1986, if I haven't mentioned before. I haven't seen every Star Trek episode, but my favorite that I've seen is probably "Mirror, Mirror".

Also: any word on game shows other than The Price is Right (which I recall being mentioned several times)? Butterflies probably mean no Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy in their recognizable forms, but do Family Feud and Match Game still exist ITTL?

1979, and Balance Of Terror. I'm not sure if you're up for data from people who aren't actually AH members, but my parents are fans of your TL too; 1943 and 1952. I'm not sure on their favourite episodes, though.

It looks like there won't be a Thatcherite British Government ITTL, but are any of the Eighties privitisations going to happen ? If they do, will any of the Star Trek cast appear in an advert for them, such as OTL's National Power/Powergen one featuring Shatner and Doohan ?

Cheers,
Nigel.

Thanks so much for your replies, everyone! I've already added a lot of your data to my spreadsheets - it's going to be a lot of fun reporting my findings in a few days! :)

Born 1991, not a Trekkie.
The first of many, it would seem! (Born in 1991, I mean.)

1991[...]the original series one when figthoing the gorn(was so campy and chessy yet loved it)
The episode in question is called "Arena". A lot of people have a soft spot for that one.

Still 1995, and "Spock's Brain".:cool:
As So Bad, It's Good goes, it's definitely a hard one to top. "His brain is gone!" :D

Born 1990. Don't want to put down a favourite Star Trek episode as I've only seen about half of them.
Fair enough, but thanks for sharing your year of birth :)

Born 1982, haven't watched the original.
Welcome aboard, FireIvory! Thanks so much for participating in my survey, and for de-lurking in order to do so!

Born 1981.
Thank you, Fardell, and welcome to Club '80s! :cool:

My fandom is weird because I saw the Original Series after watching the animated series, so basically it was cartoons come to life.
I have mentioned that the first episode of Star Trek I remember seeing is "Yesteryear", haven't I? Granted, I don't recall sitting down and watching all of TAS first...

Emperor Norton I said:
Concerning my favorite episodes, "The Corbomite Maneuver" is probably my favorite season one episode, along with "Balance of Terror", "Omega Glory", and "Errand of Mercy". I think it would have made a better first aired episode than the pilot or "The Man Trap". I'm also very much a fan of "Mirror, Mirror" and "A Piece of the Action".
I agree about "The Corbomite Maneuver" probably being the best choice for series premiere out of the early batch of episodes, probably followed by "The Naked Time" - a great "Star Trek in a nutshell" episode - alas, the network demanded a planet-bound episode, which is the main reason why "The Man Trap" (an episode which I rather like, it must be said) was chosen.

We know from the research done by the good folks at La-La Land Records for their superlative Complete Soundtrack that the score for "The Man Trap" was recorded on August 19, 1966 - "Charlie X", the second episode to air but the eighth produced, was scored on August 29, over a month after shooting wrapped on July 19. It appears that no episode produced after "Charlie X" would have been ready for the premiere date of September 8 (actually September 6, on the Canadian network CTV). A shame, because "Balance of Terror" probably would have been the best choice of all.

Tag end of 67.
Another native of the Swinging Sixties! Excellent.

We are legion! :D

DanMcCollum said:
The only channel that showed it when I was in middle school was a UHF channel out of Milwaukee that rarely came in. Since it was on at 11 or midnight, i had to record ot and pray the recording was in good enough shape to watch :)
What an intriguing story! Thanks for sharing, though it almost sounds more 1970s than 1990s...

DanMcCollum said:
If I had to pick some favorite episodes, I would have to go with Mirror, Mirror, Balance of Terror and Space Seed (the first I ever saw! Which was a treat, since i loved Wrath of Khan). I also have a soft spot for the Tholian Web, even though i havent seen it in years and cant remembwr why I loved it so much.
A very solid list :)

Another very crowded year for my readership!

And another '90s Kid joins the fray!

Owain said:
Based largely on what I can call up positive memories of off the top of my head,:
"The Menagerie"
"Balance of Terror"
"Who Mourns for Adonais?"
"The Conscience of the King"
"Arena"
Thanks for sharing! They have been noted and logged.

I was wondering if the better economic climate, more population etc means attractions such as RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach do significantly better ITTL?

Several boneheaded decisions regarding the ship were made when she arrived (removing her engines, crappy rewiring, change if use/destruction of rooms etc) as well as general bad management over the years almost caused her to be lost. Can The Queen be saved and thrive on This Wacky Redhead's world please?
Unfortunately, I can't say with any confidence that I'd be able to butterfly the fate of the Queen Mary ITTL, especially with such a late POD.

A very special year to be born, indeed! ;)

neamathla said:
My current top 10 in alphabetical order.
Thanks for sharing them!

