove the ideas of Yankee adventures and also prevents elements in Chile from getting ideas during the likely decade that will take to fully restructure the Argentinian Armed Forces following the Reformed Post WWII pattern from the German Armed Forces.

Now, depends in IF the Americans were stupid enough to send physical messages to who likely will pass into Argentinian history as "The New Year Fools's Fireworks Putsch"

Because if so, once the Argentinian Government finds it, the reaction is going to be borderline explosive.

After Spain? Fat chance of that.

Don't bet on it. Hubris abounds. "Those were a bunch of rich civilians, we're military and diplomatic professionals. Nobody will find the documents we sent."

And @holyknight: 'Borderline?' Bit of understatement there - this will be the diplomatic equivalent of that gadget the Germans detonated in the South Pacific.

Part 48, Chapter 638
Chapter Six Hundred Thirty-Eight

1st January 1948

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The whole thing was a kick to the head. They shell a liberty port and then get welcomed with open arms even though there wasn’t an undamaged building or intact bit of glass anywhere in sight only hours later as the great liberators. Arend walked through the city recalling the conversation he’d had with the Intelligence Officer aboard the Rhineland. The man had been grumbling about how they had managed to so thoroughly kill the big players in Junta that all they were left with was the small fry who didn’t know shit about what had really been going on. Everyone knew who had ultimately been responsible for this shit-show, just they couldn’t prove it. It was as if at the end of the Spanish War the Zamora papers had accidentally been destroyed.

Arend knew what few people in the Fleet knew. It had been Grand Admiral Jacob von Schmidt himself who had redirected the SMS Rhineland, the SMS Graf von Richthofen and their respective battlegroups to Argentina based entirely upon signal intercepts. There was no way to prove the American involvement without revealing the fact that the Grand Admiral’s favorite hobby was reading everyone else’s mail. The last message from Jacob had been interesting to say the least. The Reichstag had made sure that he would remain in Kiel or Wilhelmshaven for the foreseeable future, but Jacob’s reach was increasing as time went on. The Intelligence Officer might not have liked the outcome of what happened, but he didn’t see the big picture. While the artillery strike from the Rhineland had been aimed at Palace of the National Congress, the real target had been a few kilometers away, the US Embassy to be exact. The American Naval Attaché and the entire OSS mission had probably shit themselves.

That was where Jacob’s particular sort of magic revealed itself. If they had definitive proof that the Amis were messing about in the internal politics of an ostensibly neutral country, then it could mean war. Instead, they had no proof but an angry Argentine Government that was no longer on the fence. The Kaiserliche Marine was getting basing rights in Buenos Aires and Rio Gallegos with talk of building shipyards to support that effort. The Luftwaffe was gaining access to airports to facilitate the Mid-Atlantic recon flights and there was a keen interest in increasing the number of military advisors the Heer sent to the Argentine Army once they got through cleaning it out. Arend knew better than to tell anyone about these things, no one would believe it.

A group of sailors came out of one of the taverns. Arend could tell that they were already three sheets to the wind. He recognized Christoph and some of the others. One of those included Albrecht von Richthofen, Arend had encouraged Christoph to make the Cadet a friend. A Cadet was roughly equivalent to a Maat as far as authority was concerned, but if what he’d been hearing about Albrecht regarding his performance during the artillery strike was true then he wasn’t going to remain a Cadet for long. It was going to be a valuable friendship for Christoph in the future.

Berlin

Sven had been released from the hospital but remained on convalescent leave. It was just as well, he didn’t want the informal meeting that he was about to have appear on any record. He opened the door to Gert’s Tavern, it was still early in the day so there were no customers. He walked up to one of the tables, pulled out a chair and sat down in it. Otto Mischner, who had been doing the books with Gert glared at him across it.

“If you could leave us” Sven said to Gert, “Your business partner and I have some private business to discuss.”

Gert looked to Otto who nodded. The bartender got up and left.

“You got some nerve, Inspector” Otto growled.

“I’m not here to fight with you or make an arrest and others know I’m here” Sven said, “I just figured you’d want to know the progress of my investigation.”

Otto stared at him, clearly wondering what was going on.

“I’m at the point in the investigation where I turn the suspects against each other” Sven said, “However one of the suspects saved my life so I owe her one.”

“What are you saying?”

“That if I told Katherine the truth about what happened ten years ago she might just as easily serve you up as leave us with another homicide to investigate” Sven replied.

Otto sat there revealing nothing.

“Katherine made a comment about there being those within society that others simply don’t see” Sven said, “You are one of those people but ten years ago you stuck your neck out in a messy, brutal fashion. That is not your style at all.”

