WI: Technology Progressed Alot Slower in the 19th Century and 20th Century?

Originally I was going to ask this in the before 1900 section of AH.com but I was thinking maybe I should post this here. My question and this is also a WI as well, what if technology for intents and purposes by the 21st century remains as it did in the late 1800s and early 1900s? This is probably going to be ASB territory but I noticed that there aren't a lot of questions dealing with this possibly strange and ASB question. So I thought I might as well ask about it on here.

Is it possible that the technology that we created in the late 19th century and in the early 20th century just stayed as it is right now? Would it be possible that the technology evolved to the point that it resembled steampunk?

Also is it possible to revert back to 19th century style living and be forced to rely on technology from the late 1800s and early 1900s? I'm not talking about societal or culture from this period, I am more thinking about technology wise.

I can't see that technology would be stagnated to early 20th century. Perhaps in some such nations as in Bhutan but not in Europe nor North America. Only way to slow down technology advancement greatly is total nuclear war.