An interesting tidbit of information from the TVTropes.org page on Cheers:

John Ratzenberger (IOTL auditioned for the role of Norm on Cheers, but he bombed so badly that he knew he had failed the audition.

So, figuring he had nothing to lose, he made up the character of the bar know-it-all on the spot--and it worked, as they hired him to play Cliff Clavin. (In fact, the script writers would leave spaces in the script for Cliff's little known facts.)

Is there such a character here?

I asked that a while ago, and was told sadly not; the butterflies are just too great.

Oh, sudden thought. I know you said Joan Collins isn't in Wasps, but would it be reasonable to say there are characters like Alexis and Krystal, constantly making verbal barbs at each other?

If so, I can imagine critics overusing the word "waspish"...

I'd like to take this opportunity to make a special announcement! Up to this point, there has not been a central repository for all of the incredible artwork that nixonshead has so generously provided for this timeline, though a number of you have made requests to that effect. Well, that has all changed. Allow me to unveil the Illustrations page for TWR on the AH.com Wiki! This includes several images which have not been posted on this thread and therefore can exclusively be seen on that page. More images will be added there at a later juncture.

While I knew the Black Arrow was a real OTL launch vehicle, I hadn't realized the Black Prince (1) was pretty faithful to a real OTL paper rocket. The Centaur version seems like it would have a decent payload, till I remember that the "comparable" Atlas had that weird engine staging, and the modern Atlas V has immensely higher liftoff thrust. Still very cool… sorry… intriguing!
Thank you! Alas, even the Black Prince 34/Heavy is never going to be able to compete with American-made rockets, but it'll still do a lot better than any British rockets IOTL.

An intreguing update. It's good to see the BAC 111 becoming a success. It was the first plane I ever flew on - a charter flight by Dan-Air (not to be confused with the Danish airline).
Same here! My first flight was a Dan Air 111 to Jersey. I also had a model of it hanging from my ceiling (though in British Caledonian colours, IIRC), so I've always had a soft spot for the jet. Nice to see it enjoying greater success here!
That's an intriguing coincidence. Dan-Air appears to have been a pretty big mover and shaker during its peak years in the 1970s and 1980s, despite their aged fleet. Given that you both flew your first flight with them, I was curious enough to seek out BAC-111 planes in Dan-Air livery, and to my surprise I encountered quite a number of them, including this one:

PlanespottersNet_242453.jpg

I hope that's brought about a blast from the past, especially since the plane in question (a model 515-FB) is currently (as at July 1, 1984) touched down at none other than Jersey Airport.

NCW8 said:
Manufacturing the Blue Streak rockets in the UK and then shipping them to the other side of the planet to be launched sounds like it might be a little expensive, especially if they are used in quantity. Will there be suggestions that some of the manufacturing be moved to Australia ?
nixonshead said:
I wouldn't expect it to be much more expensive than shipping rockets from France to Kourou. The cost and complexity of packing it for shipping, dock handling, etc, would be about the same, with only the fuel and crew costs of the ship being greater (which would probably be peanuts in space programme budgeting). I could imagine them being shipped in bulk - say ten at a time - then stored on-site in Queensland so there's a buffer should the shipping be delayed, but I doubt they'd consider manufacturing in Aus. As Brainbin pointed out in the post, Australia isn't really set up for this sort of thing, so it would have to be started pretty much from scratch. Plus having the major UK component transferred to Aus would be poiltically... difficult back in Blighty (assuming that, unlike IOTL, the 1980s has a British government that sees the UK space industry as something worthwhile rather than a massive waste of money we'd be better off without).
The Blue Streak rockets will continue to be manufactured in the UK - only they have the industrial base needed to absorb the ramp-up in production once Black Prince 3 is introduced (necessitating as many as five Blue Streak cores per launch). By this time (the mid-1980s) dedicated craft capable of ferrying the cores just about halfway across the world can be designed and built. In the mid-1970s, on the other hand? They would have to requisition a ship for the task, and the optimal vessel for the job is a WWII-vintage Landing Ship, Tank. Naturally, not many were still in service by the 1970s, but fortunately, one of them still was: the RFA Empire Gull. As the prefix suggests, she was transferred into the Royal Fleet Auxiliary in 1970, where (IOTL) she remained until being scrapped in 1980. She would be chosen for the role because of her ability to disembark at Cooktown Space Centre, which has no port, as demonstrated in the image below:

RFA_Empire_Gull.jpg

She's rather sluggish, however, with a cruising speed at 10 knots. Our estimates have her making only three round-trip voyages between Southampton and Cooktown (via Halifax, to pick up the Centaurs, on the way Down Under) per year. This should be no problem in the era of Black Prince 1 and 2, but (once again) by the time of Black Prince 30/32/34, a ship that's either faster or larger (preferably both) will be needed to meet the increased demand for Blue Streak cores. Her replacement would probably look something like OTL's MV Delta Mariner.

