Yaroslav the Wise is killed in 1018

So this time Kasimir has better start: he is a king, he has an ally in emperor, the Czechs are neutral, the Russians are also good neighbours and the country isn't completely devastated as in OTL. It was a good decision to give up Slovakia for a time. The rebels are more important and the war with Lyutizi needs to be continued unless Poles want to lose connection with Empire. Probably Kasimir sends some token forces west only to show to Konrad that he is strong and loyal ally and to occupy Lyutizi so they don't have initiative and don't attack him. But he spends more troops and money in fighting rebels.
I wonder how many troops can he muster. Bolesław the Brave was able to maintain 13 000 troops according th chronicles but I don't know what part of this was cavalry. In OTL Mieszko had problems with maintaining such large body of troops. In this timeline when the main provinces are still intact he would probably field about 10 000 and the population of country would be around 1 500 000. The loss of Slovakia wouldn't be so disastrous because it was a backwater - mountainous, forested border region. If I'm not mistaken it's mineral resources were discovered only in XIII century.
But when the rebels are vanquished and Lyutizi are dealt (defeated or at least the peace is signed) the time is to regain the lost province - the opportunity would be the death of Stephen.

I think that Kasimir not having to restore ecclesial organization from scratch in this timeline would probably expand it: it would be natural to add one bishopric in Czerwień and maybe the next in Olomouc, in provinces not ravaged by war and probably quite rich thanks to trade.

I've got a question. I know that not only in Poland was pagan reaction - Swedes and Hungarians had their problems but what about Rus'? Unless Russian problems have already ended but somehow I doubt it. Especially when Sviatopolk also extends Russian net of churches. What happens to Russian literature? If the new clergy comes from Western Empire would they use cyrillic alphabet or rather use latin? In this point I would see Kievian Rus' and Chernigovian Rus' starting to differentiate.

So this time Kasimir has better start
Yes, I agree.
Thanks for analyze!
I wonder how many troops can he muster.
I'm looking for detailed information.
I think that Kasimir not having to restore ecclesial organization from scratch in this timeline would probably expand it: it would be natural to add one bishopric in Czerwień and maybe the next in Olomouc, in provinces not ravaged by war and probably quite rich thanks to trade.
Czerwień cities, probably, will lost during the war with Bezprym. I think, he will try take Gnezno, and Sviatopolk will help Casimir and will get the cities as award - and Casimir ger back Krakow. A bishopric, probably, will be established in Vladimir of Volyn.
But when the rebels are vanquished and Lyutizi are dealt (defeated or at least the peace is signed) the time is to regain the lost province - the opportunity would be the death of Stephen.
If Kasimir will have enough forces, he will try to set Bella as King of Hungary, I think.
I know that not only in Poland was pagan reaction - Swedes and Hungarians had their problems but what about Rus'? Unless Russian problems have already ended but somehow I doubt it. Especially when Sviatopolk also extends Russian net of churches.
There are 2 uprisings in Russia - in about 1024 and about 1071. Rostov was baptized rather later - 1070ss, 2 bishops are exiled, third was murdered, if I remember right.
But orthodox church was "mild" - there is "double faith" in Rus'. If Catholic will "stronger" - the reaction may appears, but I don't sure, that Catholic will want too press pagans.
What happens to Russian literature? If the new clergy comes from Western Empire would they use cyrillic alphabet or rather use latin? In this point I would see Kievian Rus' and Chernigovian Rus' starting to differentiate.
Yes, Chernigovian Rus' will like Rus' OTL (probably with more influence from Byzantium) and Kievian Rus' will more like Poland (or even Germany).
If the clergy will "mild" - they will use Cyrillic alphabet and not too press Russians. In this case culture of Kievian Rus' will be changed slowly.
If they will more fanatic - they will use latin alphabet, and, probably, pagan uprising will begun. It's seems, the rebel probable after death of Sviatopolk (and Briychislav in Polotsk).
I will try find, how the clergy acted in this time in Hungary and Poland.

And I have one more question.
If in spring 1036 Jaromir died, who will be his heir?
Bretislav is imprisoned. His wife, probably, is in Germany - she is a sister of Otto, who married Matilda, a sister of Mieszhko. Bretislavs older son is Spytihněv, is 5 years old.
Casimir, probably, claims for Bohemia.
What does Conrad decide? He is afraid of too strong Poland, on one hand. He can have a strong ally on other hand. I don't sure, what will his choice.
He can gave Bohemia to Spytihněv also, but who will the regent? Otto or Casimir or somebody else?

Yes, I agree.
Thanks for analyze!

I'm looking for detailed information.

Czerwień cities, probably, will lost during the war with Bezprym. I think, he will try take Gnezno, and Sviatopolk will help Casimir and will get the cities as award - and Casimir ger back Krakow. A bishopric, probably, will be established in Vladimir of Volyn.

If Kasimir will have enough forces, he will try to set Bella as King of Hungary, I think.

There are 2 uprisings in Russia - in about 1024 and about 1071. Rostov was baptized rather later - 1070ss, 2 bishops are exiled, third was murdered, if I remember right.
But orthodox church was "mild" - there is "double faith" in Rus'. If Catholic will "stronger" - the reaction may appears, but I don't sure, that Catholic will want too press pagans.

