The most recent idea that entered my head as of late involves keeping Scotland independent from England and making it a decent power in its own right.

For this to happen, the accession of James VI (I) to the English throne in 1603 absolutely has to be avoided. Since Elizabeth I would probably never marry, the next best option I see involves a longer-lived Edward VI Tudor.

Some direct consequences I can see of a longer-lived Edward VI:
  • The spread of Protestantism in England would most certainly be accelerated.
  • The English would keep Calais. Mary picked a fight with France (IIRC) and lost it, against all odds and expectations, in a surprise attack. But ITTL, Mary never ascends the throne.
  • Edward VI would likely be much more inclined to support the Dutch Revolt, which would be far more successful in TTL. As the English hold Calais, they can supply and link up to the rebels rather easily, which leads me to believe that Flanders and Brabant could be retained by the Republic.
  • Due to the continuation of the Tudor dynasty, the union between Scotland and England of 1603 is butterflied.
That said, for the rest I'm largely drawing a blank on what could happen next. What other consequences on European (and global) history could arise from a continued Tudor England and an independent Scotland? (Plus the beefier Dutch Republic, by extension)

Addendum: Another PoD I was toying with in regards to Scottish history was to have James IV win at Flodden Field in 1513, instead of dying there with his nobles. I figure that some more years of James IV, plus a James V who is never propelled to the throne at age 1, could make for a more stable Scotland in the 16th century. Furthermore, with Solway Moss butterflied, James V would probably live longer too, maybe even sire more heirs. Overall, I think averting the demise of James IV might do some good wonders for Scotland.

Of course, it really depends on how big James IV's victory over at Flodden is, as well as on his next step. Does he press further into England? Is Henry VIII pressured to return from France? What happens if James IV manages to take more of northern England? Lots of question marks here, too.

I decided against creating a separate thread for James IV since both of these PoDs intend to accomplish more or less the same thing, i.e. independent Scotland. Besides, butterflies from James winning at Flodden might prevent Edward VI's death anyway. Who knows? Both of these PoD ideas are two sides of the same coin, so I figure it makes more sense to just have one thread here.

Thanks for the replies!

Elizabeth would probably marry if Mary Stewart had a son by Francis II of France. ‘Beefier’ Dutch republic sounds very fun
If Mary and Francis had a son, wouldn't that set the stone for a Franco-Scottish personal union? That's not what I'm looking for, I'm trying to get an independent Scotland.

Elizabeth would be married off If her brother the king lived longer.
To whom do you think she could be wed?

The most recent idea that entered my head as of late involves keeping Scotland independent from England and making it a decent power in its own right.

For this to happen, the accession of James VI (I) to the English throne in 1603 absolutely has to be avoided. Since Elizabeth I would probably never marry, the next best option I see involves a longer-lived Edward VI Tudor.

Some direct consequences I can see of a longer-lived Edward VI:
  • The spread of Protestantism in England would most certainly be accelerated.
  • The English would keep Calais. Mary picked a fight with France (IIRC) and lost it, against all odds and expectations, in a surprise attack. But ITTL, Mary never ascends the throne.
  • Edward VI would likely be much more inclined to support the Dutch Revolt, which would be far more successful in TTL. As the English hold Calais, they can supply and link up to the rebels rather easily, which leads me to believe that Flanders and Brabant could be retained by the Republic.
  • Due to the continuation of the Tudor dynasty, the union between Scotland and England of 1603 is butterflied.
That said, for the rest I'm largely drawing a blank on what could happen next. What other consequences on European (and global) history could arise from a continued Tudor England and an independent Scotland? (Plus the beefier Dutch Republic, by extension)

Addendum: Another PoD I was toying with in regards to Scottish history was to have James IV win at Flodden Field in 1513, instead of dying there with his nobles. I figure that some more years of James IV, plus a James V who is never propelled to the throne at age 1, could make for a more stable Scotland in the 16th century. Furthermore, with Solway Moss butterflied, James V would probably live longer too, maybe even sire more heirs. Overall, I think averting the demise of James IV might do some good wonders for Scotland.

Of course, it really depends on how big James IV's victory over at Flodden is, as well as on his next step. Does he press further into England? Is Henry VIII pressured to return from France? What happens if James IV manages to take more of northern England? Lots of question marks here, too.

