WI: Marx goes to Texas?

Hello all,
So, it's well-known that in the 19th century, Texas had a large German-speaking minority, many of whom were liberals and radicals who fled Europe after the failed revolutions of 1830 and 1848. Very nearly, Karl Marx would have been among their number -- as a young man, Marx had planned to leave Germany for Texas, even applying for an immigration permit in 1841. He would move to Paris and then later London instead. In London, he would become a founding member of the International Workingmen's Association (aka the First Communist International), and would write both Das Kapital and The Communist Manifesto.

What would history have been like if Marx was in the US, and wasn't there to write about the "spectre haunting Europe" ? I find it unlikely that without Marx, there'd be no economic theory which would compete with liberal-capitalism -- Marx was one of a whole community of intellectuals, labour organisers, economists, and professional revolutionaries, who emerged out of the revolutionary waves of the mid-19th century. But if Marx was on the other side of the Atlantic, I don't know if his own theories would carry the same influence. Or maybe his theories would have become influential, but he wouldn't have been able to lead the First International. Idk.

Maybe Marx would have had great political success in the US. It is known that Marx was a staunch supporter of the Union during the American Civil War; that he corresponded with Lincoln; that he encouraged the American proletariat to support the abolitionist cause; that the IWA of America officially endorsed the Union and abolitionism; and that one of his closest associates -- Joseph Weydemeyer, the former head of the Frankfurt chapter of the Communist Party and editor of some of Marx's early works -- was also a lieutenant-colonel in the Union Army, and became an influential figure in the early American labour movement and the Republican Party. However, many of the other influential German Communists in the US -- for example, August Willich and Alexander Schimmelfennig -- were specifically part of the anti-Marx faction of the young Communist movement, and probably wouldn't agree to his leadership; maybe they (and Americans, like Wendell Phillips) could work with him, but I still don't know if the movement that would arise would be "Marxism."

So, what do you think? How would this have affected world history? Cheers, all!

Lol okay, I guess it's not like I'm the first person in the world to think about this. But come on, the most recent of those is from 2019; the others are from 2016 and 2013. And anyway, I provided more context and fleshed out the scenario more than any of those. I don't think this is an over-discussed cliché scenario, and I think we can still have a discussion about it.

Last edited:
As I've said a few times before, I still think he'd end up eventually migrating to Milwaukee; it would have been more urban, possessed a larger number of 48ers, and would have offered more opportunity to a man like Marx. I always imagine him either starting a newspaper or working for one and moving his way up to editor. It would be fascinating to see what impact the American Civil War has on his thoughts; especially as he'd be witnessing while in the nation, rather than as a foreign struggle.

I agree with the general consensus that he’d eventually leave Texas, Marx was ultimately a city dweller at heart and woudnt like Texan life. An interesting place for him to then go is New Orleans, though I can also see NYC or Boston, as he may want to leave the South entirely for various reasons. What’s interesting is the potential effects rural life would have on his writings, and his development of his ideology, along with the civil war and slavery, and then reconstruction. I could see him maybe adding some reverence of the founding fathers into his beliefs, and perhaps admiration of the frontier life, even if it’s not the life for him.

I could see Marx adding a fair bit about black liberation into his ideology, and thus influencing the civil rights movement later on. The movement was already partially inspired by leftist thought, but with Marx in the US itself, his influence on the movement could be even greater.

Things also get interesting when the labor movement begins in the US. Marx being American could lead to some interesting changes there, though I don’t know enough about the American labor movement to go into depth in any way.

Last edited:
Lol okay, I guess it's not like I'm the first person in the world to think about this. But come on, the most recent of those is from 2019; the others are from 2016 and 2013. And anyway, I provided more context and fleshed out the scenario more than any of those. I don't think this is an over-discussed cliché scenario, and I think we can still have a discussion about it.
Sure. Just providing links to previous discussions.

I discussed the possibility of Marx emigrating to Texas at https://soc.history.what-if.narkive.com/Hc4aDQ00/lone-star-karl-marx-becomes-a-texan I also mentioned it more recently here at https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-moved-to-texas-in-1843.476157/#post-19570044:

I have a feeling that if Marx doesn't get out of Texas by the time of the ACW, he may come to a bad end: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nueces_massacre

But probably by that time he would long since have moved again--if not back to Europe, then to some US city offering more opportunities to German-American radical journalists than rural Texas (St. Louis, Chicago, and New York are all possibilities).

Well, he wouldn’t meet Freddy Engels for one. That’s huge for both his life’s work and the legacy of it immediately following his death.