Hadrian's Consolidation - reboot

Thanks for the feedback :)

Well, right now its an isolated unit using some experimental toys and trying to find shortcuts for learning faster how to use the new gadget. A gadget that's really come about due to larger exposure to some steppe cultures elements than existed OTL. For this knowledge to disseminate through the army is something else altogether, and I've not made any decision yet.

Understand. As a retired Cavalry Trooper myself I always get a little giddy when I hear about Roman Cavalry development.

I really love this timeline. It's very nice to see Rome during the military prime of the imperial period doing imperial stuff. I'm specially looking forward to see if Rome manages to neutralize the Germanic threat effectively and, in doing so, maybe avert the worst of the the inflationary crisis that devastated the urban economies of the western provinces during the 3rd century crisis (which, in this case, should not be THAT bad). It's also extremely interesting to wonder how would a more economically stable empire fare against the Sassanids. I hope you can keep the chapters coming :)

Hecatee

Donor
I really love this timeline. It's very nice to see Rome during the military prime of the imperial period doing imperial stuff. I'm specially looking forward to see if Rome manages to neutralize the Germanic threat effectively and, in doing so, maybe avert the worst of the the inflationary crisis that devastated the urban economies of the western provinces during the 3rd century crisis (which, in this case, should not be THAT bad). It's also extremely interesting to wonder how would a more economically stable empire fare against the Sassanids. I hope you can keep the chapters coming :)

Well I still have quite a few chapters ready, but since we've passed Christmas I'll go back to my usual schedule of one chapter every monday (except when I'm travelling through the empire or, sometimes, beyond, when I can't garantee I'll have wi-fi or time for publication).

About the economy, I don't think they can really implement empire wide policies on economical matters with any kind of real effectivement, even Diocletian's price edict has not had the expected results as far as I know. But I do plan on having local initiatives that may or may not become more widespread and thus help with some issues in some areas. But I would need to look at climatological data for the 3rd century because I would not be suprised to discover issues on that side that may explain the economical crisis, after all such elements have had a lot of influence on many other economic and political crises up to and including the recent Arab Spring and the ongoing war in Syria.

So keep watching this space and I hope you'll find things that'll interest you :) Also I'm always glad of feedback, questions and debate so don't hesitate, all of you readers, to come in with ideas, remarks, etc. : they are necessary and welcome.

Well I still have quite a few chapters ready, but since we've passed Christmas I'll go back to my usual schedule of one chapter every monday (except when I'm travelling through the empire or, sometimes, beyond, when I can't garantee I'll have wi-fi or time for publication).

About the economy, I don't think they can really implement empire wide policies on economical matters with any kind of real effectivement, even Diocletian's price edict has not had the expected results as far as I know. But I do plan on having local initiatives that may or may not become more widespread and thus help with some issues in some areas. But I would need to look at climatological data for the 3rd century because I would not be suprised to discover issues on that side that may explain the economical crisis, after all such elements have had a lot of influence on many other economic and political crises up to and including the recent Arab Spring and the ongoing war in Syria.

So keep watching this space and I hope you'll find things that'll interest you :) Also I'm always glad of feedback, questions and debate so don't hesitate, all of you readers, to come in with ideas, remarks, etc. : they are necessary and welcome.
It's been a great start although I don't knowenough about the time period to comment much

With a more consolidated border will there be an increase in naval forces to speed up travel on the rivers?

Thanks for the extra holiday updates

Hecatee

Donor
With a more consolidated border will there be an increase in naval forces to speed up travel on the rivers?

Well at first no, it would be mainly detachements from the Danubian fleet that would patrol the new river borders, especially because of the lack of infrastructure. Later on however, as permanent bases are built by legionaries and auxiliaries, we'll begin to see some more crafts. Yet the Danubian fleet will remain important as it serves as an important logistical force to ferry over any required troops or product, and because it is a second line of defense : the new forward border does not mean that the Danube has lost its defensive purpose, to the countrary it gives more warning time to concentrate forces against any enemy that would cross the first line of defense and to make sure any boat stays on the south side of the Danubius so as not to give any opportunity to raiders.

In some way the new border gives a proto-constantinian border organization (the northern force as limitanei, the Danubian forces as mobile force, yet both are currently made of the same kind of troops), although the Romans are not conscious of any yet. It gives much better security to the lands south of the Danube (two major river crossing under defensive fire/forces instead of just the Danubian, various strongpoints to either take - not a barbarian strong skill - or move around, ...) with less troops to guarison it all and new revenues for the Empire. Plus the forces are now even further from Rome which may be of help in case of usurpation because it may give more reaction time to imperial forces.

