On July 16, it will be 20 years since John F. Kennedy Jr died in a plane crash alongside his wife and sister in law. It was speculated that Kennedy might've gone into politics in the 2000s had he lived.

But what if instead of entering the publishing world with the magazine George, Kennedy had decided to follow in his father's footsteps and ran for office in the mid 1990s? How far could Kennedy's career have gone? Might his premature death have been butterflied away?

That's a good question. I've watched a couple of interviews with him where his eyes absolutely glazed over when he was forced to talk about his father. So, that would've been a challenge.

There's also the fact that he allegedly wasn't the sharpest stick in the box, That he failed the New York Bar a few times, etc. etc. But I think he was bright enough and everyone around him could've carried him pretty far.... if he wanted.

On July 16, it will be 20 years since John F. Kennedy Jr died in a plane crash alongside his wife and sister in law. It was speculated that Kennedy might've gone into politics in the 2000s had he lived.

But what if instead of entering the publishing world with the magazine George, Kennedy had decided to follow in his father's footsteps and ran for office in the mid 1990s? How far could Kennedy's career have gone? Might his premature death have been butterflied away?
That's a good question. I've watched a couple of interviews with him where his eyes absolutely glazed over when he was forced to talk about his father. So, that would've been a challenge.

There's also the fact that he allegedly wasn't the sharpest stick in the box, That he failed the New York Bar a few times, etc. etc. But I think he was bright enough and everyone around him could've carried him pretty far.... if he wanted.
He loved Journalism and allowed to be himself. dunno if politics would be the same, reminder, he was a kid when his father was brutally murder, worse in national tv...he have all the right to have issues and refuse to talk about his dad.

Dunno, we use him, but he could be very skilful in the lawmaking process and redacting bills but have the charisma to push some causes and ideas.

I think JFK Jr. would have actually had a hard time entering politics before his OTL date of death, since the Democratic Party in New York is pretty crowded and no one would want to give up their place to a rich kid trading on his family's name. If he'd stayed in the Manhattand District attorney's office, he might have been able to get elected to a city council seat or become DA himself, and eventually become mayor, but by that point he would be too closely associated with NYC politics to win anything statewidde.

I think JFK Jr. would have actually had a hard time entering politics before his OTL date of death, since the Democratic Party in New York is pretty crowded and no one would want to give up their place to a rich kid trading on his family's name. If he'd stayed in the Manhattand District attorney's office, he might have been able to get elected to a city council seat or become DA himself, and eventually become mayor, but by that point he would be too closely associated with NYC politics to win anything statewidde.

I've read somewhere that JFK Jr didn't want to become Mayor. I do believe that he thought of running for Governor in 2002.

So if he decides to go into politics in the 1990s, then maybe he runs for the State Legislature or Attorney General with the intention of succeeding Pataki as Governor.

I've read somewhere that JFK Jr didn't want to become Mayor. I do believe that he thought of running for Governor in 2002.

I heard that too. He felt that the New York Senate candidacy was sewed up by Hilary Clinton in 1999, but he was seriously considering making a run for the governorship.

I heard that too. He felt that the New York Senate candidacy was sewed up by Hilary Clinton in 1999, but he was seriously considering making a run for the governorship.

This might put him into conflict with Andrew Cuomo, who was actually his cousin-in-law at the time. Or might Cuomo stay out in deference?

This might put him into conflict with Andrew Cuomo, who was actually his cousin-in-law at the time. Or might Cuomo stay out in deference?

Maybe if Kennedy thinks that Pataki, in the aftermath of 9/11, is too popular to beat in 2002 he'll stay out of the race and endorse Cuomo. Once Pataki is done then Kennedy runs in 2006 and probably wins easily.

But if he does run in 2002, Kennedy could get the nomination however I think he'd lose to Pataki.

I wouldn’t put the 2000 Senate race against Hillary Clinton out of the picture. He might not have declared at the time of his death, but I believe that if there was any seat that JFK Jr. wouldn’t want to pass up, it would be the seat his uncle had held. Up against a Kennedy, in New York of all places, Hillary would’ve stood no chance.

Spy was a magazine back in the 1990s that took a sharp but humorous look at the worlds of politics, entertainment, publishing, etc. Like Private Eye in tone but not especially in content.

In their last issue, they ran an article on the early days of George, the political magazine he co-founded. It's really interesting and worth a read. They describe a pretty bright guy who was popular with staff but at the end of the day, the project itself was a little unfocused. I think that's a good indication of him, and this newer generation of Kennedys in general. You kind of wonder what their point is? (Except, of course, having a truly beautiful head of hair.)

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ce=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

If he declares before her, she might not run for that seat and instead might run for office in Arkansas or run for a certain senate seat in Illinois in 2004.

Arkansas would probably be a better bet given her history with the state. At the time Democrats could get elected Governor or Senator without much trouble, so if New York is closed to her HRC could always go back down South.