WI: Germanic tribes never move out of Scandinavia

What if Germanic tribes never settled past their 750 B.C. borders? Would the Romans, assuming their empire isn't somehow butterflied away, settle Germania? Would the Celts? Red is 750 B.C.
200px-Germanic_tribes_(750BC-1AD).png

Well, depending on whether or not the hypotheses surrounding the Nordwestblock are true, you may see a population of Celts (Boii, Helvetii, etc) coexisting along a pre-Indo-European population existing along Northwest Germany. You may also see substantial migration of the Veneti and other Balto-Slavic groups into Central Germany at a later date.

If the Germanic tribes stay in Scandinavia, it's because someone keep them out of Germany. I would say that either the Celts and Balto-Slavs keep them out or maybe both. Of course the Germanic surplus population have to somewhere. A earlier expansion into Finnic (including Estonia) area are likely, I could also further expansion in similar climate zone (the blue on the map).

regiones_peq.jpg

There they will live until they're either pushed out of the Russian areas by someone expanding from south (like it happened for the Finnic people), or until they themselves expand down the Volga river like the Russians did (but it likely only happen in the early modern era). If the people living along Dnieper see a Mongolian style invasion with population decimated, a expansion that way is also possible. I think we will see a linguistic split between the Peninsula Germanics (The Scandinavians) and Mainland Germanics (likely speaking something like East Germanic), the West Germanic will either die out or end up as a small group on the Jutish peninsula and in Mecklenburg, through maybe we could see somekind of migration to the British islands here too.

SRBO

Banned
There is no reason to stay there. Scandinavian terrain is absolute garbage for anything, and by the time coal and iron from there can be used meaningfully they would be talking all Slav and Celt and shit. I doubt they would go north around the gulf of bothinia probably because they think there is nothing there

There is no reason to stay there. Scandinavian terrain is absolute garbage for anything, and by the time coal and iron from there can be used meaningfully they would be talking all Slav and Celt and shit. I doubt they would go north around the gulf of bothinia probably because they think there is nothing there

Yes Scandinavia is pretty bad land, but there's a reason we dwell here, it's because agriculture is possible, while the areas is next to impossible to conquer, plus people wouldn't walk around the Gulf of Bothnia, they would sail over like they historical did. The expansion into Finland would likely happen as the Germanics (around 500BC) began to use iron, this would give them an edge against the Finns, and also enable more isolated settlements, as they no longer would need access the tin and copper trade network.

The Vistula Veneti could be the group which expand into the Elbe upland, while the Celts could be the group settling in the Rhine upland.