Yes, Chernigovian Rus' will like Rus' OTL (probably with more influence from Byzantium) and Kievian Rus' will more like Poland (or even Germany).
If the clergy will "mild" - they will use Cyrillic alphabet and not too press Russians. In this case culture of Kievian Rus' will be changed slowly.
If they will more fanatic - they will use latin alphabet, and, probably, pagan uprising will begun. It's seems, the rebel probable after death of Sviatopolk (and Briychislav in Polotsk).
I will try find, how the clergy acted in this time in Hungary and Poland.

And I have one more question.
If in spring 1036 Jaromir died, who will be his heir?
Bretislav is imprisoned. His wife, probably, is in Germany - she is a sister of Otto, who married Matilda, a sister of Mieszhko. Bretislavs older son is Spytihněv, is 5 years old.
Casimir, probably, claims for Bohemia.
What does Conrad decide? He is afraid of too strong Poland, on one hand. He can have a strong ally on other hand. I don't sure, what will his choice.
He can gave Bohemia to Spytihněv also, but who will the regent? Otto or Casimir or somebody else?

I was thinking of these problems very hard. I don't know how exactly priests were operating in Poland. It looks to me that in the beginning they were just baptizing a population and the teaching and preaching came later. It was Bolesław who was really harsh - he used to break off teeth of those who broke Lent for example and the death of his beloved wife Emnilda (mother of Mieszko and Otto) only worsened the matter. This and the liquidation of old pagan priest caste and additional tribute taken from people because of wars with Empire and Rus' and obligatory maintenance of fortifications were enough to make people angry. The first rebellions were in 1022 (unless chronicler mistook dates) and the real one after the death of Mieszko when the country was broken. Probably the remnants of pagan priests were preaching about "old good times" but on the other hand it is telling that Kasimir was able to reconquer whole country with only 100 german knights and some russian troops. Probably people preferred the order than anarchy and the pagan clergy weren't better than the christian. In large christian country there was no slavery and no constant warfare between every minuscule tribes and the chances for surviving were much better under rational state administration. The population was still quite pagan in XIII century when the church was well established in Poland and even in the beginning of XV century Jan Długosz described in his chronicle many pagan customs which survived among peasantry.

About Bretislav and Spityhniev

Everything depends on what are relations between Poland and Empire.
In OTL Bolesław the Brave crowned himself without consent of emperor and pope, though he based his coronation on a promise made by Otto III to him. His son lost the crown and his grandson who inherited shattered country was reduced to being a vassal of Emperor's vassal. Later Poland established itself in opposition to empire and consequently supported papacy. And the Czechs who were in opposition to Empire during the rule of Ottonian dynasty later have been supporters of Salic dynasty and became part of Empire.
In this timeline Mieszko managed to mend fences with Konrad and retained the crown, though the obligation of sending troops for support clearly indicated that he became a vassal of emperor, though he didn't need to pay tribute in money. In this timeline the Czechs are the ones who didn't support the emperor with troops when he battled with Hungarians and Poles. So I would say that in this timeline roles of Poland and Bohemia are reversed. I would see establishing Bretislav as a ruler of Bohemia but as a Kasimir's vassal. I think that this would be a price of releasing him from imprisonment. I think that Konrad would agree as long as Kasimir supports him in war with Vends.

About Bezprym
Difficult question. I think that Kasimir wouldn't attack him as long as he is engaged in putting down rebelion and fighting with Vends. I suppose it would take about two years (first year putting down rebellions and in second year large offensive against Vends which would make them more peaceful.) The empire also needs to replenish it's losses so the war would probably be over around 1037. The question is would Bezprym attack earlier? What army would he lead, what support would he have in Poland and abroad? I think that in Poland he would be meaningless, the Poles have the rightful king and are content with him (beside the rebels but would Bezprym risk associating him with resurgent pagans?). Abroad - maybe Stephen but he just gained what he wanted and doesn't need any more problems. Unless he sees an opportunity to gain more lands and wealth in attacking Poland while Kasimir is distracted but a I can recollect he has domestic troubles right now. (Well, it depends. If the death of crown prince Imre is butterflied the succession is stable).
Bezprym would probably find an ally in Bretislav if the latter is established as a duke in Bohemia. He would probably promise him Moravia and independence in exchange for support. The question is would Bretislav risk such gamble? If he failed he would be executed and Bohemian lands would be probably directly incorporated into Poland or given to some German magnate as a fief.
What if Bezprym asked Sviatopolk for support and promised him Czerwień and the other towns? Coalition of Sviatopolk, Bezprym and Bretislav would probably make Kasimir's life very difficult. The question is would Sviatopolk risk total alienation from Poland and Empire to gain just few gorods? He still has Mstislav on the other side of Dnieper and Brachislav in Polock. And they would have support from Byzantines.