1986, if I haven't mentioned before.
You have, but so have a few others :p

The Walkman said:
Also: any word on game shows other than The Price is Right (which I recall being mentioned several times)? Butterflies probably mean no Wheel of Fortune or Jeopardy in their recognizable forms, but do Family Feud and Match Game still exist ITTL?
As you may know, the cancellation of the original Art Fleming version of Jeopardy! and its replacement by Wheel of Fortune (originally known as Shopper's Bazaar) are both down to a single individual: Lin Bolen, the VP of Daytime Programming from 1972 (IOTL). She was tasked to improve ratings in Daytime with key demographics (namely, young women) because NBC's primetime schedule was so lousy. The issue is that, ITTL, NBC primetime is doing much better in the early-1970s, with exactly the right kinds of demographics (well, mostly - the large black audiences watching Sanford and Son, Flip Wilson, and Bill Cosby, amongst others, are definitely fuel for ambivalence amongst executives, as I've previously discussed). Point being, I'm not sure Bolen would be appointed VP Daytime ITTL, or if she were, be given the same mandate as IOTL. That could save Jeopardy!, a show which proved very hard to kill even IOTL, which butterflies Wheel (and, of course, the 1984 revival hosted by Alex Trebek, which has continued airing to the present). No Wheel would be a massive change, and for that reason alone I like the idea, despite having grown up watching it. As for Match Game, since the iteration that we all remember began airing on CBS as a direct result of the success of The New Price is Right, I think it's likely to run ITTL as well - but perhaps without the core panelists (Brett Somers and Charles Nelson Reilly were both late additions - only Richard Dawson was a charter regular, and even he could well have been a fluke). No Richard Dawson, of course, means no Family Feud.

Of course, Lin Bolen is said to have inspired the character of Diana Christensen in Network, a film which ITTL won Best Picture of 1976 (and a role which won Jane Fonda her second Oscar for Best Actress), something I would have to reconcile with a continuing Jeopardy!... although she seemed to have ruffled a lot of feathers in her career, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

1979, and Balance Of Terror. I'm not sure if you're up for data from people who aren't actually AH members, but my parents are fans of your TL too; 1943 and 1952. I'm not sure on their favourite episodes, though.
Welcome aboard, Battlestar! Thanks so much for sharing your year of birth! And it's delightful that your parents are reading along as well - your father (?) is now the oldest confirmed reader of my thread, though I have a policy that I only add board members to the survey, for internal indexing purposes. But I certainly appreciate the anecdotal data :)

It looks like there won't be a Thatcherite British Government ITTL, but are any of the Eighties privitisations going to happen ? If they do, will any of the Star Trek cast appear in an advert for them, such as OTL's National Power/Powergen one featuring Shatner and Doohan ?
The privatizations are not likely ITTL. I suspect that defanging the Unions will be as far as Wet Willie Whitelaw will be willing to wade. (Try saying that five times fast.)

The privatizations are not likely ITTL. I suspect that defanging the Unions will be as far as Wet Willie Whitelaw will be willing to wade. (Try saying that five times fast.)

None at all ? While the privatizations of power and water were arguably a step too far in the other direction, the nationalisation of British Leyland was just crying out to be reversed. Also leaving telecoms in the hands of the GPO is going to handicap the communications sector in the longer term. I'd be surprised if the Seventies level of nationalisation would be maintained indefinitely.

Cheers,
Nigel.

Today marks the third anniversary of That Wacky Redhead, and I wanted to celebrate the occasion, some 876,000 views and 4,144 replies after it all began. To do so, I decided to follow up my surveys from last year and share the results with all of you, to get an idea of changes (or the lack thereof) over time[FONT=&quot]…

[/FONT]Poster Demographics

TWR Poster Demographics III.png

Here is a chart showing the birth decades of our posters. As has been the case throughout this thread's history, the 1970s and the 1980s are neck-and-neck for the first place position. At present, the 1980s edge out the 1970s with 19 posters over their 18. The 1960s and the 1990s are tied for third with 13 apiece. The 1950s have 5 posters, the same amount as both last year and the year before, for a total of 68. The oldest poster was born in 1950 and the youngest was born in 1999, which is unchanged from last year. The mean and median year of birth is 1978, which is also one of the three mode years (the other two being 1986 and 1991). Therefore, I can say with moderate confidence that the average reader of this thread was born in 1978, on the cusp between Generations X and Y.

Top 10 Star Trek Episodes

I chose to recognize 23 submissions for this one, ranging in size from five entries all the way to twenty. Although I want to thank all of you for participating, I felt that any one-episode submissions I received would skew the data excessively. As with last year, I decided to rank the episodes in absolute terms; unqualified inclusion on the list merited one point, and the number of honourable mentions would then serve as tie-breaker; no regard was paid to strict ranking by individual submitters.

