Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.5%
  • It's ok

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 42 13.7%

• Total voters

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I forget what happened in Georgia? At this rate they may invite Britain or Spain in to guard against this revolt spreadig as the North seems unable or unwilling to save the South from their perspective I expect.

Georgia is still holding on, but with their low free population and high slave population, they are sitting on a minefield.

Hmm, in fact I could see private groups of Carolinian whites approaching the UK begging to be taken back under the Empire's protection. Claiming the Southern Whites will be loyal subjects if the Red Coats save the prodigal sons of the South from the revolution/race war.
Doubtful. Travel time would be too long, and more to the point.... Why would Britain want them back? The Red Coats would have to put down a good sized slave revolt that could easily lead into US territory, which would be costly.

While some Southerners might turn back to Britain, or turn to Spain, it wouldn't work. Neither Britain nor Spain have the resources to put down a slave revolt of the scale of what is happening in the Carolinas. But, unlike the Regulators who might have gotten some aid from Britain, the New Africans won't out of fear of the slave revolt spreading to their own colonies.

Is the republic of new africa limited just to charleston, or the rest of the slave controlled territories?
New Africa effectively is just Charleston, but it has gangs pledging loyalty across the whole of South Carolina and Southern North Carolina.

Governor Matthews, I don't feel so good.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
It's a known fact that the South is on fire, but it could be worse. And you know what? I think it will be worse.

“I took up arms for the freedom of my color. It is our own - we will defend it or perish.”
--Toussaint Louverture

As April turned to May, and the Carolinas descended further into anarchy, Georgia was balancing on a tightrope. While a small slave uprising had occurred in the north, and was promptly put down, the situation in Georgia had the potential to erupt in violence at any moment. In reaction, some slave owners in Georgia were aware of the situation, and began freeing slaves on the condition they swore loyalty to Georgia. While only a minority of slave owners freed any slaves, the population of free blacks in Georgia septupled during March and April, swelling to nearly three thousand.

Governor George Matthews was first and foremost a military man, and was acutely aware that Georgia was in no position to fight off both a large internal slave rebellion, or fend off a potential invasion by Carolinian slave rebels. At most, Georgia could organize ten thousand white men to fight against the nearly thirty thousand slaves in Georgia, or the tens of thousands of Carolinian slave rebels. As such, on April 27th, Matthews proposed to the Georgian General Assembly that any black slave who was willing to swear an oath of loyalty to Georgia and fight, would be freed when the slave rebellion was over.

The General Assembly didn’t take the proposal very well. While a few members agreed that freed slaves could be allowed to fight, the idea of arming the slaves was considered insanity of the highest order by General Assembly. A few members of the General Assembly even made motions to impeach Matthews. While nothing ever came of the motions to impeach, Matthews lost a large amount of political support, and instead departed Augusta to lead a militia contingent on an attack into South Carolina.

Matthews arrived in the tiny border town of Sylvania on May 3rd, and took charge of two thousand Georgian militiamen who had been stationed in the region to defend the border. Under Matthews command, the militia marched across the border into South Carolina. While the militia was far from an organized fighting force, it was able to defeat the various fighting gangs and smaller slave rebel armies on the road to Charleston. Local white militias rallied to Matthews’ army, and by May 15th, the number of militiamen under Matthews’ command was slightly over five thousand. However, despite these gains, Matthews’ army made slow progress, due to near continual harassment by small fighting gangs.

New Africa, however, was not hanging on the edge. A large numbers of slave rebels were proclaiming allegiance to New Africa, and after the bloody battle of John’s Island, a number of white towns and militias, seeking to avoid the slaughter that John’s Island and Charleston experienced, agreed to stop fighting New Africa if black gangs were kept away from white owned farms and towns. While this peace wasn’t accepted by all white towns or militias, it was sufficient to allow for New Africa to begin consolidating their control over southeastern South Carolina.

Matthews’ invasion, however, threw a wrench in the works. The peace between white and black groups in the area controlled by New Africa was already quite threadbare, and whites began defecting to Matthews’ forces in mass. In response to this, Kannifo Smalls began organizing an army to fight Matthews. Initially, Smalls was able to recruit eight thousand New Africans, many of whom fought in the invasion of Charleston, to march against Matthews. By the time the New African army departed on May 21st, the number had swollen to thirteen thousand. Eight days later, the New African army would find Matthews’ army, camped at Windy Hill.

The sky was just beginning to grow light at Windy Hills. Matthews’ forces were still resting, and even many of the sentries were dozing at their posts. Suddenly, a yell sprang up from the trees just north of the camp. Following it were thousands of black soldiers, pouring out of the woods, shrieking in a manner that future generations would call a Rebel yell. Many of the white soldiers, aroused from their slumber by the commotion simply fled, only to find that the New Africans had surrounded the white army. The ensuing battle was vicious, and one-sided. As screams of Matthews’ forces and Rebel yells tore through the air, the Republic led out one last, wheezing gasp. And with the death of Matthews’ men, came the death of the Republic.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
So, this timeline got 6,666 views, and in honor of all the sixes, I decided to give a minor spoiler for this timeline in the distant future, because it's kind of a cool number. I will put in the spoiler brackets though, so if you don't want a minor spoiler for this timeline in the 1970s, don't look.