If you don't mind I would suggest following chain of events:
1. Kasimir releases Bretislav on request of Konrad. Bretislav is established duke of Bohemia and Kasimir's vassal. Kasimir finishes putting down revolts. (In OTL he managed to reconquer the whole country just with 100 knights from Empire and some russian troop given to him by Yaroslav - he has more troops in this timeline so his task is much easier)
2. Kasimir is engaged in war with Vends, probably he tries to make some gains in Pomerania. A that time Bezprym contacts Bretislav and Sviatopolk and promises them Moravian and Czerwień Towns respectively. Sviatopolk refuses but observes a situation.
3. Bezprym and Bretislav attack when Kasimir's army is completely engaged in Pomerania and Vielet's land. Kasimir asks Sviatopolk for help before he can disengage. Sviatopolk agrees but demands the return of Czerwień and the other towns. Kasimir has to agree.
4. Sviatopolk fights Bezprym, Kasimir makes peace with Pomeranians and Vends and turns south. Bretislav briefly occupies Moravia.
5. Kasimir defeats Bretislav and occupies Bohemia. Sviatopolk chases out Bezprym from Poland. He annexes Czerwien towns again.
6. Stephen of Hungary dies. Kasimir attacks Slovakia, reannexes the province and kills Bezprym and any of his possible offsprings. Not wanting to offend an emperor he doesn't harm Spityhniev and establishes himself as his and his mother's guardian. Bretislav is in exile or dead, whatever.

7. Konrad dies, Henry III is new King of Romans. He is accompanied by Kasimir's troops in his journey to Rome. He accepts the annexation of Bohemia into Polish realm.

Of course this is your timeline so no need to take anything from above suggestion.

I was thinking of these problems very hard.
A lot of thanks!

I found some data about army of Boleslaw: Wiki said, that Bolesław Chrobry was able to call 16-18 thousand men. And by Gall Anonym: about 4000 pancerni (or knights) and about 13 thousands of shield-warriors (or infantry, if I right understand).
Quantity of warriors of Casimir probably will be less, about 2-3 thousands knights and 7-10 thousands infantry, but I can't found any numbers.

It was Bolesław who was really harsh - he used to break off teeth of those who broke Lent for example... The population was still quite pagan in XIII century
It's seems, some like Rus' in general, there is prob "Putyata baptized by the sword, and Dobrynia -- fire". And population was still pagan for a long time.
I think, Sviatopolk must be careful - because Mstislav in any moment can attack "to protect orthodox church". So, most logic way, it's seems, don't exile "Greek" priests, but when old priest died, replace him with "Latin" priest. So, changes will be slowly, structure will be changed in 30-50 years. Probably, all XI century Slavonic language will be used (as it is used in Poland and Czechs).

I would see establishing Bretislav as a ruler of Bohemia but as a Kasimir's vassal. I think that this would be a price of releasing him from imprisonment. I think that Konrad would agree as long as Kasimir supports him in war with Vends.
I thought about this way (Konrad ordered to release Bretislav), but without Bretislav as Kasimir's vassal, and, I thought, it was the way to the war. And I like this decision. Thanks!

If you don't mind I would suggest following chain of events
Thanks! I agree with your suggestion in general. But in autumn 1036, after the war with Vends, Conrad had move to Italy and returned in autumn 1038. Probably, Kasimir will go with the emperor and will leave the mother as ruler. So, Bezprym can revolt in 1037. Stephan can promised help to him, but in this year the uprising of Vazul happened, and Hungary will not fought.
Can Kasimir leave Conrad's army and return in 1037? Or it's impossible in this time? Then Bezprym will be king a year and will be killed, probably.

Kasimir would be insane to leave country and let Bezprym doing there whatever he wants. If goes to Rome together with Konrad he is certain to bring Bezprym with himself so the dangerous uncle can be watched. But let's say that Bezprym manages to get lost somewhere in Italy or southern Germany and returns to Poland - for example he crosses Alps in late autumn of 1036 and Mieszko cannot chase him because he get's a message too late, when the snow falls on mountains passes. So Bezprym has whole winter to prepare his mutiny and his task is much simpler as only token forces loyal to the king retained in home. But then when he just begun to spin his spider web, Kasimir returns like a fury, ready to war.

Bezprym mutiny would happen only if Kasimir is distracted elsewhere and doesn't have whole army at his disposal ready to fight uncle. So I think either let both Kasimir and Konrad heavy fight with Vends when mutiny happens (this way Emperor cannot immediately help his vassal) or let them finish the war with Vends earlier (in spring 1036?) and go to Rome together in autumn, when they have food replenished and fresh horses ready.

I need to think about lithurgical languages and cyrillic and latin script in Poland and Kievian Russia.

Which province would Bezprym rule? Not Krakow because it's too important (and Otto is there) and not Masovia because it's too much back water. Silesia maybe? This way Bezprym would have a neighbour in Bretislav. Any other ideas?

I need to think about lithurgical languages and cyrillic and latin script in Poland and Kievian Russia.
"since the Polanians took their Christianity from Bohemia, it must be remembered that until the end of the eleventh century, the Slavonic liturgy of the Cyrillo-Methodian tradition co-existed in the Czech lands alongside the German-sponsored Latin church... much of the religious vocabulary of the Polish language are adopted from Czech and Slavonic forms... Both Wojcieh and his half-brother, Gaudentius, were members of noble Slavnic family which patronized the Slavonic Rite, and may be expected to have brought their sympathies with them into Poland"
God's Playground: A History of Poland in Two Volumes, Volume I
by Norman Davies
p.59
http://books.google.com.ua/books?id=b912JnKpYTkC&printsec=frontcover&hl=uk#v=onepage&q&f=false

Kasimir would be insane to leave country and let Bezprym doing there whatever he wants.
Yes, I thought, that he hadn't choice and must go with Conrad to Italy. I propose another scenario in next paragraph.

