Death of a Republic (A monarchical USA timeline)

How is the timeline so far?

• It's good

Votes: 198 64.5%
  • It's ok

Votes: 62 20.2%
  • It's bad

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • It's really bad

Votes: 2 0.7%
  • It's gone to the Alien Space Bats

Votes: 42 13.7%

• Total voters
A Congress of Slave States
Hi everyone. After having realized that North Carolina isn't getting enough hate yet, I decided to lay on some for them. After all, it isn't just South Carolina that's burning. Sorry this update is a bit short though, I've written a bit far into the future with these past two updates in comparison to the ones about the New Africans/Indians, so I've got to cool my jets. Something is coming that'll kick the butterflies into high gear though, and I want to get all plot threads to the same point.

“I have come to the conclusion that one useless man is a disgrace, that two become a lawfirm, and that three or more become a congress.”
--John Adams

As the new Constitution had begun spreading across the Union, a new convention was forming in Richmond. Opening on August 1st, and consisting of the southern governments in exile, members of the Virginian, Marylander, Delewarian and New Jerseyite governments, and several other prominent notables; the Richmond Grand Congress was going to solve the slave rebellion. During the opening assembly, Richard Henry Lee was elected president of the Congress.

The first few days of the Congress were slow going. Delegates from the governments in exile demanded immediate military and monetary support from the other states, and to be put back in charge of their states. The delegates from the stable states, on the other hand, wanted to be patient and what for the rebellion to die back somewhat, as well as to place the failed states under “protection governments.”

On August 16th, however, a new wrench was thrown into the proceedings. After the cutting of New Bern from North Carolinian control, Daniel Morgan, the head of the Virginian military forces in North Carolina (roughly 20,000 men at this point), began consolidating power in what remained of white-controlled North Carolina. However, the North Carolinian militias continued skirmishing with the New Africans, which led to Greensville being razed by New Africans on August 12th. As such, on August 16th, Morgan, acting on orders from Virginia, ordered all North Carolinian militiamen to submit to Virginian control or else face being arrested.

Unsurprisingly, this was unpopular with the North Carolinians, and all members of one of the governments in exile. Upon hearing the news of Morgan’s takeover on August 19th, the members of the exiled government at the Richmond Congress began a filibuster that would last three days. On August 23rd, however, filibuster ended, and the Congress voted to overrule Morgan “until such time that a plan agreed upon by all the states is formed.” Despite this victory, this incident cast doubts in the minds of many members of the Congress on how effective the governments in exile would be.

As the controversy caused by Morgan began to be eclipsed by the controversy over the monarchy question, representatives of the government of Franklin arrived in Richmond. While the representatives were eager to get Franklin recognized as a legitimate state, they were more concerned with what to do with the flood of refugees into the state. On October 8th, the Franklinites were able to speak before the Richmond Congress. Much to the surprise of the Franklinites, the governor of North Carolina, Samuel Johnston motioned to recognize Franklin, and provide assistance, stating that:

“In this current war, we are in need of all who will help us fight these damned Negroes. While I might not have thought of these men [The Franklinites] or their government in good terms but six months ago, I know the circumstances have changed. We fight a menace that will tear us asunder if it is not put down… I say it simply: If the Negroes invaded Hell, I would invite Satan himself to sit in this Congress.”

Also, one thing I noticed. The views are OVER NINE THOUSAND! In honor of this memetic occasion, I present to you all, a spoiler of things to come.
Every man a kingfish.PNG

Also, one thing I noticed. The views are OVER NINE THOUSAND! In honor of this memetic occasion, I present to you all, a spoiler of things to come.
Is there a cut-off date for OTL people being born in TTL? Because I find it hard to believe that the Kingfish would exist in an America that was fundamentally changed over a hundred years before he was even born. I can see Lincoln maybe existing in some form, but not Long. I can see a populist politician like Long rising to power, but not Long himself.

And honestly with all the bits the US is losing it might be interesting to have a series of maps documenting the territorial evolution of the OTL continental US.