Villa Hadriana, Tibur, Near Rome, early march 127 CE

Hecatee

Donor
Villa Hadriana, Tibur, Near Rome, early march 127 CE

Through the snowy alpine pass or through the coastal roads, despite the dangers of the road, the courriers of the imperial postal services had done their duty. Now it was time for their Emperor to do his. Yet Hadrian was worn out, a sick old man used by decades of politics and, more recently, family strife. While he still clothed himself in purple, he was but a shadow of his former self, his handkerchief bloodier every time he lowered it, and some wondered privately if his brain did not leave him piece by piece with every cough…

Yet while he did indeed sometimes show signs of weakness, this was not one of those days. The imperial council was gathered in a small, warm room deep in the Villa Hadriana. The heads of the main administrations, the best generals present in Rome and the imperial heir were all present, sitting on both sides of a large table dominated by their leader. Behind those men, alongside the walls of the room, some aids and slaves stood ready to do their masters’ bidding.

“So, you do confirm the reports of barbarian attacks on the Agri Decumani and in the formerly Iazyges lands ?” asked Hadrian, his voice trailing into a feeble cough while he looked at his secretary Ab Epistulis Latinis.

Suetonius quietly acquiesced : “Yes princeps, at least two armies of some 30 000 barbarians are reported to attack on both of those borders, a simultaneity that seems to point toward an alliance between the tribes. Even our former allies the Hermunduri seems to have raised swords against us, alongside with the Chatti, while the Quadi seem to raid our land with the survivors of the Iazyges on whom they preyed not so long long ago.”

Voltinius intervened : “I do not like the fact that two tribes standing on the opposite sides of the Marcomanni territory dare to declare war upon Rome while we hear nothing of this tribe… I do suspect that any move to reinforce our borders with forces opposing the Marcomanni would lead to their crossing of the Danuvius. I’m also rather uncomfortable with the idea of moving troops from the Rhine as the barbarians living on the other side of the river may also take advantage, whether or not any previous agreement was found between their chieftains. Yet we have to move forces to fight against the threats of the two armies already in the field.”

Most of the officials gave signs of acquiescence to the heir’s words, but it was the Ab Epistulis that actually voiced the general opinion : “The honorable Caius Aelius Caesar Voltinius is correct with his appraisal of the situation, we are probably facing a threat such as Rome had not faced since the time of Marius and Sulla, when the germanic tribes destroyed the armies of the Republic at the shameful battle of Arausio.”

Another of Hadrian’s general spoke then : “We must move rhenan legions and auxiliary units toward the south-east, and have some british forces take their place and lead offensive actions in the German territory to keep the barbarians on the wrong foot. The recent victories of our Caesar have left the britonculi weak, so that we don’t have to fear any kind of rebellion for at least three or four years. We can also move troops from Spain, the VII Gemina, along with the Ala Secunda Flavia Hispanorum, the two mounted cohortes Prima Celtiberorum and Secunda Gallica Civium Romanorum and the two Nova Tironium infantry cohorts to reinforce Germania Superior. Once the situation there has been contained they can move eastward and crush an eventual Marcomanni attack. As for the Quadi and Iazyges, the garrisons of Dacia can support the forces already in Pannonia Inferior, which are already some of our strongest garrisons.”

Many agreed to the plan. Pannonia Inferior was the name given to all of the lands captured between the Danube and Dacia, the former province of the same name having been incorporated into Pannonia Superior following the victory of some eight years before. As it was rather exposed to raids from the north, it had been decided to provide the region with a strong defensive force despite the fact they had much less border to defend. Hadrian thought of the area as a second Agri Decumanes, a vulnerable but strategical place where defense in depth was to be attempted so that the lands behind the Danuvius may stay safe from the barbarians.

The Emperor rose a hand and all stopped speaking : “Very well, send the spanish legion, the ala and the mounted cohors to Germania, but leave the infantry cohors behind. The gold mine must not be left unattended. Raise one new ala in the region, and temporarily move two cohors from Mauritania to Hispania, for the duration of the conflict. My son will lead the hispanic relief force, as a guarantee that the men will be returned to their original bases once the crisis is over. They have not moved in a long time, many are natives of the place and I do not thrust them not to rebel without such a guarantee.”

