WI: More Irish immigration to Mexico

Only way I can see this happening is if the USA passes a Catholic exclusion act, this would mean many Catholics will have to look elsewhere to settle.

If that is the case then Mexico would be low on the list for an Irishman, most will go to British colonies, i.e. Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand. Or to Argentina, Brazil before they go to Mexico.

I imagine Mexico would need a better developed industrial sector. Irish immigrants to the US and elsewhere typically concentrated in urban areas, since many were destitute and couldn't afford tracts of land to pursue farming.

In terms of assimilation I imagine it'd be pretty smooth. Catholics would be more welcome in Mexico than anywhere else the Irish diaspora ended up and Spanish isn't all that difficult for an english speaker to learn (not sure about gaelic).

I'm surprised that Mexico didn't see more Italian immigration, considering that they're both Latin Catholic countries and that Argentina and Brazil got boatloads of Italian immigration (Buenos Aires and Sao Paulo are practically half Italian).
As for the Irish, there was that Irish legion that defected to Mexico during the Mexican-American War. I think it was called San Patricio's Legion.

Marc

Donor
For emigrants, the fundamentals are economics, language, and politics. Mexico wouldn't and didn't work well for most on all three of those factors.
Why by contrast, Italians did migrate in very large numbers to Argentina (second largest exodus outside of coming to the United States) in the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

Last edited: