Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

This will help Prince develop his next album, Thriller, in 1983.

I'm interested to see how this goes.

Just don't have Toto be his backing band (Toto was the backing band on 5 out of 9 tracks on MJ's Thriller) or have Prince duet with Paul McCartney, since those would be completely out of character. IOTL, Prince almost never had anyone outside his Paisley Park circle work on his albums.

January 19th 1980: "When We're Dancing Close and Slowly" by Prince
January 26th 1980: "When We're Dancing Close and Slowly" by Prince

Event: Quincy Jones, aspiring Motown producer, bring Prince under mentorship. This will help Prince develop his next album, Thriller, in 1983.

I'm interested to see how this goes.

Just don't have Toto be his backing band (Toto was the backing band on 5 out of 9 tracks on MJ's Thriller) or have Prince duet with Paul McCartney, since those would be completely out of character. IOTL, Prince almost never had anyone outside his Paisley Park circle work on his albums.

This. If you don't have any of the Paisley Park people on the album and just turn Prince into MJ it's going to be ASB. You have to look into what Prince was doing and what songs he realistically would have recorded and how Quincy could have improved upon the sound. :)

And unless I am mistaken, I don't think Prince took a lot of outside writers. Quincy provided MJ with a lot of tracks by outside writers for Thriller. The most realistic thing to do would have Prince do a duet with Sheena Easton a few years early.

EDIT: I might do something with one member of the Jackson family, so the Jacksons could likely still appear in the TL. My postings involving said family member will be short-lived. Too much of them would be overkill.

Last edited:
February 2nd, 1980: "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" - Charlie Daniels
February 9th, 1980: "I Can't Leave You Alone" - Barry White

FB_IMG_1505239792206.jpg

Just came across this picture.
Brian Wilson with members from Van Halen.
Should we go for it?

Should we go for it?

I feel like those would go together about as well as Bruno Mars with Eminem, so maybe not.

Alternately, we could have them make a flop collaboration album, a la Lulu. But I don't see any such union getting a number one hit.

I feel like those would go together about as well as Bruno Mars with Eminem, so maybe not.

Alternately, we could have them make a flop collaboration album, a la Lulu. But I don't see any such union getting a number one hit.

might sound a little bit like this:

With much much cleaner background vocals...

View attachment 343689
Should we go for it?

Only if either Brian or the Van Halen guys are in a "backing capacity" to the other. IOTL, Roger Waters had Bruce Johnston and Toni Tennille do backing vocals on Pink Floyd's "The Show Must Go On" and it was great. But a full-blown collaboration just wouldn't work as their styles are too different.

Only if either Brian or the Van Halen guys are in a "backing capacity" to the other. IOTL, Roger Waters had Bruce Johnston and Toni Tennille do backing vocals on Pink Floyd's "The Show Must Go On" and it was great. But a full-blown collaboration just wouldn't work as their styles are too different.

Ok, I am convinced.
Just liked the pic.

High Voltage reunites (1980)
February 16th, 1980: "Lost in the Supermarket" - The Clash
February 23rd, 1980: "Lost in the Supermarket" - The Clash

Event: High Voltage reunite with plans to record another album. The band has not recruited a new vocalist to replace the late Bon Scott, and instead bassist Lemmy Kilmister will now also be the band's lead singer. The band has once again signed a record deal with Reckless Records.