President Archie Sprague.PNG

The Constitutional Question

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
It's long, and somewhat undetailed, but the update on the Constitution is here, and since everything is burning, the Convention managed to bludgeon out a Constitution faster than William Henry Harrison could give a speech. Let's hope it works.

“All human authority, however organized, must have confined limits”
—George Clinton

Throughout late May, June and early July, the Constitutional Convention’s tempo accelerated to reckless levels. On May 30th, the formal establishment of a bicameral legislature, the lower house was to be proportional by population and the upper house was to be of equal representation had solidified. Three days later, debates over the election process, and form of government caused an agreement that the executive powers would be split amongst multiple individuals, called Directors.

There were three Directors called for in the initial plan. The first Director, the Director of the People, was to elected by popular vote, have the power to issue “directorial orders,” veto the directorial order of the other Director, veto legislation, grant pardons and reprieves, and appoint judges. The second Director, the Director of the State, was to be elected by the lower house, and had the power to issue directorial orders as well, veto the directorial order of the other Director, veto legislation, create treaties and receive ambassadors. The third Director, the Director of the Military, was elected by the upper house, could not pass directorial orders, or veto legislation, and served as commander of chief of the American army.

Alexander Hamilton and the growing number of monarchists were not happy with the Directorial system. The new monarchical faction consisted primarily of delegates from the Carolinas, Georgia and Massachusetts, although at least one delegate from New Hampshire, Connecticut and Virginia made up the monarchical faction as well. Their chief concern was with the failures of the weak, republican government that was currently failing in its efforts to stop the slave rebellion in the south, and could barely fend off the Regulators of Massachusetts. While president of the Convention, Robert Morris was himself strongly against abandoning the republic, the growing number of monarchists threatened to completely derail the Convention. Without the approval of the monarchical faction at the Convention, the vote was hung.

The hung vote persisted through the first weeks of June, and the Convention’s progress ground to a halt. During this time, news of Matthews’ defeat reached Philadelphia, and once again, the monarchists gained even more influence. However, on June 13th, a compromise plan came into existence, brokered by Benjamin Franklin and Roger Sherman. A provision would be added into the executive branch that allowed the states to vote yea or nea on whether or not they would accept a monarch when ratifying the Constitution. If the majority voted yea, then the new government would appoint a monarch, but each state would still have the power to decide their own method of governance, whether monarchical or republican.

The powers of the monarch would be few, and heavily limited by the Constitution. If a monarchy was established, the monarch’s power would not come from a divine right to rule, as was common in Europe and beyond, but instead the monarch’s power to rule would come from the people, and the people could take it away if the monarch abused their power. The monarch would have the power to issue directorial orders, but those could be vetoed by either the Director of the State, or of the People. The monarch could also serve as the “tie-breaker” between the Directors of the State and of the People, overriding the veto of a directorial order. Unlike the Directors, the monarch could not veto legislation, and had no other powers unless the powers were explicitly stated in the Constitution.

While the debate over whether or not a monarchy should be established raged, the debate over slavery once again struck, due to questions of how slaves were to be counted in terms of population. Southerners argued that they should be counted fully in population, while Northerners argued that they shouldn’t be counted at all. After a week of near constant debate in the convention hall, and backroom dealings outside the hall, an agreement was made. While slaves would not count as population, they would also not count as property should the government issue taxes. Another concession to slave-holding states was on navigation acts, which would require ⅔ of the House of Representatives to approve. In another compromise, the international slave trade was banned (the last states where the international slave trading was legal, South Carolina and Georgia had banned it due to the current conflict), in exchange for a fugitive slave clause.

In other details of the Constitution, the Convention saw more general agreement. The process of impeachment of the Directors was assigned to the Senate, taxation to the House of Representatives, and term lengths of six years for the Directors of the State and of the People were all agreed upon on the same day, and the next day it was agreed that Directors of the State and of the People would not be eligible for re-election. On June 21st, George Mason, Elbridge Gerry, and Edmund Randolph, three delegates who had been in disagreement with the remainder of the Convention for much of the time called for the inclusion of a Bill of Rights into the Constitution, which was agreed upon. Two days later, a Bill of Rights was drafted, and approved by the Convention.

With the passage of the Bill of Rights came one final large debate. Would the federal government be able to override the states? Once again, the debate stopped the Convention’s progress. Delegates from New England and smaller states argued for a firmer union that was supreme to the states, while delegates from the south, and from larger states wanted the states to be sovereign. For a week, the delegates could not agree on an answer. And, the Convention went on recess for the upcoming Independence celebrations.

While the Convention was on recess, the delegates from New Jersey left, discouraged by the events of the Convention. Then, on July 6th, as the Convention was reconvening, news of Washington’s death reached Philadelphia. The news, while tragic, was a godsend to the delegates in favor of a stronger government, and in many delegates eyes, it justified the general increase in the government’s power that the Constitution called for. Nonetheless, this was not sufficient to prevent the pro-states delegates from adding in a clause to the Constitution that gave the states “all powers of no Consequence to Public and Private safety, and the powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution.”

Finally, after two months of grueling debate, the Constitutional Convention was coming to a close. While many delegates were in disagreement on specifics, the Constitution as a whole left the majority of the delegates confident that the United States of America would survive as one nation, not many. But, writing the Constitution was setting the stage. Now, nine out of the thirteen states had to approve, and the battle for the fate of the Union had truly begun.

