Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, next year, we can move this to a Finished TL nomination:D. Ok, OK, yeah, this honestly does feel like an end and I think that, with gamers at least, Shiggy's death will probably be considered the "end of the 90s" as it were. Shiggy, our glorious Nintendo-Wank has ended with you. It was a fun ride. :( :eek: :)

Well... an end of the Timeline. I didn't expect that.

With all the near nonstop updating from November 2014 to now... I almost felt it would just continue on.

If a timeline has to end one point as a segue to a sequel, I guess now would be a good time to do it.

Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long to see Massively Multiplayer.

With the timeline officially finished, will there be a new thread purely containing the story posts made?

Well... an end of the Timeline. I didn't expect that.

With all the near nonstop updating from November 2014 to now... I almost felt it would just continue on.

If a timeline has to end one point as a segue to a sequel, I guess now would be a good time to do it.

Hopefully, we won't have to wait too long to see Massively Multiplayer.

With the timeline officially finished, will there be a new thread purely containing the story posts made?

With all the nonstop updating from November 2014 to now, it's amazing we were able to keep it up as long as we did! XD

And yeah, we'll be posting this in the Finished Timelines forum sometime soon.

So bittersweet that this TL is ending as this is one of my Favorite timelines on this site. So many memorable moments. I think we should have a best moments poll here.

p.s totally looking forward to Massively Multiplayer see you there.

For all I love this timeline and I'd rather see it continue as is, I do think this is the perfect time to end it. 2000 really feels like a divide between two eras of gaming, a natural place to change things up.

Really, 2000 to 9-11 feels like a cultural drift in retrospect, killing time as the era changed and the big event came to shape the 00's. Turning the page here fits.

Congratulations on making it this far, it's been a great timeline to read and enjoy.

I hadn't expected the TL to end either, but it's good to know that the continuation is already being planned. It's definitely a good stopping point, to catch your breath and let the creative juices come back up to a simmer. I'll definitely be here for Massively Multiplayer. Just be sure to post a link here to it when it goes up, so we can all find it! :D

Awesome update! All the tributes to Miyamoto-san brought tears to my eyes, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

All of those games sound awesome, and I'm liking what I see about the Katana, backwards compatible too? Nice touch.
Is the description of the Jet Set Radio character on a skateboard a butterfly or a typo? OTL I thought they were all on rollerblades. I'm also guessing it doesn't get renamed, OTL it released in the U.S. as Jet Grind Radio (according to one theory posed by the writers at Official Dreamcast Magazine: it was so they could call their booth babes "Jet Grind Girls").

What does the Katana look like? In comparison to OTL's Dreamcast?

I hadn't expected the TL to end either, but it's good to know that the continuation is already being planned. It's definitely a good stopping point, to catch your breath and let the creative juices come back up to a simmer. I'll definitely be here for Massively Multiplayer. Just be sure to post a link here to it when it goes up, so we can all find it! :D

Awesome update! All the tributes to Miyamoto-san brought tears to my eyes, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

All of those games sound awesome, and I'm liking what I see about the Katana, backwards compatible too? Nice touch.
Is the description of the Jet Set Radio character on a skateboard a butterfly or a typo? OTL I thought they were all on rollerblades. I'm also guessing it doesn't get renamed, OTL it released in the U.S. as Jet Grind Radio (according to one theory posed by the writers at Official Dreamcast Magazine: it was so they could call their booth babes "Jet Grind Girls").

What does the Katana look like? In comparison to OTL's Dreamcast?

It's a butterfly. There are skateboarders AND rollerbladers in OTL's Jet Set Radio.

And the Katana looks like OTL's Dreamcast but slightly bulkier, it's about half an inch taller and maybe a bit wider too. It's still mostly white though.

I figured an E3 would be a good thing to have in the final update, as a "preview of coming attractions" of sorts. Of course, until Massively Multiplayer does start, feel free to post ideas and the like here or PM them to us! And we'll continue answering questions as well.

Sadly, there are some errors in this final post:
A.
Brittany: With the Xbox, right now it looks to be quantity over quality, and both The Covenant and The Witcher look like really fun and amazing games, I'm going to go back and play more of The Covenant, Ted, are you gonna join me for some multiplayer or just stand here looking for more games?
I think you meant the opposite.
B.
Majora's Mask takes place in a world full of mystery and danger. It is designed to play like Ocarina of Time, but with a fresh set of challenges to keep even the most seasoned Zelda players guessing. The game takes place over three days, and that is a strict time limit. If you fail to save the world in those three days, the moon will crash into Termina as you have seen. That means that you must plan carefully and manipulate time to accomplish everything you need to accomplish. There are six dungeons in all to explore, and each dungeon will require different items and masks to complete. These dungeons are home to guardian spirits that Link can befriend in order to protect the world and prevent the moon from falling.”
That was Temple Of Time ITTL.