Hadrian coughed once more before continuing : “You are our best general, Caius, so I’m confident the task I’m giving to you will be accomplished. But remember that those hispanic units haven’t seen any fighting in a long time, possibly since the year of the four emperors, some sixty years ago… They spend most of their time in small garrisons spread all over the province, dealing with civilian matters or keeping watch over the gold mines. Long past is the time when the divine Augustus himself needed to campaign there to restore peace and the rule of the laws of Rome. It means you will need to retrain them to make them a proper military force if you want to achieve victory, as I personally saw, when I visited the land a few years ago, that they were far from combat ready. But I’m afraid you will not have much time to do so.”

Emerita Augusta, Hispania, early April 127 CE

Hecatee

Donor
Emerita Augusta, Hispania, early April 127 CE

Quintus Baebius Novalis, prefect of the fabri of the VII Gemina legion, was not happy to leave his base in Emerita Augusta, especially since the pump for a gold mine from Asturica Augusta was still not repaired, something he’d hoped to do before his departure. But preparing the legion for movement had taken all his time and he’d have to leave this unfinished business behind him, to await the end of the upcoming campaign.

As prefect of the fabri, he was responsible for the logistics of his legion. With his subordinates he’d had to find wagons and mules to complement the legion’s own stock, he’d had to make sure the stores of supplies were well stocked from nails for the shoes to ballista shots and, of course, food. There he’d been helped by the imperial envoys sent ahead of the legion by their commander, the emperor to be, the Caesar Voltinius.

While he was preparing for the move the centurions had called their men back from their various stations in the countryside, recalling those serving in police or administrative duties, retraining the units to give them back the cohesion and efficiency that made the legion’s edge over the barbarians.

Some had had to be dismissed, having taken to the soft life of their detachment to the point they had become unfit for duty : they would stay behind, and help the civilian administration take many duties that had been assumed by the military. New recruits had been brought in to fill the ranks. It had also been an opportunity to discover various frauds that would have stayed undiscovered had circumstances not changed in such a way… Thus a centurion had been discovered taking the pay for six long dead men of his unit, a capital offense that led to the promotion of a new officer.

Of course there had been grumblings, especially from the men who’d made a life outside of the camp, because of both the surplus of work the move entailed and fact they’d need to leave their usual routines, but the promise to come back to Hispania at the end of the campaign had helped dispel the malcontentment.

He was walking the decumanus of the camp when a call made him turn to the praetorium. The legate, commanding officer of the legion, was calling for him. Sighing, he made his way to his commander, another of the pompous fools Rome saw fit to send to this quiet and rich province.

Still, the man was no worse than the previous commander, and even much improved on the one before, an arrogant arsehole who used a perfumed tissue when walking around the camp and had a shrill voice that no one would have heard in battle. His only talent had been to make a profit from his tenure, going as far as diverting one full coffer of gold from the Medula mines to his own pocket. While Baebius knew it, he kept the information secret as it could win him no gain to leak it. He’d also received a full bag of newly minted aurei to help him stay discreet, something which was never unpleasant...

Baebius was a veteran who’d gone through the ranks before becoming centurion primipilus of the 1st cohort of the VIIth legion. He’d then been awarded the coveted and prestigious post of praefectus fabrum, one of the first steps of the equestrian career. Baebius knew how not to make waves in order to progress in the ranks.

Hopefully a good behavior during the coming war would see him become praefectus castrorum, commander of the camp, or even get him one of the even more prestigious prefectures, although he had no dream of ever reaching the rank of Egyptian or Pretorian prefect, the highest honors people with his background could ever hope to achieve.

Arriving in front of his commander, he saluted smartly. Responding in kind, the senator in charge of the legion asked Baebius whether or not he expected his men to be ready. Smiling, Baebius gave his answer : the legion was now completely ready, with new recruits to make the numbers of the units full again and all the detached men having rejoined their unit, some for the first time in more than a year.

Satisfied, the legate invited Baebius in the praetorium, where they went to his office. Once there Lucius Cornelius Avidius took a letter from inside his tunica, giving it to his subordinate. The wax seal had already been broken, and bore the mark of the Caesar. In it, orders for Cornelius Avidius to send part of his staff ahead of the legion, so that they could better coordinate the action of the VIIth legion. A job for the Praefectus Fabri...

Somewhere in the plains of Pannonia Inferior, April 127 CE

Hecatee

Donor
Somewhere in the plains of Pannonia Inferior, April 127 CE

Culsus woke up early, for he knew that battle would come this day and he wanted some quiet time with the Gods before he started looking after his men. His turma had lost about a fifth of its strength since the winter campaign started, but he’d done many time as much damage to the enemy. The barbarians had found nothing to eat in the lands they’d captured, nor anything to loot. Everywhere they’d been shadowed and harassed by cavalry units while further south the legions were readying for a spring campaign. Some 30 000 to 40 000 barbarians had invaded the province, but the delaying actions of only 5000 men had been enough to slow them down to a crawl. Fabius Cunctator would have been proud, especially as the barbarians had been mostly contained to the strip of land between the Danuvius and the Tisia river, mostly a large plain with many smaller rivers. Of course raids had crossed the Tisia, but they had been repelled every time. Now it was time for a new Cannae, but with the Romans in the role of the army of the brilliant Hannibal, their most feared foe.

