Let's say that for whatever reason Hitler dies the exact day after the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact was signed and Goring takes over. With the invasion of Poland planned to occur a week later, what are the major implications of the fuhrer dying so suddenly? Would the invasion be delayed a month to mourn or would it occur on schedule? Would the nonaggression agreement with Stalin end even sooner? Would Germany make better decisions or was Hitler a symptom of Nazi impulsiveness rather than a cause?

marktaha

Banned
It was signed on 8/24/39. Goering I assume would have taken over but might have hesitated before actually going to war.

It was signed on 8/24/39. Goering I assume would have taken over but might have hesitated before actually going to war.
I dont know about that. There was a huge economic push towards war now. The whole German armed forces were deep into use it or lose land. The plans were in place and the forces were moving. I suspect they would blame international Jewry for his death and invade in his memory.
It would be a very different war…….

kham_coc

Banned
I could see a different nazi regime securing limited goals on Poland and then being happy.
But that late, no they are committed.
I could plausibly see how a not Hitler nazi Germany wouldn't be interested in further war once France falls (presuposing the war goes as otl).

I could see a different nazi regime securing limited goals on Poland and then being happy.
A new Nazi leader would no doubt be more concerned about advancing the position of Germany than by conquering Russia and executing Jews (and others). He might look to break the Ukraine away from the USSR in order to make an ally to the east. People in work camps might return home to help rebuild the economy. There would be incidental casualties but not Hitler's Holocaust.

With the invasion of Poland planned to occur a week later
The invasion of Poland was actually originally scheduled to begin two days later on August 26, 1939. Hitler delayed the invasion on August 25 after he was informed that Italy was not in a position to participate in the war and that the Anglo-Polish alliance had been ratified in London.

The invasion of Poland was actually originally scheduled to begin two days later on August 26, 1939. Hitler delayed the invasion on August 25 after he was informed that Italy was not in a position to participate in the war and that the Anglo-Polish alliance had been ratified in London.
Could his death further delay it to an October invasion?

A new Nazi leader would no doubt be more concerned about advancing the position of Germany than by conquering Russia and executing Jews (and others). He might look to break the Ukraine away from the USSR in order to make an ally to the east. People in work camps might return home to help rebuild the economy. There would be incidental casualties but not Hitler's Holocaust.
Hitler was (by far) not the only nazi who was a genocidal maniac.

TDM

Kicked
There seems to be this enduring idea that only Hitler:

1). felt the wrong side won WW1 and is very keen to right that perceived wrong

2). Underestimated the Soviets (and well lots of people do that outside of Germany as well!)

3). want's a German empire

4). wants to end the "threat" of Judaism and "judeo-bolshivism"

2). Underestimated the Soviets (and well lots of people do that outside of Germany as well!)

oh yeah there's no way just one man could paddle Germany that far up shits creek. it took a whole team of rowers.

You know, maybe the cause for this is to have Hitler suffer a fatal heart attack after all the anger and such occurring around him?

Who's succeeding Hitler is the question here
As I said in the op, Goring

Which is why I think they'd only wait a month tops. I was just wondering if they'd wait until after Hitler was buried and memorialized first and if they would make any better decisions during the war (tactically, nor morally).

TDM

Kicked
As I said in the op, Goring

Which is why I think they'd only wait a month tops. I was just wondering if they'd wait until after Hitler was buried and memorialized first and if they would make any better decisions during the war (tactically, nor morally).

Sorry that's fair enough,

I agree they might delay but it won't be a long one, pressure will be building to go. And besides what's a better memorial for the dear Fuhrer than 'righting the wrong of Poland'.

As to better decisions, this is a tough one, as he became a bit of convenient fall guy in many post war memoirs that are based around "we would have won if it wasn't for that meddling Hitler".

But he did meddle, he did change his mind, and especially as the situation worsened his decisions grew more removed from reality. However it's not like anyone else likely to be in charge was a military genius and frankly a lot of political leadership decisions were realized in the field by OKW & OKH anyway. Goering's not going to suddenly develop the military genius to defeat the soviets, this is a man who was already having trouble with pressure and morphine

Last edited:
A few things with Göring.

- He supported the army and air craft, but he was concerned about the SS, so he would sideline them
- He was supportive to a monarchy, and the church, so he would not persecute them that much
- He simply did not care about racial politics, so he would tone it down a bit
-He would wage war of conquest, but not necessarily for territory. He would probably be satisfied with puppet nations
- He would seek peace with the west.
- He was supportive of Aircraft Carriers, but not submarines and Battleships
- He would try much more to have Spain, Portugal, Finland, Norway etc. as an ally