Which province would Bezprym rule? Not Krakow because it's too important (and Otto is there) and not Masovia because it's too much back water. Silesia maybe? This way Bezprym would have a neighbour in Bretislav. Any other ideas?

I thought about Krakow with Lesser Poland and Cherven Cities. Yes, it's too important lands and too big, but Stephan captured Krakow and he interested in weak Poland and weak Casimir. And Casimir had choice - recognized this lands as Bezpryms or fought with Hungary and Wends both.
So, nobles may disappointed with this peace and may revolt against Casimir in 1036, when he fought with vends. Bretislav hated Casimir and may support Bezprym, because both are supported by Stephan, who want added Krakow to Hungary (by promise of Bezprym). Probably, Conrad II must stay in Europe or leave Henry III for help... :rolleyes: Or is it too "fantastic" scenario? I don't sure, that all men will act by these ways. If yes, I will think about more realistic.

I thought about Krakow with Lesser Poland and Cherven Cities. Yes, it's too important lands and too big, but Stephan captured Krakow and he interested in weak Poland and weak Casimir. And Casimir had choice - recognized this lands as Bezpryms or fought with Hungary and Wends both.
So, nobles may disappointed with this peace and may revolt against Casimir in 1036, when he fought with vends. Bretislav hated Casimir and may support Bezprym, because both are supported by Stephan, who want added Krakow to Hungary (by promise of Bezprym). Probably, Conrad II must stay in Europe or leave Henry III for help... :rolleyes: Or is it too "fantastic" scenario? I don't sure, that all men will act by these ways. If yes, I will think about more realistic.

It looks like Hungary will do what they did 7 centuries later in OTL earlier..

There is something wrong with text I wanted to insert as an answer. The forum throws me out whenever I want to copy it into the answer window. I think I need to type it from the beginning. Sorry.

Last edited:
It looks like Hungary will do what they did 7 centuries later in OTL earlier..

I think, if Stephan tried to take Krakow, he will be defeated, because the uprising of Vazul will be some more successful, and, probably, Sviatopolk will help Casimir.
But I don't sure :)

There is something wrong with text I wanted to insert as an answer. The forum throws me out whenever I want to copy it into the answer window. I think I need to type it from the beginning. Sorry.

I usually use Notebook. Paste a text to notebook, then select it in the Notebook, copy and paste again. Sometimes it works.

I'm doing it as well but probably the text file was corrupted - I could only copy and paste about one-third before it was refused. OK, once again.

"since the Polanians took their Christianity from Bohemia, it must be remembered that until the end of the eleventh century, the Slavonic liturgy of the Cyrillo-Methodian tradition co-existed in the Czech lands alongside the German-sponsored Latin church... much of the religious vocabulary of the Polish language are adopted from Czech and Slavonic forms... Both Wojcieh and his half-brother, Gaudentius, were members of noble Slavnic family which patronized the Slavonic Rite, and may be expected to have brought their sympathies with them into Poland"
God's Playground: A History of Poland in Two Volumes, Volume I
by Norman Davies
p.59
http://books.google.com.ua/books?id=b912JnKpYTkC&printsec=frontcover&hl=uk#v=onepage&q&f=false

There is practically no traces of slavonic liturgy in Poland. Glagolithic script was never used and the only sample od cyrillic were inscription on Bolesław's the Brave silved denars. Probably they were minted by people taken from Kiev in 1018. The probable reason was very short exposition to Czech influences during brief alliance between Mieszko I and Boleslav II of Bohemia. But later Mieszko supported Theophano and Otto III while Czechs preferred Bavarians so their ways split. Most of clergy were imported from Germany and they used latin script.
I'm realy cyrious why we didn't adopted cyrilic alphabet as Piasts intermarried with Rurikids in every generation and the contacts were very close.

I think that Sviatopolk's Rus' in this timeline would be less developed culturally than in OTL. Less contacts with Byzantines, clergy imported from Germany would use latin script, alien to already used cyrillic and maybe runes and Yaroslav's law codex was butterflied away.

Yes, I thought, that he hadn't choice and must go with Conrad to Italy. I propose another scenario in next paragraph.

Kasimir probably is considered by Konrad as kind of upstart king, a grandson of megalomaniac, who should be kept in check. But at the same time an ally is useful against pagan Vends (and he proved his fidelity) and against Hungarians who are becoming too independent for Roman King (future emperor) liking.
At the some time Kasimir probably sometimes dreams of united Sclavinia but he knows he must to make small steps. In OTL Kasimir started from very low level and managed not only reconquer Silesia from Czechs but he strenghtened the country so much that his son was able claim the crown again and be important player in local politics.
Also the journey to Italy is an occasion to him to present himself against the Pope and other influential people - remember, he was highly educated like his father.

I thought about Krakow with Lesser Poland and Cherven Cities. Yes, it's too important lands and too big, but Stephan captured Krakow and he interested in weak Poland and weak Casimir.

I think it's reasonable. Kasimir is still Bezprym's overlord, he has Pomerelia, Masovia, Greater Poland, Silesia, Lusiatia, Meissen and Moravia. And he can get rid of his uncle later if he is too annoing.

And Casimir had choice - recognized this lands as Bezpryms or fought with Hungary and Wends both.

Very prudent decision. Cut the losses and fight back later when you have only one front.

So, nobles may disappointed with this peace and may revolt against Casimir in 1036, when he fought with vends.

I don't think so. They have no reason to revolt against their legal king unless they think Bezprym is much better. In OTL Bezprym was killed by his own people because of his cruelty.

Bretislav hated Casimir and may support Bezprym, because both are supported by Stephan, who want added Krakow to Hungary (by promise of Bezprym).

Would Bezprym promise him his own demesne? He doesn't want to lose popularity. Krakow province isn't some border marche like Slovakia it was very pro-Polish land. Besides Stephen already got what he wanted (Slovakia is easily accessible from south and Nitra is a good gain). Getting to Krakow would be difficult and keeping it even more. Besides Stephen has other worries as he lacks male heir (assuming that the hunting accident of his son was like in OTL) and he is simply old. Bezprym can nevertheless recruit some loot and slaves hungry hungarian nomads when he revolts.

Probably, Conrad II must stay in Europe or leave Henry III for help... :rolleyes: Or is it too "fantastic" scenario? I don't sure, that all men will act by these ways. If yes, I will think about more realistic.

You mean he must stay in Germany? Well, he has his own plans. I think Bezprym wouldn't dare to revolt if Kasimir can count on Konrad's help. Best he can do is to revolt when they both are distracted - for example they both fight with with Vends or better they both are already in Italy and in Poland only token army left.

There is practically no traces of slavonic liturgy in Poland. I'm realy cyrious why we didn't adopted cyrilic alphabet...
Thanks!
I think, Latin language will slowly dominate over Slavonic at Kievan Rus' in TTL. And, probably, it will do faster after 1054. So, it's seems "Ostromir Gospels" should be written in Latin too. And in XII-XIII centuries cyrilic alphabet may be forgotten at Kievan Rus'.
In Chernigov Slavonic (as ancient Russian) will develop.
I think that Sviatopolk's Rus' in this timeline would be less developed culturally than in OTL. Less contacts with Byzantines, clergy imported from Germany would use latin script, alien to already used cyrillic and maybe runes and Yaroslav's law codex was butterflied away.
The law codex may be written about 1072, in OTL "Rissian Pravda" was edited in this year.
And yes, probably, the culture of Kievan Rus' will develop slowly, but may be more interesting, as synthesis of Byzantium and Latin cultures.
Also the journey to Italy is an occasion to him to present himself against the Pope and other influential people - remember, he was highly educated like his father.
Thanks!
I don't think so. They have no reason to revolt against their legal king unless they think Bezprym is much better. In OTL Bezprym was killed by his own people because of his cruelty.
Yes, I agree.
Bezprym can nevertheless recruit some loot and slaves hungry hungarian nomads when he revolts.
Yes, it's seems, this way is more realistic.

Chapter seven. 1036

It was too cold and long winter this year, and the harvest was killed in many places.

In February Jaromir, Duke of Bohemia, came to the Emperor at Ausburg and asked to release Bretislav and recognize Bretislav as his heir. Casimir released Bretislav, but as his vassal. So, Duke of Bohemia became a vassal of two seniors. Jaromir died soon in same year. [1]

Brzetys%C5%82aw_I.jpg

(Bretislav)

In May, Otto of Schweinfurt married Mathilda, the daughter of Bolelasv of Poland. [2] Ermengard, a daughter of Ulric Manfred, Margrave of Turin, is betrothed to Conrad the Young. [3] Olomouc bishopric was founded by request of Casimir. [4]

In June king Henry, the son of Conrad, married Gunhilda, the daughter of Cnut the Great.

Gunhilda.jpg

(Gunhilda)

In summer Conrad and Casimir invaded Wends lands. They made a peace, tool hostages and much tribute [5].

In autumn Conrad hurry went to Itlay. Casimir, leave his mother as ruler, escorted him. Casimir asked Otto, the bishop of Krakow, don't allow Bezprym begin fight - if Otto can. He leaved strong garrisons in "hrods" (forts), he was some uncertain, but the war in Italy was too important for him.

Scandinavia:
In spring Magnus and Harthacnut were ready for the war. But "both were too young (Magnus was about 12 years old, and Harthacnut was about 18 years), and nobles ruled both countries". Nobles made a peace. [6]

200px-Magnus_den_godes_saga_-_Magnus_og_Horda-Knut_-_H._Egedius.jpg

Rus':

Pechenegs attacked Kiev. Sviatoplok defeated them and made a peace. [7]

0_79401_4167d0de_L.jpg

Viacheslav, the son of Sviatoplok, was born [8]

Elena, the daughter of Mstislav, was born [9]

[1] - in OTL, by Czechs chronicles, Jaromir made Bretislav his heir after Oldrich died.
[2] - in OTL he refused in May 1036, but in TTL, it's seems, more logic to marry. In OTL Otto had 5 daughters. It's seems, that in TTL he would had at least a one son.
[3] - in OTL she married Otto of Schweinfurt, and Conrad had no any wife.
[4] - in OTL it was founded in 1063; in 1036 was a meeting of 35 bishops - so, it's seems, Casimir can request for a new bishopric - he "lost" Krakow in last year to Bezprym.
[5] - as in OTL.
[6] - same in OTL.
[7] - in OTL Pechenegs besieged Kiev, but Yaroslav was in Novgorod. As Sviatopolk was in Kiev, he can met nomads early, before siege. Yaroslav defeated Pechenegs, probably, Sviatopolk can do it too.
[8] - in OTL Viacheslav, the son of Yaroslav. It's disputable issue, which son was born in 1036 - Viacheslav or Igor, next son. By Chronicle Viacheslav was, so, Igor was born some later in TTL.
[9] - with a new wife. In OTL Mstislav died in this year. Elena is christian name of Olga, so, Mstislav named the daughter by his grand-grandmother.

Last edited:
Chapter Eight. Revolt of Bezprym. 1037.

As soon as Casimir went away, Bezprym began to look for support. He thought, that he must be king of Poland, because he was older, than Casimir, and he was better, of course.
Firstly, Bezprym spoke with nobles. Some of them were angry that German had too much power: the queen was German, priests were German, "best friend of the king" was the son of the German Emperor. Bezprym promised to return "good old times", when Polish ruled Poland. Not all nobles agreed, that it was a good idea, but some of them agreed.
Secondly, Bezprym offered to give Chiervien cities to Sviatoplok for help in the revolt. The Prince of Kiev refused, because he didn't like an idea "to kill all Germans", and he thought, that can get more, if he would help to Casimir. Sviatopolk began gathered troops.
Thirdly, Bezprym offered Moravia to Bretislav, and he promised to annul the vassalage. The Duke of Bohemia hated Casimir, and the Emperor was absent, so, he agreed.
Fourthly, Bezprym offered gold, and loot, and slaves to Stephan. Peter Orseolo was heir of King of Hungary after the son of Stephan died. Peter was interested in friendly Poland against the Empire, and led troops to Krakow.

194px-Orseolo_peter_of_hungary.jpg

(Peter Orseolo)

In January 1037, Peter and Bezprym met in Krakow and began the revolt. They marched to Gnezno. Garrisons can't stop they - forts defended people, who had time to took over. Bezprym killed all Germans, who can't fled. Hungarians ravaged all the people, who refused support Bezprym. Nobles joined rebels - some of them wanted to help Bezprym, another wanted to save their lives and lands. Army became rather large - and rather hungry.
Bretislav took Moravia and went to Gnezno from another side. He ravaged all the people, both Germans and Polish.
Two armies met near Gnezno. The queen had time to closed gates and sent messenger for Casimir.
Rebels assaulted the city, but Gnezno has a strong garrison and many refugees, who fought to the bitter end. Rebels needed began besiege, but so large army had not enough food. Bretislav was sent to Poznan, and Hungarians ravaged all neighborhood - and small troops were killed by angry men. Illness appears in the camp, and Peter fell out with Bezprym, who promised, that "his men in Gnezno opened gates".
Bretislav besieged Poznan, but can't take the city fast.

In Hungary, Vazul revolted. He tried to kill Stephan, but the assassination attempt failed. [1] Vazul was caught and executed, but his sons fled to Moravia. [2]

Sviatopolk took Chierven cities, and came to Krakow. Otto, the bishop of the city, opened gates. Then Sviatopolk went to Gnezno. In same time Casimir marched to Bohemia - the winter was not so cold as last, and Casimir can crossed Alps [3].

Peter Orseolo moved home - he was afraid of pagan uprising in Hungary, he didn't want fought with Russians and he disappointed in Bezprym. Many of Polish nobles moved with him. Soon Sviatopolk came to Gnezno. Polish nobles, who didn't believe more in Bezprym, organized a conspiracy. They caught Bezprym and delivered him over to the queen. Bezprym was beheaded soon.
Now "royal" Polish army moved to Poznan.

Bretislav, when received news, fled to Bohemia and tried met Casimir before the king joined with Polish troops from Poland, but can't. Casimir retook Moravia and invaded Bohemia. He besieged Prague, but the city hard defended.

Casimir gave Chierven cities to Sviatopolk
and agreed to marry Dobronega, the sister of Sviatopolk. [4]

[1] - in OTL this revolt are dated by different years, from 1031 (when the son of Stephan died) to 1038 (when Stephan died). More probably - 1035 or 1037. I use 1037. In OTL Vazul was executed after assassination attempt.
[2] - in OTL they fled to Bohemia.
[3] - e.g., Otto III died January, 24. It's need about two weeks to carried his body to Augsburg. Casimir was in hurry and can move faster.
[4] - in OTL he married she about 1041 (or some earlier).

Last edited:
So Kasimir risked crossing Alps in winter and his gamble paid off. Now he has quite devastated country but Bezprym is no more and Otto appeared loyal to him. It looks like the "interesting" times ended in Poland and are about to start in Hungary. And you have Cumans approaching on steppes.

What do you prepare for Bohemia?

I think that It's possible to develop mixture of Latin and Cyrillic script in Kievian Rus' - that scribes from Germany present in Russia would adapt some cyrillic letters for sounds that don't exist in latin. In OTL in west slavic lands they used combination of existing latin letters and later diacritics were developed but in Rus' when slavic alphabet is already well entrenched borrowing lacking letters for exotic slavic sound would probably be easier. And this custom could be easily adapted in Poland and maybe Vendic or Croat lands.