Last edited:
I really feel sorry for Matthews, he seemed the only White leader dedicated trying to deescalate things. Now it looks like race war will be dialled up even more with both the invasion by Georgia and the death of a moderate leader and his force.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
I really feel sorry for Matthews, he seemed the only White leader dedicated trying to deescalate things. Now it looks like race war will be dialled up even more with both the invasion by Georgia and the death of a moderate leader and his force.
This is probably going to be one of the worst periods of this timeline, actually. I'm getting my population estimates from the 1790 census, and there is a real possibility that between five and ten percent of America's population will be dead by the end. That's upwards of half of the population of the Carolinas, and without leaders like Matthews, there probably won't be a peaceful ending, but one with rivers of blood.

Or, things could somehow get better. Or worse, who knows? Well, I do, but I ain't telling yet.

So then, it seems America is on the verge of monarchy. But the question is will everyone stick around for it? New Jersey already walked out, so maybe they never accept the king Becoming the Republic of New Jersey? Likewise I could see some radical republicans going west to start anew. Heh, perhaps OTL equivalent of Texas rather than Dixie South has Yankee Republicans leading the charge?

But there seems to be something missing in this debate. Who shall sit the throne? What brow shall be deemed worthy of the crown? And what about succession? Dynasty? Elected? And if elected by the people directly or appointed in the government?

Seems these questions would be asked.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hi everybody, today isn't an actual update, but a bit of a meta-update. I don't know if these are discouraged or not, but as I created a mockup of the American Constitution ITTL, I figured I may not have explained to the best of my capacity what is going on, but it will spoil my master plan, so if you don't want spoilers for the whole timeline, it probably isn't the best to read this update at all.

When I first started working on this timeline, I was asking myself "What if the Republic failed, and the USA crowned a monarch?" Well, I wrote a large and somewhat crude backbone for a timeline based on this thought. But, when I went to write it up properly, I needed a POD. Now, the American Revolution was such a crazed house of cards that I didn't want to touch it for the POD, but that left a very small window for which things could cause opinion in America to go from Republican to Monarchical. Now, I knew about Shay's Rebellion, and the Prussian Scheme prior to working on this timeline, but I needed something more. So, initially, I had the idea of Shay's Rebellion being hijacked by a radical leader who would go full Robespierre, and kill hundreds or thousands of people. But, to be honest, that was kind of silly, and a bit unrealistic. So, I toned down Shay's Rebellion to Hopswood levels of crazy, and got a brilliant, horrible idea.

The Republic would burn. Not only would there be fighting in Massachusetts, but in the South, a slave rebellion, and in the West, British-backed Native Americans would revolt. Thus, proponents of a Republic would be under assault from three directions. Not only would there be fears that the American Republic would devolve into a wealth-seizing state, run by thugs, like the F.R.R. in Massachusetts did; but conflicts which start in one state, like the Carolinian Slave Revolt, could spread to multiple states, and cause mass anarchy. Settlers in the West, if the Republic couldn't protect them, might turn to other powers to protect them, or face being slaughtered by natives. And, to top it all off the British, angry over being beaten by "colonials," might very well come along to start pulling America apart bit by bit, and reincorporating America into their dominions.

But why a monarchy? After all, a strong Republic could do the same trick. Here is where people like Alexander Hamilton would come into the picture. Hamilton believed in a stronger government, and actually gave a several hour speech at the Constitutional Convention on how a strong leader, a king in all but name, would be the best leader. While his idea saw little traction IOTL, in this timeline, when the Union is collapsing, a strong government with strong leaders would be a logical outcome, and at the time, strong governments were monarchies. Even then, many of the smaller New England states would find a monarchy and strong government disagreeable. But, despite occasional claims that they simply won't go along with the Union, it would be impossible for only one or two New England states to strike it alone.

But, even then, fears over tyranny would be rampant. Thus, the reason for having two directors in tandem with the monarch. With three leaders, none of whom have power over the military, the Republic may have more power, but no individual could seize all power. And, with both a Bill of Rights, and guarantees to the States that they can choose both their governance, and that they would continue to have large amounts of power, even reluctant states would have a good reason to join. And, since each State gets to vote yea or nea on the monarchy, the monarchy might sneak up on the remainder of pro-Republic states and peoples. After all, "only" five states, Georgia, S. Carolina, N. Carolina, Massachusetts and New Hampshire are going to vote for it, and the Republic will continue. At least, that's likely what many like Benjamin Franklin, Roger Sherman, George Clinton and other Republicans think.

Anywho, that's my bit. A new update will be out soon, and for the first time, it will be international.

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Article. I.
Section. 1.

All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States, which shall consist of a Senate and House of Representatives.

Section. 2.
The House of Representatives shall be composed of Members chosen every second Year by the People of the several States, and the Electors in each State shall have the Qualifications requisite for Electors of the most numerous Branch of the State Legislature.

No Person shall be a Representative who shall not have attained to the Age of twenty five Years, and been seven Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State in which he shall be chosen.