I decided against creating a separate thread for James IV since both of these PoDs intend to accomplish more or less the same thing, i.e. independent Scotland. Besides, butterflies from James winning at Flodden might prevent Edward VI's death anyway. Who knows? Both of these PoD ideas are two sides of the same coin, so I figure it makes more sense to just have one thread here.

then for this answer we need to address two particular different events, which in theory can compromise the existence or occurrence of the other, let's start from the simplest, the survival of Edward VI as monarch, if we take his short Otl government as an example ( remembering which was in any case under guardianship ) the omens are not very good anyway, we will see a bloodthirsty king against anyone who does not conform to his rigid Calvinism, so it would be a much worse nightmare than Elisabeth's Otl reign for the English and Irish Catholics ( who would be more active in seeking foreign support, primarily Spanish, against the sovereign's policies ) I don't understand why his survival could influence the Dutch revolt more than OTL, after all Bessie also supported the rebels, but this did not cause too many additional difficulties for Spain, especially if Edward also intervenes in the French wars of religion in favor of the Huguenots ( as Elisabeth Otl did ) and perhaps acts against Mary Stuart and her possible descendants, paradoxically this helps the Spanish because it would see France ( the Catholic and royalist factions ) siding with them against England, without forgetting that in his short reign Edward had gone to war with Paris

leaving this topic aside for now, let's move on to how a more lasting reign of James IV could actually benefit Scotland, indeed before his death he was actively implementing centralist policies, with the aim of subjugating the powerful nobility of the kingdom, in theory even one of his eventual defeat at Flodden but surviving it could still be good for the kingdom, because it avoids the power vacuum caused by his death ( which was then repeated with his son ) I hardly see Scotland having the ability to conquer and hold the north of England , it would require London to be continually distracted by France or permanently paralyzed ( like the death of Henry VIII in war ) but this would only create an opportunity for the Stuarts to try to obtain the English throne, certainly not the independence of Scotland

Last edited:
There is one easier option that none of us are considering. Kill Mary, Queen of Scots, before she has a son. Next in line to the throne is James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Châtellerault, 2nd Earl of Arran (c. 1519 – 22 January 1575) who IOTL is heir presumptive to the Kingdom of Scotland on four separate dates (2 July 1536 – 22 May 1540; April 1541– 8 December 1542; 14 December 1542 – 19 June 1566; 29 July 1567 – 22 January 1575). His claim to the English throne is via a Beaufort, and they're bastards and it's so distant that the thrones of England and Scotland could never be united at Liz I's death, meaning we'd probably get Katherine Grey's kids to the throne. This allows Scotland to be separate as, whenever Mary, Queen of Scots dies, Arran has no English claim.

There is one easier option that none of us are considering. Kill Mary, Queen of Scots, before she has a son. Next in line to the throne is James Hamilton, 1st Duke of Châtellerault, 2nd Earl of Arran (c. 1519 – 22 January 1575) who IOTL is heir presumptive to the Kingdom of Scotland on four separate dates (2 July 1536 – 22 May 1540; April 1541– 8 December 1542; 14 December 1542 – 19 June 1566; 29 July 1567 – 22 January 1575). His claim to the English throne is via a Beaufort, and they're bastards and it's so distant that the thrones of England and Scotland could never be united at Liz I's death, meaning we'd probably get Katherine Grey's kids to the throne. This allows Scotland to be separate as, whenever Mary, Queen of Scots dies, Arran has no English claim.
That would be good only if his claim was unchallenged, but it is not and you can be sure who the Lennoxs would challenge the validity of his parents’ marriage and then we have a civil war in Scotland and a strong claimant to both the English and the Scottish crowns as Lennox has the next best claim to Scotland and his wife would be the senior heiress of Henry VII after Elizabeth

Edward VI would likely be much more inclined to support the Dutch Revolt, which would be far more successful in TTL. As the English hold Calais, they can supply and link up to the rebels rather easily, which leads me to believe that Flanders and Brabant could be retained by the Republic.

I do think Edward VI is much more likely to try and get the Dutch estates to accept him as a monarch than Elizabeth was otl- especially if he still has Calais. His Calvinism is also probably more acceptable to the Dutch than Elizabeth’s prevarication.

That would be good only if his claim was unchallenged, but it is not and you can be sure who the Lennoxs would challenge the validity of his parents’ marriage and then we have a civil war in Scotland and a strong claimant to both the English and the Scottish crowns as Lennox has the next best claim to Scotland and his wife would be the senior heiress of Henry VII after Elizabeth
Remember, Henry VIII's will (and the 1543 Act of Succession) cut Margaret Tudor's line out. If Edward lives longer, or marries Elizabeth to someone appropriate, they're less important than a piece of chewed gum under a table.