So, what would be the effects of Qing China deciding not to conquer the Konbaung Kingdom of Burma in the mid-1760's while the latter is engaged in a destructive final war with the Thai?
Could Burma end up decisively destroying and crippling Ayutthaya for good with no chance of a Taksin figure ever arising to stabilize the situation?
How would Ayutthaya be partitioned? I could see Burma deiciding to annex Lan Na (the northwestern province) and all the lands up to the Chao Phraya river, giving it control over both shores of the northern Kra isthmus. The rest could be gobbled up by Burma's Laotian allies (not sure if it's Luang Prabang or Vientiane by this point though), and the Khmer could also stick an oar.
Thoughts?

Bump.
What happens to the Karen tribes, do they get a political incentive by their Burmese overlords in order to divide and conquer Thailand?

Bumping one last time. Would Vietnam come out strengthened or weakened by this arrangement?
In further regards to how partition would look, i could see Thailand partitioned in a manner similar to this map:
images

The yellow region is annexed by Burma as spoils of war, the blue region (Khorat Plateau) goes to the Laotian kingdom, the Khmer, assuming they're stable and strong enough to project power, take the red region to the east of Bangkok, the Malay states exert influence over the southern red areas, while a rump Ayutthaya remains in the central green region.

Last edited:
I wonder how long Burma could maintain control over Thai territories, considering that the Taungoo Kingdom lost its hold over Ayutthaya after its conquest. It’d have some interesting butterflies either way, that’s for sure.

I can't tell for the South East Asian States but Qing China is beter off. The invasion of Burma seemed wasteful. Maybe the manpower is later used to invade Central Asia? The potential of success is up to speculations but it alters the region enough.