Would This Version of "Batman" Have Been Better?

I think there should be a movie like Batman Returns but with Penguin in the Max Schreck role and Killer Croc in the Penguin role.

That wouldn't be a bad idea. But Croc shouldn't be a villain of equal status to Penguin - he'd work best as a secondary character.

Agreed. The important thing is that Penguin's in politics pretending to be a good guy, and Killer Croc was abandoned and living in the sewer. I can imagine Tim Burton's team could design great prosthetics for Killer Croc. And of course, no giant rubber duck cars.

You know I really like the idea of The Penguin acting as a Kingmaker with Killer Croc as his somewhat restless Puppet King - it's a logical combination of money & muscle, ambition & intimidation (with the two of them coming from quite different backgrounds but still arriving at a somewhat comparable state of mind, with an outsider's desperation to move in and become Kingpin).

It may lack the straightforward symbolism of teaming up The Penguin & Mr Freeze, but I would argue it's likely to prove a more winning combination (since poor Victor doesn't really WANT to be a Criminal Mastermind or a Gangster, while Croc actually DOES - or at least HAS done, especially in his earliest appearances).

In this Even Better timeline, Killer Croc WILL of course be played to perfection by Mr Ron Perlman!

Perlman is a perfect choice.

It may lack the straightforward symbolism of teaming up The Penguin & Mr Freeze, but I would argue it's likely to prove a more winning combination (since poor Victor doesn't really WANT to be a Criminal Mastermind or a Gangster, while Croc actually DOES - or at least HAS done, especially in his earliest appearances).

Since this is before the Animated Series revived Freeze, he isn't a popular enough character to appear as a major villain anyway.

Just discovered this thread.
In a Timeline, I am working on, Tim Burton does Batman as in OTL.
But the Second movie is based on the Prey Story from the Legend of the Dark Knight Comic.
I have Batman looking for Penguin. He know Penguin is a Crime lord who took over after the events of the first movie but he is not sure who he is. Batman has narrowed it down to 6 possible as the movie opens and as the film progressed, he will narrowed it down more. Is it the Mayor, The Business man, or the Night Club owner. I figure that we have several guest stars who would all make a good Penguin.
It will be Produced by Burton but directed by Joe Dante. I have Burton finishing up another film when the Studio wants to start Filming, so Dante is brought in as the Director.
Dr Hugo Strange will be played by Patrick Steward and I have not decided who should play Catwoman.

@Tiro mention using Killer Croc. Croc would be a better choice for the third film.
If you have the death of Flying Grayson as a plot element in the second film. Batman fails to save them and it a win for the Penguin, which is part of the reason Bruce is dealing with Hugo Strange. Add Joe Chill as a one of the Penguin men and that would add a nice subplot of the Batman dealing with his origin.

My take on the Third Film would be with the Riddler and based on the script "Simon Says" which was the basis of the third Die Hard Film.
Instead of Han Gruber, we have the master villain Edward Nygma, who is playing games with Batman on the night of Saint Patrick Day.
I like the suggestion of a black Robin. Have the boy take the place of Samuel L Jackson Zeus.
The idea of Killer Croc in the Sewers is a good one but instead of being a villain, have him be a former freak for the Circus Freak show. After the death of The Flying Grayson, the Circus closes. Dick Grayson is struggling on the Street and the Killer Croc has hidden in the Sewers. When Batman first meets Killer Croc, they fight because Croc just wants to be alone but it ends when Dick Grayson appears and recognizes him from the Circus. Then the Croc helps them.
The Reason that I have the Movie on Saint Patrick Days is the crazy Green Outfit is a Costume for that the Riddler wears to hide in the Parade as part of his plan get away.
I casting Tommy Lee Jones as the Riddler. He is a darker character who a master planer and pulling off a huge robbery. One of his bombs hurts Harvey Dent (Billy Dee William) destroying half his face as the DA is saving innocents.

At some point, Dick Grayson, puts on his Circus Outfit and a face mask as he teams up with Batman to stop the villain Get Away. He become a good street fighter since the circus has closed and he holds his own in the fights. As the film ends, Grayson offers to help Croc but he refuses. And Bruce is telling Harvey that he will get him the best doctors to heal his face. Harvey does not say much but is just lying in bed, flipping his two head coin.
We then see Grayson in a version of the Robin Outfit, this time with some body armor as in the original movie. Batman come up next to him and then we hear a woman scream and the film end as Batman and Robin swing into action

Meanwhile, Jack Napier is a failing stand up comedian trying to support his pregnant wife. Instead of Nicholson (who gave a great performance, but nonetheless hurt the film's story by demanding he be the main star and not Keaton), Napier is played by Michael Keaton. After his latest act flops, Napier turns to the Falcone family for help. They agree to arrange him a major gig in Metropolis in exchange for their help in raiding Axis Chemicals under the alias "Red Hood." Napier agrees, but the operation is interrupted by Batman. Falcone's men are captured and the Axis files are obtained by Dent's office, allowing him to convict Falcone for racketeering. Yet Napier falls into a vat of chemicals which bleach his sick white and turn his hair green. Upon returning home, Napier finds that his pregnant wife has been murdered by Falcone's men. Napier goes insane and becomes "the Joker."

The only thing that bothers me is the "Napier as a failed comedian" angle. That is what I'd call a very typical '80s/'90s film plot, a bit of superficial psychologising and the villain-as-loser-who-gets-fed-up stereotype. I've never liked that. Alternative suggestion: Napier is just a gangster, but he's known for his weird, dark sense of humour. The other gangsters don't like his malicious sense of humour. Meanwhile, he explicitly states that his pregnant wife is the only thing "keeping me sane, keeping me human". And then his chemical accident happens, and she is murdered, and what remains of him is... distinctly not human. I think that would work better as far as painting him as a menacing figure from the outset. (I very much think the Joker should not be too 'humanised'. The monster should already be there, just below the surface.)

I would not start with the Joker Origin.. I would have Boss Grissom bring in "The Clown" to deal with the Bat Freak that messing up his business.
It the Joker, already.
At some point, We have the Joker tell Grissom, his origin. Instead of having the Batman be responsible for his being dropped into a chemical Vat, have the other crooks be the one responsible.
After The Joker tells the story, have him quote this line from Alan Moore's The Killing Joke
th

In other words, The Joker does not know his true origin.
And then I have the Camera pull back to see that the Joker is telling this story to Grissom Corpse.

I think the Penguin would be the leader of the gang and running for mayor, with a good public image, while Killer Croc would be working in the underground while the connection between them is secret.

I think the Penguin would be the leader of the gang and running for mayor, with a good public image, while Killer Croc would be working in the underground while the connection between them is secret.

If Cobblepot is the gang leader, he would be notorious all throughout Gotham - making it hard for him to have a good public image. IMO it's better if Croc is the gang leader while Cobblepot is the "sophisticated" businessman who secretly works with Croc to consolidate his power in the city. Running for Mayor could actually work as a plot point, since there is the threat of Cobblepot becoming the most powerful man in Gotham. That said, if you have Penguin, Two-Face, Catwoman, and Croc in the same movie is could become too much for the filmmakers to handle. Penguin would need to be the clear antagonist, with Dent and Croc as supporting players, and Kyle as more an anti-hero than a villain.

I was picturing Penguin as a secret leader of the gang and Croc as a thug. But after I thought about it, I agree Croc would be good as the gang leader, more closely following the idea of having Croc in the Penguin role of OTL. And I don't think anyone suggested putting Catwoman and Two-Face in the Penguin and Killer Croc movie. Two villains per movie is enough.

I was picturing Penguin as a secret leader of the gang and Croc as a thug. But after I thought about it, I agree Croc would be good as the gang leader, more closely following the idea of having Croc in the Penguin role of OTL. And I don't think anyone suggested putting Catwoman and Two-Face in the Penguin and Killer Croc movie. Two villains per movie is enough.

IMO, it works better if Penguin and Two Face are the main villains, Catwoman is the love interest and anti-hero, and Croc is nothing more than a side character.

In my opinion, it's best to have a movie with Two-Face as the main villain and Catwoman as the love interest, and then another movie with Croc and Penguin -- probably with Penguin more dominant than Croc.