WI: Tom Selleck as Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark?

As some of you may know, Tom Selleck was once upon a time going to be the actor to play the now famous character of Indiana Jones in Raiders of the Lost Ark. However, he couldn't be in both Raiders and Magnum, P.I. so as we all know, the role of Indy eventually went to Harrison Ford. However, lets say that things are different, and that Selleck can be in both Raiders and Magnum, P.I.

Would Raiders still have been the hit it was, without Harrison Ford playing Indy? How would the character of Indiana Jones be different if Selleck had played him?How Selleck and Ford's careers be different? Assuming Raiders is a success, would future films have played out?

The Vulture

Banned
I like Selleck and think he's a good actor, I just don't think the character would be quite as appealing as it was with Ford. Ford gives off more of that everyman vibe, he made Jones a guy who made mistakes and got through things by the skin of his teeth. You could relate to that, which I feel was a lot of the appeal of the series.

Selleck. . . not so much, if Magnum PI is any indicator. Raiders would be remembered as a decent action movie that made back expenses at the box office, but it wouldn't be the iconic shared cultural experience. Hell, we probably wouldn't even have the "shooting the swordsman" scene.

Your very lucky my girlfriend is not a member of this wonderful board. She would dress up with the OFFICIAL hat and a leather jacket in high school. She would also give you all a very long reply, so much she would the whole page to herself. :D

MrP

Banned
I like Selleck and think he's a good actor, I just don't think the character would be quite as appealing as it was with Ford. Ford gives off more of that everyman vibe, he made Jones a guy who made mistakes and got through things by the skin of his teeth. You could relate to that, which I feel was a lot of the appeal of the series.

Selleck. . . not so much, if Magnum PI is any indicator. Raiders would be remembered as a decent action movie that made back expenses at the box office, but it wouldn't be the iconic shared cultural experience. Hell, we probably wouldn't even have the "shooting the swordsman" scene.

IIRC, the shooting the swordsman scene was down to Ford coming down with a bad case of diarrhoea and not being up to the complicated choreography of a swordfight. So I agree that's certainly a butterflyable incident.

Harrison Ford is more appealing: he's rugged, charming, but also has an everyman vibe to make him approachable and identifiable while likewise viewed as cool. Tom Selleck doesn't come off as rugged to me.

That said, it doesn't necessarily mean there won't be more films in the Indiana Jones franchise.

Much like the Ghostbusters movies I think the movie(s) would be remembered fondly, but probably not be considered true modern classics.

"Yea, Indiana Jones, the ones with that Magnum guy fighting the Nazis. I liked those. Whatever happened to him?"

Would Raiders still have been the hit it was, without Harrison Ford playing Indy? How would the character of Indiana Jones be different if Selleck had played him?How Selleck and Ford's careers be different? Assuming Raiders is a success, would future films have played out?

Well,Tom Selleck was probably more right for the role of an 30s adventurer.
Selleck is more in line with the actors of the Hollywood golden age,like Clark Gable , Errol Flynn or Douglas Fairbanks Jr.
So i think that was a more classic Indiana Jones.
Harrison Ford is not truly in line with 30s.

Assuming a blockbuster like in OTL,i think that Selleck would become a very big name.

Well,Tom Selleck was probably more right for the role of an 30s adventurer.

Anybody remember Selleck in 'High Road to China' which is set in the 19202-30s? I barely do. I would wonder if Selleck as Jones would usher in a new age of the moustache - more so than Magnum.

MrP

Banned
Anybody remember Selleck in 'High Road to China' which is set in the 19202-30s? I barely do. I would wonder if Selleck as Jones would usher in a new age of the moustache - more so than Magnum.

There is something unnaturally alluring about Selleck's moustache. Or perhaps I'm just possessed by the spirit of Monica Geller.

Professor Henry Walton "Indiana" Jones Jr.

tomselleck.png

cumbria

Banned
IIRC, the shooting the swordsman scene was down to Ford coming down with a bad case of diarrhoea and not being up to the complicated choreography of a swordfight. So I agree that's certainly a butterflyable incident.

I saw when he said that.
Great stuff.
Best part of the film.

An Englishman would fit with the Colonial adventurer role more than an American.
As for choices im not sure.
Oliver Reed may have been good as long as he sported the English playboy tash.
I'm not sure. It is Indiana Jones, not Essex Jones, Manchester Jones, or Cockney Jones.