Player Two Start: An SNES-CD Timeline

Status
Not open for further replies.
You now, that bit about RTS got me thinking: what is the status of Paradox Interactive going into the future?

The only thing worse than no FMA, is no EU4, or even any Europa Universalis games. :(:mad:

You killed off the Rooster Teeth creator and Bob Dylan?!?

You bastard...:D

Seriously, though, good update.

I'm just waiting for a certain Trump to make an appearance.

Maybe George Harrison's death from cancer will be butterflied away...

Man, without Red vs Blue to keep Halo popular, I see the Xbox having a MUCH harder time carving out a niche when Microsoft launches it. (which I still see happening, because Bill Gates really has a thing for getting a Microsoft device in the living room).

I wonder if Microsoft still tries to buy out WebTV ITTL.

Man, without Red vs Blue to keep Halo popular, I see the Xbox having a MUCH harder time carving out a niche when Microsoft launches it. (which I still see happening, because Bill Gates really has a thing for getting a Microsoft device in the living room).

Can we be sure Halo will even exist ITTL? It had one hell of a development cycle, starting as an RTS, then a Third-Person shooter, and finally the First-Person shooter we all know today. As much as I love the series (Combat Evolved on PC was the first FPS I ever played), I feel it would break my suspension of disbelief if the game didn't get butterflied massively. Hell, Bungie was a Mac OS developer for a long-time, and their acquisition by Microsoft was hardly set in stone.

Would that huge @$$ tornado prevent the movie Twister from being made/released? Or was that already out?

What does the "Saturn's Ring" look like?

Bungie could end up being bought by SEGA or Nintendo.

I doubt that it would be "Great Hero Kirby" at all.

To clarify Kirby of the Stars, or rather Hoshi no Kirby is the series name for the most part, used in nearly Kirby platformers in Japan. Exceptions would be for Canvas Curse, Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, and Rainbow Curse.

Mmm...I'll get back to you on Kirby's Adventure then ^_^

You now, that bit about RTS got me thinking: what is the status of Paradox Interactive going into the future?

The only thing worse than no FMA, is no EU4, or even any Europa Universalis games.

Hmm...I think they'll show up at some point, they'd start out with PC games as IOTL.

Can we be sure Halo will even exist ITTL? It had one hell of a development cycle, starting as an RTS, then a Third-Person shooter, and finally the First-Person shooter we all know today. As much as I love the series (Combat Evolved on PC was the first FPS I ever played), I feel it would break my suspension of disbelief if the game didn't get butterflied massively. Hell, Bungie was a Mac OS developer for a long-time, and their acquisition by Microsoft was hardly set in stone.

Hmmm....this'll have to be addressed at some point in the future.

Would that huge @$$ tornado prevent the movie Twister from being made/released? Or was that already out?

What does the "Saturn's Ring" look like?

Bungie could end up being bought by SEGA or Nintendo.

Actually, that tornado would quite possibly make a Twister 2 more likely. We'll see down the road. As for the "Ring", that one is Nivek's idea (and I think starwarsfan contributed as well), so you'll have to ask them later on.

The plan for the next few updates is this: Regular June update, E3 1997, then the 1997 pop culture update. I'm about to have my vacation from work, so I may not post the next update for at least a week (could be sooner if I get bored).

A little note on the Lewinsky scandal: So far, it's progressing as IOTL, Clinton stopped sleeping with her in March 1997 OTL and it went down the same way here. Now, will that blow up into the huge scandal that happened IOTL? We'll see....

It figures that in a memorial update, tons of people die[TONGUE LODGED AS FIRMLY IN CHEEK AS POSSIBLE.] I'm kidding, Iwata is dearly missed but the Butterflies giveth, the Butterflies taketh away:(

Last edited:
1. When did you start using your alternate Anita Sarkeesian?
2. Has her philosophy been altered any by the different world or is she the same radical feminist we all know and "love"?

1. When did you start using your alternate Anita Sarkeesian?
2. Has her philosophy been altered any by the different world or is she the same radical feminist we all know and "love"?
She's not radical but given that you put quotes-for-emphasis around love, i'm guessing you aren't as favorable towards her as I am. I'm not even that hot on her. I think her reasoning is flawed even if I do still agree with her conclusions. However, she doesn't deserve the Misogyny, Death Threats, Rape Threats and even some Anti-Semitism she's reviewed.

Last edited:
She's not radical but given that you put quotes-for-emphasis around love, i'm guessing you aren't as favorable towards her as I am. I'm not even that hot on her. I think her reasoning is flawed even if I do still agree with her conclusions. However, she doesn't deserve the Misogyny, Death Threats, Rape Threats and even some Anti Semitism she's reviewed.

Isn't Sarkeesian an Armenian surname? :confused:

I don't think she's all that either; even though I agree with her whenever she talks about sexist tropes in video games, some of her views are disturbingly gender essentialist, and she has a very manichean outlook on... almost everything, really. But recognizing that she has both a good and a bad side, just like everyone else on this planet, is heresy on the internet nowadays, she's either the greatest advocate for women's rights ever, or Satan incarnate. :p

That said, I wonder if the success some Japanese strategy games are having on the ATL's consoles could somehow influence Paradox's games on PC: an earlier Sengoku, maybe? :D

And, I can see some Japanese companies attempting to sell "westernized" takes on genres that are even more stereotypically "Japanese" than RPGs, such as dating sims and otome games, abroad. We've had Tokimeki Memorial, but we could have more. Twilight as a video game? :D :D

Last edited:
Isn't Sarkeesian an Armenian surname? :confused:

Yes, it is. However, she's often caricaturized by some of her critics with image macro derivatives of the anti-Semitic 'le happy merchant' picture (which originated on /pol/ I think). That does make me wonder if we'll still see 4chan or an equivalent pop up here. I think something like it is inevitable given the popularity of Japanese image boards but who knows?

