An Examination of Extra-Universal Systems of Government

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aww, but that's a official conscripted military. I was set on a smaller "weird" professional mercenary group

The first thing that comes to mind for me is Diamond Dogs :p

I actually like the idea of a surviving Knights Templar or Knights Hospitaller... With the former as a Papal-sanctioned mercenary group and a Red Cross-offshoot in the case of the latter.

Maybe a mercenary company (in the old sense) becomes associated with a particular state, the state collapses, and in the chaos the mercenaries grab some land?
Is this plausible in the modern age?

Might be a good direction to take the fall of the Soviet Union. This is also a scenario that happens all the time with nuclear war, but I don't imagine Chana visiting timelines where he's liable to get attacked by wastelanders.

Might be a good direction to take the fall of the Soviet Union. This is also a scenario that happens all the time with nuclear war, but I don't imagine Chana visiting timelines where he's liable to get attacked by wastelanders.
Perhaps Stalin doesn't purge the escaped communists after the Spanish Civil War, and keeps them around as a sort of permanent (stalinist) International Brigade?

Speaking of which, here's the map and flag for Free France.

FreeFrance.png

Here's an idea: After Germany proper falls to civil war in the '60s, the Reichskommisariats in the "Wild East" spring off, with Reichskommisariat Moskowien falling under a group inspired by Julius Evola.

Here's an idea: After Germany proper falls to civil war in the '60s, the Reichskommisariats in the "Wild East" spring off, with Reichskommisariat Moskowien falling under a group inspired by Julius Evola.

There might be a chapter in the future featuring nationalist/ultranationalist/fascist regimes. I'll keep this in mind.

Another idea: the Federation of Sovereign Voluntarists. They're anarcho-capitalists of the Hoppean variety, which means they ironically have a strong pseudo-monarch in charge of "guaranteeing property rights and enforcing the non-aggression principle." They'll insist this isn't a state, but they do have a flag, a military, and a seat at the UN. Rather fond of "physical removal" of those who "threaten to violate the NAP," which means chucking dissidents out of helicopters into the ocean. I don't know which country they'll be based out of, but I'm thinking a Latin American country or the Philippines, some place with heavy American influence that is outside of Europe. I do want to avoid making it Chile, though.

Some future chapter ideas:

Nationalist and Fascist Governments:
This includes states that are ideologically fascist in that they base their teachings on Mussolini, and those that are just nationalistic. There will be a regular fascist state (probably an ahistorical one), a "good"/functional fascist state (one that is already ethnically homogenous and, because of its circumstances, not expansionist; post-Japanese united Korea? By no means a democracy, but does respect human rights, even if they think their rights are superior), a democratic nationalist state, the Evolan Moskowien suggested above, maybe an Esoteric Hitlerist Indian state, and the rest will probably focus on different definitions of nationhood.

Technocratic Governments:
The main thrust of this chapter is likely exploring rule by different kinds of experts: there will be the expected science dictatorship, but what about a red-flavored one ruled by "labor experts," one ruled by judges and lawyers (that isn't a massive Dredd reference), and maybe a state that is run by an AI (but in reality is run by the people programming the AI).

Colonial Governments:
The main differences will be how self-governing a colony is. We have de facto independent states with some colonial links, like OTL Canada, there are directly-governed colonies, and a lot of states in between. Another interesting colonial government are those colonized by non-state actors; a successful Liberia "colonized" by the American Colonization Society, whose headquarters remain in the United States? There might be a prison colony there that remains a prison colony into the 21st century, so probably not Australia. There might even be a joint Soviet-American lunar colony.

Theocratic Governments:
Runs a large gamut, from a government with an imperial cult (surviving Roman Empire, although a very small one that only has control of the area around Rome proper), to a theodemocracy (you can vote for all of the parties you want, but they are all religious). This would include the black American Protestant state, where the rhetoric of Martin Luther King Jr. would not be foreign, and a technically-secular Holy City of Jerusalem governed by over half a dozen religious movements because the Status Quo applies to the entire city (six Christian churches, Sunni and Shia Muslims, and of course religious Jews; and you thought the OTL situation is a mess!).

Oh and maybe a chapter on democracy, but since democracies are scattered around the chapters it might not be worth it.

Status
Not open for further replies.