1. "The Trouble with Tribbles" - no longer sweeping the submissions, but maintaining a decisive lead over the competition (20/23). Last year: #1
  2. "The City on the Edge of Forever" - not performing as well as its reputation might suggest, it was nearly knocked out of second-place (16/23 +1). Last year: #2
  3. "Balance of Terror" - still a strong third, nearly second (16/23). Last year: #3
  4. "Mirror, Mirror" - a very solid showing for the episode which brought alternate universes into the popular consciousness (15/23). Last year: #4
  5. "The Doomsday Machine" - my own favourite episode holds steady (13/23). Last year: #5
  6. "A Piece of the Action" - this one got enough votes to move up in rank, and is the last episode to be listed on a majority of submissions (10/23 +3). Last year: #7
  7. "Space Seed" - Khan moves one step closer to conquering this list (9/23 +1). Last year: Tied for #8
  8. "The Devil in the Dark" - no Sympathy for the Devil this year; she didn't pick up one vote (9/23). Last year: #6
  9. "Amok Time" - apparently this year's batch of submitters don't care for horny Vulcans, since none of them voted for him (7/23 +1). Last year: Tied for #8
  10. "Arena" - yes, it picked up the vote it needed to hold firm in the Top 10; vultan would be proud (7/23). Last year: #10.
Honourable Mention goes to "The Enterprise Incident", with five votes and two honourable mentions, making it the highest-ranking episode of the Turd Season. Last year's Honourable Mention, "Journey to Babel", also received five votes, but just one honourable mention. "The Menagerie", taken as a whole, received five votes as well; no other episode received more than four.

---

Thanks to everyone for reading, for commenting, and for participating in these surveys! And thank you all so much for your enthusiastic and overwhelming support, in general! :)

TWR Poster Demographics III.png

Last edited:
Possibly relevant...

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...-with-quot-the-devil-and-max-devlin-quot.aspx

The money quote:

Jim Hill said:
You see, following the March 1981 release of this Steven Hilliard Stern film, so many middle Americans wrote letters to Walt Disney Productions about how scandalized they'd been by "The Devil and Max Devlin," how they were sure that Walt himself would have never made a movie which included such needless swearing that ... Well, Ron Miller then began exploring the idea of setting up different distribution banners at Disney. Ones that could then be used to release films that were more mature in nature and had a darker tone than the ones that the Mouse Factory typically released. Which is where Touchstone Films (established in February of 1983) and Hollywood Pictures (established in February of 1989) came from.

And none of this would have happened if -- back in 1980 -- Ron Miller hadn't thought to have Disney's casting agents ask Bill Cosby if he wanted to go to Hell.

I found myself wondering how 14 years of butterflies in TTL would have affected the circumstances surrounding that decision. (Did *Disney even make The Black Hole?) And, looking ahead, does the Desilu-Muppets deal butterfly away the 1990 Disney-Muppets deal?

http://jimhillmedia.com/editor_in_c...-with-quot-the-devil-and-max-devlin-quot.aspx

The money quote:

I found myself wondering how 14 years of butterflies in TTL would have affected the circumstances surrounding that decision. (Did *Disney even make The Black Hole?) And, looking ahead, does the Desilu-Muppets deal butterfly away the 1990 Disney-Muppets deal?

Indeed. Brainbin, inquiring minds want to know how the House of Mouse is doing! (Of course, I do have a TL I need to do with plans for the Disney Channel...though at least one OTL star would not be working there...)

Indeed. Brainbin, inquiring minds want to know how the House of Mouse is doing! (Of course, I do have a TL I need to do with plans for the Disney Channel...though at least one OTL star would not be working there...)

Well, the next update is about animation. Foreign animation, yes, but we might see what Disney's been up to. Also, we might know how Hayao Miyazaki is doing (I happen to be very excited about that)

I hope to have the next update ready for all of you soon! Thanks for your patience, it is very much obliged :)

None at all ? While the privatizations of power and water were arguably a step too far in the other direction, the nationalisation of British Leyland was just crying out to be reversed. Also leaving telecoms in the hands of the GPO is going to handicap the communications sector in the longer term. I'd be surprised if the Seventies level of nationalisation would be maintained indefinitely.
Bear in mind that the Seventies level of nationalization doesn't exactly happen in the same way ITTL that it did IOTL. Look at British Aerospace, for example.

Wow, I was born far after this. In 1997.
Duly noted, whipper-snapper! ;)

Welcome aboard, VariantAberrant! To answer your first question, Disney (no need for an asterisk, the company was established before the POD) did make The Black Hole, but it was not successful - tastes were already shifting toward fantasy by this time. To answer your second, since the OTL deal took place after 1986, it's immaterial for the purposes of this timeline :cool:

Indeed. Brainbin, inquiring minds want to know how the House of Mouse is doing!
To be fair, I did cover a fair amount of Disney's activities in this fairly recent update.