Still Otto was silent, staring at Sven with cold eyes.

“You were being leaned on. You assumed that the distance you’d put between yourself and your family would keep them safe, but it was a miscalculation on your part and your daughter paid a heavy price” Sven said, “You needed to prove to your own people that you could protect your own and send a message to those leaning on you. You did it by taking revenge in such a visible manner. That is also the reason why you’ve refused to acknowledge your other children which is why Katherine is on bad terms with you presently.”

“That is an interesting theory, Inspector” Otto said, “But if you could go fuck off already.”

“The case is cold again, but I thought I’d let you know that my only real interest is justice and it looks like it was served. See you around, Otto” Sven said as he got to his feet and walked out.

Last edited:
President Dewey and the Dulles Brothers better not say these two words unless they want the whole world to know that they are a bunch of (BLEEP) ups: Monroe Doctrine.

The inspector does and amirable job of adding two plus two and getting eleven and he has let this case become personal. Instead of trying to push people into confessing by mistake, he should talk to them. Sometimes one can achieve ore by not being a dick. And he much too sure of himself, next time he wants to confront someone without back-up, Kat won't be there, and he will not be confronting Otto Mischner, but some cornered person who has nothing to loose.

As I think about it, most of the blowback will come from the United States as Congress and the press will want to find out why has Germany gained a valuable ally and the United States has lost prestige in it's own backyard.
Germany can keep their hands clean by using their back channel contacts to have Congressional staff, influential members of the media asking the embarrassing questions that the Dewey Administration doesn't want to answer.

They wanted to send a message. The overkill application of firepower was part of it.
(Also, maybe a Red Herring to keep eyes on the Battleships and away from the Carriers)

They were also sending a message to people who had huge hammers...

And when all you have is a hammer... well, you know how the saying goes. Basically sending a message in a way they understand and can't write off as they would probably do with carriers.

President Dewey and the Dulles Brothers better not say these two words unless they want the whole world to know that they are a bunch of (BLEEP) ups: Monroe Doctrine.

At this point the Monroe Doctrine has come to mean "Those wimps in Central and South America are my bitches and I'll treat 'em however I want."

They wanted to send a message. The overkill application of firepower was part of it.
(Also, maybe a Red Herring to keep eyes on the Battleships and away from the Carriers)

They were also sending a message to people who had huge hammers...

And when all you have is a hammer... well, you know how the saying goes. Basically sending a message in a way they understand and can't write off as they would probably do with carriers.

One thing it does is focus attention on the battleline to the detriment of anyone (*cough* America *cough*) with which the KLM comes to blows and is expecting a Clash of Titans like the first phase of the South China Sea.

One thing it does is focus attention on the battleline to the detriment of anyone (*cough* America *cough*) with which the KLM comes to blows and is expecting a Clash of Titans like the first phase of the South China Sea.

There is that, also aircraft are still not known for pinpoint accuracy ITTL yet, whereas they could reasonably expect every shell to hit where it was aimed.

Since the battleship fired five salvos in a minute, people will be standing up and taking notice. They don't know that the ship can't sustain that rate of fire. Assuming the gun was developed in this timeline, the only other rapid fire heavy gun would be the 8"/55 RF Mk 16 http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_8-55_mk16.php

Battleship guns firing that fast will change the focus of various research projects in the navies of the world.

Bombarding that much of the city does seem excessive, even if the main purpose was to ensure that the American embassy was collateral damage.

Bombarding that much of the city does seem excessive, even if the main purpose was to ensure that the American embassy was collateral damage.
I don't think the Embassy suffered more than some broken windows and fallen plaster (maybe some browned pants). If a projectile directly hit (even if by true accident) it may be constituted as an act of war at worst, or ineptitude at best.

“The case is cold again, but I thought I’d let you know that my only real interest is justice and it looks like it was served. See you around, Otto” Sven said as he got to his feet and walked out.
Finally and at last, the long overdue realization by the state, that law and justice are NOT the same thing.

Once again PM, thanks for the ongoing, enjoyable read...

The US Embassy was not hit nor was it targeted at all other than phscalogically. The sudden, Dramatic and complete obliteration of a city block in a one minute of gunfire from a single warship would send seismic shocks through the US diplomats. I can just imagine the highly classified report from the US Naval Attaché. Its final conclusion would be styled as DNMWTFIYDYD, The second report from the spooks regarding what happened to the soldiers sent to neutralise Kat would read the same, simply with the expletive substituted by Female!!!