Would a Dual Monarchy for Japan and Korea possible like Austria-Hungary? If so how?

I personally believe it would be cool if this type of union was able to happen but unfortunately I can't think of a way for this to happen. Is this timeline even possible without it being ASB? My main goal is given Koreans Equal rights in the the Empire and Possibly not have Japan expand into China.
Notes_221211_144846_318.jpg

Attachments

• Duvo5jgUYAEFuzG.jpg_large.jpg
    Duvo5jgUYAEFuzG.jpg_large.jpg
    877.7 KB · Views: 123
You probably need eliminate nationalist militarism before you can create such thing. Perhaps let Taisho remain health and live much longer.

The Japanese regarded the Koreans as racial inferiors combined with the domination of Korea by a Japanese elite and a Korean desire for Independence makes this impossible.

ahmedali

Banned
The Japanese regarded the Koreans as racial inferiors combined with the domination of Korea by a Japanese elite and a Korean desire for Independence makes this impossible.
Not really

Hirohito said where is the origin of the family is Korean

Last edited:

ahmedali

Banned
I suggested making the Dogger Bank incident lead to a Russo-British war, so that Japan would not feel that it had won by itself.

But she feels Britain helped her, so Japan is less crazy, more sane, and gets everything she wants

This averted Itō Hirobumi's assassination

(He has plans to make the Empire of Japan like the German Empire and make Joseon identify the Emperor of Japan like the Kaiser and the relationship between Japan and Korea along the lines of Prussia and Bavaria)

ahmedali

Banned
The Japanese said a lot of things about other Asians being their kin. In reality though it was more like Nazi racism against Slavs, just with a lot more hypocrisy.

Extreme Japanese racism can easily be avoided

Just make the Treaty of Portsmouth much more satisfactory to Japan

(Have the Dogger's Bank incident expand, Britain join the war, and forge a peace treaty that strongly favors Japan, such as huge reparations and the annexation of all Sakhalin.)

This makes the Japanese proud less, because Britain helped them, but they will get a very satisfactory treaty, which means avoiding a violent reaction, and thus sowing the seeds of extremism.

Add also avoiding the Wilson presidency (make Charles Hughes triumph in 1916) and it might mean passing the racial equality clause in the Treaty of Versailles.

Therefore, Western goodwill towards Japan still exists, and therefore Japan does not feel its inferiority complex, and they do not go crazy later.

Besides the survival of the Qing Dynasty, which means neither the era of warlords nor the Mukden Incident, thus Sino-Japanese relations are much better.

Besides the survival of the Qing Dynasty, which means neither the era of warlords nor the Mukden Incident, thus Sino-Japanese relations are much better.

Bit hard keep Qing Dynasty around any longer than in OTL with 1900 POD. Perhaps possible but not plausible.

So my suggestion is that Yuan Shikai never takes power on whatever reason or he is more rational and not mess things by declaring himself as emperor.

The only Japanese guy who thought this was a good idea was shot by the Koreans. Unlike the Kingdom of Hungary which existed inside of Austria with legislative autonomy since 1526, Korea never had such leverage in Imperial Japan and neither did they have any real rights due to it.

ahmedali

Banned
Bit hard keep Qing Dynasty around any longer than in OTL with 1900 POD. Perhaps possible but not plausible.

So my suggestion is that Yuan Shikai never takes power on whatever reason or he is more rational and not mess things by declaring himself as emperor.

It is much more reasonable

Just have Yuan decide that Sun's offer is not attractive and thus declare allegiance to the emperor and suppress the revolt

There's a conceptual problem. In Europe, the state was the property of the monarch, so multiple states could be inherited by someone like property. Unfortunately for this case this was not the framework of statehood throughout the world. That's why personal unions don't exist outside of Europe: because they cannot. The rest of the world never saw the state that way.

In fact, looking at it objectively, it's kind of weird that the Europeans did.

TL;DR - no it's not possible. I'm not even sure the ASBs could do it

NB - you could give the Koreans equal rights in the Japanese empire. Just not this way

Not really

Hirohito said where is the origin of the family is Korean
The Japanese said a lot of things about other Asians being their kin. In reality though it was more like Nazi racism against Slavs, just with a lot more hypocrisy.

The official policy to Koreans changed over the years IIRC. Initially the Koreans were considered part of the ‘Yamato Race’, just in need of guidance from their Elder Brother:rolleyes: It was only in the Showa Period that official policy became more Nazi-ish.

Emphasis on official policy of course. The Japanese occupation of Korea was…not pleasant at any point.

At what point could civic assimilationist nationalism with less racism than OTL become popular? In Separated at Birth, the assimilationist civnat ideology of "Fascism" in the *US is applied in Scandinavia, France and Japan in the 1920s