Last edited:
Is there a cut-off date for OTL people being born in TTL? Because I find it hard to believe that the Kingfish would exist in an America that was fundamentally changed over a hundred years before he was even born. I can see Lincoln maybe existing in some form, but not Long. I can see a populist politician like Long rising to power, but not Long himself.

And honestly with all the bits the US is losing it might be interesting to have a series of maps documenting the territorial evolution of the OTL continental US.

I know this is frowned upon somewhat, but if there is a person who does X in this timeline (in Huey's case, being a populist leader in the South), then I'll use a person from OTL if it fits, even though that requires killing some butterflies. Part of the fun of alternate history is, in my opinion, imagining OTL people in the alternate timeline. I'll certainly create people like I did with Hopswood, but I will draw upon people born post POD as well. I would just find it less fun reading about Dewey Short, the populist leader of the South than I would Huey Long, the populist leader of the South. Hope my somewhat coherent response makes sense.

In regards to a map sequence, I will certainly have them, but I've been spoiling a lot, and that would be the mother of all spoilers at the moment.

I know this is frowned upon somewhat, but if there is a person who does X in this timeline (in Huey's case, being a populist leader in the South), then I'll use a person from OTL if it fits, even though that requires killing some butterflies. Part of the fun of alternate history is, in my opinion, imagining OTL people in the alternate timeline. I'll certainly create people like I did with Hopswood, but I will draw upon people born post POD as well. I would just find it less fun reading about Dewey Short, the populist leader of the South than I would Huey Long, the populist leader of the South. Hope my somewhat coherent response makes sense.

In regards to a map sequence, I will certainly have them, but I've been spoiling a lot, and that would be the mother of all spoilers at the moment.
Fair enough. I understand perfectly. I just thought that using someone born a hundred years in the future was stretching it a bit. Naturally some figures like Lincoln would have their careers be a bit different in this timeline. I'm eager to see how historical figures will be affected by the course of the timeline

Post the maps when you feel it's appropriate, not before. I'd be perfectly happy to wait for them.

Well recognizing Franklin at least is a good move for the RGC.

Honestly I could see raised eyebrows at the filibuster. By fleeing even the White controlled part of the state the exiled government really only has as much authority as their host deem fit to give them. Honestly I could see a significant chunk of white NCers having no great issue with Richmond taking control so ling as it ensured more hep against the rebels.

Heh, like the quote. Where is Adams currently again? Did he get recalled for the Convention or is he in Europe?

Post the maps when you feel it's appropriate, not before. I'd be perfectly happy to wait for them.

Bad idea for me. I think WW2 propaganda and Huey Long are appropriate for 1787. Perhaps I should do some "artistic" timeline that jumps back and forth in the continuity.

Heh, like the quote. Where is Adams currently again? Did he get recalled for the Convention or is he in Europe?

Adams is still in Britain, but he will return soonish. Things are going to happen thanks to that one little change in the Netherlands, and Adams is going to have to book it back home.

Hi everyone, sorry this isn't an update, but while I was planning on threadmarking this timeline, I noticed the fact that I am actually an illiterate writer. Would people be fine if I tweaked some of what I wrote to make it more readable than Heart of Darkness? Also, if I wanted to add a table of contents to this timeline, does anyone have any ideas on how to do it?

Hi everyone, sorry this isn't an update, but while I was planning on threadmarking this timeline, I noticed the fact that I am actually an illiterate writer. Would people be fine if I tweaked some of what I wrote to make it more readable than Heart of Darkness? Also, if I wanted to add a table of contents to this timeline, does anyone have any ideas on how to do it?
I don't mind rewrites so long as we can see the creation of the new American kingdom soon.

Massachusetts Doesn't Set Itself on Fire Again
Hi everyone, I heard that's people want to see an American king soon, and of course, I respond to such desires with an update on elections in Massachusetts. Makes sense, right? Also, I am slowly editing earlier posts (only got two so far) for grammar/legibility. I don't know how I was so illiterate before, or how y'all put up with it. Thanks for sticking it out so far, I'm going to work on my illiteracy.