Representatives and direct Taxes shall be apportioned among the several States which may be included within this Union, according to their respective Numbers, which shall be determined by adding to the whole Number of free Persons, including those bound to Service for a Term of Years, and excluding all other Persons who are not taxed. The actual Enumeration shall be made within three Years after the first Meeting of the Congress of the United States, and within every subsequent Term of ten Years, in such Manner as they shall by Law direct. The Number of Representatives shall not exceed one for every thirty Thousand, but each State shall have at Least one Representative; and until such enumeration shall be made, the State of New Hampshire shall be entitled to chuse three, Massachusetts eight, Rhode-Island and Providence Plantations one, Connecticut five, New-York six, New Jersey four, Pennsylvania eight, Delaware one, Maryland six, Virginia ten, North Carolina five, South Carolina five, and Georgia three.

When vacancies happen in the Representation from any State, the Executive Authority thereof shall issue Writs of Election to fill such Vacancies.

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers.

Section. 3.
The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, chosen by the Legislature thereof, for six Years; and each Senator shall have one Vote.

Immediately after they shall be assembled in Consequence of the first Election, they shall be divided as equally as may be into three Classes. The Seats of the Senators of the first Class shall be vacated at the Expiration of the second Year, of the second Class at the Expiration of the fourth Year, and of the third Class at the Expiration of the sixth Year, so that one third may be chosen every second Year; and if Vacancies happen by Resignation, or otherwise, during the Recess of the Legislature of any State, the Executive thereof may make temporary Appointments until the next Meeting of the Legislature, which shall then fill such Vacancies.

No Person shall be a Senator who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty Years, and been nine Years a Citizen of the United States, and who shall not, when elected, be an Inhabitant of that State for which he shall be chosen.

The Vice President of the United States shall be President of the Senate, but shall have no Vote, unless they be equally divided.

The Senate shall chuse their other Officers, and also a President; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

Section. 4.
The Times, Places and Manner of holding Elections for Senators and Representatives, shall be prescribed in each State by the Legislature thereof; but the Congress may at any time by Law make or alter such Regulations, except as to the Places of chusing Senators.

The Congress shall assemble at least once in every Year, and such Meeting shall be on the first Monday in December, unless they shall by Law appoint a different Day.

Section. 5.
Each House shall be the Judge of the Elections, Returns and Qualifications of its own Members, and a Majority of each shall constitute a Quorum to do Business; but a smaller Number may adjourn from day to day, and may be authorized to compel the Attendance of absent Members, in such Manner, and under such Penalties as each House may provide.

Each House may determine the Rules of its Proceedings, punish its Members for disorderly Behaviour, and, with the Concurrence of two thirds, expel a Member.

Each House shall keep a Journal of its Proceedings, and from time to time publish the same, excepting such Parts as may in their Judgment require Secrecy; and the Yeas and Nays of the Members of either House on any question shall be entered on the Journal.

Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.

Section. 6.
The Senators and Representatives shall receive a Compensation for their Services, to be ascertained by Law, and paid out of the Treasury of the United States. They shall in all Cases, except Treason, Felony and Breach of the Peace, be privileged from Arrest during their Attendance at the Session of their respective Houses, and in going to and returning from the same; and for any Speech or Debate in either House, they shall not be questioned in any other Place.

No Senator or Representative shall, during the Time for which he was elected, be appointed to any civil Office under the Authority of the United States, which shall have been created, or the Emoluments whereof shall have been encreased during such time; and no Person holding any Office under the United States, shall be a Member of either House during his Continuance in Office.

Section. 7.
All Bills for raising Revenue shall originate in the House of Representatives; but the Senate may propose or concur with Amendments as on other Bills.

All Navigation Acts shall originate in the House of Representatives, and shall require the approval of two-thirds of representatives present to pass into law.

Every Bill which shall have passed the House of Representatives and the Senate, shall, before it become a Law, be presented to the Director of the People, and the Director of the State; If either Director approves, he shall sign it, but if not he shall return it, with his Objections to that House in which it shall have originated, who shall enter the Objections at large on their Journal, and proceed to reconsider it. If after such Reconsideration two thirds of that House shall agree to pass the Bill, it shall be sent, together with the Objections, to the other House, by which it shall likewise be reconsidered, and if approved by two thirds of that House, it shall become a Law. But in all such Cases the Votes of both Houses shall be determined by yeas and Nays, and the Names of the Persons voting for and against the Bill shall be entered on the Journal of each House respectively. If any Bill shall not be returned by the President within ten Days (Sundays excepted) after it shall have been presented to him, the Same shall be a Law, in like Manner as if he had signed it, unless the Congress by their Adjournment prevent its Return, in which Case it shall not be a Law.

Every Order, Resolution, or Vote to which the Concurrence of the Senate and House of Representatives may be necessary (except on a question of Adjournment) shall be presented to the Director of the People, or of the State; and before the Same shall take Effect, shall be approved by him, or being disapproved by him, shall be repassed by two thirds of the Senate and House of Representatives, according to the Rules and Limitations prescribed in the Case of a Bill.

