WI:Anne Boleyn dies 1532.

That was more of joke on my part, however.....if anyone can come up with an attractive foreign girl NOT proposed for King Henry VIII........

February 1534

Yes, Eleonora d’Este was beautiful, yes, she was musical; but Charles Brandon quickly realized she lacked the taste for court life or talent for small talk that his friend the King of England would require to fall in love with his bride. And should Henry not fall in love with his bride, Charles knew that the Duke of Suffolk would pay and pay dearly. He’d already survived defying Henry once and knew better than to push his luck, so he was polite and chivalrous and went to Portugal after meeting the Papal choice for Queen of England.

Maria wasn’t interested, that was the problem with her. She was devout (as had been Eleonora), but was more suspicious of the King because of the rumors regarding Anne Boleyn’s religious beliefs and Henry’s acceptance of them. Eleonora had not heard the rumors, she was living in a convent. Charles wrote Henry about the rumors abounding on Anne Boleyn. And made his recommendations to his friend.

King Henry VIII was furious to learn about the rumors, agreed with Charles that Eleonora (who still wanted to take her vows) was another Katherine in the Italian rather than Spanish language and that Maria would be allowed to remain in Portugal. Besides, with Mary wedding Maria’s brother Luis, Henry could withdraw from the match honorably and without insulting the Portuguese King. Charles went north, hoping that either Dorothea or Hedwig would be acceptable to his friend.

Yeah, but Brandon's not stupid either. He might hornswaggle his way into marrying Henry's sister. But he would never try to marry a potential wife for Henry. That way lies suicide...

Maybe not marrying a potential wife for Henry but it wouldn't be the first time Brandon's been out on a limb for a foreign bride: Before he married Mary, Chaz Brandon was offered BY HENRY for MARGARETHE OF FREAKING AUSTRIA. Of course when her dad found out about this he was furious and Henry and Marge both were swearing up and down that they'd never dream of doing something like this. But, chances are that Margarethe was promising something with no intention of upholding her end, and Henry wanted to secure a friendly ally in Burgundy. I would LOVE to see such a match go through - if just for sheer ridiculousness.

Hedwig has advantage of age, Henry can't wait long, he need to secure future of his dynasty.
I wonder how would Bona react if Hedwig is choosen-IOTL she wanted her oldest daughter Isabella (born 1519) to marry Dauphin but her plans failed. Now her step-daughter is going to be queen when her own daughter is not?

Hedwig has advantage of age, Henry can't wait long, he need to secure future of his dynasty.
I wonder how would Bona react if Hedwig is choosen-IOTL she wanted her oldest daughter Isabella (born 1519) to marry Dauphin but her plans failed. Now her step-daughter is going to be queen when her own daughter is not?

Cheer up, Bona, Zapolya'll be looking for a wife soon enough. Then your daughter can be "queen" and you can show those Habsburgs what you think of them

And I thought the divorce was 100% Henry's fault with little outside prodding. I thought that was simply his means to get in Anne Boleyn's pants (to get a son).

Well... makes it somewhat difficult to feel sorry for her when she fell out of favor
Her parents whored out her sister to the King earlier. Anne didn't want to end up like that. Men in high positions could get away with a lot and using their daughters to warm the beds of the monarch was a great way to get ahead. The Duke of Norfolk did the same using Catherine Howard, deceiving the king into thinking she was a virgin. Turns out she, unlike Anne, actually DID turn out to cheat on him. The enormous, three hundred pound man with legs covered in sores using puss, who needed a crane to be taken upstairs. Anyways, the Duke was in a high enough position in the nobility to stay have and secure as his niece got the chop. And for Anne... Well, she wasn't submissive enough to be an acceptable queen without bringing some kids to the table. Katherine of Aragon was old with about ten miscarriages by the time of the annulment. Henry would have married someone, as otherwise the stability of England was at risk.

Edit: I really should start paying better attention to the dates on posts...

She got the wife she wanted for her son, and Hedwig has six years on Isabella, so she can afford to be generous (read: she's stuck with her husband's decision, like it or not) in this instance. It's still family on the English throne and James V isn't married......

Of course, if Henry (via Charles) goes Dorothea, this is a moot point.

Dorothea is a child here. Of course she'd be 14 or near enough by the time of the wedding which is just fine for back in those days.

Hedwig is 20, more mature, at least physically, and you'd have to guess mentally as well. I understand the education that royal children receive, but you'd have to think with more time to learn Hedwig would have an advantage and be more intellectually stimulating to H8. After losing Anne. this might be what Henry's after.

On the other hand, Dorothea has slightly more youth on her side. All the better to survive child birth, at least by what was known in those days, and more time to have many babies.

So, I'd say it's up to what Henry's mindset is here. If he's looking for a better all around match as a wife, Hedwig might get the nod. If he's more concerned with his legacy and fathering boy children and just needs a legitimate brood mare, it might swing Dorothea's way.