It seems strange that after Alfonso's death that Isabella and Ferdinand wanted to wed Isabella jr to Manuel. Seems contradictionary...

In my OP, I mentioned possibly having Martin Luther become a lawyer instead of a monk. Assuming that change will happen to the Church around this time, how does this Reformation go without him? I'm also thinking of having Luther become an important statesman in Saxony - pretty much German Sir Thomas More.

Last edited:
It seems strange that after Alfonso's death that Isabella and Ferdinand wanted to wed Isabella jr to Manuel. Seems contradictionary...
I thinked the same then read again the fonts and remebered the most important detail: Alfonso V of Portugal and his son John II of Portugal were enemies of Ferdinand and specially Isabella (John's aunt was the second wife of Isabella's half-brother and the mother of Joanna the Beltraneja, the great rival of Isabella for the crown of Castile who was both cousin and stepmother of John II). Plus Isabella's mother was a princess of Portugal, from a branch who was mostly rival to the main one, and sister of Manuel's own mother. John had married Manuel's sister but had also killed Manuel's older brrother and the husband of Manuel's other sister because they were rivals and likely Beja also feared to be killed if the King thinked who he was a danger too big for him...
After Alfonso's death John tried to have his bastard son Jorge of Lencastre recognized as his heir instead of Manuel and that failed mostly for the fierce opposition of Queen Leonor (who was Manuel's sister)...
Alfonso was the son and granson to enemies and Isabella, potential heiress of Spain as her brother never had the best health, married to him was a danger for everything Fernando and Isabel wanted build, while Manuel was a friend and ally (and Philip, husband of Juana the danger for Spain).
An Alfonso of Portugal live longer scenario can work only with ATL Catherine born as healthy son but he would still not be liked by his Spanish in-laws (Isabella instead, well, was crazy in love with her first husband much like Juana with Philip)

In my OP, I mentioned possibly having Martin Luther become a lawyer instead of a monk. Assuming that change will happen to the Church around this time, how does this Reformation go without him. I'm also thinking of having Luther become an important statesman in Saxony - pretty much German Sir Thomas More.
Not my field of study but I think who without Luther (and the support some german princes gave him) a full split of the Church is highly unlikely... Put someone interested to reform the church or with strong ties to the reformist as Pope instead of the more political Borgia/Sforza/Medici/dellaRovere and maybe you will be able to keep the church together

Does anyone have any ideas for possible wives for Charles VIII? Anne of Brittany is married to Prince Edward (there's probably going to be war over this), and the HRE is allied with England against France.

It will butterfly the Italians war and restart the Hundred year wars, in the same time the French will start to fund British pretendant to get the throne, which risks plunging England into civil wars, in the same time their parliament will start to refuse finance these wars, it may become an English screw in the long term.

Last edited:
I don't actually have any books I can mention off the top of my head related specifically to Scandinavia. A lot of the information I use is from more general books where Scandinavian events are secondary. I think @Milites probably has a much better idea on sources when it is Scandinavia in specific.

A couple of really good books set late in your timeframe are Dairmaid MacCullough's book on the reformation, Peter H. Wilson's Europe's Tragedy on the 30 years war and Geoffrey Parker's Global Crisis are all great and should give you a good look into the 1500-1650 part of the TL.

It will butterfly the Italians war and restart the Hundred year wars, in the same time the French will start to fund British pretendant to get the throne, which risks plunging England into civil wars, in the same time their parliament will start to refuse finance these wars, it may become an English screw in the long term.
I think it might be worth mentioning that one of the biggest reasons Henry Tudor was able to get his foot in the door was the instability resulting from Richard's usurpation and Buckingham's Rebellion. Here, this won't happen. I doubt France would want to finance a campaign that will probably fail.

I think it might be worth mentioning that one of the biggest reasons Henry Tudor was able to get his foot in the door was the instability resulting from Richard's usurpation and Buckingham's Rebellion. Here, this won't happen. I doubt France would want to finance a campaign that will probably fail.

The purpose in not to let him win, even if they would like it, their purpose is to crystallize discontent against the king to force him to leave France. France in this period already funded many pretendant of their ennemies as Warrick. France would not allow Brittain to become British, the main concern of Charles VIII, Louis XII and François I er was to kept Brittain under french influence for many reasons. Britain is also divided between pro-Britain party and pro-french, so France will trigger revolution, war in the purpose to reconquest Britanny (give it to a pretendant of the Britain throne, seize it because crime against the majesty, any kind of excuse, ....)

British would be olbiged to react. they will therefore need to finance expeditions, and large one in this period the king doesn't have the fund necessary, so he will need to ask for the parliament, the first time they will accept after few month they will starte to bawl, then they will say no and with a revolt in England, the king will be forced to abandon France in debt with less legitimacy ensuring a period of trouble. England in XVth century is not England of XVIth century. Also many people criticize Henry VII, but the french fund(Treaty of Étaples), the new land obtained, a period of peace, a new system of taxes, allowed the king to have more independance with the parliament and to fund a lot of project that lead to a British prosperity.