The legions had come out of their camps and had regrouped with the cavalry, offering them shelter so that the horsemen, tired by almost three months of constant warfare, may rest a bit. News had also come of operations further west, against the Marcomanni, which prevented the enemy from getting any reinforcements. The situation was much worse in the Agri Decumanes, according to the news, and it was said that the Emperor himself was going to take command of the forces there, or at least his adopted son and heir, the great general Voltinius.

Of course the news were at least a month old, but this did not mean they were wrong. The furor germanica had taken everyone by surprise, and the legions were stretched thin, although no large scale defeat had been reported yet. Some smaller units had suffered great losses, outposts overwhelmed by the numbers or detachments outsmarted by the barbarians, but generally speaking the war was going as well as could be expected.

Now the fight against the Iazyges and the Quadi was about to take a decisive turn as both armies had finally camped close enough for a final battle. The field of battle had been chosen by the Romans, encircling the barbarians alongside the banks of the Tisia, with units on the far side to prevent them from crossing, and a legion north of them to push them toward the trap laid by two other legions which had come from both Dacia and the south of the new province : their camp was Culsus’ current temporary base.

The legion’s legatus had personally complimented Culsus and his turma for their outstanding work, promising them an early citizenship for those of them with more than five years of service, provided they kept in the army until the end of their enrollment period. Still, the simple change of status would offer them many opportunities, but Culsus was too tired to think about it. Beside, they still had to survive the coming battle before they could hope to enjoy their newfound citizenship...

North of the Danube, territory of the Marcomanni, April 127 CE

Hecatee

Donor
North of the Danube, territory of the Marcomanni, April 127 CE

Rome had reacted with her customary aggressiveness to the news of the tribe’s alliance. The warriors had not yet assembled for their planned raid over the river that two full roman legion and various auxiliary units had landed on their side of the Danube, jumping from their bases at Vindobona and Carnuntum as well as from staging points further west, in the neighboring province of Noricum and Raetia.

The move was completely unexpected as the Marcomanni leaders had planned on the attacks East and West of the area diverting all the forces that may oppose them… All had expected the main forces of the garrison to move in one of those directions so as to help defend the roman territories under threat, but it was not to be : while the Marcomanni had little informations about the way the war was going for their allies, they had now to defend themselves from the Romans.

Villages burned, warriors and their wives and children were taken as slaves or slain, and disorder reigned everywhere. Many fled inland, staying away of the rivers which the roman fleet patrolled aggressively. The king had ordered a muster of the warriors in a fortress at the foot of the mountains in the West, looking to strike toward the roman Raetia. At least that was his initial plan, until he’d heard of a roman blunder… A full auxiliary cohort isolated in his territory, in striking range of his warriors but too far away of other supporting units to hope for help in battle…

His spies had told the king the romans were of the IX Batavorum, an elite auxiliary unit of double strength and a remarkable target for any barbarians… Of course it was not a legion, but the prestige from destroying a roman unit would still be immense, and the effort to kill a thousand men much less important than fighting a six thousand men legion supported by its auxiliaries... He’d mustered some six thousand of his best warriors, and now planned to ambush the cohort as it came back toward Raetia.

The place was perfect : the riverside was too broken for the soldiers to walk alongside it, thus removing the support of the fleet’s artillery, and two deeply forested hills made a perfect cover for his warriors. Tales from the long ago ambush against Varus had guided the king’s choice for the site of battle and he’d made sure to have men build wicker walls between the threes so that most escaping legionaries would be caught and killed by his men. What he’d not said to anyone but his most trusted advisors was that those walls would also prevent any attempt at fleeing by his own men, who would be forced to fight to the last should disaster strike.

Hundreds of women had also helped make the walls, and now stood ready to throw abuses and stones on the head of any warrior attempting to flee, be it a Marcomanni or a Roman. They also helped cook food for the men, although the king had forbidden it the previous night, as the Romans were close and he could not allow smoke or fire to be spotted by the pathfinders. The same reason had dictated his choice to leave the hounds back at the fortress, even if a charge by the ferocious packs of dogs would have helped dissolve the orderly ranks of the Romans before his men hit them.

