Why wasn't Gustave Whitehead credited with "first flight" ahead of the Wrights?

What if Whitehead had been credited?
  • I like the aspect of the "what if Whitehead had been credited" … it ties in with what I've learned about early aviation history from primary sources. If Whitehead had been FULLY credited (which he was to a degree, up through at least 1911, by those who interviewed and knew of his flights):
    1. The Wrights wouldn't have won their case against Curtiss and many of the others they sued
    2. American aviation would have developed unchecked by the fear of Wright suits
    3. WWI might not have occurred, and thus, no WWII (no Nazi rise, no concentration camps or attempts at world domination, which derived from the impact of WWI on Germany)
    4. Whitehead might have had the financing he needed from sponsors willing to go the long haul with him
    5. Wilbur might have lived to a ripe old age (the stress of the suits was what Orville claimed killed him, though he did contract typhoid)
    6. We might never have thought Orville was anything but a younger brother and helper to Wilbur
    7. Glenn Curtiss might have emerged as the premiere aviation pioneer who further developed the aeroplane.
    8. Whitehead's family might not have lived in abject poverty.
    9. Whitehead might have lived to a ripe old age (he died in his early 50's)
    10. There'd be exhibits at Smithsonian showing the public what Whitehead's true accomplishments were, as well as more credit to Curtiss.
    11. Fairfield, CT might be comparable to or surpass Kitty Hawk.
    etc. :)

I need feedback. Is this more in line with your site rules? Because it is FUN, no doubt about it.