Last edited:
Finding the right bride for Charles VIII of France is easy and you can have a situation in which he will not be free to marry Anne of Brittany as you need to answer first to a question:
Mary of Burgundy here is dead at her historical's death date? If your answer is yes then Charles VIII married her daughter Margaret of Austria&Burgundy or Anne of Brittany if she will became available for bringing Brittany to him
if you answer is not his bride will be either his first bethroted Elizabeth of York or his first cousin Queen Catherine of Navarre because he will never be engaged to Margaret without the rebellion who followed the death of her mother and forced her father Maximilian and stepgrandmother Margret of York to accept the peace with France

Finding the right bride for Charles VIII of France is easy and you can have a situation in which he will not be free to marry Anne of Brittany as you need to answer first to a question:
Mary of Burgundy here is dead at her historical's death date? If your answer is yes then Charles VIII married her daughter Margaret of Austria&Burgundy or Anne of Brittany if she will became available for bringing Brittany to him
if you answer is not his bride will be either his first bethroted Elizabeth of York or his first cousin Queen Catherine of Navarre because he will never be engaged to Margaret without the rebellion who followed the death of her mother and forced her father Maximilian and stepgrandmother Margret of York to accept the peace with France
I was considering having her not die when she did IOTL. Catherine of Navarre would be a worthy bride for Charles VIII, provided he can't have Anne of Brittany. This depends on when Edward IV tries to marry his son and Anne. If it's after Elizabeth has married Charles VIII, things will be awkward to say the least. If before, I think the king of France will quickly set his sights on Anne.

I was considering having her not die when she did IOTL. Catherine of Navarre would be a worthy bride for Charles VIII, provided he can't have Anne of Brittany. This depends on when Edward IV tries to marry his son and Anne. If it's after Elizabeth has married Charles VIII, things will be awkward to say the least. If before, I think the king of France will quickly set his sights on Anne.
Anne of Brittany is too young (she is seven years younger than Charles while Elizabeth of York is for years older than him and Catherine two years older than Charles) for being seriously taken in consideration for Charles VIII if he was not already engaged to Margaret of Austria Burgundy and that bethrotal will not happen if the Duchess Mary do not have her OTL death and Edward V was already engaged to Anne of Brittany (Elizabeth and Charles OTL were engaged from 1475 to 1482 when she was replaced by Margaret while Edward and Anne were engaged between 1480 and 1483) and until the death of her father in 1488 when she was only 11 her succession in Brittany was not guaranteed as her father had still always the chance to have a son who would have naturally replaced Anne as heir.

Anne of Brittany can not be taken in consideration if Charles is not engaged to Margaret and that will not happen unless Mary of Burgundy due at her OTL death date plus with a survival of Edward V and Richard of York she will almost surely marry one of them.

Without Mary’s death Charles will stay engaged to Elizabeth of York as Margaret will not be available and the only better choice available before the date of Charles and Elizabeth’s wedding in 1484 is his first cousin Catherine who became queen of Navarre in 1483 before the death of Louis XI (who will need to arrange the replacement of Elizabeth with Catherine as bride of Charles)

Last edited:
Anne of Brittany is too young (she is seven years younger than Charles while Elizabeth of York is for years older than him and Catherine two years older than Charles) for being seriously taken in consideration for Charles VIII if he was not already engaged to Margaret of Austria Burgundy and that bethrotal will not happen if the Duchess Mary do not have her OTL death and Edward V was already engaged to Anne of Brittany (Elizabeth and Charles OTL were engaged from 1475 to 1482 when she was replaced by Margaret while Edward and Anne were engaged between 1480 and 1483) and until the death of her father in 1488 when she was only 11 her succession in Brittany was not guaranteed as her father had still always the chance to have a son who would have naturally replaced Anne as heir.

Just take on note that Louis XI wed Charlotte of Savoy when she was nine and that Louis d'Orleans would try to persuade Charles VIII to wed her because she's too young, it would only increase his chance to become king later.

Just take on note that Louis XI wed Charlotte of Savoy when she was nine and that Louis d'Orleans would try to persuade Charles VIII to wed her because she's too young, it would only increase his chance to become king later.
Well in 1483 Anne of Brittany is only a six years old girl with a five years old sister and both parents still alive with a big chance to have a younger brother so she is not a match worthy to the enemity of England unlike Margaret who sealed a peace and had a big dowry in contended lands or Catherine who will bring to France her kingdom and as daughter of Madeleine of France, Louis XI’s own sister will have in any case the protection and support of the French army.

Well in 1483 Anne of Brittany is only a six years old girl with a five years old sister and both parents still alive with a big chance to have a younger brother so she is not a match worthy to the enemity of England unlike Margaret who sealed a peace and had a big dowry in contended lands or Catherine who will bring to France her kingdom and as daughter of Madeleine of France, Louis XI’s own sister will have in any case the protection and support of the French army.

Yes, but you must not forget the behavior of the king, the next duke could be substracted to his own right if he goes in war against the king and in this case the title would be give to his own sister. so the wed could be serves as blackmail. Originally the regent was against an wed between Charles VIII and Anne of Britanny but the wedding still happened becasue Charles behavior, I'm not saying that it will happen, i jsut say that it could. And the french king could and would not allow Brittany goes in an foreign king, they couldn't take the risk not after the Burgundian independance, it's for that they put so much effort to submitted them OTL. For many people stop an union between England and Brittany would be enough.

The assumption I've been running off here has been that Edward V marrying Anne of Brittany and Charles VIII marrying Elizabeth of York are mutually exclusive. Is this correct, or am I missing something here?

You could also make Francis I Febus of Navarre survive ITTL, or let him die as IOTL and have his sister Catalina I de Foix marry Carlos VIII of France (instead of John III of Albret), uniting the kingdoms of Navarre and France.

This could cause a war between the Catholic Kings (Castilla-Aragon) and France, since the former would see the union between France and Navarre as an aggression/threat, in addition to Fernando de Aragón had a claim to the crown of Navarre through his father.

Last edited:
You could also make Charles the Bold of Burgundy survive and / or have a surviving son.

Columbus's voyage of discovery of America in 1492 could be avoided by the butterflies.

Last edited: