Alternate List of Billboard #1 Hits: Katarn Edition

January 16th, 1960: "The Big Hurt" - Miss Toni Fisher
January 23rd, 1960: "The Big Hurt" - Miss Toni Fisher

The Day the Jazz Died (1960)
January 30th, 1960: "I Gotta Right to Sing the Blues", by Sammy Davis, Jr.
February 6th, 1960: "Summertime", by Miles Davis and Al Martino

Event: While on Miles Davis's flight to the UK, the engines fail, leading to the crash and deaths of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Don Cherry, and others. This tragic event was quickly dubbed "The Day Jazz Died". A string of posthumous singles would be released, to honor the dead, most notably a rerecording of "Summertime" Miles Davis had done before his death(his last recording, in fact), with Al Martino contributing vocals.

Event: While on Miles Davis's flight to the UK, the engines fail, leading to the crash and deaths of Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Ornette Coleman, Don Cherry, and others. This tragic event was quickly dubbed "The Day Jazz Died". A string of posthumous singles would be released, to honor the dead, most notably a rerecording of "Summertime" Miles Davis had done before his death(his last recording, in fact), with Al Martino contributing vocals.

There goes Neneh Cherry. :(

Birth of Charles Holly (1959)
Its sad, but I felt someone had to die :'(
Meh. I can just throw her into my own timeline eventually.

Edit so I'm not double posting:

February 13th, 1960: "Summertime" by Miles Davis and Al Martino

Jumping back a few months. New York Times, September 22, 1959:

"Buddy Holly's wife Maria Elena has given birth to a healthy baby boy, Charles Mario Holly. The couple has named Ritchie Valens as the Godfather...."

Last edited:
Beginning of Buddy Holly's UK Tour (1960)
Edit so I'm not double posting

You can actually double post all you like.

February 27th, 1960: "Summertime" - Miles Davis and Al Martino
March 5th, 1960: "Summertime" - Miles Davis and Al Martino

Event: Buddy Holly's UK tour begins with Ritchie Valens, Gene Vincent and many other smaller acts as support (including some local British bands). The tour is instantly marred by "The Day the Jazz Died", with Holly feeling somewhat responsible for the tragedy, as the musicians who died were about to embark on a tour that was seemingly meant to compete with Holly's tour.

We still gotta have our teen idols, which are admittedly a guilty pleasure of mine.

March 19th, 1960: "Wild One", by Bobby Rydell
March 26th, 1960: "Wild One", by Bobby Rydell

Buddy Holly meets the Moondogs (1960)
April 2nd, 1960: "Wild One" - Bobby Rydell
April 9th, 1960: "Harbor Lights" - The Platters

Event: Near the end of Buddy Holly's UK tour Ritchie Valens came down sick before a show, and had to be replaced at the last minute as the opening act with a young unsigned local band. Holly was so impressed by their performance that he invited them backstage after the show, where one of the band members presented him with a song he wrote. Again impressed, and having been faced with a constantly fluctuating backing band earlier in the tour Holly offered to make them his backing band on the spot. His one gripe was with their name which he felt was too similar to his old band The Crickets, so they changed it to an older name they used to use 'The Moondogs'. They would soon record the song presented to Holly and it would soon be released as a single.

(OOC: For those of you who do understand what I just posted I realize this might be a bit too early, but I've got to go and the thread was really picking up speed. I didn't want to lose my chance.)

Last edited:
The early 60's were also the era of random dance crazes, of course.

April 16th, 1960: "Harbor Lights" - The Platters
April 23rd, 1960: "Hully Gully" - The Olympics

April 30th, 1960: "Stuck on You", by Elvis Presley and the Jordanaires
May 7th, 1960: "Fate in a Pleasant Mood", by Sun Ra and his Myth Science Arkestra

(Presumably a saccharine little Neil Sedaka love song, with no bustling in hedgerows nor shadows stronger than anyone's souls...)

Just listened to it... yep

June 18th, 1960: "Hello Little Girl" - Buddy Holly and the Moondogs
June 25th, 1960: "Hello Little Girl" - Buddy Holly and the Moondogs

The first single released by Buddy Holly with his new backing band, hastily recorded in-between legs of Holly's tour.

You know, I'm tempted to have Percy Faith's single return to number one this summer, to imitate what The Twist did IOTL, but I'm suppressing the urge, for now.

July 9th, 1960: "Paper Roses" - Anita Bryant

You guys do know who the Moondogs are right?

July 16th, 1960: "Only the Lonely (Know How I Feel)" - Roy and the Royals
July 23rd, 1960: "Only the Lonely (Know How I Feel)" - Roy and the Royals