Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

CBGB almost burns down, closes for several months (1980)
March 15th, 1980: "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"- Queen
March 22nd, 1980: "Crazy Little Thing Called Love"- Queen

Event: March 17th, 1980: During a performance by the Talking Heads at the CBGB club in New York, a faulty wire next to some spillt alcohol leads to a fire. While all the people are able to evacuate safely, the building itself suffers severe damage, prompting the owner to close for several months for repairs.

March 15th, 1980: "Crazy Thing Called Love"- Queen
March 22nd, 1980: "Crazy Thing Called Love"- Queen

Event: March 17th, 1980: During a performance by the Talking Heads at the CGBG club in New York, a faulty wire next to some spillt alcohol leads to a fire. While all the people are able to evacuate safely, the building itself suffers severe damage, prompting the owner to close for several months for repairs.

Maybe this was intentional but *Crazy Little Thing Called Love and *CBGB

Probably time for more R&B again.

March 29th, 1980: "Yes I'm Ready" - Teri DeSario ft. Barry Gibb
April 5th, 1980: "Yes I'm Ready" - Teri DeSario ft. Barry Gibb

Judas Priest release Metal Gods (1980)
April 12th, 1980: "United We Stand" - Judas Priest [1]
April 19th, 1980: "Shake Your Pants" - Cameo

[1] - Despite the fact that Judas Priest are a British band, this song will become a 4th of July staple in the decades following its release.

Event: Judas Priest release their fifth album Metal Gods on April 16th. The album is a large commercial success and is well received by the band's fans, though it is generally poorly received by critics (many of whom are still hostile towards Heavy Metal in general). The album is eventually certified 6x platinum. The album continues to refine the band's more melodic pop metal sound that made their last album such a success. It also includes yet another Queen cover (this time a cover of Sheer Heart Attack), and even features various members of Queen on some tracks.

-------------------------

Spotify

GnCoCLk.png

Judas Priest - Metal Gods

Side A

Burnin' Up
Breaking the Law
Delivering the Goods
Living After Midnight
United We Stand

Side B

The Rage
The Green Manalishi (With the Two Pronged Crown) (Fleetwood Mac cover)
Sheer Heart Attack (Queen Cover)
Metal Gods
Steeler

April 26th, 1980: "Love Stinks" - J. Geils Band

While choosing songs for this TL, I've come to the conclusion that 1980 really isn't a good year for music. There aren't any albums released between February and October that I actually like listening to. I can't wait for 1981.

Silver Pistol release Heart (1980)
May 3rd, 1980: "Love Stinks" - J. Geils Band

May 10th, 1980: "Man On A Mountain"- Silver Pistol

24207165555_3d0c6a7d75_b.jpg

Silver Pistol- Heart (Stiff/Epic, 1980)

Produced by Buddy Holly

Track Listing can be found on the Spotify playlist here

Saga of the Force, Episode II: The Empire Strikes Back is released (1980)
To a guilty pleasure of mine:
May 17th, 1980: "Escape (The Pina Colada Song)"- Rupert Holmes

Event: May 21st, 1980: Saga of the Force, Episode II: The Empire Strikes Back is released in the United States.

I heard the Cars were a big influence on The Killers.

I can definitely see it in this song, more than their other ones.

Brandon Flowers has let me down hardcore over the last few years, but I agree that there's an influence there. That's easily one of my favourite Cars songs. :)

July 26th, 1980: "Sail On" - Commodores
August 2nd, 1980: "Sail On" - Commodores

(This is actually a 1979 song, just further proving how weak 1980 is for pop music)

National Lampoon Television Variety Hour changes name to National Lampoon Television, changes cast (1980)
August 16th, 1980: "The Heart To Break The Heart"- France Joli
August 23rd, 1980: "Another Brick in the Wall (Part. II)"- Spectrum Five

Event: August 2nd, 1980: The National Lampoon Television Variety Hour changes its name to National Lampoon Television, or NLTV. Along with this change is a new cast, including comedians Eddie Murphy, Robin Williams, and Gilbert Gottfried.