Volga and Normal Bulgarians

I haven't read everything yet, but I'm working on it. Great so far, and I'd like to see more of those Volga Bulgars.

Volga Bulgars were related to the Bulgars who went west and founded Bulgaria (where I live :), but while the Danube Bulgars eventually switched to speaking a Slavic language (the ancestor of the modern Bulgarian language), the Volga Bulgars stuck with their Altaic language (related to Turkish and Mongol). Very cool, very kick-ass horse-barbarians, and I hope they play a part in this timeline :)

Don't worry about your English, lokaloki, so far I haven't had any trouble understanding what you want to say.

It looks like the "interesting" times ended in Poland and are about to start in Hungary.
And, may be, in Bohemia.
I think that It's possible to develop mixture of Latin and Cyrillic script in Kievian Rus'
It will be third alphabet "by Cyrill"? Glagolitca was first and had special symbols for almost all sounds, then Cyrillic, which is mix of Greek and Glagolitca and it's third, mix of Latin and Cyrillic. I like this idea :)
May be, this alphabet will be named "Illarionitca", or, shorter, "Illiritca". In OTL Illarion was a famous priest and a writer, and he became a Russian metropolitan about 1051. If he was in OTL "presbyter" of the church in Berestovo and adviser of a prince of Kiev, probably around 1030-1050, he can did same in TTL, but as Catholic. And, it's seems, he can invented a new alphabet. Or men may said, that he was.

Very cool, very kick-ass horse-barbarians, and I hope they play a part in this timeline :)
Thanks!
I based on Chronicles, and they are mentioned rather small, but I will think about them :)
Don't worry about your English, lokaloki.
Thanks!

Chapter Nine. 1037-1039.

Prague defended a long time. It was a strong castle, with good supplies, with river and with a good garrison. Bretislav understood, that Casimir wanted his head, and fought very hardly. He hoped, that the emperor Conrad helped him save his life, and, maybe, principality. [1]

Casimir, from his point of view, had not enough forces to storm the city, and he can't stop the besiege, because released Bretislav can begin fight again. Casimir soon returned home, he leaved Bela as a leader of army. [2] It was some politic - if the besiege would fall, then a Hungarian commander would fall it, and if the besiege would successful - Casimir would receive Bretislav and Bohemia.

But later Casimir understood, that he can't take Prague - his country was devastated, and he needed time to restore it. And Casimir hoped, that Conrad helped him save his face.

So, they both waited the emperor.

It was not an easy year for Conrad. [3]

In winter, 1037 the bishop of Milan rebelled against him. The bishop was arrested, then he fled to Milan and then he was besieged in Milan. This besiege was long and hard, the weather was bad and many men died. The besiege lasted more than year - and ended with nothing.
In summer, 1037 some bishops of Northern Italy hatched plots against Conrad - they planned kill him and make Otto, Count of Blois, as an emperor. Messengers to Blois were caught, and a plot failed.
In autumn, 1037 Otto, Count of Blois, attacked Lorraine. He was killed in a battle in November, 1037.

200px-Elias_I_of_Maine_-_Odo_II_Count_of_Blois.jpg

(Odo II is left)
In December, 1037, Conrad came to Parma. Citizens revolted and killed many men of the emperor. By one of the chroniclers, only the order to burn the city save the life of Conrad.
In spring, 1038 Conrad was in Rome, then he went to Southern Italy, where he seizes Capua, giving it to Guaimar IV of Salerno. Conrad also confirms Salernan overlordship over the Duchy of Gaeta and Rainulf
Drengot's title as Duke of Aversa.
In august, 1038 Conrad went back to Germany, but it was a bad idea, because many men died of illness. Gunnhild, the wife of Henry, died. German, Duke of Swabia, died. Liudolf, Margrave of Frisia, died. Many men died.
And Henry III became a new Duke of Swabia.

Bretislav and Casimir were both ready to meet the emperor, but - on 15th August, 1038 Stephan I, King of Hungary, died. Peter Orseolo became new king. Peter gathered troops and came to Prague. [4] Hungarians ravaged Moravia again, and defeated Bela and Polish troops. Bela fled to Silesia. Bretislav tried to retake Moravia, but Bohemia was devastated, and polish garrisons defended forts.

Casimir met the emperor, and a new campaign was plan in next year. But in June, 1039 Conrad died. [5] Henry, his son, was elected as a new emperor. Casimir gathered army, but didn't fight without the Empire - and he came to Henry (now - Henry III).

220px-Heinrich_III..jpg

Bretislav with help of Hungarians retook Moravia again.
Conrad, Duke of Carinthia, died.[6] Henry III became a new Duke of Carinthia.
So, in 1039 Henry III was
- King of Germany;
- King of Burgundy;
- King of Italy;
- Duke of Bavaria;
- Duke of Swabia;
- Duke of Carintia.

Rus':

Two Cathedral were built - in Kiev and in Chernigow.
0_79677_52f4ab4c_L.jpg

Chernigow's cathedral was Saint Sophia Cathedral [7]
220px-Sophiya_reconstr.gif

And Kiev's cathedral was Saint Peter Cathedral [8]:
220px-Nivelles_JPG00_%281%29.jpg

In 1037 Igor, the son of Sviatoplok, was born. [9]

In 1038 Konstantin, the son of Mstislav, was born. [10]
Sviatopolk fought Yotvingians.