Section. 8.
The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow Money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization, and uniform Laws on the subject of Bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin Money, regulate the Value thereof, and of foreign Coin, and fix the Standard of Weights and Measures;

To provide for the Punishment of counterfeiting the Securities and current Coin of the United States;

To establish Post Offices and post Roads;

To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

To constitute Tribunals inferior to the supreme Court;

To define and punish Piracies and Felonies committed on the high Seas, and Offences against the Law of Nations;

To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water;

To raise and support Armies, but no Appropriation of Money to that Use shall be for a longer Term than two Years;

To provide and maintain a Navy;

To make Rules for the Government and Regulation of the land and naval Forces;

To provide for calling forth the Militia to execute the Laws of the Union, suppress Insurrections and repel Invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the Militia, and for governing such Part of them as may be employed in the Service of the United States, reserving to the States respectively, the Appointment of the Officers, and the Authority of training the Militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive Legislation in all Cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten Miles square) as may, by Cession of particular States, and the Acceptance of Congress, become the Seat of the Government of the United States, and to exercise like Authority over all Places purchased by the Consent of the Legislature of the State in which the Same shall be, for the Erection of Forts, Magazines, Arsenals, dock-Yards, and other needful Buildings;—And

All powers of no Consequence to Public and Private safety, and the powers not delegated to the Government of the United States by the Constitution shall be granted to the individual states; with which they may do as they see necessary and proper.

Section. 9.
The Migration or Importation of such Persons as any of the States now existing shall think proper to admit, shall not be prohibited by the Congress prior to the Year one thousand eight hundred and eight, but a Tax or duty may be imposed on such Importation, not exceeding ten dollars for each Person.

The Privilege of the Writ of Habeas Corpus shall not be suspended, unless when in Cases of Rebellion or Invasion the public Safety may require it.

No Bill of Attainder or ex post facto Law shall be passed.

No Capitation, or other direct, Tax shall be laid, unless in Proportion to the Census or enumeration herein before directed to be taken.

No Tax or Duty shall be laid on Articles exported from any State.

No Preference shall be given by any Regulation of Commerce or Revenue to the Ports of one State over those of another: nor shall Vessels bound to, or from, one State, be obliged to enter, clear, or pay Duties in another.

No Money shall be drawn from the Treasury, but in Consequence of Appropriations made by Law; and a regular Statement and Account of the Receipts and Expenditures of all public Money shall be published from time to time.

Section. 10.
No State shall enter into any Treaty, Alliance, or Confederation; grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal; coin Money; emit Bills of Credit; make any Thing but gold and silver Coin a Tender in Payment of Debts; pass any Bill of Attainder, ex post facto Law, or Law impairing the Obligation of Contracts.

No State shall, without the Consent of the Congress, lay any Imposts or Duties on Imports or Exports, except what may be absolutely necessary for executing it's inspection Laws: and the net Produce of all Duties and Imposts, laid by any State on Imports or Exports, shall be for the Use of the Treasury of the United States; and all such Laws shall be subject to the Revision and Controul of the Congress.

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

Article. II.
Section. 1.

The executive Power shall be vested in the Director of the People, Director of the State and Director of the Armed Forces. Each shall hold his Office during the Term of six Years, and, be elected, as follows:

All Free Persons shall, in their respective States, vote by Ballot for a Person, and have the Ballot be received by an Official of the State. The Official shall make a List of all the Persons voted for, and of the Number of Votes for each; which List they shall sign and certify, and transmit sealed to the Seat of the Government of the United States, directed to the President of the Senate. The President of the Senate shall, in the Presence of the Senate and House of Representatives, open all the Certificates, and the Votes shall then be counted. The Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the President, if such Number be a Majority of the whole Number of Free Persons; and if there be more than one who have such Majority, and have an equal Number of Votes, then the House of Representatives shall immediately chuse by Ballot one of them for Director of the People; and if no Person have a Majority, then from the five highest on the List the said House shall in like Manner chuse the Director of the People.

The House of Representatives shall chuse by Ballot a Free Person for Director of the State; the Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the Director of the State. If there be more than one who have such Majority, then a new Ballot shall be cast with only the Persons with the two largest Shares of the Ballot.

The Senate shall chuse by Ballot a Free Person for Director of the Armed Forces; the Person having the greatest Number of Votes shall be the Director of the Armed Forces. If there be more than one who have such Majority, then a new Ballot shall be cast with only the Persons with the two largest Shares of the Ballot.

No Person except a Citizen of the United States, shall be eligible to the Office of Directors of the People; neither shall any Person be eligible to that Office who shall not have attained to the Age of thirty five Years, and been fourteen Years a Resident within the United States.

In Case of the Removal of a Director from Office, or of his Death, Resignation, or Inability to discharge the Powers and Duties of the said Office, the Same shall devolve on a member of the House of Representatives who shall be chosen by Ballot, and such Officer shall act accordingly, until the Disability be removed, or a Director shall be elected.

The President shall, at stated Times, receive for his Services, a Compensation, which shall neither be encreased nor diminished during the Period for which he shall have been elected, and he shall not receive within that Period any other Emolument from the United States, or any of them.

Before he enter on the Execution of his Office, he shall take the following Oath or Affirmation:—"I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the Office of Director of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States."

Section. 2.
The powers of the Directors shall be Distributed accordingly.

The Director of the Armed Forces shall be Commander in Chief of the Army and Navy of the United States, and of the Militia of the several States, when called into the actual Service of the United States; he may require the Opinion, in writing, of the principal Officer in each of the executive Departments, upon any Subject relating to the Duties of their respective Offices.