That said, I wonder if the success some Japanese strategy games are having on the ATL's consoles could somehow influence Paradox's games on PC: an earlier Sengoku, maybe? :D

I also wonder if there might be more success for games that riff on Japanese RPG mechanics, like that witches game mentioned in several previous posts. Will a Septerra Core maybe see a port to consoles?

She's not radical but given that you put quotes-for-emphasis around love, i'm guessing you aren't as favorable towards her as I am. I'm not even that hot on her. I think her reasoning is flawed even if I do still agree with her conclusions. However, she doesn't deserve the Misogyny, Death Threats, Rape Threats and even some Anti Semitism she's reviewed.

It's just that the more I hear about her the more her "listen and believe" nonsense makes her sound like a cult leader. She doesn't want to discuss her views. She just wants a pulpit to spread her "gospel of Feminism". I'm all for letting Anita speak, but it doesn't mean I have to like what she has to say. She doesn't deserve the hate directed at her. Nobody does. But her methods seem really sketchy. She seems to start at a conclusion ("video games are sexist") and is determined to manipulate the data to suit that conclusion. Blocking comments on YouTube has the effect of silencing any legitimate criticism people may have.

I'm just saying that I hope that the improvements in the video game industry have the effect of butterflying that Sarkeesian out of existence. I'd be fine with a more moderate Sarkeesian if that means the Sarkeesian who actively attempted to misinform her audience through her videos doesn't exist.

It's just that the more I hear about her the more her "listen and believe" nonsense makes her sound like a cult leader. She doesn't want to discuss her views. She just wants a pulpit to spread her "gospel of Feminism". I'm all for letting Anita speak, but it doesn't mean I have to like what she has to say. She doesn't deserve the hate directed at her. Nobody does. But her methods seem really sketchy. She seems to start at a conclusion ("video games are sexist") and is determined to manipulate the data to suit that conclusion. Blocking comments on YouTube has the effect of silencing any legitimate criticism people may have.

I'm just saying that I hope that the improvements in the video game industry have the effect of butterflying that Sarkeesian out of existence. I'd be fine with a more moderate Sarkeesian if that means the Sarkeesian who actively attempted to misinform her audience through her videos doesn't exist.
Be honest, if you were Anita, wouldn't you? I would. Again, I think her logic is bullshit even if her conclusions are sound.

I'm pretty sure she blocks here youtube comments because they are/were full to the bring with rape threats, death threats, misogynist bullshit and genereal bigotry.

I may not fully agree with her logic but after seeing the kind of discusting reaction the video games fans on the internet have had I really can't disagree that video game culture is misoginist to the core and I trust her conclusions a hell of a lot more than I trust the average video gamer since their reaction is discusting to the extreme to any kind of critism (either constructive or not) to 'video game culture'.

I'm pretty sure she blocks here youtube comments because they are/were full to the bring with rape threats, death threats, misogynist bullshit and genereal bigotry.

I may not fully agree with her logic but after seeing the kind of discusting reaction the video games fans on the internet have had I really can't disagree that video game culture is misoginist to the core and I trust her conclusions a hell of a lot more than I trust the average video gamer since their reaction is discusting to the extreme to any kind of critism (either constructive or not) to 'video game culture'.

There's a reason for that. Devin Faraci sums it up:
"Let me tell you where these kids are coming from, because I used to come from there. The first thing that’s happening is that they’re mostly males who are socially unaccepted. They’re outsiders, losers, weirdos and freaks. And most of them aren’t just male, they’re white males. What’s happening is that these men are feeling powerless in their own lives, and then along comes someone like Anita Sarkeesian telling them that as white men they are the MOST powerful group in the world. And that they should be aware of this privilege and they should be careful how they exert it.
Imagine the confusion this causes. These kids feel like the bottom of the heap, ignored and hated and mocked and here comes this woman - who is successful and admired and gets Joss Whedon to retweet her videos - telling them that they’re actually part of an invisible system keeping her down. This simply can’t compute for these guys
[...]
Understanding all of this doesn’t mean excusing it, and God knows I don’t. But understanding all of this does leave me at a loss - I don’t know how to get through to these kids. Devils like Owens and Aurini and anonymous hatemonger Internet Aristocrat have the ears of these kids because they offer soothing reassurances that the angry gamers are right and the entirety of the world is wrong. They’re recruiting young people for hate. They're turning the sense of marginalization these kids feel into hate for other marginalized people, a standard tactic of Neo-Nazi groups, for instance. I, for whatever reason, was always a liberal-leaning person, and while I might have grown up using 1980s street language that would get me boycotted today, I never would have bought into the line of woman-hating hogwash these guys are peddling. This is the only place where I find myself unable to understand these kids - if you feel so put-upon, why are you putting upon others?"

Status
Not open for further replies.