Byzantim, Italy:
George Maniaces landed in Sicily, in 2 years he captured about half of the island.

Spain (for map):
On 4 September 1037 Ferdinand of Castile defeated and killed Bermudo III of Leon and took possession of Leon by right of his wife. On 22 June 1038 He had himself formally crowned.

[1] - in OTL the emperor saved Bohemia for Bretislav after a hard war, and Conrad returned Bohemia to Oldrich, so, Bretislav had some chance.
[2] - Bela was a son of Vazul. In OTL he married one of daughters of Casimir and helped him in his wars. Two other sons of Vazul - Andrew and Levante - "possibly feeling overshadowed by their brother" (wiki), came to Rus'. So, in TTL Casimir can set Bela as a commander of the besiege.
[3] - all events at Italy in 1037-1038 as in OTL.
[4] - in OTL Peter helped Bretislav against the emperor in 1040, but 1040 was first campaign against Bohemia. There is a version, that when Bretislav ravaged Poland in 1038, Hungarians took Slovakia (there are many different versions, when and by what way Poland lost Slivakia). So, in TTL Peter can helped Bretislav early.
[5] - as in OTL.
[6] - as in OTL, childless. In TTL he has a wife, but he was ill. So, probably, he had not any child.
[7] - in OTL Saint Sophia Cathedral was built in Kiev, and Church of the Transfiguration was built in Chernigow. But in TTL Chernigow is "second Constantinople", and masters, who built Cathedral in Kiev in OTL - probably built Cathedral in Chernigow in TTL. So, image is Saint Sophia Cathedral of Kiev in OTL.
[8] - it's seems, Saint Peter Cathedral was first usually (e.g., in Poland). Moreover, the christian name of Sviatopolk was, probably, Peter. On image - Collégiale Church Saint Gertrude, consecrated in 1046 in Nivelles, Wallonia, Belgium. Cathedral in Kiev should be some like the church, it's seems - same time and same faith, and not far from one another. May be, Greek influence should be presence in Cathedral, but I found very few images of churches of XI century :(
[9] - Igor was father of Sviatoslav, of father of Yaropolk and Vladimir. So, Sviatopolk named the son same, as Yaroslav in OTL. Date of birth Igor is doubt, but about 1036.
[10] - so, Mstislav had two children, which are named by two saints - Konstantin and Helen.

Last edited:
Chapter ten. 1040.

Germany:
In 1040 Conrad attacked Bohemia, and Casimir tried to change king of Hungary. Casimir believed, that Hungarians should revolt and recognize Bela as new king, and he can not gather much army. Hungarians didn't rebel, and Casimir was defeated, Peter ravaged Poland near Krakow. [1]

Conrad was trapped, and many of his men were shot by archers. Conrad returned back. [2]

310px-Bitva_u_Br%C5%AFdku.jpg

After unsuccessful campaign, Casimir proposed to Sviatopolk to attack Hungary together in next year.

Scandinavia
Harthacnut become the king of England and Denmark [3]

Rus'
Sviatopolk attacked Lithuania [4].

Italy
Lombards of southern Italy revolted against Byzantium, with the support of Norman mercenaries. The catepan (Byzantium's ruler) was killed. Atenulf, the brother of the Duke of Benevento, was elected as a leader of rebels.

Byzantium
Spring - the emperor Michael IV sent general George Probatas to tackle Stefan Vojislav.
In 1040 Stefan's state stretched in the coastal region from Ston in the north, down to the Skadar Lake, his capital, Skadar, set up along the southern banks of the lake, with other courts in Trebinje, Kotor and Bar. In the winter 1039/1040 a Byzantine cargo ship (galley) was wrecked off the Doclean coast due to stormy weather, the goods were taken by Vojislav who refused to return it upon Michael's requests.
Troops of General Probats were caught in the gorges in an ambush and suffered a total defeat.
220px-%D0%A1%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%BD%D0%B0_%D0%BF%D0%BE%D0%B1%D0%B5%D0%B4%D0%B0_%D0%92%D0%BE%D1%98%D0%B8%D1%81%D0%BB%D0%B0%D0%B2%D0%B0_%D0%BD%D0%B0%D0%B4_%D0%93%D1%80%D1%86%D0%B8%D0%BC%D0%B0_%D0%B3%D0%BE%D0%B4._1043..jpg

Summer - Bulgarians revolted, captured Belgrade and proclaimed the leader as a emperor (Tsar) Peter II. Rebels take Macedonia, Durazzo, and northern Greece. Also, they captured treasures of the emperor Michael IV.
300px-DeljanTihomirAndBulgarians.jpg

Croatia
Stephen, the king, take Zadar from the Venetians and established the diocese of Knin, "Croatian bishopric".

[1] - in OTL Casimir in this time fought in his country and can't help anybody. In TTL he has Bela, "better king of Hungary", and can try to help him.
[2] - as in OTL.
[3] - OTL.
[4] - like in OTL Yaroslav did. Probably, it was campaign of Briachislav and Sviatopol/Yaroslav both.

Last edited:
It's interesting, what can asked Sviatopolk for campaign against Hungary.
Can it be archbishopric in Kiev, independent of Gnezno?