“The difference between a democracy and a dictatorship is that in a democracy you vote first and take orders later; in a dictatorship you don't have to waste your time voting.”
--Charles Bukowski

Following the announcement that the former legislature of the F.R.R. of Massachusetts were to be tried for treason, a number of voices began to speak out against Bowdoin. While there were few protests (unsurprising considering Massachusetts had a number of New York soldiers keeping the peace), the public outcry was great enough that Bowdoin agreed to postpone the trials until August. This extra time would allow for a more thorough combing of documents from the former Regulator government, as well as time for the former members of the legislature to find lawyers. Finding lawyers for the Regulators would prove to be difficult for the former legislature, as many of the lawyers in Boston and Massachusetts as a whole were upper class and resented the Regulators. Luckily for the legislature’s members, Roger Sherman volunteered to defend them without any payment despite his presence at the Constitutional Convention.

As June turned to July and the papers of the former Regulator government continued to be sifted through, the details of the meeting between the former Regulator Executive Taylor Hammond and Lord St. Helens was discovered. News of the plan for British aid to Massachusetts spread across America to overwhelming outrage. Now, not only were the British encouraging Indian attacks in the West, but they were trying to tear states away from the Union! This fueled anti-English sentiment to new heights, and over the next few months, British traders would suffer attacks by Americans.

As August rolled around, debates about the upcoming trial began to share with debates over the Constitution question. While the Constitution was seen in a positive light in Massachusetts, especially with the provision assigning a number of powers to the states and the rights guaranteed to the people. However, the question of whether or not Massachusetts should support a Republic or a King was highly controversial. Many of the poor and debt holding population were Republican, and many of the more wealthy population wanted a Monarchy to prevent another Hopswood from coming to power.

The debate on the Constitution took a brief backseat on August 16th, as the trial began. For two long, grueling weeks, Roger Sherman defended the legislative Regulators from every attack and criticism in the court in daily sessions. Special newspapers spread the minutes of the trials to crowds of Bostonians, and every day the court was packed with spectators. Five separate lawyers stood for the prosecution. On August 30th, the trial came to an end and the news was announced to an eager crowd surrounding the courthouse. Despite the jury being entirely from Boston’s upper class and the judge being one of Boston’s most conservative, Roger Sherman saved the legislative Regulators.

The people of Massachusetts were stunned, the elite were mortified and Bowdoin was infuriated. What should have been a political victory for Bowdoin that (in his mind) would have cemented his victory in the upcoming election was now a humiliating defeat for his government. Despite this, hope wasn't entirely lost for Bowdoin. The upcoming election turned into a four candidate race between Bowdoin, John Hancock, Daniel Shays and Roger Sherman serving as candidates.

When he returned to Massachusetts, Roger Sherman hadn't intended on running for a political office. However, after his defense of the former Regulators, a number of Massachusettsans from the mercantile and middle class feared that Massachusetts’ government would be seized by populists. Recognizing that Bowdoin was about as likely to win as George III, the bourgeois convinced Sherman to accept being their last minute candidate for governor.

Daniel Shays on the other hand took a direct mandate from the people to run for the governorship. After his release from the Regulator prison, Shays had planned on returning home to a quiet life. Unfortunately for Shays, he attracted tales of heroism, valor and honor and had become incredibly popular with Massachusetts’ lower classes. Reluctantly, Shays accepted the nomination. Shays’ candidacy caused some stir in Massachusetts as Shays had been the leader of a rebellion months prior, and now he was running for office! A common counter argument to such notion was that the other three candidates were rebels against royalist Massachusetts, yet they were running for office in Massachusetts as well.

Similarly to Shays, John Hancock drew much of his support from Massachusetts’ lower class. Unlike Shays, Hancock’s devotion to the people was often doubted during his candidacy due to his wealth (Hancock was worth about 7/10ths of a percent of the USA’s entire economy) and the fact that he had fled Massachusetts when the Regulators took charge. Despite this, Hancock was relatively popular due to his prior governorship of Massachusetts.

James Bowdoin II was of all candidates, the least likely to win. His conservative leadership was unpopular with a restless state that had recently tried their hardest to overthrow him. Despite this, he did see almost universal support from the upper classes of Massachusetts, and his relaxing of some harsher measures did give Bowdoin a small chance to win.

