An Examination of Extra-Universal Systems of Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
The king is so vehemenent in his ideals I almost.thought it was satire
I've read some neo-monarchist philosophers before (in an attempt to see whether they have any good points - in short, they diagnose some real problems with modern society together with other things that aren't problems, and propose solutions that'd make things even worse on balance); I completely buy his sincerity.

M
I've read some neo-monarchist philosophers before (in an attempt to see whether they have any good points - in short, they diagnose some real problems with modern society together with other things that aren't problems, and propose solutions that'd make things even worse on balance); I completely buy his sincerity.
My issue wasn't in the philosophy just the presentation, felt a dash strawmanny

My issue wasn't in the philosophy just the presentation, felt a dash strawmanny
Well, frankly, that's a common issue in this thread - the people open up far too quickly to the interviewer and readily summarize their political philosophies. In-universe, I suppose we could say the interviews are summarized and excerpted? It's been a while since I've read the European Empire entry (and it's a long thread... got a link?), but I don't remember any unusual problems there.

Well, frankly, that's a common issue in this thread - the people open up far too quickly to the interviewer and readily summarize their political philosophies. In-universe, I suppose we could say the interviews are summarized and excerpted? It's been a while since I've read the European Empire entry (and it's a long thread... got a link?), but I don't remember any unusual problems there.
It's.most.likely internal.bias on my part

The interviews are set up beforehand with the express intention of allowing people to get their views out there. I imagine that Chana makes this clear when setting up the interview.

Another idea for a privately-owned society: the City of London, with what we colloquially know as the London metropolis known ITTL as Westminster. Unlike Guatemala, London meets the requirements of the stereotypical evil privately-owned society: a democracy where massive banks and corporations can vote (and their votes matter most), where the economy is based on colonial exploits[1], laundering money for criminals, terrorists and dictators, and acting as a tax haven for the world's corporations, meaning they are effectively impossible to tax directly.

[1] I'm thinking of giving London its own, de facto colonies across the former British Empire. Maybe they even own parts of the Congo directly.

Last edited:
Another idea for a privately-owned society: the City of London, with what we colloquially know as the London metropolis known ITTL as Westminster. Unlike Guatemala, London meets the requirements of the stereotypical evil privately-owned society: a democracy where massive banks and corporations can vote (and their votes matter most), where the economy is based on colonial exploits[1], laundering money for criminals, terrorists and dictators, and acting as a tax haven for the world's corporations, meaning they are effectively impossible to tax directly.

[1] I'm thinking of giving London its own, de facto colonies across the former British Empire. Maybe they even own parts of the Congo directly.

The colonies or Free Ports are coastal cities/trade points that have been leased or purchased from strapped governments. Most governments would want them back for the tax revenue but owe the City a lot of money and need the access to the financial markets and resources.

The colonies or Free Ports are coastal cities/trade points that have been leased or purchased from strapped governments. Most governments would want them back for the tax revenue but owe the City a lot of money and need the access to the financial markets and resources.

I like it. The big issue is how to collapse the UK in such a way that the City of London becomes a fully sovereign state. I want to avoid a revolution, Nazis, or anything 20th century.

Jcw3

Banned
I like it. The big issue is how to collapse the UK in such a way that the City of London becomes a fully sovereign state. I want to avoid a revolution, Nazis, or anything 20th century.

A decentralization fad brought on by Scottish/Irish/Welsh separatism, followed by increased political polarization within England, until the various bits and pieces break away under a loose, EU-esque agreement, which then falls apart, leaving the UK fully balkanized?

London "buys" its independence from the UK. England allows London to run as an independent state along with certain agreements on trade/travel and limits on military size and type. That does not stop the City from being the Headquarters for various Security and Private Military Contractors.

I had an idea for a military trans-national government, like executive action that has its own citizenship and little embassies throughout africa. Or a less nonsensical option, one of the great mercenary companies of the renaissance (Landsknecht? Urbino?, maybe the great English company from earlier) puts pressure on the HRE in a moment of weakness and exacts an electorship.

I had an idea for a military trans-national government, like executive action that has its own citizenship and little embassies throughout africa. Or a less nonsensical option, one of the great mercenary companies of the renaissance (Landsknecht? Urbino?, maybe the great English company from earlier) puts pressure on the HRE in a moment of weakness and exacts an electorship.

The Legion is our Country

Skallagrim

Banned
There's always the old nugget of a surviving Templar Order that eventually becomes so powerful that it becomes a fully sovereign entity. All its monasteries / castles / banks / other holdings become sovereign land, treates as embassies are within other countries.

There's always the old nugget of a surviving Templar Order that eventually becomes so powerful that it becomes a fully sovereign entity. All its monasteries / castles / banks / other holdings become sovereign land, treates as embassies are within other countries.

The Knights of Malta are still fully sovereign.

Skallagrim

Banned
The Knights of Malta are still fully sovereign.

True, and would be a nice alternative, since they're hyped way less often than the Templars. On the other hand, the OTL power base the Templars enjoyed gives them the best starting position to remain a power of some note. The Knights of Malta are officially sovereign, after all, but nearly all their funding is reliant on the EU, so they're totally beholden. And also, when Pope Francis says "jump!", the Grand Master he doesn't like resigns. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.