But now was not the time to worry about all that any longer. The invaders were about to enter the chosen ambush site, and he was about to unleash hell. The men coming through the path were auxiliaries, the mostly non citizen forces that served Rome alongside with its legions. They did not wear the plate armor of the legions, nor did they carry the rectangular shield of the feared units, but they were at least as good as any legionary in single fighting.

The king, who’d personally served in an auxiliary unit before deserting back to his tribe and becoming its leader, knew that in fact the auxiliaries fought more often than their brothers in arms, but did not learn the many skills of the legions : they had no specialists in artillery, engineering or siege craft as was the case in the larger units, their mission being to patrol in the first line, repel the small ambushed and call in the garrison forces when needed.

They were thus less prestigious but often better opponents and under the command of more experienced officers, so it was lucky that their units were much smaller than the legions. Even the six thousand men the king had assembled for this attack seemed a bit too few to confront them, although he expected them to be heavily loaded with loot and overconfident thanks to their earlier successes.

While his mind went through all these thoughts, the king kept observing the advancing snake of men that progressed along the path. First some scouts, which he’d let pass unscathed, and then the main body of men. As expected they were not very careful, which was good. His men would now have about half an hour to get in position for their attack. Strong forces in the front and back of the column, fifteen hundred men each, would pin the Romans in the narrow defile and then a group of two thousand warriors would attack in the middle of the flank of the formation to break it in two. The last thousand men, the best he had and half of them mounted, formed a handpicked reserve to strengthen any group that became too weak or to pursue the eventual survivors.

Modi'in, Iudea, may 127 CE

Hecatee

Donor
Modi'in, Iudea, may 127 CE

Shimon bar Koseva was furious. The impudence of that centurion ! Of course he’d protest to the governor ! One was not expulsed from one’s land like that ! What if he had not paid the new tax ? It had not been published yet and he could thus not know about its unjust requirement ! And to add to the insult they had dared give it to a family of barbarian unbelievers such as the region had seen more and more in the last years, at least as many as there had been good Jewish families disappearing oversea. How outrageous !

Really the roman presence was growing more intolerable by the day. They did not respect the holy laws, blasphemed all day long, built temples to their so called gods in the Jewish cities and sacrificed publicly animals such as pigs in long ceremonies that all had to watch. And that was before one spoke of their imperial cult, honors given to deceased men that rivalled those given to God himself.

This could not last much longer. He’d already contacted many in the neighboring villages, and had found many to be in agreement with him. Some had even shown him old weapons which they said dated from the great war against the cursed Titus. A revolt was possible, but it needed a leader. He was certainly not qualified for such a role, so he just kept an ear close to the rebels and kept himself ready for action if the need arose.

Still, the more time went by the angrier he became both at the inaction of his brethren and at the injustices the Romans subjected them to on a daily basis. He’d just spoken once more with his uncle Eleazar, bringing him the latest news from the rabbi Akiva as well as news of his own situation, and was now going home, but he’d been intercepted while on his way by a roman patrol whose officer had notified him of his expulsion, expressing his delight at not needing to go all the way to what he’d called in his heavily accented hebrew as “your stinking jewish hovel unfit for a pig”.

If no one would act further against the Romans he’d take things in his own hands, and lead the revolt himself ! After all he’d already met so many, he was known for his ideas, maybe he could transform all the anger he felt seething in the population into a formidable force ? One that would give back a death to the Romans for every blow they’d inflicted on a Jew, one that would free the land and give back the freedom to teach the Torah and the traditions of his people, one that would lead to the cleansing of the taints of the barbaric cults of the unbelievers…

Hecatee

Donor
Well that remains to be seen... And while their relocation scheme does go forward, the plan does not go forward without making some powerful anger in the "victim" population and while the danubian barbarians are simply deported to one of two sides of the empire, and the british are too broken to do anything about what's happened to them, the Jews are not in the same situation...

And the seeds for a second major revolt in Judea has just been planted. Add the fact that Hadrian unwisely deported some pissed off Danubians to the one province that's already angry at Rome and this TTL's second revolt will be even more costly for Rome. This is one of those situations where it would better if the Romans either have a stalemate, or a Phyrric victory that would force them to negotiate and own up to the fact that for over the last century they been dropping the ball when it came to the Jews. This upcoming revolt can serve as a sort of "reality check" for the Romans on both the military and provincial administration front.

i always thought that the Jews could have formed a simular role to that they had in medieval europe (not good for jews but maybe good for empire) as tax collectors, merchants, money lenders used as a hated class distracting the populace from the imcompetance of their government