Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes III

Status
Not open for further replies.
UrR8L6.png

A world where Pirates of Dark Water enjoyed wider popularity, justifying its high production costs and ensuring that the series would finish its plot line. Being an early Cartoon Network show also helped.

Last edited:
My point was that it would take too long for Mao to be able to conduct with any reasonable chance of success, at least before Pepper would take office. They wouldn't try it once the United States committed itself to the ROC's defense.​
Often it is the Governor in the sense that he has a lot of influence over the Party Officers and Elected Officials who manage that aspect of the election, but Fuller Warren was significantly weakened by a number of scandals during his tenure that would have dampened the extent he could intervene in those affairs. That isn't to say that he wouldn't fight it tooth and nail, but I believe given the man in question he would be out-maneuvered and find himself supporting the "National Democratic" ticket of Claude Pepper.​

I see, thank you for the explanations.

His Accidency
I'm re-posting a "complete" version of my Johnson scenario. It features an alternate challenger in 64' and some general edits. All quotes are from OTL.

"Guns and bombs, rockets and warships, are all symbols of human failure."
-President Lyndon B. Johnson

On November 22, 1963 Lyndon Johnson gained the dubious honor of becoming the shortest serving President in American history. A mere fourteen hours after the assassination of President John F. Kennedy, Johnson was shot dead by a Secret Service agent in what can only be described as freak accident of the highest order [1]. Mistaking Johnson for an intruder, the agent fatally wounded the President with submachine gun fire before realizing his identity. Ironically the offending agent was handpicked to serve on the elite White House Secret Service Detail, a thirty-four man team responsible for protecting the president in the wake of the Kennedy assassination...

Needless to say House Speaker, now President, John William McCormack entered the White House under inauspicious circumstances, a gloom that would define his short term in office. Almost immediately McCormack would find his efforts at Civil Rights legislation forestalled by his unwillingness to work with southern politicians or reach across the aisle to potential moderate Republican allies. To the former, McCormack was an arrogant Massachusite that would be best served to leave southern affairs to the southern people, to the latter he was the same old officious new dealer that they had come to hate as Speaker of the House. Going into the 1964 election McCormack was viewed as an ineffective President at best, and an instigator of hostility between the races at worst. Who could stop this propagator of malaise and miscegenation? Only one man...

Bc3GHR7.png

And here's something I like to call the "armageddon option"... [2]

nUYKrDK.png

They warned me that if I voted for Barry Goldwater in 1964 we would have the campuses in flames, race riots burning the inner cities, a massive arms race with the Russians, and a major and utterly futile land war in Southeast Asia. God help me, I didn't listen and I voted for Goldwater...

Barry Goldwater said:
To insist on strength is not war-mongering. It is peace-mongering

Barry Goldwater said:
You've got to forget about this civilian. Whenever you drop bombs, you're going to hit civilians.

Barry Goldwater said:
I can end the war in a month. I can make North Vietnam look like a mud puddle.

Barry Goldwater said:
If you don't mind smelling like peanut butter for two or three days, peanut butter is darn good shaving cream.
Excerpt from Decline and Fall of the American Empire

Although overshadowed by the Indochinese wars, the legislative agenda of President Goldwater should not be overlooked by students of late American bourgeois democracy...

Excerpt from Race and Class Oppression: The Truth Behind American Democracy

The Civil Rights Act of 1965? A sham... sure it had the right language, but it left all the “discretion” up to the states. Guess they were being discreet when they locked up any negro that came near a ballot box...​

Except from Radical Conservatism: The Presidency of Barry Goldwater

You'd think we'd learned nothing from Korea, and well I guess we didn’t. When all this started Barry said he'd just be finishin' what MacArthur started back in 51', well I'm starting to think even ol' Dugout Doug would've balked at that.

Except from the Chinese declaration of war against "the imperialist clique that occupies Saigon”

To the workers and peasants of Viet Nam we say this, stay in the fight your liberation is just over the next hillside.​

Exchange between Vietnamese General Secretary Lê Duẩn and an aide

For fucks sake! Whose next? The fucking Bulgarians?

Well sir...

Don't you dare fucking answer that!

...​

When it finally got down to settling things a second time, you know what he said to me? “Where's Smathers?” the man was convinced that the “Hollywood showman” had somehow played him for a fool, enlisted Smathers as some sort of con man. Can you imagine? Smathers couldn't deceive a cow if he tried...
-Former Secretary of State Kevin White

...You know we were this close to ending that dammed war (sighs), Red Chinese didn’t want to be there anymore than we did. I could see it in their eyes, had that “I’ve shoved my hand in a beehive” look about them. This close (gestures with thumb and index finger)... what? What went wrong? Congress got its act together (laughs).
-Former Vice-President George Smathers

Yea I backed that Hollywood boy, do it again too just to see the look on that little shit Bobby [Kennedy]'s face a second time. What? Smathers? He's here? HEY GEORGE [expletive redacted].
-Former Governor George Wallace

pt2llWb.png

Ronald Reagan said:
We should declare war on North Vietnam. We could pave the whole country and put parking strips on it, and still be home by Christmas.

Field Marshal Bernard Montgomery said:
Do not go fighting with your land armies in China. It is a vast country, with no clearly defined objectives.

Ronald Reagan said:
My fellow Americans, I am pleased to tell you I just signed legislation which outlaws Russia forever. The bombing begins in five minutes.

George McGovern said:
I'm fed up to the ears with old men dreaming up wars for young men to die in.

hIvllIs.png

Footnotes
[1] Read what actually happened here.
[2] Sanders turned Wallace down IOTL.

Presidents of the United States

1961-1963: John F. Kennedy / Lyndon Johnson (Democratic)
1960: Richard Nixon / Henry Cabot Lodge (Republican)
1963-1963: Lyndon B. Johnson / vacant (Democratic)
1963-1965: John W. McCormack / vacant (Democratic)
1965-1969: Barry Goldwater / William Scranton (Republican)

1964: George Wallace / Colonel Sanders (Democratic)
1969-1973: Ronald Reagan / Daniel Evans (Republican)
1968: Robert F. Kennedy / George Smathers (Democratic)
1973-0000: George McGovern / Ted Kennedy (Democratic)
1972: Ronald Reagan / John A. Volpe (Republican)

Last edited:
How does the clearly very unpopular McCormack, who is only a caretaker, steal the nomination from someone the country might vote for, say a Kennedy?

shiftygiant

Gone Fishin'
How does the clearly very unpopular McCormack, who is only a caretaker, steal the nomination from someone the country might vote for, say a Kennedy?
Because a Kennedy would be more than unlikely to run in 1964. How he stole nomination from Humphrey, Shriver, Symington, Smathers, or Muskie is more apt a question.

Status
Not open for further replies.