Well, killing off the man who's nearly synonymous with Nintendo is certainly a good capstone to this story. Good to hear that it will continue under a different name.

The biggest problem I had with this update is that you referred to NiGHTS as "he". NiGHTS is not a "he", they are completely without gender. Other than that (and what others have pointed out), great job.

The biggest problem I had with this update is that you referred to NiGHTS as "he". NiGHTS is not a "he", they are completely without gender. Other than that (and what others have pointed out), great job.
True, but as far as I know, there aren't any completely gender neutral pronouns.* So "he" tends to be used as the default (at least in English); far from ideal, but better than referring to a sentient being as "it".

*I suppose they could've used "s/he", but that would presume that they've read the Star Trek: New Frontier novels (unless Peter David didn't invent the term, in which case disregard presumption :D:eek:).

Well, I will be looking forward to Massively Multiplayer, because Player Two Start has been one of the best TL I've ever read here.

Some observations about this last update:

I was right about Nirvana becoming the Foo Fighters after Kurt Cobain's departure. :p

It looks like Massively Multiplayer's version of Final Fantasy IX, despite not sharing much with its OTL equivalent, will be just as much of a nostalgia trip as Zidane Tribal's quest but, unlike the game we got, it won't go from fantasy (I-VI) to sci-fi (VII-VIII) all of a sudden, since both elements will be present from the start.

Extremis will enrage animal rights associations all over the world. :D

The name of the Sega Katana, on the other hand, will piss plenty of Chinese and Koreans off.

Kalinske's retirement won't last long. He'll be scooped up by Bill Gates or Steve Jobs (if he'll enter the gaming industry at all) soon enough.

I've begun the process of posting this TL to the Finished Timelines forum. I've submitted the first chunk for approval, once the topic is up I'll begin posting the rest. In 200,000 character chunks, it will take some time to completely post as this TL clocks in at around 1,800 pages and about 800,000 words.

A guess of mine is that Apple will be the competitor of the Gameboy brand with some sort of proto-iPhone like device. Possible partnering with Nokia.

We'll probably going to see in Massively Multiplayer. It would be interesting to see an earlier iPod/portable gaming device.

Though you guys are not going to see it until Massively Multiplayer arrives, I'm working on TTL's Green Lantern 2 and Wonder Woman films. Of course, it is already established that Catherine Zeta-Jones will be playing Wonder Woman and Billy Zane and Joe Morton will return to their roles. Though I have tentative casts for both in my head, does anyone want to speculate? ;)

Though you guys are not going to see it until Massively Multiplayer arrives, I'm working on TTL's Green Lantern 2 and Wonder Woman films. Of course, it is already established that Catherine Zeta-Jones will be playing Wonder Woman and Billy Zane and Joe Morton will return to their roles. Though I have tentative casts for both in my head, does anyone want to speculate? ;)
Speculation commences:
Michael Clarke Duncan as Ares,
Christopher Lee as The Voice of Darkseid,
Nathan Fillion as Steve Trevor,
Michael Douglas -or- Kurt Russell as Col./Gen. Darnell,
Demi Moore as Hera,
Famke Janssen as Queen Hypolita,
Jude Law as The Duke of Deception?
--Speculation ends--:D

I think I remember someone casting M.C.D. for another part somewhere (might not've even been this TL), but I don't care, he was awesome. Another big talent that died too damn young.

I'm also working on a future contribution of my own for Massively Multiplayer, the TTL exclusive Virtua Quest 4 (1-3 were based on "pre-production" ideas from my perpetually 'in development' TL that Ry & Nivek liked enough to include, which also gave me the motivation to finish them. VQ4 however, is using a couple of the new TTL exclusive characters, and putting a different spin on a couple of OTL characters).
VQ4 Characters:
Playable:
Akira Yuki
Sarah Bryant
Jacky Bryant
Pai Chan
Kage-Maru
Wolf Hawkfield
Ralph Burce (TTL exclusive to Saturn ver. of VF2)
Cynthia Grennel (TTL exclusive to Saturn ver. of VF2)
Kanna Saipachi
(TTL exclusive to Saturn ver. of VF2)
Aoi Umenokoji
Taka-Arashi
Non-Playable:
Lion Rafale
Brad Burns (OTL VF4Evo)
Eva Durix (OTL VF anime)

Status
Not open for further replies.