Well, the next update is about animation. Foreign animation, yes, but we might see what Disney's been up to. Also, we might know how Hayao Miyazaki is doing (I happen to be very excited about that)
We will hear from Hayao Miyazaki. He won't be making Princess Mononoke or anything, but all creators have to start somewhere, right?

A little something that may be of interest to readers of TWR: This article from The Space Review discusses the impact of TV and movie sci-fi in general and Star Trek in particular in inspiring future generations of engineers and space pioneers.
Thanks for sharing, nixonshead, though I am rather disappointed they didn't interview anyone who was involved with the show's production. (I realize they're few and far between after half a century, but still - Solow is still alive, and unlike some people, was involved from the beginning.) Who do they get instead? Why, none other than the Vandal, once again pretending he was there all along :mad:

But let's not dwell on that. I will say that - speaking as someone who is frequently, nay, constantly, inundated with updates on SpaceX developments from someone who is very much a part of the core peer group affected by this phenomenon - I can vouch for Elon Musk being an inspirational figure to a great many space jockeys... though by no means all of them.

And here we've james Doohan show to the mix too.
An excellent observation, Nivek! That was definitely one of the reasons I developed Into the Final Frontier for TTL :)

Hello Ms Ball

Fifty years ago the pilot for Star Trek was filming at Desilu and I for one would like to thank everyone at the Studio for sticking with Trek through all five seasons, and the revival series.

Us fans really appreciate all the hard work that gets us our fix of Trek, even if only in re-run these days. Please Ms. Ball, can we have some more?

Regards
A Fan

As So Bad, It's Good goes, it's definitely a hard one to top. "His brain is gone!" :D

Indeed, instead of "jumping the shark," in my alternate Star Trek TLIAD, "Shuffling the Treks," shows that go on too long "steal the brain." (Mentioned partly because those who wanted to see Anissa Jones saved can rejoice at my last TL post!) Just a little treat for you and readers who requested it in your TL.

Also, interesting that Black hole" was from Disney, I hadn't recalled that but do recall watching the movie, as I was *huge* into anythign space then. I imagine I'd be even more into sci-fi here.

As with last year, I decided to rank the episodes in absolute terms; unqualified inclusion on the list merited one point, and the number of honourable mentions would then serve as tie-breaker; no regard was paid to strict ranking by individual submitters.

1. "The Trouble with Tribbles" - no longer sweeping the submissions, but maintaining a decisive lead over the competition (20/23). Last year: #1
  2. "The City on the Edge of Forever" - not performing as well as its reputation might suggest, it was nearly knocked out of second-place (16/23 +1). Last year: #2
  3. "Balance of Terror" - still a strong third, nearly second (16/23). Last year: #3
  4. "Mirror, Mirror" - a very solid showing for the episode which brought alternate universes into the popular consciousness (15/23). Last year: #4
  5. "The Doomsday Machine" - my own favourite episode holds steady (13/23). Last year: #5
  6. "A Piece of the Action" - this one got enough votes to move up in rank, and is the last episode to be listed on a majority of submissions (10/23 +3). Last year: #7
  7. "Space Seed" - Khan moves one step closer to conquering this list (9/23 +1). Last year: Tied for #8
  8. "The Devil in the Dark" - no Sympathy for the Devil this year; she didn't pick up one vote (9/23). Last year: #6
  9. "Amok Time" - apparently this year's batch of submitters don't care for horny Vulcans, since none of them voted for him (7/23 +1). Last year: Tied for #8
  10. "Arena" - yes, it picked up the vote it needed to hold firm in the Top 10; vultan would be proud (7/23). Last year: #10.
It's fun to imagine what the list woudl be like TTL - if I didn't say before, BTW, I loved that one where Spock and McCoy switch bodies. You *have* to write that for fanfiction.net, somebody. It would be so cool, and I could so see it happening as I read, it was just like I'd watched the episode. (When you have a visual memory like mine that happens.) (I'm thinking of writing the one I have Anissa recalling in her biography in my TL as a Star Trek crossover, but I'm afraid people would get very confused even with an Author's Note.)

One reason i had "Spock's Brain" still happen was I figured in my by seson 6 they'd be deliberately selling it as a comedy, sort of like DS9 did "Little Green men." I don't know if you had a chance to see the TLIAD since it wasn't on the front that long, Brainbin, but I did find myself considering what episodes would be where as the OTL ST crew would be in the Delta Quadrant for 5 seasons; I figure the best OTL TOS episodes would be, along with the best VOY ones, and that'd be pretty much enough for 5 years, throwing in some others - maybe even your Spock/McCoy switch one makes it in my TL. (I can only hope:D)

Keep up the great work here, Brainbin - i don't get a chance to get on here much anymore but if I don't post again before this thread's over (I know it's probably close to the 1986 end) it's been a great ride!