The election went surprisingly well for a state that had just suffered two governments being overthrown within a year prior. No incidents of political violence were recorded as the election proceeded. On September 28th, the election results finally were compiled, and the fate of Massachusetts wavered in the balance, and the margin of victory was dreadfully slim. By two votes, Daniel Shays had beat Roger Sherman and became governor of Massachusetts on October 3rd. With the Constitutional question still hanging in the air, and the crisis of debt for poor farmers not having been resolved, Governor Shays faced a difficult governorship. But, Clark Hopswood was gone so how bad could it truly be?

Hey everyone, I'm working on the next update, but in the meantime, I've got a question for you all. Hypothetically, if the Dutch Republic were to be beaten to a bloody pulp due to a foolish maneuver by the new government, which of the provinces/regions would you like to see become an independent nation? I've been playing around with a Friesland/Drenthe/Groningen secession in the North or a Brabant/Zeeland/Flanders secession in the South, but if you guys have ideas, I would love to hear them.

EDIT: Fun fact, this timeline is currently within the top .9% of timelines in terms of number of replies on this forum. I think this makes me part of the dreaded one percent that the media makes so much of a fuss about.

Last edited:

Skallagrim

Banned
Hey everyone, I'm working on the next update, but in the meantime, I've got a question for you all. Hypothetically, if the Dutch Republic were to be beaten to a bloody pulp due to a foolish maneuver by the new government, which of the provinces/regions would you like to see become an independent nation? I've been playing around with a Friesland/Drenthe/Groningen secession in the North or a Brabant/Zeeland/Flanders secession in the South, but if you guys have ideas, I would love to hear them.

It depends on the exact political circumstances, of course, but in general, a southern - catholic - region trying to split off is far more likely at this juncture. Frisia had long been fiercely independent, but that time was long forgotten. Frisian nationalism only resurged in OTL in the latter half of the 20th century, and even then, the existence of a Frisian National Party notwithstanding, it's mostly a regionalist/localist affair. (Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to denigrate Frisian nationalism: I love decentralism and secession, and if the Frisians truly want independence, I for one wish them all the best.) As for Groningen and Drenthe, those are Low Saxon-speaking areas. The Saxons were also fiercely independent way back when, but that's even longer ago than it is for the Frisians. There is no Saxon independent movement to speak of in the Netherlands of OTL (and I should know; I live in the relevant region, and if it existed, I'd join it).

On the other hand, by the timeframe we're discussing in this TL, most of the Netherlands do still speak their own local languages and dialects, so if a split were to be forced for political reasons largely unrelated to anarchronistic concerns of ethnic nationalism, I do think a 'Frisian' or 'Saxon' national identity could quite easily be crafted post facto. Critical factors would be to standardise the regional language and to start teaching it in every school. (Ironically, this rough period - specifically the French occupation - introduced many elements of that practice to the Netherlands, with the key difference being that Dutch was introduced everywhere, thus beginning the decline of regional languages and bringing ever more unity to a previously confederal amalgation of provinces.)

So that might be interesting, but it would be a long shot. The more probable option is that the southern catholics - never quite happy to be essentially second-class citizens - would try to gain independence. We eventually had the Belgian Revolution in OTL, of course. It would be interesting to see a union of all the catholic Dutch regions seceding and becoming their own country. We'd be talking, basically, about the big southern area marked in red, here.

Do observe that Zeeland is definitely not catholic, and will not join a catholic country. Nor will Zeeland secede at all: of all provinces, it has the strongest historical ties to Holland (even sharing a 'supreme court' of sorts during the confederal period, when other provinces had their own separate courts).

It depends on the exact political circumstances, of course, but in general, a southern - catholic - region trying to split off is far more likely at this juncture. Frisia had long been fiercely independent, but that time was long forgotten. Frisian nationalism only resurged in OTL in the latter half of the 20th century, and even then, the existence of a Frisian National Party notwithstanding, it's mostly a regionalist/localist affair. (Don't get me wrong, I don't mean to denigrate Frisian nationalism: I love decentralism and secession, and if the Frisians truly want independence, I for one wish them all the best.) As for Groningen and Drenthe, those are Low Saxon-speaking areas. The Saxons were also fiercely independent way back when, but that's even longer ago than it is for the Frisians. There is no Saxon independent movement to speak of in the Netherlands of OTL (and I should know; I live in the relevant region, and if it existed, I'd join it).

On the other hand, by the timeframe we're discussing in this TL, most of the Netherlands do still speak their own local languages and dialects, so if a split were to be forced for political reasons largely unrelated to anarchronistic concerns of ethnic nationalism, I do think a 'Frisian' or 'Saxon' national identity could quite easily be crafted post facto. Critical factors would be to standardise the regional language and to start teaching it in every school. (Ironically, this rough period - specifically the French occupation - introduced many elements of that practice to the Netherlands, with the key difference being that Dutch was introduced everywhere, thus beginning the decline of regional languages and bringing ever more unity to a previously confederal amalgation of provinces.)
I wasn't actually aware of the Saxon cultural elements in Groningen/Drenthe, so thanks for the info. My initial idea had been that since Friesland, Drenthe and the Rural parts of Groningen had serious political differences than the rest of the Netherlands, they would break off with a bit of "encouragement" from another power. But, with the cultural differences, perhaps Friesland becomes independant alongside a united Drenthe and Groningen?

So that might be interesting, but it would be a long shot. The more probable option is that the southern catholics - never quite happy to be essentially second-class citizens - would try to gain independence. We eventually had the Belgian Revolution in OTL, of course. It would be interesting to see a union of all the catholic Dutch regions seceding and becoming their own country. We'd be talking, basically, about the big southern area marked in red, here.

Do observe that Zeeland is definitely not catholic, and will not join a catholic country. Nor will Zeeland secede at all: of all provinces, it has the strongest historical ties to Holland (even sharing a 'supreme court' of sorts during the confederal period, when other provinces had their own separate courts).

Well, you're definitely right about Zeeland not joining the southern catholics. I was just thinking like your typical imperialist, and ignoring the will of the people so that the borders between the Flemish territories and Brabant would be prettier. Without Zeeland though, the two would be largely cut off from one another, and completely cut off when they finish turning the Zeeland islands into peninsulas. Pulling Zuid Beveland out of Zeeland would fix that and create tension down the road that I can exploit.

Anywho, thanks for the info. I'm definitely tucking it away for when I actually write up on the Netherlands. Also, I'm using your color scheme when I make maps. You have a color for San Marino, and that makes your color scheme automatically 38% more awesome. And the color for a monarchical USA is quite good as well, which goes well with this timeline's plans.

Skallagrim

Banned
[snip]

Anywho, thanks for the info. I'm definitely tucking it away for when I actually write up on the Netherlands.

No problem at all, I'll surely enjoy reading what you eventually come up with.

Also, I'm using your color scheme when I make maps. You have a color for San Marino, and that makes your color scheme automatically 38% more awesome. And the color for a monarchical USA is quite good as well, which goes well with this timeline's plans.

Thanks! I really enjoyed working on that, and I'm very happy that there are people who find it useful. :)

No problem at all, I'll surely enjoy reading what you eventually come up with.
I'm glad to hear you like it. Hey, you said you live in the Netherlands, right? How are the Dutch Patriots perceived today in the Netherlands? Are they even remembered at all?
Thanks! I really enjoyed working on that, and I'm very happy that there are people who find it useful. :)

Not to derail this topic or anything, but I've always hated the color scheme with the ugly blue-grey for the USA, so I was going to make my own when/if I made maps. But I like your color scheme and it would probably be better than anything I could come up with, so I'm real grateful.

Can i participate in this?

Heck yeah, I always appreciate new opinions and ideas.

Skallagrim

Banned
I'm glad to hear you like it. Hey, you said you live in the Netherlands, right? How are the Dutch Patriots perceived today in the Netherlands? Are they even remembered at all?

They are remembered, but not very well-known. People who aren't into history at all probably don't know they even existed. In general, the tendency has been to 'push them under the rug' a bit, because they were republicans opposed to the house of Orange, and after the French occupation, the house of Orange came back... and the country became a kingdom. So most erstwhile Patriots tried to just forget (and wanted others to forget) that the whole 'French period' ever happened at all.

