WI: Taft doesn't run in 1908?

I don't think I've seen this asked so here I go, what if William Howard Taft didn't run for president in 1908? What if for some reason, he refuses Theodore Roosevelt? Who does Teddy choose to back or does he run for a third term? Who would've been the nominee come the election and would they have won? What are your thoughts on this?

I don't think I've seen this asked so here I go, what if William Howard Taft didn't run for president in 1908? What if for some reason, he refuses Theodore Roosevelt? Who does Teddy choose to back or does he run for a third term? Who would've been the nominee come the election and would they have won? What are your thoughts on this?

Nothing for sure but Charles E Hughes is as likely as anyone.

Taft probably becomes Chief Justice a decade earlier than OTL.

I think it depends if he find someone that he thinks will carry on his work. If he can't find someone he might annouce a third bid in 1908. Which would be a TL I'd love to see.

Root was asked to run, but declined for health reasons. Also, his very close ties to Wall Street would have made him a tough sell outside the northeast. I've seen George Cortelyou advanced as a possibility: from New York; reasonably progressive; acceptable to the party as a whole. Hughes is also possible, although relations between Hughes and Roosevelt were on the cool side; still, they were both sufficiently professional that it's reasonable to assume they could set aside personal differences to work together for the good of the nation.