Star Trek Episode Guide: “Yesteryear”

To celebrate the 50th anniversary of the filming of the pilot episode for Star Trek, my ATL take on an (almost) OTL episode: "Yesteryear"...

tumblr_nfzi5zkDRS1qlz9dno1_1280.png

tumblr_nfzi5zkDRS1qlz9dno3_1280.png
tumblr_nfzi5zkDRS1qlz9dno2_1280.png

Production Information

Also Known As: “The One where Spock Saves His Own Life”, “The One with Two Spocks”, “The One where the Muppets Fight to the Death”, “The One with Thelin”
Original Airdate: Monday, September 15, 1969, at 7:30 PM EST
Viewership Rating: 25.5, or 14.92 million households (#2 overall for that week)
Production Order: 04-05
Broadcast Order: 04-01
Written By: D.C. Fontana
Directed By: Joseph Pevney
Music Composed And Conducted By: Gerald Fried

Additional Cast

Guest Stars:

• Mark Lenard as Sarek
  • Miss Jane Wyatt as Amanda Grayson
Featuring (among others):

• Lawrence Montaigne as Thelin
  • Christopher Knight as Young Spock
  • Bartell LaRue as the Guardian Voice
  • Eddie Paskey as Leslie
(Janos Prohaska, performing as the le-matya, and Jim Henson, performing as I-Chaya the sehlat, were uncredited.)

Plot Synopsis

We open on the USS Enterprise is in orbit around a familiar planet - the home of the Guardian of Forever from the classic first-season episode “The City on the Edge of Forever”. We cut down to the Guardian prop (which has been retained), though the backdrop and set is different, more tidy and lived-in than before - the ruins have been cleared away. Kirk provides a log entry, as he, Mr. Spock, and Lt. Leslie materialize from within the maw of the Guardian before a small party of onlookers.

“Captain's log, stardate 6373.4. The Enterprise is in orbit around the planet of the time vortex, the focus of all the timelines of our galaxy. Given our previous experiences interacting with the Guardian, we have been selected for an important mission: to assist a team of historians in the investigation of Federation history.”

However, there’s a hitch: none of the assembled personages - including Dr. Leonard McCoy - recognize Mr. Spock. Spock, annoyed, surmises that Bones is playing a game with him. Kirk gently rebukes Bones, but otherwise brushes it off as he requests “four to beam up”. Mr. Kyle acknowledges the request, though is mildly confused: “Four, sir?”

When Kirk beams up, Bones asks Kyle if he recognizes this Vulcan, and Kyle confirms that he does not, inquiring as to whether he is one of the Federation historians. Kirk becomes annoyed and demands that his first officer be treated with respect. As he says this, the doors sweep open, and an Andorian, dressed in a blue sciences uniform with two braids denoting the rank of Commander, declares “Captain, I assure you no one has ever treated me otherwise.”

Kirk is indignant - “Bones, who is this?”

Bones is bemused, though he should have suspected as much: “Oh, I thought sure you'd know Thelin by now, Jim. He's been your first officer for four years.” With a dramatic sting and a rapid-fire series of zooms of Spock’s, Kirk’s, and then Thelin’s faces, we then cut to the theme song.

We cut back to the conference room - Kirk, Spock, Bones, Scotty, and Thelin - along with a handful of silent officers taking notes and looking generically busy - are discussing the matter. Leslie, who is also present, and in a rare moment of garrulousness, announces that their actions could not possibly have altered the timeline in such a fashion. Kirk agrees, but Spock asks the logical question: “If in this reality I do not belong here, then where do I belong?”

Thelin proves himself no slouch as a scientist and logician either, when he interprets Spock’s question. “One variable is known to differ from your reality, and that is the status of your posting on the Enterprise. If we assume that all other variables are alike, then you should be serving on another vessel in the Starfleet. Mr. Chekov, search the Starfleet database for the service records and current posting of Officer Spock.”

“Right away, Mr. Thelin!” comes the familiar Russian chirp over the intercom. After a pregnant pause… “Keptin, I find no records of an Officer Spock in Starfleet, or having ewen attended the Academy!”

“Fascinating,” comes Spock’s response.

“Well, that doesn’t sound like you, Spock. Maybe in this reality your father convinced you to attend the Vulcan Science Academy?” Kirk asked, in a line that Shatner stole from Nimoy in exchange for not being the star of the episode.

“If I were not a Starfleet officer, I would most certainly be a researcher at the Academy,” Spock agrees.

“Mr. Chekov, I want to widen your search. Search all Federation databases for Spock of Vulcan, son of Sarek. Sort results from the most recent going backward.”

“Another one of your hunches, Mr. Thelin?” Bones asks, intrigued. Surprisingly, this exclamation startles Spock more than any of the other events that have transpired thus far.

Thelin smirks. “As you well know, Doctor, Andorians do not have hunches, they merely anticipate their next targets.”

Chekov once again comes back on the viewscreen to announce that he’s checked the Federation records - no Vulcan named Spock is currently serving at any Federation or Vulcan facility. However, an Ambassador Sarek is recorded as having held bureaucratic offices on seventeen different worlds in the Federation in the last three decades. Sarek was married to a Human woman named Amanda Grayson, but the two separated shortly after the death of their son and she died in transit on the way back home to Earth. The son, named Spock - the only Spock of Vulcan, son of Sarek on record - died at age seven (as this announcement, with uncharacteristic bluntness from Chekov, plays out, a series of facial close-ups of various characters are shown, with a sting and shocked reaction from Kirk as the hammer falls. Spock, naturally, shows no outward response as we fade out to commercial.)

When we return, Kirk makes a log entry announcing that the crew has determined to set right what once went wrong and save Spock’s life. The setting is Spock’s - or rather, Thelin’s - science lab, with the Andorian questioning the Vulcan. Spock is impressed with the acuity of Thelin’s line of questioning, and tells him so. When Kirk and Bones enter to receive Thelin’s report, he presents his findings:

“It is clear that the separation point between our two realities occurred at the moment when Mr. Spock was a child, no older than seven Earth years of age. He departed to participate in the kahs-wan coming of age ordeal of his culture, and recalls having been rescued from a grisly fate by an older cousin named Selek.”

“An older cousin who I had never met before, and have never met again,” Spock adds.

“Mr. Chekov confirms that Mr. Spock has no relatives named Selek, nor any who were alive at the time of his death,” Thelin adds.

“Well done, gentlemen,” Kirk chimes in. “Tell me, Mr. Spock, did this cousin look then like you do now?”

“Indeed, Captain. Clearly I travelled back in time to rescue myself on that fateful day. However, when the Guardian replayed Vulcan history once more, I was on the mission to explore Orion history, and was not able to be in two places at once.”

“Then we’ll have to go back,” Kirk resolves, in that resolute fashion of his.

“Jim!” Bones exclaimed. “Why would you have him go back? We already have a First Officer, the best in the fleet as a matter of fact! And think about all the terrible things that might happen if he goes back and changes the past! He could come back to hear all of us speaking Klingonese!”

“Doctor.” It was Thelin. “We know that Mr. Spock has succeeded, or he would not be alive to tell the tale. He must go back and repeat history. It is a risk, but one we must take. Otherwise, we doom an innocent child to death. Surely that would violate your sworn oath?”

“And besides, Bones,” Kirk adds, unable to hide his smirk. “Risk… is our business.”

After a jump cut, Kirk, Spock, Thelin, and a security detail are on the planet’s surface. Kirk inquires if Spock going back in time will affect the timeline in any other way, and the Guardian enigmatically says that “It is possible, if no other factors are changed.”

Thelin presents Spock with the attire and equipment he has requisitioned in order to blend into the time and place where he is voyaging. This allows the two Science Officers to say their final goodbyes.

“You are an excellent Science Officer, Thelin. The Enterprise and her crew will be poorer for not having you among them.”

“All the same, they will be having you rejoin them, which should compensate for any losses. The change in the timeline will put you in my place, yet I am not aggrieved.”

“Andorians are not known for their charity.”

“True. A warrior race has few sympathies, but one we do possess is for family. In your time plane, you will live and so will your mother. That is valuable. Besides, my life does not hang in the balance. I have no doubt that I will serve another starship in a similar capacity. Live long and prosper in your world, Commander Spock.”

Spock nods. “And you in yours, Commander Thelin.”

Having bid farewell to Thelin, Spock instructs the Guardian to return him to Vulcan, thirty years ago, in the month of Tasmeen, near the city of ShirKahr. leaps through the maw of the Guardian of Forever and vanishes into the images of the harsh Vulcan desert, leaving us on a cliffhanger as we cut to commercial.

Spock arrives at the family estate just in time to see his younger self get into an altercation with the other Vulcan boys, who have teased him mercilessly regarding his human ancestry, in terms which most observers (including the viewing audience) would describe as horrendously racist. Nonetheless, Vulcan “logic” permitted such language - Spock was entirely at fault for allowing himself to lose control of his emotions in such an illogical fashion. Sarek, watching the children with obvious disapproval, notices Spock and approaches him.

He apologizes that Spock had to witness such rampant emotionalism on the part of his son, but Spock merely replies “In the family, all is silence. Nothing more will be said of it.” He introduces himself to Sarek and Amanda as Selek, a distant cousin journeying to the family shrine. Sarek, noting the long journey ahead, invites his “relative” to break his journey for a time.