Fun fact: the return trip from Cooktown to Southampton appears to be slightly faster via Suez as opposed to heading back through Panama - but since the stop-off at Halifax is needed to pick up the Centaur cores, the route to Cooktown will always be through Panama - meaning that the Empire Gull and any of her successors would likely be circumnavigating the Earth on each and every round-trip voyage, delivering cores which, when assembled, will launch satellites that will also circumnavigate the Earth, albeit at a much, much faster rate.

Joyous. Great work both Brainbin and e of pi, and thanks for including the background on the inspiration for the earlier use of common core boosters--I remember asking about that one when we met in person. I also like the idea of using the Europa-type model of each country builds one stage, but with the Commonwealth instead.
Thank you, Thande! :) We figured that Wilson would see the Europa model as a good idea, but with France and West Germany as the wrong partners for that particular project (of course, as we've seen in other updates, Britain does continue to collaborate with European partners in other fields, particularly those related to military aviation).

Thande said:
The British/Commonwealth rockets both OTL and ATL do nicely evoke Gerry Anderson in style...
The design was very much a three-way collaboration between myself, e of pi, and nixonshead. I requested the blue-white-and-red colour scheme (in fact, I wanted more blue than was ultimately used), and the placement of the flags (you will note they are arranged in the same order as the stages of the Black Prince rocket - UK at the bottom, Canada in the middle, and Australia at the top). As far as any reference to Gerry Anderson, it certainly wasn't intentional on my end (having only a passing familiarity with his most famous work, Thunderbirds), but I know for a fact that e of pi is a big fan, and (although I can't say for sure) I don't think I'm going out on a limb to assume that nixonshead is one as well, and perhaps that might have played a part ;)

Thande said:
Oh, and the starting obscure Landshark wiki reference made me smile :D
I always admired the bluntness of the original Wiki entry on the British Space Program before it was expanded for clarity at the cost of brevity, hence my allusion here. Glad you enjoyed it :D

That basically got us Black Prince 1 and 2, and then I was reading more and found that the aerospace consolidation in the UK was a big priority of Wilson. With him being in office still, it seemed reasonable that the formation of BAe might happen earlier, and there were a couple British plans for a new 737-class airliner in the period. Getting them to use the CFM-56 to fix their issues with under-powered, inefficient engines was the other key part of turning out what'll eventually be TTL's third-most-common narrowbody short-range jetliner--737 has a huge market behind it, and ditto for the A320 once it makes its entry, but the BAe-111 should be able to carve out a solid space as a third, probably beating out the MD-80/90/95/Boeing 717 family in sales, though that's after the TL ends.
Just to add to this, we definitely saw the (IOTL, abandoned) plans for the 111-700 to be far and away the best shot for BAC/BAe to manufacture a commercially successful airliner. Unfortunately, that meant ditching the planned Rolls-Royce engines - though we were able to soften the blow by giving them work elsewhere, including on a project which will be mentioned in a future update.

John Ratzenberger (IOTL auditioned for the role of Norm on Cheers, but he bombed so badly that he knew he had failed the audition.

So, figuring he had nothing to lose, he made up the character of the bar know-it-all on the spot--and it worked, as they hired him to play Cliff Clavin. (In fact, the script writers would leave spaces in the script for Cliff's little known facts.)

Is there such a character here?
As Daihbid says, there is no Cliff Clavin character on The Patriot. Most regrettable, yes, but as I've said many times: I'm not writing a utopia!

Unknown said:
Amusingly, he appeared on an episode of Magnum P.I. (as the villain, no less), and his buddy on that show was named Norm (just like on Cheers).
A deliberate reference, no doubt.

Oh, sudden thought. I know you said Joan Collins isn't in Wasps, but would it be reasonable to say there are characters like Alexis and Krystal, constantly making verbal barbs at each other?
Undoubtedly so. What's a soap opera without catfights?

Daibhid C said:
If so, I can imagine critics overusing the word "waspish"...
I imagine a definite overuse of the terms "barbs" and "zingers" :p (Even you just did it!)

Last edited:
The design was very much a three-way collaboration between myself, e of pi, and nixonshead. I requested the blue-white-and-red colour scheme (in fact, I wanted more blue than was ultimately used), and the placement of the flags (you will note they are arranged in the same order as the stages of the Black Prince rocket - UK at the bottom, Canada in the middle, and Australia at the top). As far as any reference to Gerry Anderson, it certainly wasn't intentional on my end (having only a passing familiarity with his most famous work, Thunderbirds), but I know for a fact that e of pi is a big fan, and (although I can't say for sure) I don't think I'm going out on a limb to assume that nixonshead is one as well, and perhaps that might have played a part ;)

I wouldn't say it looks like the designs here were specifically inspired by Gerry Anderson shows. I suspect it would be more accurate to say that these designs and those of Derek Meddings (chief of effects for the Anderson shows, and most of the James Bond movies) show some clear similarities because they were both heavily inspired by real 1960s aerospace hardware.

Are Shogun and the Thorn Birds still made?

(BTW, have you read Richard Chamberlain's autobiography?)

At least George and Marcia aren't going to divorce. Yet. (And, even if this happens, I don't see it being as bad a split as OTL.)

