WI:Anne Boleyn dies 1532.

I think that Henry would chose Hedwig as his queen because she is already able to give him children faster than Dorthea, plus she has the added benefit of not being bloodrelated something that might be good for the inbreed Tudor dymnasty. Hedwig had 6 children who all lived to adulthood, I think she and Henry can manage three royal bairs, two sons and a daughter.

She might also prove a calming influence on the destruction of the monastries, especially if she has a prince of wales before that.

It's funny to find that someone else has the idea of Hedwig becoming queen of England, in my future TL she does to!

March – April 1534

The Duke of Suffolk was impressed with Hedwig Jagiellon, who was clever (but not as sharp-tongued as Lady Anne), beautiful rather than pretty, and didn’t look like she’d break if Henry bedded her. The same could not be said for Dorothea, who was pretty, petite, and seemed less than interested in conversation (via translator, as was the interview with Hedwig – who was already learning English). Dorothea’s parents were interested in retrieving their throne and wanted to know if King Henry VIII was interested in wedding Dorothea to be King of more than one kingdom. Charles Brandon was a soldier, not a politician and told the former King Christian II as much. Christian was also less able to provide a suitable dowry for his daughter (especially considering his obvious plans to ask Henry for money and possibly troops in the future). King Sigismund I (‘the Old’) and his wife were more than willing to provide a dowry and were apparently pleased with Lady Margaret (now Princess and wife of the heir); but were pleased that all the ladies except Katherine Basset would be leaving with the Duke.

Upon their return (via rough seas) in early April, Brandon informed his friend that Hedwig was his best bet. She was more attractive than her severe expression in her portrait suggested, was twenty years of age and ripe of figure, unlike the delicate Dorothea. Henry was especially worried about being dragged into a war in the north. It wasn’t that Henry didn’t mind a ‘good war’, but this was in-fighting within a country, unlike his sojourn in France. Henry’s decision to ‘reinforce’ his ties with the House of Jagiellon rather than forge new ones with the deposed monarch of Denmark obviously disappointed Cromwell, among others. Charles Brandon had noted that Christina (the younger daughter, already betrothed with the Duke of Milan) had she been older, would have been a better match intellectually than her older sister. But she was in the midst of watching her trousseau being assembled and, like many females, was absorbed in that rather than the emissary of her sister’s potential husband.

Last edited by a moderator:
May – June 1534

Philippa Basset preferred the attentions of Charles Brandon to those of the King. Henry intimidated him, while Charles was kind. However, the princess was sure to keep and close watch on the Duke when he visited, having heard the stories about how he wed her aunt right under the noses of two kings. Charles and Mary had been personal favorites of the princess, because they had supported her mother right up until Mary’s death. Now, Mary wanted to make sure that he compromised none of her ladies, especially with her betrothal to Luis, Duke of Beja announced and the wedding date set for August.

Negotiations for the marriage of King Henry VIII and Princess Hedwig of Poland were well underway, the dowry was settled and all that remained were the finalization of jointures to be settled on the English Queen (which would be the ones formerly belonging to Katherine of Aragon, who still wrote the Pope and her nephew letters of protest to which neither man truly replied. In fact, the Pope felt she should take her ‘new position’ without complaint, if she was truly invested in the future of England; while Charles felt that the fact that her daughter Mary would remain heiress and maintain her position in her father’s land should be satisfactory to his aunt.)

The King’s bastard son Henry FitzRoy was now fifteen and his mother, the Dowager Baroness of Tailboys of Kyme, asked the King to find him a suitable wife. The former Elizabeth Blount’s letter to the King hinted that she thought perhaps the daughter of another Duke would be suitable. Both the Duke of Norfolk and Duke of Suffolk had suitably aged daughters, but Lady Mary Howard pled with the Princess Mary to talk against the matter to the King and Charles Brandon’s daughter Eleanor had no such problems with wedding a known bastard, so at the end of May, Lady Eleanor Brandon was betrothed to FitzRoy (pending a papal dispensation, which arrived at the end of June).

Lady Jane Grey's mum was Frances, Eleanor's older sister. She's already wed Henry Grey by this point.

Dammit! Hate it when I get these things mixed up. Oh well, lets hope Frances eiter has a son in '34-36 as she did OTL, but the boy was either stillborn or died soon after. She had a daughter before Jane as well, so maybe said daughter lives instead of Jane (who here will probably be Hedwig Grey (sounds like the cousin to Harry Potter's owl)

Since there was no Anne, Jane Seymour doesn't happen, so no Edward VI, no chance for Jane Grey to be slipped into the succession ahead of Mary, no matter what her mother names her.

With Hedwig married to Henry marriage of her half-sister Isabella to James V seems likely (IOTL Hedwig was once proposed to him by Francis I). So Janos Zapolya either finds another wife or he dies childless-what would happen with Eastern Hungary then? Ferdinand would claim Zapolya's portion of Hungary which he promised to him if he dies without children but Sultan would definitely oppose his claims. Earlier Bathory's rule in Transilvania?
There is also Elector of Brandenburg left without wife. Maybe he'll marry Anna Jagiellon (born 1523) instead?

TBH, James V was promised a French princess in a treaty between Scotland and France. Isabella's brother just wed James' half-sister Margaret, so he'd need a papal dispensation and I don't see him in any hurry to tie himself further to Archibald Douglas (his hated step-father).

With Hedwig married to Henry marriage of her half-sister Isabella to James V seems likely (IOTL Hedwig was once proposed to him by Francis I). So Janos Zapolya either finds another wife or he dies childless-what would happen with Eastern Hungary then? Ferdinand would claim Zapolya's portion of Hungary which he promised to him if he dies without children but Sultan would definitely oppose his claims. Earlier Bathory's rule in Transilvania?
There is also Elector of Brandenburg left without wife. Maybe he'll marry Anna Jagiellon (born 1523) instead?