The Director of the State shall have Power, by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, to make Treaties, provided two thirds of the Senators present concur; and he shall nominate, and by and with the Advice and Consent of the Senate, shall appoint Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

The Director of the People shall have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offences against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment. He shall also have the Power to appoint Judges of the supreme Court, and all other Officers of the United States, whose Appointments are not herein otherwise provided for, and which shall be established by Law: but the Congress may by Law vest the Appointment of such inferior Officers, as they think proper, in the President alone, in the Courts of Law, or in the Heads of Departments.

Both the Director of the State, and Director of the People shall have the power to issue orders that allow for the Execution of the Law as approved by Congress:— should they disagree, then either Director can strike down an Order of the other Director.

No Director shall be elected for more than One term.

Section. 3.
The Director of the State shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

Section. 4.
The Director of the State, Director of the People and all civil Officers of the United States, shall be removed from Office on Impeachment for, and Conviction of, Treason, Bribery, or other high Crimes and Misdemeanors.

Article III.

Section. 1.
All states at the time of Adoption of this Constitution shall also vote on whether the form of Government shall be Republican or Monarchical in nature.

Section. 2.
Should the States choose a Republican form of government, then the contents of this Article shall be Defunct.

Section. 3.

Should the States choose a Monarchical form of government, then the powers of the Monarch shall originate in the People of the United States, and subject to removal by the People should the Duties of the Office of Monarch, and the People be held in Contempt.

The powers of the Monarch are as follows:

The Monarch can, with approval of either the Director of the People or the Director of the State issue Orders on the Execution of the Laws; and should either the Director of the People or the Director of the State have struck down the Order of the other Director, the Monarch can prevent the Order from being struck down.

The Monarch shall have no Power that is not stated in this Constitution.

Section. 4.

If the Office of Monarch is vacant, Congress shall Appoint a Regent, who will serve in the Office of Monarch until a replacement has been chosen. Once a Monarch has been appointed by Congress, the Monarch shall serve in their Office for life, and their successor shall be chosen by Primogeniture, and must be approved by Congress.

Article IV.
Section. 1.

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court, and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold their Offices during good Behaviour, and shall, at stated Times, receive for their Services, a Compensation, which shall not be diminished during their Continuance in Office.

Section. 2.
The judicial Power shall extend to all Cases, in Law and Equity, arising under this Constitution, the Laws of the United States, and Treaties made, or which shall be made, under their Authority;—to all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls;—to all Cases of admiralty and maritime Jurisdiction;—to Controversies to which the United States shall be a Party;—to Controversies between two or more States;— between a State and Citizens of another State,—between Citizens of different States,—between Citizens of the same State claiming Lands under Grants of different States, and between a State, or the Citizens thereof, and foreign States, Citizens or Subjects.

In all Cases affecting Ambassadors, other public Ministers and Consuls, and those in which a State shall be Party, the supreme Court shall have original Jurisdiction. In all the other Cases before mentioned, the supreme Court shall have appellate Jurisdiction, both as to Law and Fact, with such Exceptions, and under such Regulations as the Congress shall make.

The Trial of all Crimes, except in Cases of Impeachment, shall be by Jury; and such Trial shall be held in the State where the said Crimes shall have been committed; but when not committed within any State, the Trial shall be at such Place or Places as the Congress may by Law have directed.

Section. 3.
Treason against the United States, shall consist only in levying War against them, or in adhering to their Enemies, giving them Aid and Comfort. No Person shall be convicted of Treason unless on the Testimony of two Witnesses to the same overt Act, or on Confession in open Court.

The Congress shall have Power to declare the Punishment of Treason, but no Attainder of Treason shall work Corruption of Blood, or Forfeiture except during the Life of the Person attainted.

Article. V.
Section. 1.

In the Event of Extreme crisis, then a Free Person may be elected by Congress to serve as Dictator of the United States.

Section. 2.
The Dictator shall have control over the Army and the Navy; and have the Power to do whatever is Necessary and Proper to Protect the United States from the crisis for which they were Elected.

Section. 3.
Six months after being Elected, the Powers the Dictator has been granted shall revert back to the State.

No Person may be elected Dictator more than once in a period of Ten years.

Article. VI.
Section. 1.

Full Faith and Credit shall be given in each State to the public Acts, Records, and judicial Proceedings of every other State. And the Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof.

Section. 2.
The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

A Person charged in any State with Treason, Felony, or other Crime, who shall flee from Justice, and be found in another State, shall on Demand of the executive Authority of the State from which he fled, be delivered up, to be removed to the State having Jurisdiction of the Crime.

No Person held to Service or Labour in one State, under the Laws thereof, escaping into another, shall, in Consequence of any Law or Regulation therein, be discharged from such Service or Labour, but shall be delivered up on Claim of the Party to whom such Service or Labour may be due.

Section. 3.
New States may be admitted by the Congress into this Union; but no new State shall be formed or erected within the Jurisdiction of any other State; nor any State be formed by the Junction of two or more States, or Parts of States, without the Consent of the Legislatures of the States concerned as well as of the Congress.

The Congress shall have Power to dispose of and make all needful Rules and Regulations respecting the Territory or other Property belonging to the United States; and nothing in this Constitution shall be so construed as to Prejudice any Claims of the United States, or of any particular State.

Section. 4.
The United States shall guarantee to every State in this Union to protect each of them against Invasion; and on Application of the Legislature, or of the Executive (when the Legislature cannot be convened), against domestic Violence.

Article. VII.
The Congress, whenever two thirds of both Houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose Amendments to this Constitution, or, on the Application of the Legislatures of two thirds of the several States, shall call a Convention for proposing Amendments, which, in either Case, shall be valid to all Intents and Purposes, as Part of this Constitution, when ratified by the Legislatures of three fourths of the several States, or by Conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other Mode of Ratification may be proposed by the Congress; Provided that no Amendment which may be made prior to the Year One thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any Manner affect the first and fourth Clauses in the Ninth Section of the first Article; and that no State, without its Consent, shall be deprived of its equal Suffrage in the Senate.

Article. VIII.
All Debts contracted and Engagements entered into, before the Adoption of this Constitution, shall be as valid against the United States under this Constitution, as under the Confederation.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States.

Article. IX.
The Rights and Powers guaranteed to all Citizens of the United States are as follows:

There shall be no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

There shall be no law abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press;

The people shall have the right to peaceably assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances;

The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed;

No soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law;

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized;

No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a grand jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the militia, when in actual service in time of war or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offense to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law;

In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance of counsel for his defense;

In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law;

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted;

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.

Article. X.
The Ratification of the Conventions of nine States, shall be sufficient for the Establishment of this Constitution between the States so ratifying the Same.

Last edited:
A Trip to the Dutch Republic

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hi everybody, I'm back with a short update this time. Turns out, somewhat obscure foreign events tend to be harder to research, especially if one can't read the right (or any) foreign languages. But, there will be more, hopefully sooner rather than later.

"The rise of the Dutch Republic must ever be regarded as one of the leading events of modern times."
--John Lothrop Motley

As the Carolinian Slave Revolt burned in America, the Dutch Republic was also suffering from political disarray. The Dutch, inspired by the American Revolution and the writings of Joan Derk van der Capellen tot den Pol, began agitating for the removal of the hereditary Stadtholderate that had ruled the Dutch Republic for centuries. Although the period of unrest, the Patriottentijd, had begun in 1780, it hadn’t truly begun to heat up until late 1786 and early 1787 when Dutch republicans (Patriots) had begun to seize larger control of the Netherlands, and had even forced Stadholder William V to leave the capital in The Hague, to Nijmegen.

This would change on June 28th, 1787. Princess-consort Frederika Sophia Wilhelmina, wife of William V, rode towards the Hague, planning to try to convince the Dutch Patriots to allow William back into the Hague. Near Schoonhoven, as the carriage sped down the road alongside the Lek river, the driver of the carriage swerved around a passerby on the road. As the carriage swerved, the right wheels slid down into a small ditch alongside the road, upending the carriage. Dazed, but largely unhurt, the driver managed to pick himself up, and check on Princess Wilhelmina. Climbing onto the carriage, the Driver looked in, only to see a horrible sight. Wilhelmina lay still in the carriage, her neck at an unnatural angle. The Princess-consort of the Dutch Republic was dead.

Unfortunately for William and his Orangists, William without his wife wasn’t a very good leader, and the Patriots knew it. As news of Wilhelmina’s death spread, Dutch Patriot Militia, or Exercitiegenootschap rose up across the Netherlands. While the Orangists fought stubbornly, Patriots Exercitiegenootschap defeated the Orangist army in Hattem, as it tried to march into Patriot held Holland, on July 21st. On July 24th, the retreating Orangist army defeated a smaller Patriot army at Harderwijk, only to be forced out of the city the following day by Exercitiegenootschap. Finally, eight days later in a battle near Apeldoorn, the Orangist army was decisively defeated by Patriot forces.

Realizing his defeat was at hand, William fled the Netherlands, going to the brother of his dead wife, King Frederick William II of Prussia. The deposed Stadtholder had heard from his wife that Frederick might be willing to provide assistance, if he were given justification. Unfortunately for William, Frederick didn’t receive him with open arms. The fact that his sister had died on a mission for William’s benefit, one which William wouldn’t undertake himself, insulted Frederick. Thus, not only was William denied assistance in regaining his position in the Netherlands, but Frederick refused to even allow William to stay in Prussia.

However, as William left Berlin on August 17th, a ship arrived in Neuzen. Departing from that ship was a short man with a withered arm and a plan. This time, his plan wasn’t just a half-dreamt belief. Now it was developed, and all the man needed to apply it was the right time. And a good translator.

George Takes Georgia

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Guess what? While I was researching Georgian politicians, I found a disturbing trend. Roughly one out of every three Georgians in this era was named George. I'm glad I'm using primarily last names, or else this update would resemble the Republic of Dave from Fallout.

“I intend to make Georgia howl.”
--William Tecumseh Sherman

With the victory against Governor Matthews and his army, the Republic of New Africa cemented itself as the principal force in the Carolinian Slave Revolt. However, despite only controlling a swathe of South Carolina, William Smalls decided to follow up Matthews invasion with an invasion of Georgia. On May 27th, the New African army closed in on Augusta.

While the Kannifo expected a quick victory, the Georgian government hadn’t been idle since Matthews’ disastrous campaign. Defenses had been erected, what remained of the local militia had been strengthened by militia from deeper within Georgia, and all black slaves within fifty miles of Augusta had been “evacuated.” So, when the New African army attacked, the Georgian defenders were able to successfully defend against the onslaught, despite being outnumbered six to one.

The next day, the New African army attacked Augusta again, and once more failed to take the city. This time, the New African losses were far worse than that of the prior day, with nearly two thousand casualties. Thus, instead of ordering yet another assault on the city, Smalls decided to simply starve Augusta out. For four weeks, Augusta held out, and an attempt by Georgian militia to break out of the city failed on June 24th. A fire, that had begun in the attempt, forced the city to surrender the following day. The fire would burn over half of Augusta, and five hundred Augustans died in the blaze.

With the loss of Augusta, Georgia began to descend into disarray. On July 7th, much of the Georgian government joined in with a number of other well-to-do, and fled from Georgia entirely, taking a ship to Virginia. However, a rump General Assembly remained, assembling in Louisville. The rump Assembly granted emergency powers to George Walton. Walton was determined to save Georgia, but the state simply lacked sufficient manpower to fight the New African army. So, with this knowledge in mind, Walton took an option that Matthews had proposed only months before: arm the slaves.

The General Assembly took it just as well as they had when Matthews proposed the idea, and promptly voted to remove Walton’s emergency powers. However, Walton responded to this attempt by stating that the assembly didn’t have the quorum needed to vote on laws. Now, this was somewhat duplicitous, as the Assembly had actually gained a member since giving Walton his emergency powers. Due to this, the Assembly ordered Walton arrested. Walton was outside Louisville, with a small number of militia, preparing to form a larger army. When the Assembly’s men arrived to arrest Walton, they were sent back by the militia. One of the Assembly’s men was shot, however, and while he survived, the Assembly was outraged.

On June 19th, three hundred militiamen arrived in Louisville, expecting to meet with reinforcements in route to the border. Instead, they were directed by George Handley, a member of the Assembly, to force Walton’s arrest. Handley led the militia out to Walton’s camp, and demanded Walton’s surrender. Walton refused, and after a short standoff, Handley ordered his men to attack Walton’s forces.

Unfortunately for Handley, the militia he commanded were worn out from their travels to Louisville, and less trained than those Walton commanded. As such, Handley’s forces largely scattered after Walton’s forces fired their first volley. Thus, the “Battle” of Louisville was perhaps the least bloody battle that occurred in 1787, with only five casualties. After the Battle, Walton and his army chased Handley, and the few of his forces who hadn’t already fled, back to Louisville, and captured Handley and the Assembly. Now, Walton was in charge of Georgia, and he was going to save it -- or die trying.

Well my compliments to Handley for his determination. While others flee or stay the losing course, he seems to have been forced into a role of Caesar. Noe to see if he will be remembered as a hero or villain. Triumph or Tragedy?

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Well my compliments to Handley for his determination. While others flee or stay the losing course, he seems to have been forced into a role of Caesar. Noe to see if he will be remembered as a hero or villain. Triumph or Tragedy?
Whether Handley will be seen as a defeated hero depends on whether or not Walton can save Georgia. If Walton loses, Handley will be a tragic figure, defeated while trying to stop a madman. If Walton wins, then Handley will be a villain, willing to sacrifice Georgia to the New Africans in a bid for power.

Maybe, it'll be made into a TV series, George vs. George.

Between the Regulator Rebellion, the slave uprising and Walton effectively making himself Warlord of Georgia there's no way that the current US government will survive. And this is only Part I! Part II being the aftermath of the chaos and the lead-up to establishing a kingdom.
Whether Handley will be seen as a defeated hero depends on whether or not Walton can save Georgia. If Walton loses, Handley will be a tragic figure, defeated while trying to stop a madman. If Walton wins, then Handley will be a villain, willing to sacrifice Georgia to the New Africans in a bid for power.

Maybe, it'll be made into a TV series, George vs. George.

Frankly, with how things are happening that'd be like an early American version of Game of Thrones. The intrigue and violence would be more than enough to establish a hit television drama.

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Between the Regulator Rebellion, the slave uprising and Walton effectively making himself Warlord of Georgia there's no way that the current US government will survive. And this is only Part I! Part II being the aftermath of the chaos and the lead-up to establishing a kingdom.

Personally, I would say that Part II will actually be Regulator Two, Electric Boogaloo, Robespierre is going to behead you, but we aren't quite there yet.

Frankly, with how things are happening that'd be like an early American version of Game of Thrones. The intrigue and violence would be more than enough to establish a hit television drama.

House Walton refuses to obey the false king in New York! Long live George Walton, King in the South!

Sorry I got mixed up, I meant to compliment Walton. The assembly seemed to have no plan and Walton as you say is actually doing something to save Georgia.

"While the great and powerful meet in the Convention, the South is burning."

Quite frankly, I can't see the slaves taking up arms in favor of their owners. Not when there's a ready made army of them liberating them....

Schnozzberry

Gone Fishin'
Hi everybody, I'm back. I probably won't be able to update as much, as I've got a 7 day/week job over the summer. But, while I haven't quite finished the next update, I have created a flag to go along with the next update which should be out tonight/tomorrow.

But, the main reason I'm posting here is to ask a question. Which dynasty is better, Hohenzollern or Bourbon? This will be important Soon™

franklin-battle-flag.png