“Selek” accepts this invitation, and over dinner that evening, he witnesses the family dynamics between Sarek and Amanda and their only son, in perhaps the most surreal foray into kitchen-sink realism ever seen in a science-fiction series. Amanda, clearly, is far more supportive of humanism than Sarek might have expected, and Sarek is clearly annoyed that this is getting to Spock.

“Perhaps he might not have allowed himself to make such a display had we not encouraged him to explore his… human side,” Sarek observes pointedly.

Amanda immediately heads her husband off at the pass. “Perhaps if one of his parents didn’t treat his “human side” as if it were some kind of disease or impurity, he might take some pride in it.”

“Pride is an alien emotion to me, being a Vulcan, and logically I cannot encourage that behaviour in my son.”

“Oh really? Than what would you call your sentiments regarding the superiority of Vulcan logic?” It’s easy to see where Spock gets his infamous Vulcan half-grin from, looking at the expression his mother wears at this very moment.

“I will not engage in this endless debate with you right now, Amanda. Not in front of our guest.”

But Amanda, happy to have needled her husband, won’t give in just yet. “Why, are you afraid he might catch a bad case of ‘human’, too?”

“Selek” can only sit quietly in amazement as his parents act out the internal debate that has raged on in his mind since he was very young. The audience, particularly the Spock/Bones shippers watching in retrospect, can’t help but reminded of the many arguments between the Science Officer and the Chief Medical Officer.

Selek, desperately hoping to change the subject, inquires about the kahs-wan ordeal, only for Sarek to inform him that it will not be for another month. Selek soon realizes that the date he remembers is when he actually went into the desert as a child, not the date he should have gone. Sure enough, that night, Young Spock sneaks into the desert to undergo his own kahs-wan ordeal. Selek follows him.

I-Chaya stubbornly follows Young Spock into the desert, despite the boy’s repeated attempts to shoo his sehlat and order him back home. Soon enough, the two of them are cornered by a ferocious le-matya beast - Vulcan’s greatest predator, and the greatest threat to any young Vulcan undergoing the kahs-wan ordeal. The le-matya moves to attack Young Spock, sensing that he is far less able to defend himself than I-Chaya, but the Vulcan’s faithful pet defends his charge, buying him enough time for Selek to affect rescue.

Selek tracks Young Spock down and reaches him just in time to save him from the le-matya - after a dramatic cut to commercial, naturally - though not in time to save I-Chaya. Though the sehlat saved Young Spock’s life, it was at great personal cost - I-Chaya is dying of his injuries. Selek matter-of-factly informs Young Spock of this, and the young Vulcan heads back to Shi-Kahr to find a healer.

The healer informs Selek and Young Spock that I-Chaya has been gravely injured. Though medicines can keep him alive, he will be in agony, and a shadow of his former self. The healer can also put I-Chaya down painlessly and instantly, sparing him from any further suffering. The healer asks Selek what should be done, but Selek defers to Young Spock.

Selek refrains from directly advising Young Spock on the right course of action, merely asking him what would be logical. Young Spock decides that for I-Chaya to live out the rest of his days in agony when he could be painlessly put down is not logical, and authorizes the healer to euthanize his beloved pet. Selek is pleased that his younger self learned much from his ersatz kahs-wan ordeal and takes his charge home to Sarek and Amanda. Amanda cannot hide her disappointment at her son’s decision to follow the Vulcan way of life, though she is aware that it was inevitable. Sarek cannot hide the almost human pride he has in his son’s achievement. That evening, at the burial rite held for I-Chaya, Selek counsels each of his parents, gifted with this unique opportunity to speak to them as equals.

“Lady Amanda, though your son has chosen the Vulcan way, he will always appreciate your love and compassion. Though these may be emotions, they are not illogical; all beings require them to truly thrive, including Vulcans. I have only been in your company for a short time, but I can already see that your husband benefits greatly from your love. So too will Spock.”

Amanda is moved almost to tears, especially after Sarek nods in acknowledgement of Selek’s words.

“Sarek, you must remember that logic is relative - Spock’s future actions may differ from your plans for him, but they will be logical, for that is the Vulcan way. It will be most logical for you to understand his actions.”

“A strange request, but I will honour it, Selek. You have proven yourself a very wise and logical Vulcan, an inspiration to myself as well as my son.”

“Your words are most gracious, Sarek. But now that the rite has been completed, I have no reason to remain - I must journey on.”

“My home is yours if you pass this way again, cousin.”

“I think I shall not.” At this, he raises his hand in the Vulcan salute. “Sarek, Amanda, Spock. May you all live long and prosper.” Sarek and Spock return the gesture; Amanda merely bows in respect.

“Peace and long life, Selek,” Sarek calls after him, as he walks off into the horizon.

With that, Spock traverses back through the maw of the Guardian of Forever, where Kirk is still waiting.

“That was fast. I might as well not have sent to others back up to the ship,” he remarks.

“If our analysis was correct, Captain, you were wise to do so anyway. You will find that Commander Thelin is no longer aboard - and indeed that none of the crew will remember having served with him.”

Kirk flips open his communicator. “Kirk to Enterprise.”

At this, a cut to the bridge of the Enterprise, with Scotty at the conn.

“Scott here, sir. Are you and Mr. Spock ready to beam up?”

“Affirmative, Mr. Scott - kindly have Commander Thelin meet us in the transporter room.” At this, Scott does a double-take, looking to the other bridge officers for clarification - they seem even more baffled than he does.

“I’m sorry - Commander Who, sir?”

At this, cut back to the planet’s surface - with Kirk and Spock exchanging bemused glances, Spock raising an eyebrow. “Fascinating,” he mutters.

“Oh, sorry about that, I meant to say Dr. McCoy.”

Cut back to the bridge - Scotty doesn’t look at all convinced, but shrugs it off. “Uh… a’right, sir, sending the Doctor to the transporter room right away.”

“Very good, Mr. Scott. Transporter room?”

Cut to the transporter room, Mr. Kyle manning the controls.

“Kyle here, sir.”

“Beam us up, Mr. Cowell.”

The familiar brass fanfare kicks in as the two materialize.

“So what happened down there, Spock?”

“One small change this time. A pet died.”

“Oh, well, that wouldn’t mean much in the course of time, now would it?”

“That would depend very much on whose pet it is, Captain.”

Enter Bones.

“About time you two got back from your vacation. While you’ve been running all over time and space, I’ve been running the annual crew physicals, and you’re the last two on my list. You first, Spock - I've got my medical scanners all set up for a Vulcan, since I have to recalibrate every single time I run a physical, just for you. Don’t you feel special.”

“Doctor, you do not know your good fortune. If times were different, you would have to calibrate for an Andorian.”

“An… Andorian?! What is that, is that supposed to be some kind of a joke? I thought Vulcans didn’t tell jokes.”

“Times change, Doctor. Times change.”

And with that, we cut to the Enterprise flying out of orbit from the Guardian’s planet, as the familiar fanfare plays us out. Times may change, but the first broadcast episode of the fourth season still ends just like most every episode of the last three did. Of course, this is the first to end with the credit “CO-EXECUTIVE PRODUCER GENE L. COON”…

Additional Information

• This episode was the second-highest rated of the fourth season, behind the season finale, “The Sleepers of Selene”. It was also the highest-rated episode of Star Trek up to that point.
  • Mark Lenard and Jane Wyatt make their second appearances as Sarek and Amanda. Mark Lenard had previously appeared as the Romulan Commander in “Balance of Terror”, making this his third appearance.
  • Lawrence Montaigne also makes his third appearance, becoming the first actor to play a member of three different alien species: a Romulan, a Vulcan, and an Andorian.
  • The Guardian of Forever, voiced by Bart LaRue, makes its second appearance, following “The City on the Edge of Forever”.
  • The controversial endorsement of animal euthanasia in the episode’s final act received more letters of protest than any other plotline on Star Trek. “We considered it a sign of progress that Spock mercy killing his pet got more protests than Kirk kissing a black woman,” D.C. Fontana was quoted as saying in 1973’s The World of Star Trek.
  • This is Eddie Paskey’s last spoken appearance on the show. He would depart before the end of the season due to health concerns.
  • As noted above, this is the first episode in which Gene L. Coon is credited as Co-Executive Producer.
  • The fate of Thelin, never directly revealed until Star Trek: The Next Voyage, became a popular topic in early fandom. The perfunctory cameos by Thelin in fan fiction were already a cliché by the time the miniseries would air.
  • Thelin's explanation of the separation point” would provide a useful reference for explaining the burgeoning genre of alternate history to newcomers. The term would prevail over competing terms such as "point of divergence". The separation point would also be formative in the development of the parallelism principle of meta-fiction.
---

I feel the need to note that the OTL episode of Star Trek (TAS) was written by D.C. Fontana, and some of her dialogue is reused here, (obviously) without her permission.

Thanks to e of pi for assisting with the editing, as usual.

Thanks for the 'Yesteryear' write up BrainBin - as good as the TAS episode was this would have made a fantastic live action show!

No bird-men scientist/historian alas - but cool Andorian to make up for it!

A wonderful episode for your Star Trek. It was always my favourite episode of the animated Star Trek OTL and I have the distinct feeling it would be one of my favourite episodes of Star Trek ITTL.