Worldwar: Filling the Gaps?

Oh, wow. I forgot about that.:eek: I don't know enough about old politics, I guess. How's this? Should I just give Hull a second term?

I'm not sure if Hull would even go for a first term considering his health which must have worsened with the war like FDR's and that he seemed rather reluctant to take the job in the first place. If so the Democrats would be in something of a crisis over who to dominate, Patton might even get the job. :p

Given his less noteworthy role in the war, I doubt Ike would become President.

Jcw3

Banned
I'm not sure if Hull would even go for a first term considering his health which must have worsened with the war like FDR's and that he seemed rather reluctant to take the job in the first place. If so the Democrats would be in something of a crisis over who to dominate, Patton might even get the job. :p

Given his less noteworthy role in the war, I doubt Ike would become President.

Ike led a successful campaign through Missouri against a Race toehold, and was already a famous general.

Again, I'm not sure about Hull. If you can give me any advice, I'll need it.

1965-1968 Harold Stassen/Omar Bradley/Leslie Groves

Unless you are saying that an analog to the 25th Amendment was ratified between 1944 and 1962, Stassen did not have a VP. (And it's certainly rational that such an amendment would come early, given the deaths of Wallace and Roosevelt.)

1944-1948 Cordell Hull/Carter Glass/George Marshall(Emergency Positions)

I've personally always been ok with Hull keeping the job in 1944 until 1948. Given how much of a mess the country was in, Hull might feel duty-bound to keep as much stability as possible, despite his health, and it's not as if the GOP would be in a position to launch a serious campaign. Give Hull a Repub VP in 1944 (someone youngish like Dewey to keep everyone breathing easy), let it be the first uncontested election since 1820 in the best interest of the country, then concentrate on 1952.

Certainly not Carter Glass for VP--he was dead in 1946.

Last edited:
Ike led a successful campaign through Missouri against a Race toehold, and was already a famous general.

Ike's probably weaker than some other choices. Bradley, for example, oversaw the Battle of Denver, which pretty much saved the country at the last moment. He'd probably be a lot more visible/electable than Ike in this timeline.

Why would liberating Missouri make Eisenhower prime political material? There were other reasons that propelled him into the Republican nomination in 1952 that won't exist in this world.

Jcw3

Banned
Unless you are saying that an analog to the 25th Amendment was ratified between 1944 and 1962, Stassen did not have a VP. (And it's certainly rational that such an amendement would come early, given the deaths of Wallace and Roosevelt.)

I've personally always been ok with Hull keeping the job in 1944 until 1948. Given how much of a mess the country was in, Hull might feel duty-bound to keep as much stability as possible, despite his health, and it's not as if the GOP would be in a position to launch a serious campaign. Give Hull a Repub VP in 1944 (someone youngish like Dewey to keep everyone breathing easy), let it be the first uncontested election since 1820 in the best interest of the country, then concentrate on 1952.

Certainly not Carter Glass for VP--he was dead in 1946.

OK. I still have no idea what I'm doing .This is my first TL. That's no excuse, though. Yeah, I was planning on having the 25th amendment made, or at least something very close.

OK. Omar Bradley as President, then?
POTUS 1932-2020
1932-1944 Franklin D. Roosevelt/Henry A. Wallace/Cordell Hull
1944-1948 Cordell Hull/Thomas E. Dewey/George Marshall(Emergency Positions)
1948-1956 George Marshall/Harry F. Byrd/Omar Bradley
1956-1960 Omar Bradley/Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr./Dwight Eisenhower
1960-1965 Earl Warren/Harold Stassen/Dwight Eisenhower
1968-1976 Hubert H. Humphrey/Lyndon B. Johnson/Otto Chase
1976-1980 Otto Chase/Jesse M. Unruh/Francois Duvalier
1980-1984 Gerald Ford/Kevin Donlan/Jonathan Gibbs
1984-1992 Gabriel Cornalis/Jimmy Mondal/Everett Stone
1992-2000 Henry Clinton/Timothy Smith/Lucille Friedman
2000-2004 Akamai Kealoha/Jon Liebowitz/Steve C. Olbert
2004-2012 Antonio Adams/Dave Montgomery/Oliver Thomson
2012-2020 Joyce Peterman/Jeremy Parker/Adlai Stevenson III

1968-1976 Hubert H. Humphrey/Lyndon B. Johnson/Otto Chase

If this is Otto Chase, the cement factory employee from Dixon, Ill who briefly appears in ItB, then he's probably not going to be a Sec of State. We know only a few factoids about the guy, but nothing suggests he has the education and foreign policy experience to qualify him for that position, or that he can attain it between 1944 and 1968. The American people are pickier about that position than the POTUS. Chase is, in an odd way, more qualified to be POTUS than Sec of State.

Why would Papa Doc Duvalier migrate to the US when he can still pretty readily become a big fish in Haiti?

Jcw3

Banned
If this is Otto Chase, the cement factory employee from Dixon, Ill who briefly appears in ItB, then he's probably not going to be a Sec of State. We know only a few factoids about the guy, but nothing suggests he has the education and foreign policy experience to qualify him for that position, or that he can attain it between 1944 and 1968. The American people are pickier about that position than the POTUS. Chase is, in an odd way, more qualified to be POTUS than Sec of State.

Why would Papa Doc Duvalier migrate to the US when he can still pretty readily become a big fish in Haiti?
I was implying that Haiti would be annexed by the United States. It's independence is stated in Second Contacts, but that's sixteen years before Duvalier's Secretary-ship.

I know, I just feel weird about not having a character from the books have a part in politics. Also, insert John Boehner joke here. I made up a character to replace Chase.
POTUS 1932-2020
1968-1976 Hubert H. Humphrey/Lyndon B. Johnson/Carlos Tynetion

I was implying that Haiti would be annexed by the United States. It's independence is stated in Second Contacts, but that's sixteen years before Duvalier's Secretary-ship.

There isn't anything at the end of Aftershocks or in Homeward Bound that suggests the US went on an annexation jag.

Jcw3

Banned
There isn't anything at the end of Aftershocks or in Homeward Bound that suggests the US went on an annexation jag.

Nothing that suggests it didn't, either. I see your point, though.

...My Ameriwank. :(
POTUS 1932-2020
1968-1976 Hubert H. Humphrey/Lyndon B. Johnson/Carlos Tynetion
1976-1980 Otto Chase/Jesse M. Unruh/Francis Chamoh