Personally, I like them, although I like the early decentralist-minded ones better than I like the unitarians who took over soon after. In a general sense, though, I like the Patriots. Then, I also always side with Johan van Oldenbarnevelt against prince Maurice. (Again with the decentralist republicanism: the early Patriots certainly owed a lot to Johan van Oldenbarnevelt, legacy-wise, even if it was a distant legacy. That makes them basically 'my guys'. ;) )

Anyway, the Patriots aren't perceived negatively at all, except perhaps by ardent monarchists (we have very few of those, but countless laid-back monarchists). It's just that people don't know a lot about them either way.

Not to derail this topic or anything, but I've always hated the color scheme with the ugly blue-grey for the USA, so I was going to make my own when/if I made maps. But I like your color scheme and it would probably be better than anything I could come up with, so I'm real grateful.

Glad to be of service.

New Africa Brings the Jubilee
Time to head back to Georgia and the Trans-Occonee where the fighting will grow worse once again.

The moment the slave resolves that he will no longer be a slave, his fetters fall.
--Mahatma Gandhi.

Following his victory against the Georgian General Assembly, George Walton set to work with his plan to establish slave armies. However, much to the surprise of Walton and not really anybody else, the Georgian slaves were unwilling to fight even if offered their freedom, and the attempt to arm Louisville’s slaves triggered an uprising in the surrounding areas. Without the prospect of raising a large army, and rebelling slaves on his doorstep, Walton ordered the abandonment of Louisville and a retreat to Savannah.

As Walton and his army retreated to Savannah, a large number of white civilians joined in the retreat due to fears over what the New Africans might do. By the time the retreating band reached Savannah, on August 29th, the group had swollen to 2500 people, nearly 5% of Georgia’s white population.

Unfortunately for Walton, his initial plan of evacuating from Savannah via ship proved impossible. No ships had docked in Savannah for nearly a month, and there were reports that the New Africans were marching on Savannah. Facing few other options, Walton ordered further retreat. Few other towns existed south of Savannah however, so Walton proposed the Georgians would flee across territory held by the natives to St. Augustine in Spanish Florida.

Well the idea was unpopular with many of Walton’s followers, the idea of staying with the New Africans approaching was even less appealing. As such on September 4th, Walton, his followers, and the majority of those remaining in Savannah proceeded southwards. A week later, the New African army arrived in Savannah to find the city effectively empty and with few supplies.

With Walton’s flight, the New African army had complete control of Georgia sans the Trans-Occonee Republic. While the Trans-Occonee posed little threat to the New Africans, Kannifo Smalls was determined to smash every last trace of white Georgia. As such, the New Africans marched once again, this time towards Scull Shoals. If it fell, the new Republic would fall.

Upon arriving at across the Oconee river from Scull Shoals, it became apparent that the Transocconeese had prepared for them. Defensive arrangements had been constructed along the opposing river bank by the Transocconeese. Despite this, the Transocconeese were outnumbered 15 to 1, and the battle was almost certain to be a slaughter. So, when Smalls ordered his army to ford the river and attack, the Transocconeese were prepared for the worst.

The first few New Africans fell in the water as the Transocconeese fired from their fortifications. Within minutes however, the New Africans were upon the bank and the fighting descended into hand to hand combat. The Transocconeese fell in droves, but not a single man fled. Just a few hundred feet behind them were their families who would be defenseless if they lost. As the battle waged on, more and more New Africans made it to the Trans-Occonee bank, and the situation grew more and more desperate for the Transocconesee defenders.

Then, shouts and yells came from the woods to the south. A large army of Muscogee natives led by Hoboi-Hili-Miko came hurtling out of the woods, slamming into the rear of the New African army. Caught entirely off guard, the New African soldiers still on land put up a good fight but were swiftly defeated by the Muscogee. On the Transocconeese side, the battle continued on harshly until the Muscogee were able to push through the New Africans in the river. All told, nearly six thousand New Africans died in the Battle of Scull Shoals, and over a thousand Transocconeese and Muscogee died. Despite the harsh cost, the Republic was safe.