The third anniversary of That Wacky Redhead (November 18th) is next week, and those of you who are longtime readers may be aware of my two annual surveys. The first is my reader demographics survey. Just as is the case with television, age is all that matters - to participate in the survey, simply post your year of birth (or PM it to me, if you'd rather not announce it publicly - you'll be nothing more than one of over fifty data points on the chart) and we'll see where (or rather, when) you stand amongst the thread's readership! In addition, I've been asking my readers to provide a list of their favourite episodes of Star Trek (I allow all 79 episodes - counting both parts of "The Menagerie" as one, but "The Cage" separately on top of that). Those submissions I receive are counted toward a "master" list intending to represent the tastes of the thread in general. Please provide no fewer than five and no more than twenty choices - you may also include honourable mentions, which will be used to break "ties" - otherwise, an episode listed is given one point, regardless of how it is ranked on an ordinal list. I'll report my findings from both surveys on the 18th.

I wouldn't say it looks like the designs here were specifically inspired by Gerry Anderson shows. I suspect it would be more accurate to say that these designs and those of Derek Meddings (chief of effects for the Anderson shows, and most of the James Bond movies) show some clear similarities because they were both heavily inspired by real 1960s aerospace hardware.
Well then, it's obviously a case of great minds thinking alike :cool:

Are Shogun and the Thorn Birds still made?
Good question! We may yet touch on them moving forward.

Unknown said:
(BTW, have you read Richard Chamberlain's autobiography?)
No, though I must admit to being somewhat confused at such a specific question :confused: Is there any particular reason I should have?

Unknown said:
At least George and Marcia aren't going to divorce. Yet. (And, even if this happens, I don't see it being as bad a split as OTL.)
I think it's safe to say that they will not be divorcing before the end of this timeline. Beyond that? Who knows...

1991, the one in the next gen when picard is trapped with childern, he trying to act 'normal' not to scare them was priceless or the original series one when figthoing the gorn(was so campy and chessy yet loved it)

Born 1981. Have seen the majority of the original (I'd say 65+ episodes) and TAS. (All of TNG, DS9 & VOY. Most of ENT [Skipping parts of the 3rd season arc]. All 12 movies)

1991. Began as a TNG child, subsequently saw TAS on VHS. I got into TOS because it was the elusive one I could never find on TV, and was able to dedicatedly watch TOS around the millenia when Scifi played that back-to-back with Twilight Zone. And then I got the DVD boxsets when those came out and the rest is history. My fandom is weird because I saw the Original Series after watching the animated series, so basically it was cartoons come to life.

Concerning my favorite episodes, "The Corbomite Maneuver" is probably my favorite season one episode, along with "Balance of Terror", "Omega Glory", and "Errand of Mercy". I think it would have made a better first aired episode than the pilot or "The Man Trap". I'm also very much a fan of "Mirror, Mirror" and "A Piece of the Action". Concerning "Mirror, Mirror", one of my early introductions to TOS before I saw more than scenes of the series was a comic one-shot called "Fragile Glass", which was a comic sequel to that episode. I, not knowing about the Mirror Universe, thought it was just the mainstream Star Trek universe. Given comic books in the 90s and "Xtreme" redesigns, it seemed reasonable (which says a lot of negative things about 90s comics). I really like the series too much to be picky about favorite episodes. I suppose my favorites are the normal ones, along with any of the alternate earth episodes.

I actually am a fan of TOS, even though I'm from more of tue TNG era. My Mom actually got me into it as a kid (she used to watch it with her Dad after church when it was in syndication). The only channel that showed it when I was in middle school was a UHF channel out of Milwaukee that rarely came in. Since it was on at 11 or midnight, i had to record ot and pray the recording was in good enough shape to watch :)

If I had to pick some favorite episodes, I would have to go with Mirror, Mirror, Balance of Terror and Space Seed (the first I ever saw! Which was a treat, since i loved Wrath of Khan). I also have a soft spot for the Tholian Web, even though i havent seen it in years and cant remembwr why I loved it so much.

1986. There isn't really an episode that sticks out to me too much because I have only seen a few and it has been many years since I've seen even those. Trouble With Tribbles I guess.

Based largely on what I can call up positive memories of off the top of my head,:
"The Menagerie"
"Balance of Terror"
"Who Mourns for Adonais?"
"The Conscience of the King"
"Arena"

I was wondering if the better economic climate, more population etc means attractions such as RMS Queen Mary in Long Beach do significantly better ITTL?

Several boneheaded decisions regarding the ship were made when she arrived (removing her engines, crappy rewiring, change if use/destruction of rooms etc) as well as general bad management over the years almost caused her to be lost. Can The Queen be saved and thrive on This Wacky Redhead's world please?

My current top 10 in alphabetical order.

A Piece of the Action
Assignment: Earth
I, Mudd
Mirror, Mirror
Space Seed
The City on the Edge of Forever
The Naked Time
The Squire of Gothos
The Trouble with Tribbles
Wolf in the Fold