What about one of the Margrave of Ansbach's daughters wedding Zapolya. Ansbach had married the widow of Janos Corvinus in order to get his hands on the Corvinid-Frangepan inheritance. Zapolya might propose to Anna Marie (b.1526) with a similar goal in mind (her Münsterberg mom could make her quite attractive)?

July 1534

The first of King Henry’s children to wed was his bastard son. He did not attend, but the Duke of Suffolk hosted the marriage (with the gift of forgiveness of his remaining debt to the King) and was every inch the proud father of the bridge. His elder daughters Mary (Baroness Monteagle) and Frances (Marquess of Dorset) acted in the stead of Eleanor’s late mother. Brandon’s eldest daughter did not attend the festivities, she had refused to attend with her husband Edward, Baron Grey of Powis. Princess Mary was the guest of honor independently of the bride and groom, although she seemed less than thrilled with the ‘honor’ her father had awarded her.

Henry had given strict orders that the marriage was not to be consummated. Popular opinion was that it was because of what had happened with his brother Arthur after marriage. The Duke of Suffolk knew there was another reason and for that reason Eleanor was daughter-in-law to the King. The young men the Duke of Richmond and Somerset ran with were an ambitious lot in the eyes of the King, and there had been whispers that FitzRoy believed his father would eventually make him, not Mary, the heir despite the wording of the Papal annulment of the King’s first marriage. The king planned to circumvent this by preventing a FitzRoy heir. Norfolk attended with his heir, one of FitzRoy’s closest friends, and watched with envy as Brandon re-forged family ties with the king.

Charles Brandon watched the proceedings with a vague feeling of dread. His only living son, Henry had been unable to attend, having a more virulent version of his late mother’s illness. It would not be long before he buried this child as well and he needed an heir more than the King did. Mary could inherit a crown, but his daughters would take the Duchy of Suffolk out of the Brandon home and into that of her husband’s. He had thought about wedding Catherine Willoughby himself after Henry’s death, but she was now in the household of Princess Mary as a lady-in-waiting. He danced with the bride, with Princess Mary, with the four ladies attending her (Catherine Willoughby, Mary Howard, Philippa Basset, and Jane Seymour) in turn and then withdrew to the sidelines with the Duke of Norfolk.

“Mary weds next,” Brandon said.

“Then the King himself,” was Howard’s comment. “Let’s hope she’s everything he wants.”

Brandon chuckled. “Let’s hope she gives him what he wants.”

“From your lips to God’s ears.”

August 1534

The entourage of the Duke of Beja included Portuguese nobility, but Spain had provided the ship as well its own delegation. Infante Philip (all of seven years old) represented his father Charles V – a not-so-subtle reminder of Mary’s heritage. It was impossible for King Henry VIII to keep the bride’s mother away from the ceremony, so it was somewhat of a surprise when Katherine arrived looking pale and ill. His former wife rallied well to play hostess to Beja and the others, but withdrew back to the convent after the three days of parties and feastings were over. Catherine Willoughby accompanied her mother Maria to the convent; Maria was concerned for her former mistress and Catherine was a dutiful daughter.

Charles Brandon was not present: the day he was to leave for the ceremony his son Henry, Earl of Lincoln died of the same illness that had taken his mother. But a week after the festivities, Henry VIII made a personal visit to his friend.

“What you need is a wife,” he informed Charles.

“Every man does,” was Brandon’s listless response. Since Henry had dismissed the other courtiers who had accompanied him, Brandon was not obliged to feign enthusiasm as a sign of respect for the King.

“I put Cromwell right on it,” continued the King.

“No, please, not Cromwell,” Brandon said as he picked up the ewer of wine. He poured more into the King’s glass and then into his own.

“Then who?” The King frowned at the man he considered one of his closest friends, Brandon shrugged. Henry patted Charles’ shoulder. “You could have your pick of our English roses, any of them.”

“My English rose is buried, sire. While I find many of these ladies attractive, they do not move me to matrimony.” Charles confessed. “I realize this is the place where you remind me of my words, but have mercy, sire, and let me wallow a bit in self-pity. I have lost my wife and my son; you understand best of all men how I feel.”

“I will find you a bride, Charles. I forbid to you to look for yourself. I will attend to the matter myself. Leave it to me.” With those words, the King rose and left the room as Charles frowned in thought. Who would the King believe to be a good wife for him?

I'm feeling a little bit of dread here myself...

Maybe I'm just a leeetle bit paranoid here, but...

Would Henry try to foist Katherine of Aragon on Charles?

Technically, she's free, and Henry could be very thoughtless when he wanted to be...

Besides, Katherine of Aragon still believes she's Henry TRUE wife and Clement was wrong. And Brandon would probably need a papal dispensation and wouldn't ask for it and I doubt if Clement would if asked by Henry VIII (she's past the time of women, that's the reason she's in the convent). Too weird, even for H8.

How’s Margaret Tudor doing? Is she still living in England? She had her last child probably around 1528/1529, so it’s possible she could marry and have at least one child with Charles Brandon, although I can see that being highly controversial, not least of which because she’s kinda double married (kinda) and his dead wife is her sister, but crazier things have happened.

Uh, she's still married to her third, having gotten that seriously questionable annulment from Douglas (her second husband). And Henry VIII thinks she's a bit of a slut for the reason she gave for her successful annulment from Douglas (that James IV might still have been alive at the time she wed Douglas). She was born in November 1489, which makes her almost 45 at this point, the same basic category as Katherine of Aragon for begetting healthy sons.

Guess again, Kynan.